Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

King Vidiot posted:

The general "formula" for most modern horror games is, you take a gated-off area full of places to hide and unleash an unkillable monster of some kind to play hide and seek with the player. Then the player has to either initiate the cutscene to unlock the path, find a key or equivalent or activate a generator or something. Then repeat for the next area.

The thing that Amnesia right did that everyone seems to miss is that they used the monsters to get you to *move* more than they did so to make you *hide*. Occasionally there were wandering monsters in an open area, but more often they pushed you towards your objective.

Versus, say, Oulast, where it's a big game of waiting until you can rush the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, that happens in A:I, too. If you crouch walk everywhere and hide under desks and poo poo for no reason, the alien will eventually just find you. The best way to progress is walking (not running) but not idling around, either.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Firstborn posted:

Well, that happens in A:I, too. If you crouch walk everywhere and hide under desks and poo poo for no reason, the alien will eventually just find you. The best way to progress is walking (not running) but not idling around, either.

The issue is more that it moved randomly rather than intentionally pushing you forward, so it was a lot more of a stalling action.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe a low bar, but basically the best piece of Alien media since the Cameron sequel. I know there's some Alien3 apologists, and somebody will inevitably remember the Capcom AvP brawler or the FPS more fondly, but A:I is a drat fine piece of Alien. Also, not for nothing, but they completely nailed the look - A:I was scarier to me just because of how good it looks. The effects are baller

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the fps is better and scarier (the good one not the more recent one).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which one there's like 6 Aliens FPSs

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ I assume he means like AVP2. Nostalgia is a thing.

Let's be honest, the best part of any Alien game is the first 15 minutes where it's a Ridley Scott/James Cameron Walking Simulator with melted floors and hissing pipes that suspiciously sound like aliens. Then the alien shows up :shrug:
(A:I stretches that a good bit, and some of it's best moments in my opinion)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah my favourite bits of Isolation were when I didn't have to worry about the Alien shanking me from behind when I hadn't seen a save point for thirty minutes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Firstborn posted:

/\/\/\ I assume he means like AVP2. Nostalgia is a thing.

the game was rereleased not all that long ago.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You are referring to the 2001 game? Is that too late to be nostalgic for? :kiddo:

Same year as like Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, MGS 2, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, the first DMC... Lots of 2s. I wasn't implying that AVP2 is a bad game or anything, but scarier than A:I? I don't know about that one.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 10, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alien Isolation was really good until the Alien started killing me a whole bunch of times in a row, then it just became frustrating and broke the otherwise very well-done feeling of immersion. I honestly would have preferred it if the game just lied to me by making certain sections unable to be failed, but still gave the illusion of tension.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like that mix of the illusion of death and actual death is important for a horror game. Too much of the latter is frustrating and too much of the former isn't scary.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Firstborn posted:

You are referring to the 2001 game? Is that too late to be nostalgic for? :kiddo:

Same year as like Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, MGS 2, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, the first DMC... Lots of 2s. I wasn't implying that AVP2 is a bad game or anything, but scarier than A:I? I don't know about that one.

I think he means AVP2010 which is legit good, but it's not a horror game.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Was that the one with the conga line of sync kill finishers?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Firstborn posted:

Was that the one with the conga line of sync kill finishers?

In multiplayer? Yes.

But it did have an awesome Infestation mode where everyone was a marine save for one player as the Alien, but everyone he killed came back as an Alien so it was an amazing war of attrition. I had some good times with Goons on that mode.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Yancy_Street posted:

I'm a little tipsy on a Sunday, so I thought I'd recommend a few horror games I've enjoyed recently:

Dead Secret - probably my favorite game in a while. Excellent writing and a lot of smart literary metaphors. If you remember that short from the Tales from the Darkside movie about the gargoyles, you'll really enjoy this one.
Kraven Manor - shockingly good short FPS game made by a small team of college students with a fun Tetris-esque room design motif.
Albino Lullaby - best goddamned non-jump scare "weird and disturbing = scary" game I can think of. Can't wait for the next episode.
Darkwood - really drat clever. I love the camera perspective and art style. Way more of an actual game than most horror games these days.
The Count Lucanor - like a weird and funny and creepy Zelda. Amazing game.
Maize - hilariously dumb with creepy moments.
This Strange Realm of Mine - an insane, weird Doom-ish 2.5D game written by a 13 year old who is also insane.

