Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sindai posted:

spoilers: When they make V3 everyone is going to go berserk because the economy and population models will be simplified into something they can actually maintain and expand on later.

If Wiz's horrified tweets about the V2 code were to be believed, it seems unlikely just build on V2 like they did EU3 to EU4.

The population model would make me go beserk, simplifying the economy would be incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VostokProgram posted:

Hello Descartes, welcome to paradox thread
It's Anselm, you philistine.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The population model would make me go beserk, simplifying the economy would be incredibly good.
Less breadth, more depth, would be good. Like, halving (or more) the number of goods but having the whole supply line not be entirely abstracted.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 10, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think the number of goods is the problem with the Vicky 2 economy that gets everyone upset. It's the way the market works and how pops buy and sell goods, which is a black box that the player has no way to inspect and understand. Halving the number of goods wouldn't change that.

Also, a variety of different goods with some of them only available in certain parts of the world is useful. It gives the player some motivation to colonize and conquer besides just painting the map their color

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I don't think the number of goods is the problem with the Vicky 2 economy that gets everyone upset. It's the way the market works and how pops buy and sell goods, which is a black box that the player has no way to inspect and understand. Halving the number of goods wouldn't change that.

Also, a variety of different goods with some of them only available in certain parts of the world is useful. It gives the player some motivation to colonize and conquer besides just painting the map their color
It's more that I'm thinking Paradox would have an easier time making the AI behave somewhat sensibly with a global market that takes into account tariffs and transportation, if the number of goods was lower. But you're right about the whole motivation for conquest thing, and I really think that should be the core driver of the international bits of the economic system - and I might be misremembering just how many different types of goods Vicky 2 had.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradox should make a production tycoon sort of game called "Clipper Shipyard" all about managing a 1800's shipyard and dealing with changing demands and resource costs and eventually changing technology. They could have a STEAMER DLC expansion.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If the word Tariff appears anywhere in the V3 design doc then Paradox are fools.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I like having a somewhat detailed economy but TBH even vicky 2 doesn't quite utilise it to it's greatest, because it's not really possible to apply economic pressure to groups or countries upsetting you. It ends up being the trade system from EUIV But More, being a confusing system of generating money to fund your army.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wukkar posted:

If the word Tariff appears anywhere in the V3 design doc then Paradox are fools.

tariffs were one of the most important political issues of the day, an industrial revolution game shouldn't avoid them

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

spectralent posted:

I like having a somewhat detailed economy but TBH even vicky 2 doesn't quite utilise it to it's greatest, because it's not really possible to apply economic pressure to groups or countries upsetting you. It ends up being the trade system from EUIV But More, being a confusing system of generating money to fund your army.
Yeah, the army/navy should be the thing generating money for your economy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

One thing I would like to see is a HOI-like army automator because late game mobilised armies are loving something else.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

One thing I would like to see is a HOI-like army automator because late game mobilised armies are loving something else.

Yeah playing a late-game China is a micromanagement nightmare because even your standing army is like 300+ divisions. Being able to sort your army into groups and just give HoI4 style strategic orders to the groups would make warfare a lot less of a pain.

As for the Victoria economy, it's actually not really that complicated at all. The main problem is that it FEELS complicated because the game does a very bad job of communicating what's going on. Really, the Vicky economy is just a big pool of producers and consumers, which more or less try to balance each other out but don't do a great job of it for various reasons. The player's ability to interact with this system is also very minimal which helps to contribute to the whole "black box" feeling. Pretty much all you can do is set up customized buy orders to stockpile goods if you're trying to throttle the world supply, assuming you're high enough in the great power rankings to actually be able to succeed at it. In a hypothetical Victoria 3, I think that rather than simplifying the economy, the player just needs more tools to interact with it. Things like trade embargoes or being able to set up naval blockades to stop or alter the flow of goods would have a much more noticeable impact and also feel natural to the period and the gameplay in general.

Something like trade lanes would also be an intuitive way to display the flow of goods to the player - everyone would still be able to sell goods to anyone else, but the actual flow of goods would be tracked from the selling nation to the buying nation and contribute to the "size" of the trade lane. They could be pre-defined like EU4 trade routes, or dynamic based on actual trade activity (although I could see this becoming a huge disorganized mess without some system to "cluster" trade into shared lanes rather than just everything taking the most direct route). Then your tariff income would be based on control of those lanes and how much actual trade was flowing through them. This would also mean that controlling say, the Suez or Panama canals would actually have an intrinsic value because of how they disrupt the flow of trade, rather than just giving a yearly flat "you got 10,000 monies" bonus.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baudin posted:

I play too much Victoria 2 for how old and buggy it is - please give me more pops to choose from (in vicky 3)

If every single human being is not a pop of their own, Vicky 3 will be a failure to rival Spore and No Man's Sky :colbert:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah playing a late-game China is a micromanagement nightmare because even your standing army is like 300+ divisions. Being able to sort your army into groups and just give HoI4 style strategic orders to the groups would make warfare a lot less of a pain.

