Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Has anyone gotten anything from wave 2 yet? They said they were shipping it over the next 2-3 weeks a like 5 weeks ago, and now it seems like they are moving or something? I feel like the should have learned from the shipping mishaps last time around...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The only things I was waiting on was maps, and they cancelled those. Would like that store credit though so I can blow it on advanced sectors.

Moonshot was interesting. Playing it at 999pts and 4 battle groups does mean having to split your fleet in half knowing they likely won't have time to cross the board after committing to one cluster or the other.

I had a bit of an issue with my list, as I went heavy on an SR20 group I found that I couldn't cover both sides of the table all that well in Moonshot, and in another game we played the staggered approach type so that group was off board until turn 3, leaving me low on firepower. Also Corvettes are great and I still haven't got any.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 28, 2017

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Pash posted:

Has anyone gotten anything from wave 2 yet? They said they were shipping it over the next 2-3 weeks a like 5 weeks ago, and now it seems like they are moving or something? I feel like the should have learned from the shipping mishaps last time around...

I got my acrylic tokens a couple days ago.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ugleb posted:

The only things I was waiting on was maps, and they cancelled those. Would like that store credit though so I can blow it on advanced sectors.

Moonshot was interesting. Playing it at 999pts and 4 battle groups does mean having to split your fleet in half knowing they likely won't have time to cross the board after committing to one cluster or the other.

I had a bit of an issue with my list, as I went heavy on an SR20 group I found that I couldn't cover both sides of the table all that well in Moonshot, and in another game we played the staggered approach type so that group was off board until turn 3, leaving me low on firepower. Also Corvettes are great and I still haven't got any.

I haven't really been impressed by my Nickars, but that could be because I'm always trying to kill PHR stuff with them.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I haven't really been impressed by my Nickars, but that could be because I'm always trying to kill PHR stuff with them.

Trying to kill PHR strike carriers seems like such a losing game. 5 health and 3+'saves...

The one game I played with corvettes I found my Santiagos were better off contesting his Echoes, and then I just leveraged cheaper strike carriers to win on the ground.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kinds feel like Phr strike carriers need to be nerfed by either being 4+ armour or only 5 hull. They're loving awful to chew through.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The PHR get a double whammy of having the best strike crusiers (they are both tough and can bombard) AND troopships with multi-roles - I think all the PHR fleets at the weekend were rocking 4 Strike cruisers and 2 troopships, to the UCM's average of 4/1.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
That is partially as the PHR troop ships tend to be used as combat ships, as they are tougher than the normal cruisers and carry similar amounts of guns.

In fact they are tougher than most heavy cruisers. 13 hull!

That said, PHR frigates are exceptionally tough. That 50% more effective hull goes a long way, and a lot of air to air weapons don't have great lock values, instead relying on weight of numbers (looking at you here, glass), so the 3+ armour really shines.

Incy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 29, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

I got my acrylic tokens a couple days ago.

I'm just annoyed a bit because its taken long enough that now there is a massive 2 week event in my neighborhood with tons of people walking around, which makes it WAY more likely that someone decides to take of with a random package left on my doorstep. Hawk not doing tracking really compounds this as I won't know if its been stolen...

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

The PHR get a double whammy of having the best strike crusiers (they are both tough and can bombard) AND troopships with multi-roles - I think all the PHR fleets at the weekend were rocking 4 Strike cruisers and 2 troopships, to the UCM's average of 4/1.

As a UCM player I am super jealous of the Orpheus compared to my San Franciscos. 130 pts vs 110, but you get 3 extra hull, lose 1" movement, and get a light cruiser's worth of weapons instead of a frigate's. Plus the Orpheus broadsides seem like they'd be good at fishing for strike carrier/corvette hits if there's nothing else great to shoot at.

I'm a little surprised you're finding tournament UCM's going for fewer ground assets than PHR. Does tournament UCM usually take a Madrid as well? I would have thought the cheaper UCM assets means there'd be room for more of em. Or maybe I should just be doing that anyways (6/1 in a 1250 list?).

EDIT: After looking at it, 6/1 plus 4 santiagos is 391 points, which seems like an awful lot of your 1250 point list. Though I suppose the old rule of thumb from Dropzone was to go a third, a third, a third.

To do something like that, what do you all think of a list like this:

--------------------------------------
UCM 1250 - 1249pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (242pts)
1 x Atlantis - 205pts - H
   + UCM Vice-Admiral (80pts, 4AV)
1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR15 Vanguard battlegroup (295pts)
1 x Moscow - 163pts - H
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR7 Line battlegroup (175pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR15 Line battlegroup (281pts)
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (88pts)
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (128pts)
------------- dflist.com -------------

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 29, 2017

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
This was what I took to the tournament BTW. Had 13pts I couldn't fill without getting another cruiser built to switch out something else, or get some Echoes.