Thanks for the reviews. It's great to hear about smaller games that don't get much exposure.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Agreed. Definitely going to look some of these up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

7 years is quite a bit of time

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let me put in a recommendation for Morph Girl. Has some good atmosphere to it. Kinda Her Story-ish, in that it's FMV. http://store.steampowered.com/app/688260/Morph_Girl/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

that game sucked rear end. lol why would i mean that one and not the good one.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bogart posted:

Let me put in a recommendation for Morph Girl. Has some good atmosphere to it. Kinda Her Story-ish, in that it's FMV. http://store.steampowered.com/app/688260/Morph_Girl/

Oh I was planning on picking this up sometime, it looks like it could be pretty interesting

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I also really liked Dead Secret. Though I wonder if the intense tension I felt while playing it wasn't just me playing it in VR. I've played enough horror games that bad atmosphere usually doesn't scare me, but so far in VR almost everything does get me, independent of quality. It's very short but I also got it pretty cheap so: It's also a rec from me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Groovelord Neato posted:

that game sucked rear end. lol why would i mean that one and not the good one.

I misread but AVP2010 is a good shooter, while AVP2001 feels like a fan mod for Quake 1 and is mad rough around the edges. It's aged like milk. Really wish I got to play it when it was first released.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

AVP2010 was stupid as hell but also fun in MP.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So outside of I guess The Impatient, is there anything involving horror that is looking to really utilize VR? Out of all the genres I would think Horror has arguably the most to gain from even the worst aspects of VR at this point what with the bad controls, ability to nauseate and suck a player further into the game could be utilized as a sense of helplessness in some sort of horror setting. Even if its basically a randomly generated bad dream, something so simple and wild that it could work with what people understand and can pull off with this poo poo.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Meallan posted:

I also really liked Dead Secret. Though I wonder if the intense tension I felt while playing it wasn't just me playing it in VR. I've played enough horror games that bad atmosphere usually doesn't scare me, but so far in VR almost everything does get me, independent of quality. It's very short but I also got it pretty cheap so: It's also a rec from me.
A friend got this for me during the last sale and I played it non-VR and it was still really good, not nearly as tense as in VR I imagine but I liked the tone of the game and the murder mystery was really interesting.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I really liked AVP2010 in MP. Anyone remember Aliens: Online? I have a vague memory of it, but it was aliens vs. marines, but you start off as a chestburster as an alien. It was cool. I also think someone on the server got to be the Queen.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

A friend got this for me during the last sale and I played it non-VR and it was still really good, not nearly as tense as in VR I imagine but I liked the tone of the game and the murder mystery was really interesting.
Yeah, the game did a really good job of introducing the oni-masked killer. It's setup in such a dreamlike way that you don't really think it's really, and it just creeps up on you in the stairs....slowly but surely. I can only imagine that must have worked even better in VR.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, I really liked AVP2010 in MP. Anyone remember Aliens: Online? I have a vague memory of it, but it was aliens vs. marines, but you start off as a chestburster as an alien. It was cool. I also think someone on the server got to be the Queen.

This game was really cool because the people on the marine side got to chat with each other ahead of time while the aliens players did not so it organically had it so that the marines would kind of sort of have a strategy/planning going in while the alien players would be less predictable.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Crabtree posted:

So outside of I guess The Impatient, is there anything involving horror that is looking to really utilize VR? Out of all the genres I would think Horror has arguably the most to gain from even the worst aspects of VR at this point what with the bad controls, ability to nauseate and suck a player further into the game could be utilized as a sense of helplessness in some sort of horror setting. Even if its basically a randomly generated bad dream, something so simple and wild that it could work with what people understand and can pull off with this poo poo.

