Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

greazeball posted:

Go fast, ~disrupt~ things, leave a Craigslist ad liquidating the office chairs at a modest discount

I feel this is more in the spirit of this thread :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The real question is whether or not all the batteries are used in wear leveling or not. If so it'd be like paying to "upgrade" your SSD by unlocking all the memory used for wear leveling.

Slanderer posted:

That is not a real question

How is that not a real question? It has a direct impact on the manufacturer's cost to service the warranty - so if they are to take on that extra risk to allow you to use the battery pack "harder" they charge you more....... From both an electronics and cost standpoint this seems quite normal.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
For the CPUs at least part of the reason for same chip different speeds/prices is that due to irregularities in the manufacturing some chips simply aren't able to run at as high a clock speed as others without errors or overheating. To avoid throwing the worse ones away they just lower the performance specs until the function reliably and sell them cheaper.

For a car related example, the two lower range Mustangs have the same ecoboost engine, but in the cheaper of the two it's limited to 130 mph. Some car magazine decided to see what would happen if they removed the governor. Turns out that it could hit 150mph, right up until the cheaper driveshaft in that model exploded.

Neither of these are what tesla is doing, exactly. That's "pay us to use the fully functionality of the hardware you bought, and if you try to get around it, we'll try to shut down your car".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Man With A Plan posted:

For the CPUs at least part of the reason for same chip different speeds/prices is that due to irregularities in the manufacturing some chips simply aren't able to run at as high a clock speed as others without errors or overheating. To avoid throwing the worse ones away they just lower the performance specs until the function reliably and sell them cheaper.

For a car related example, the two lower range Mustangs have the same ecoboost engine, but in the cheaper of the two it's limited to 130 mph. Some car magazine decided to see what would happen if they removed the governor. Turns out that it could hit 150mph, right up until the cheaper driveshaft in that model exploded.

Neither of these are what tesla is doing, exactly. That's "pay us to use the fully functionality of the hardware you bought, and if you try to get around it, we'll try to shut down your car".

tesla being able to remotely do a poo poo ton of stuff to your car without your permission is a disaster waiting to happen

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 10, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Man With A Plan posted:

IIRC there were some straight up "buy license code to unlock more core" CPUs though.

quote:

Yeah and that's quite scummy.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah the CPU analogy doesn't really work because in most cases they're binning based on the frequency they can run stably at.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Condiv posted:

tesla being able to remote do a poo poo ton of stuff to your car without your permission is a disaster waiting to happen

Perhaps, but it has some safety benefits as well. After one of the early accidents that resulted in the batteries catching fire, their engineers figured out that raising the chassis by an inch would reduce the chances of tgat happening in other accidents without significantly changing how the car performed. So they pushed a firmware update to do that.

I'm not sure I'd personally like that, and there is definitely room for issues, but its not all bad.

If its any consolation, most automobiles can do this today, just not remotely. If your car has a recall on, I dunno, the accelerator pedal, they're probably updating the firmware at the same time.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ynglaur posted:

Perhaps, but it has some safety benefits as well. After one of the early accidents that resulted in the batteries catching fire, their engineers figured out that raising the chassis by an inch would reduce the chances of tgat happening in other accidents without significantly changing how the car performed. So they pushed a firmware update to do that.

I'm not sure I'd personally like that, and there is definitely room for issues, but its not all bad.

If its any consolation, most automobiles can do this today, just not remotely. If your car has a recall on, I dunno, the accelerator pedal, they're probably updating the firmware at the same time.

being able to do poo poo like this remotely opens users to nasty hacks if a hacker was so inclined to kill people

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

shrike82 posted:

Yeah the CPU analogy doesn't really work because in most cases they're binning based on the frequency they can run stably at.
At first, but it's not at all uncommon for later CPUs in a generation to keep binning even once almost all of them could run at the high specs. Sometimes the demand for the budget version is greater than the amount of slightly worse CPUs you accidentally make.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

shrike82 posted:

I can speak for finance (as an industry) and data science (as a vocation) but Matlab’s becoming increasingly irrelevant with most shops shifting wholly to a stack with R or Python.

It’d be interesting to read a post-mortem on Matlab’s business model - they did the usual Windows/Photoshop thing of getting their claws into you in college with student licenses and people ask to use them at work, but I wonder what uptake is at colleges these days v OSS equivalents.
At the very least Matlab can rely on loyalty from many academic fields, including my own, where basically every bit of code exchanged between groups is matlab. I can't imagine having to create publication-quality figures without matlab anymore.

And also lol at most of the python vs matlab coding examples google is showing me, none of these people know how to use matlab properly.

edit: otoh, gently caress indexing from 1

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 10, 2017

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ShadowHawk posted:

At first, but it's not at all uncommon for later CPUs in a generation to keep binning even once almost all of them could run at the high specs. Sometimes the demand for the budget version is greater than the amount of slightly worse CPUs you accidentally make.