The double heavy group was probably too many eggs in one basket at this game size. Switching out to some cheaper options could have given me another cruiser or the Corvettes.

I would have loved to get another Calypso into the list, the one I had did a great job of screwing with Taipei's and Toulon's going after the Ganymede.

Poole tournament - 987pts
PHR - 6 launch assets

SR20 Vanguard battlegroup (375pts)
1 x Leonidas - 195pts - H
1 x Bellerophon - 180pts - H
+ Vice Director (40pts, 3AV)

SR8 Line battlegroup (256pts)
1 x Ganymede - 135pts - M
1 x Calypso - 37pts - L
2 x Andromeda - 84pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (219pts)
1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
1 x Theseus - 89pts - M

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (117pts)
2 x Medea - 78pts - L
1 x Medea - 39pts - L

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

As a UCM player I am super jealous of the Orpheus compared to my San Franciscos. 130 pts vs 110, but you get 3 extra hull, lose 1" movement, and get a light cruiser's worth of weapons instead of a frigate's. Plus the Orpheus broadsides seem like they'd be good at fishing for strike carrier/corvette hits if there's nothing else great to shoot at.

I'm a little surprised you're finding tournament UCM's going for fewer ground assets than PHR. Does tournament UCM usually take a Madrid as well? I would have thought the cheaper UCM assets means there'd be room for more of em. Or maybe I should just be doing that anyways (6/1 in a 1250 list?).

EDIT: After looking at it, 6/1 plus 4 santiagos is 391 points, which seems like an awful lot of your 1250 point list. Though I suppose the old rule of thumb from Dropzone was to go a third, a third, a third.

This was a 999 point game, hence the lower drop assets - in a 1250 I would of course go 6/1

Here was my list. That 16 Battlegroup killed me in one game.

Beamer - 997pts
UCM - 3 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (227pts)
1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
+ UCM Commodore (40pts, 3AV)
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR12 Line battlegroup (307pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
2 x Toulon - 70pts - L

SR16 Line battlegroup (315pts)
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L
2 x Osaka - 172pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (128pts)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Gotcha. I didn't realize it was 999. How do you like the Osakas? I think about building some pretty often because the models are neat, but I feel like I'd rather have New Cairos.

(Shouldn't your Commodore be 20 pts? Free upgrade for being in a heavy?)

What do you think about running 5/1 at 999, with 4 corvettes? My sample list is pretty similar to yours but runs a second Berlin instead of the paired light cruisers, and drops the Jakartas.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The osakas are not quite as good as the new Cairo's, but still useful. They don't take as much micromanagement, but they have a lower damage output.

The admiral is just a thing with dflist.

Definitely need some corvettes though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

HI UK goons, we're hosting our next Dropfleet Commander even down here in Cardiff on 10th of December, whose interested in a one day event?

I'm going to try to get my entire fleet painted for this, I'm still trying to get to grips of launch assets at this point scale.

4x New Orleans, 1x Madrid, 1x San Francisco enough? or will I need more at 1,250? I'd have to buy more Strike Carriers, but I DO have a second San Francisco, so I'd run that first. Thinking of going launch heavier with 1x Atlantis, 2x Seattles & support, haven't really put anything to paper just yet as it's a while away.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think that 4 New Orleans, 1 SF, 1 Madrid would be alright but on the light side? Dunno, haven't played many 1250 games. Adding a second SF would probably be a good idea.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yea I kinda find at basic format it boils down to who brought the most drop so probs that. Wish bulk landers could drop one armour.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/downloads/dropfleet-commander-kickstarter-maps

Full size files are up so you can get your own maps printed at anyone, on anything convenient to your location

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Yea I kinda find at basic format it boils down to who brought the most drop so probs that. Wish bulk landers could drop one armour.

Do you have any corvettes? Those can sort of compensate.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Do you have any corvettes? Those can sort of compensate.

Yeah bud I got a full set. I'll be taking at least 4.

So first draft:
cac - 1247pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (227pts)
1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
   + UCM Commodore (40pts, 3AV)
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR8 Line battlegroup (207pts)
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR6 Line battlegroup (142pts)
1 x Lima - 37pts - L
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M

SR12 Line battlegroup (328pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR9 Pathfinder battlegroup (167pts)
1 x Madrid - 79pts - M
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (156pts)
4 x Taipei - 156pts - L

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 2, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah bud I got a full set. I'll be taking at least 4.

So first draft:

I like the list. I think I need to play more with Jakartas (and more against carrier-capable PHR/Scourge to justify them), because I kept experimenting with dropping them and/or the Lima. (Always remember you can active scan with a backfield New Orleans you plan on using to claim your home objective, particularly if you have decent asteroid belt cover. Same for a San Francisco though its vulnerability lasts longer. So long as you don't need the special order for something else.) Your list is surprisingly tight, points-wise. I was wondering if you could drop both Jakartas and the Lima for a second Berlin and that only gets you to 104 points free. Alternatively, drop the Lima and one Jakarta, and you can take two New Cairos in place of the Berlin. That's probably not a great trade given the Berlin's improved survivability, but at least it gives you more high priority targets for your opponent, to shield the San Franciscos and Madrid a bit.