There was, uh. Wilson's Heart? Dunno how that turned out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Yancy_Street posted:

I'm a little tipsy on a Sunday, so I thought I'd recommend a few horror games I've enjoyed recently:

Dead Secret - probably my favorite game in a while. Excellent writing and a lot of smart literary metaphors. If you remember that short from the Tales from the Darkside movie about the gargoyles, you'll really enjoy this one.
Kraven Manor - shockingly good short FPS game made by a small team of college students with a fun Tetris-esque room design motif.
Albino Lullaby - best goddamned non-jump scare "weird and disturbing = scary" game I can think of. Can't wait for the next episode.
Darkwood - really drat clever. I love the camera perspective and art style. Way more of an actual game than most horror games these days.
This Strange Realm of Mine - an insane, weird Doom-ish 2.5D game written by a 13 year old who is also insane.

I've added a bunch of these to my waiting list, thanks.

Maize is carried by its story which is pretty amusing throughout. Mechanically the game could have been somewhat better. I am, however, glad they highlighted every object you can interact with.

Dead Secret can get pretty creepy even without VR, so definitely check this one out. It has this Android-game vibe to it that just pulls you in despite looking, well, like an Android game ported to the PC.

The Count Lucanor is actually a pretty good game, but it just flew under the radar pretty hard. Yet another argument against Discoverability. Definitely pick this one up when you get the chance.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, I've been poking around-- any recommendations on the Must Have or Everything's Terrible list of Deadly Premonition mods/fixes for the PC port? I've got a serious itch to play it again. Would prefer better controller support, but I think I found the only working patch that exists for it already.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Yancy_Street posted:

Yeah thanks for this! Good content

Reminds me of that dude that does daily horror game reviews every day in October, I hope he does it again this year :shobon:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

This game was really cool because the people on the marine side got to chat with each other ahead of time while the aliens players did not so it organically had it so that the marines would kind of sort of have a strategy/planning going in while the alien players would be less predictable.

That's a really drat good idea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder how many people who tried to play The Evil Within earnestly completely gave up on chapter 10. There were some fun slow moving action segments but then it ends with maybe the worst chase sequence I've seen in a video game where you basically have to trial and error through it to find all the switches that shut off the fire while avoiding a teleporting one-hit-kill monster. Would it have been too much to just have the monster injure you? Why the gently caress do I even have a health bar? It's like every chapter was designed by a different person and while I surely wouldn't mind an anthology horror game, that sounds awesome, someone should've been fired for this!

Seeing Laura in the sequel I'm instantly triggered.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a trophy for killing her during that bit but it's pretty hard (impossible) if you're not in NG+ though.
Honestly the worst of the game is over by that point but it still has some annoyances left.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had gotten through it, realized that by not killing her I miss a key, restarted and went through basically all my ammo to kill her and it was the most cathartic experience in a video game. Then you're thrown into another boss arena because this chapter wasn't long enough but at least that one has the courteousy to not insta-gib you.

e: This game is so schizophrenic and I just want to read the design document to see how it evolved. It's like one director wanted a straight action survival-horror so you get these beautiful levels reminiscent of Resident Evil 4 where they take the core gameplay but throw in a cute gimmick like a spinning blade carousel or rooms with traps you can actually trick enemies into (complete bullshit they don't trigger environmental traps btw). But the other director was reminded this is supposed to be atmospheric horror so here's a series of chases and puzzles to further the plot but if you gently caress up you're dead and the checkpoint was 15 minutes ago.

I'm still really interested in the sequel but it better tone down on the nonsense. Take the Silent Hill Scenario Generator plot device and just whisk me away to various clever challenge rooms because I'm eating this stuff up.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 12, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

switches that shut off the fire while avoiding a teleporting one-hit-kill monster.
That was absolutely the worst segment and they should've patched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think it was worse than the randomly appearing one hit kill ghost house but yeah.