Yeah, I'm sure Intel sells a ton of potential i7s as Celerons.

blowfish posted:

If you have problems with that, then you must have major issues with much of the software industry where they often charge large amounts of money for software that has almost zero marginal production cost. You probably also probably have issues with the publishing and entertainment businesses as well.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's not unreasonable for people to be annoyed with lovely pricing practices being imported from the IT industry to autos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Intel sells a ton of potential i7s as Celerons.

If you have problems with that, then you must have major issues with much of the software industry where they often charge large amounts of money for software that has almost zero marginal production cost. You probably also probably have issues with the publishing and entertainment businesses as well.

I do

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

blowfish posted:

Why is that scummy? The cheaper car having cheaper parts in it seems pretty reasonable.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

At the very least Matlab can rely on loyalty from many academic fields, including my own, where basically every bit of code exchanged between groups is matlab. I can't imagine having to create publication-quality figures without matlab anymore.

And also lol at most of the python vs matlab coding examples google is showing me, none of these people know how to use matlab properly.

edit: otoh, gently caress indexing from 1

It's almost all MATLAB here too, but I moved into python for some stuff just to be more marketable and FWIW figure creation would be one of the easiest things to get up to speed on. There are at least 2-3 packages that give you just as much control as MATLAB with better defaults and palette options. Not that it really matters since academics are the least-savvy consumers in the world so as long as you're with a university you're pretty much guaranteed to have a site license forever.

The only downside of knowing both is the near-certainty that I will gently caress up indexing once every Monday morning.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I don't see how software locking a battery is fundamentally different from software locking software. If you have a lite version of an app it'd cost the company nothing to let you have the full version instead, but they don't do that for free because they need/want more money.

Like I can see how on the surface it looks sillier, but under the hood it's just the usual price discrimination.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Cicero posted:

I don't see how software locking a battery is fundamentally different from software locking software. If you have a lite version of an app it'd cost the company nothing to let you have the full version instead, but they don't do that for free because they need/want more money.

Like I can see how on the surface it looks sillier, but under the hood it's just the usual price discrimination.

Many consumers seem to assume
price == quality == difficulty of production

This is evidence they're wrong, and those people hate being wrong. It's being tactlessly delivered in a way that also plants seeds of doubt on ownership

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

Why is that scummy? The cheaper car having cheaper parts in it seems pretty reasonable.

it's my loving car and by god i'm going to use it to the fullest extent possible (gently caress whoever built it)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cicero posted:

It's different in that one involves selling the customer equipment that will be wasted.

blowfish posted:

IIRC there were some straight up "buy license code to unlock more core" CPUs though.
There are examples of this back to the IBM tabulator days and sometimes it's the result of another company's patent that obligates the manufacturer to disable the tech until a royalty is paid. That would not be the case for a simple quantitative downgrade.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For the intel upgrade card thing,t he first processor it was for was a "Pentium" that you could pay $50 to add hyper-threading and an additional megabyte of unlocked cache, but maintain the existing 2.8 GHz speed. There was an i3 available for the same socket, for $15 more, which was equivalent to the "upgraded" Pentium except it was running at 2.93 GHz.

The next year they did it with new processors but in this case it was even more direct - 2 i3s that would be slightly improved to the speeds and cache of the next step up in i3 choices, and one Pentium that did the same to the next step up Pentium. In all cases the upgrade cost a lot more than just buying the better CPU from the start, and none crossed from the Pentium level to the i3 level.

Note that a lot of these processors would be of the level where they would just be included with pre-built computer systems, and as such the market wasn't really there for people who wanted mild performance upgrades like this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Condiv posted:

tesla being able to remotely do a poo poo ton of stuff to your car without your permission is a disaster waiting to happen
I think we're all about to find out exactly how good their security team is.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lamo, i didn't realize Tesla was doing price segmentation by firmware

Tesla (temporarily) remotely extends range of vehicles for free in Florida

Yeah it's been a known thing for a while. The tesla owners forums i glanced at briefly all recommended getting a 60 kWh version instead of 85, since you can wear down 25 kWh before actually wearing down the capacity you're allowed to use.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ynglaur posted:

See: food in most public schools. When bureaucrats try to create a healthy meal, you end up with a peanut butter sandwich with an inch of peanut butter thats inedible.

That's not "bureaucrats," it's decades of reduced funding and privatization. School meals were and are a massive boon for society.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

blowfish posted:

it's my loving car and by god i'm going to use it to the fullest extent possible (gently caress whoever built it)

:911: :clint:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

That's not "bureaucrats," it's decades of reduced funding and privatization. School meals were and are a massive boon for society.

Since this tends to happen with centrally planned food, I think you just reinforced my point. :newlol:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

Since this tends to happen with centrally planned food, I think you just reinforced my point. :newlol:

How stupid do you have to be to think centrally planned food naturally leads to privatization or reducing funding?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The real problem there seems like that it's kids eating the lovely food, and kids have little (direct) voice. If their parents had to eat the same crap it'd be a different story.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ynglaur posted:

you realize that the "public school food is lovely" thing is because public schools don't really cook food anymore and instead contract out to major foodservice firms like sysco or us foods? it's literally the same food they serve in prisons, supplied by the lowest bidder on the free market

or are you trying to say that huge food conglomerates are also "centrally planned food"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It would be pretty cool if we could set up a meal system that gave school kids decent food and also educated them on how to make it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RuanGacho posted:

It would be pretty cool if we could set up a meal system that gave school kids decent food and also educated them on how to make it.