EDIT: Also, Bistro, congrats on getting your ships' photos featured in the formal gallery on Hawk's website. They're fantastic.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 3, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers bud. I quite like the Lima as between it and the Berlin I can snipe anything on the board with all the flash I'm causing. Let's me spread out and allows my Seattle guns to support from further out and let's my Avalon change facing snipe to finish any ship off if my Berlin rolls well.

Jakarta I really like but I play in quite a close action and launch stacked area so I always feel like I need them you know? We have a very PHR and Scourge stacked areas and I want to keep my launch for bombers and Jakarta help keep the damage up on my Seattles.

I also only have to paint 6-7 ships for this to be fully painted!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That list looks good.

Arcturas posted:

EDIT: Also, Bistro, congrats on getting your ships' photos featured in the formal gallery on Hawk's website. They're fantastic.

Thanks!

Also i converted a a Despoiler for a friend and got a Phoenix in exchange. Gonna try switching the weapons for cooler looking ones made from russian AA guns and gundam missiles. Maybe add an LED searchlight to the little sensor dome underneath.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So here's a hypothetical question: how bad an idea is a four-player Dropfleet game with the starter fleets and a plus-shaped arrangement of sectors (basically the starter set scenario on a 4x4 with a second set of outer clusters at 90°)?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Haven't tried it with dropfleet but i'm generally not a huge fan of four player scenarios in tabletop games. They take a lot of time and i always end up feeling like i would have had more fun playing two "normal" games in the same time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Haven't tried it with dropfleet but i'm generally not a huge fan of four player scenarios in tabletop games. They take a lot of time and i always end up feeling like i would have had more fun playing two "normal" games in the same time.

Thanks. Oh, battle report for a game earlier this week: here.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thinking about custom bases again.

Which do y'all find more intuitive: Crippling damage when the last big hitpoint vanishes or when the first big damage shows up?

Ono
Feb 8, 2012

When the first big damage shows up (top row). At a glance big slashes of red communicate a more severe damage state.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Top row looks better.

All I've got is a terrible laptop camera and half a box lit by a flashlight with parchment paper taped over it but I finally finished all my poo poo and I'm posting the garbage pictures regardless: https://imgur.com/a/5zdBe

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Is anyone going to invasion this weekend? I can barely remember how DZC 1st edition works so it will be "fun" I'm sure.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sadly I had too much stuff going on so couldn't justify it. :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Crossposting the first part of my Scourge fleet.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete

Have some poor photos, I don't have time for anything better.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Also crossposting:

wdarkk posted:

Oath Complete!

First time using a wet pallet, really helped. Not some miracle technique, but I feel like I had far better control of the amount of paint on the brush.

Claiming the chop shop for magnetizing the weapons bays. Eagle-eyed viewers will notice I put the weapons bay in upside down on that last shot! It's not that bad a fit either way.

Now I guess I'll do a UCM fleet to go with my PHR and Scourge.

Shaltari still look like hell to paint.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Looking good :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I think for the future I'll put my battle reports on Imgur so I can just link them places.
https://imgur.com/a/RbD2C

1250 point Scourge vs PHR (using my models). I feel like a lot of games I play come down to very technical objective play, since the space combat ends up being very even. Of course if the space combat isn't very even it can get lopsided fast.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Pretty unfair to make the PHR start with their Priam having engines crippled.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sojenus posted:

Pretty unfair to make the PHR start with their Priam having engines crippled.

I thought I had scraped enough paint off the contact point for that fin but it broke off while being transported. My Scourge frigates had that problem a LOT for whatever reason. Other ships not so much.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I haven't had any issues with the Scourge frigates but the side wings on the cruisers have popped off enough I consider it a feature of easily converting them to light cruisers, magnet-free!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

If anyone else has not gotten their Scourge Space Station Kit I emailed Hawk toward the end of September and they stated that all wave two pledges that did not contain art prints/poster sets had been shipped at the end of July. They marked mine as missing and said they would ship me one, but they are still moving I guess, so I have not gotten it yet. That said a little looking around makes it seem like a bunch of these have not gone out yet, so I don't know what the deal is, but if you have not gotten yours yet you should probably email Hawk about it.

All I had added on from wave two was the space station kit and one of the map packs that got cancelled, so according to their email mine should have been to me a LONG time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Finally got the next round of base prototypes done. I think i'm getting really close to a final design. Next step is making a small set and actually playtesting them. If everything goes well i'll be presenting Tricked Out Dropfleet at a local con in february.

There's three sizes: 35mm with up to 8HP, 50mm with up to 16HP and 65mm with up to 24HP