As for the Victoria economy, it's actually not really that complicated at all. The main problem is that it FEELS complicated because the game does a very bad job of communicating what's going on. Really, the Vicky economy is just a big pool of producers and consumers, which more or less try to balance each other out but don't do a great job of it for various reasons. The player's ability to interact with this system is also very minimal which helps to contribute to the whole "black box" feeling. Pretty much all you can do is set up customized buy orders to stockpile goods if you're trying to throttle the world supply, assuming you're high enough in the great power rankings to actually be able to succeed at it. In a hypothetical Victoria 3, I think that rather than simplifying the economy, the player just needs more tools to interact with it. Things like trade embargoes or being able to set up naval blockades to stop or alter the flow of goods would have a much more noticeable impact and also feel natural to the period and the gameplay in general.

Something like trade lanes would also be an intuitive way to display the flow of goods to the player - everyone would still be able to sell goods to anyone else, but the actual flow of goods would be tracked from the selling nation to the buying nation and contribute to the "size" of the trade lane. They could be pre-defined like EU4 trade routes, or dynamic based on actual trade activity (although I could see this becoming a huge disorganized mess without some system to "cluster" trade into shared lanes rather than just everything taking the most direct route). Then your tariff income would be based on control of those lanes and how much actual trade was flowing through them. This would also mean that controlling say, the Suez or Panama canals would actually have an intrinsic value because of how they disrupt the flow of trade, rather than just giving a yearly flat "you got 10,000 monies" bonus.

This is all good stuff.

I'm kind of wondering also if funding rebels/seperatists is period-appropriate for the game; I kind of feel like it should be at the very least for uncivs to represent paying off local tribes to revolt and drop a protectorate out of someone's sphere.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Vicky 3 should let you draw big arrows on the map like HOI4 except for trade goods not armies.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Just make sure you don't forget to manually move the right pops into the new factroy the capitalists have built.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I never got a hang of the V2 economy. I'd just fiddle with sliders randomly until I was making green.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Funky Valentine posted:

I never got a hang of the V2 economy. I'd just fiddle with sliders randomly until I was making green.

That's the maximum extent anyone, including the people who made the game, can understand the V2 economy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Funky Valentine posted:

Congrats, here's your degree.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Every world leader posted:

I never got a hang of the economy. I'd just fiddle with tax rate randomly until I was making green.

Hence, Vicky 2 is the perfect game.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In Vicky3 you will play as a specific named character like in ck2, so funnelling as much from the state budget to your personal fund will be important, as it is one of the score factors at the end of the game.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Vicky 3? Pssh, All the cool kids are still waiting on EU: Rome II

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually, in V3, your pops in your states will be represented by icons in 5x5 tiles.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

every time you purchase a commodity from the world market you will be able to assign it directly to a slot in one of your factories

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah! :c00l:

:smith:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

In Vicky3 you will play as a specific named character like in ck2, so funnelling as much from the state budget to your personal fund will be important, as it is one of the score factors at the end of the game.

So Tropico?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

It's funny, they really could go the whole hog in testing out the things that have worked from CK2 and the DLCs using that to try and create a better whole after all the stuff the DLCs have added.

I mean, wasn't EU:R1 a sorta proto CK or am I misremembering? Was that Senkoku?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sengoku was the proto-CK2

CK1 came out before EU:Rome

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most of EU:R's concepts never made it into another paradox game, which is a shame, because it had some really dang cool ideas. Still the best internal politics system in a paradox game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
How playable is it these days? Are there any essential mods? I've been meaning to give it a go for a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

How playable is it these days? Are there any essential mods? I've been meaning to give it a go for a while.

It wasn't especially good overall even back then. Wiz released a pretty solid overhaul mod that comes recommended. Without it, I don't think the game is worth playing other than for curiosity's sake. With it, it's alright. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/reign-of-the-ancients-features.502885/

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Cool thanks, people talk about it so much I figure I ought to give it a go at least. There's also a sale on the Paradox store right now that has it for $2.50.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Vicky3, which will be VR and set in your office, will actually include Rome 2 as a boardgame your character (and you!) can play to unwind after spending a long day seeing just how little you can invest in workplace safety before too many labourers start dying.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I actually have no idea what EU:Rome really is. I've never touched the thing or even watched a LP of it or anything.
What are the unique ideas the game has people always go on about?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Province governors had families and politics and armies would form loyalties to their general and potentially join him in a coup.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Demiurge4 posted:

Province governors had families and politics and armies would form loyalties to their general and potentially join him in a coup.

Yeah, it was a weird mix between EU's realm-focused expansion and CK2's character-focused intrigue. I was sort of hoping at one point that Stellaris could go that way, by making sector and planet governors a thing that always exists and who vie for influence in your empire, but the governor system hasn't really been touched since release.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Groogy posted:

I actually have no idea what EU:Rome really is. I've never touched the thing or even watched a LP of it or anything.

wait you didn't read Wiz's LP? :psyduck:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Crete belongs in the LP hall of fame. It also had the moment of Wiz posting that the LP was switching to videos as a joke and goons believed.

Of course, this was before video LPs of Paradox games actually became a thing

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Groogy posted:

As a barbarian (in Wiz's mod so they are actually remotely playable) you can go bankrupt because you have too many units that are loyal to their general cause you can't disband those and your budget might start making GBS threads itself if even one trade route fails.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Goa Tse-tung posted:

wait you didn't read Wiz's LP? :psyduck:

I read Hozenhollern and AzeriLP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there were a not-trivial amount of people who registered in SA just to be able to vote in the Crete LP