Blue Apron 4 Kids - the latest in social entrepreneurship!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For what it's worth our public school food was always fine even if you were hopping between free lunch and reduced price like my family was. That's because our school had a good income from property tax and the district wasnt all about cutting costs willy nilly. New Jersey had then and still has now the principle of right to good education, based on state constitution and state Supreme Court rulings.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:smugdog:

https://www.wired.com/story/startups-are-finally-taking-on-food-stamps/

quote:

Thanks to new trends in civic technology, that’s beginning to change. Young tech workers have increasingly noticed the wide-open opportunity to bring disruption to outdated social programs. With a user base of nearly 43 million Americans, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which provides food stamps, is ripe for innovation.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

fullest kid in america

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Precisely :bahgawd:

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

The middle school I used to work at had its meal plan audited by the feds because they didn't believe our submitted menus were real. One of the auditors actually said 'You know you don't have to provide vegetables with every meal; you have salsa and ketchup available.' Actually, we do because everyone should eat vegetables? The teachers would take turns planning and cooking the lunches with a random handful of the kids helping. We would get these big tins of meat, blocks of cheese, etc. from the government to supplement our meal program, I assume because all our kids were from impoverished families. I hadn't realized that 'government cheese' was actually a thing and not just a saying. It was pretty great to teach at a tiny school.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

boner confessor posted:

you realize that the "public school food is lovely" thing is because public schools don't really cook food anymore and instead contract out to major foodservice firms like sysco or us foods? it's literally the same food they serve in prisons, supplied by the lowest bidder on the free market

or are you trying to say that huge food conglomerates are also "centrally planned food"

I didn't explain very well. I'm saying that in the US, an unfortunate result of having the government centralize food distribution is that it inevitably gets privatized, and the lowest bidder combined with bureaucratic rules results in bad food that is bad. I'm sure that 1" peanut butter sandwich is completely up to spec, so to speak, but it doesn't result in a good outcome.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

I didn't explain very well. I'm saying that in the US, an unfortunate result of having the government centralize food distribution is that it inevitably gets privatized, and the lowest bidder combined with bureaucratic rules results in bad food that is bad. I'm sure that 1" peanut butter sandwich is completely up to spec, so to speak, but it doesn't result in a good outcome.

When did the government EVER centralize food distribution in the US, even for single states and just their school food?

Your complaint is about some sort of alternate universe, because it sure isn't how any of these places work. At best you get centralized distribution for large town school districts.

Acinonyx posted:

We would get these big tins of meat, blocks of cheese, etc. from the government to supplement our meal program, I assume because all our kids were from impoverished families. I hadn't realized that 'government cheese' was actually a thing and not just a saying.

Yes those programs are generally part of programs that act to subsidize various sorts of farming. The government will have agreements to always be ready to purchase X amount of Y goods to provide a baseline for the market, and then since they don't actually need a whole warehouse full of basic cheeses, they'll be distributed onwards to various services for the poor, including in schools.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 11, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cost of marketing note: We bought and paid for a month's worth of Blue Apron for the aged parents. (They adored it.) In return, we got to give three free one-week boxes of Blue Apron to friends. Mine -- I am my own best friend and have multiple email accounts -- was two meals for a family of four, which hit the maximum benefit of $71.00. There are two more out there.

I have no idea what the true cost of a BlueApron box is; I think I've heard they're selling at a loss, but I'm not sure. But they're giving away a lot of free goods in response to a 4-week purchase, in hopes of luring more people to subscribe. You have to give a credit card number, of course, but you can cancel after getting the free shipment. I can't see Blue Apron as the Columbia Records of food, given that most people will notice an extra hundred dollars on the credit card.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Cost of marketing note: We bought and paid for a month's worth of Blue Apron for the aged parents. (They adored it.) In return, we got to give three free one-week boxes of Blue Apron to friends. Mine -- I am my own best friend and have multiple email accounts -- was two meals for a family of four, which hit the maximum benefit of $71.00. There are two more out there.

I have no idea what the true cost of a BlueApron box is; I think I've heard they're selling at a loss, but I'm not sure. But they're giving away a lot of free goods in response to a 4-week purchase, in hopes of luring more people to subscribe. You have to give a credit card number, of course, but you can cancel after getting the free shipment. I can't see Blue Apron as the Columbia Records of food, given that most people will notice an extra hundred dollars on the credit card.
The high cost of customer acquisition probably wouldn't be such a big issue if everyone actually stayed with them afterwards, but I recall reading that people cancel their subscriptions at a particularly high rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

The high cost of customer acquisition probably wouldn't be such a big issue if everyone actually stayed with them afterwards, but I recall reading that people cancel their subscriptions at a particularly high rate.

Yeah, I don't care if the ingredients include toasted unicorn and blitzed kitten kisses, I ain't paying $35/meal for a family of four.