Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

I kind of half assed this one because I'm not wild about the model. It grew on me while I was painting it, but I still couldn't figure out what to do with his big weird buck toothed skull head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Oath Complete!

First time using a wet pallet, really helped. Not some miracle technique, but I feel like I had far better control of the amount of paint on the brush.

Claiming the chop shop for magnetizing the weapons bays. Eagle-eyed viewers will notice I put the weapons bay in upside down on that last shot! It's not that bad a fit either way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oath Complete

Repulsor "Repulse," the flying Land Raider, is ready to take part in the fight.

I was aiming for Mr Tryhard award. Let's see how it goes.

Here's some Show Your Work stuff, mostly after doing the battle damage. Apparently, the kit is simply bad about joining the outer sides of the hull to the hull, so it's not just me being a poo poo. It was more pronounced on the left side, so I did more battle damage there.

The green is from the paint I used to make a print of turret ring on plasticard. I was not at all happy with the turret, and I basically bought the model so I could put a Razorback turret instead (Chop Shop). More on the turret later.

You can also see battle damage. Putting dents on corners and edges is really cool (I’m gonna wreck it!). I was inspired by WWII range testing pictures.

Since Space Marines sometimes encounter some angry fauna, too, did some scratches on the side and on the top.

Here's how it looked with a (magnetized) turret. It can be taken off for transport! I don't remember now where the turret comes from, but it was a twin notlascannon turret. Naturally, I had to remove (not glue on, more like) one of the cannons. Instead, I kinda shittily drilled, rod'd and glued on the smaller ONSLAUGHT GATLING CANNON. I lost the front part of the ONSLAUGHT GATLING CANNON almost immediately. Maybe it will turn up some day. I didn't do a very good job of putting the stubber in place, either.

First, I sprayed the front white, then I used poster putty (or whatever you call it) and paper to mask off the white areas before going in the black.

Back to Base-ics: the stupid idea for the flying Land Raider is that even though it's a skimmer (A Flying Start), it's actually so heavy that it barely clears ground, and the agrav waves or whatever crush everything underneath it... which sounds terrible until you realize that's basically what tank tracks do, too. So I wanted to leave some pristine ground in the center of the base while making the sides show how detritus and stuff is churned and pushed towards the center by the treads grav waves. You be the judge.

This is how it looked nearly painted. I wanted to add some decals to the sides, but those didn't want to stick or just didn't like being handled. Eventually, I ended up freehanding the name on the sides of the tank. I think it helps break up all the empty space, which is especially noticeable since I didn't put any of the stupid stowage that goes on the back half of the tank.

Those hand prints are of some ork or dirty traitor who got dragged under the Repulsor (My heart bleeds for you). I also applied Typhus corrosion to the vertical grav plates for some of that sweet Always take the weather with you.

Can I get a Time to Shine for the metals and gooolds?

The paintings on the doors (they're not glued in... it's just that they got stuck there) are for Bring out your dead, Free(hand) as a bird, Raise Your Flag. The banner bears some of the Chapter iconography (I'm not set on it yet) while a skellington is always welcome on an SM vehicle.

I tried going for Feeling the heat with the thruster tubes, starting with blue mixed with white, then applying more white, but I'm really bad at it. In the end, I added some more blue and black shading to the ends to hide some mistakes.

And yes, these are the only two decals that made it!

A view from the top! I might have overdone it on the edge effects, but eh, I like it well enough. I tried to follow some of the advice about paint chipping on HH Modeling Masterclass, but I might have used too much paint... and a mascara applicator.

gently caress I hate painting.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

These four guys are pretty similar, so I did Take one for the team. No journal this month for the first time ever :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

Goblin first. This guy is a tester for my Waaagh Demons, using them as Horrors. I may adjust this guy somewhat in the future to act as the Changeling or something. Slight conversion work to be flipping the bird.

Squig Katapult, bringing my Lobba Battery to 5 (of course GW have just increased the unit cap to 6 after I found this one).

Blood Axe Weirdboy and his Deathskull 'Minderz'. Those Deathskullz sure do like their lootin'. First time using Microset for decals, it's really useful!

Chosen squad for my Heretic Orkstartes. Led by a converted Nazdreg (a 2nd hand model I got that was missing arms, so they needed replacing).

This is what Nazdreg usually looks like, Jurnal is his arm swap.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Kukulkani Honor Guard by Dark Age for the month of September

Just realized I hadn't oathed any of the stuff I had been painting this month.

Raphus C posted:

I ,Raphus C, oath one stormboy for September:

Approved

JcDent posted:

Oath Complete

That certainly qualifies for a Tryhard Award! Reminds me, I really need to decide on what I'm doing for mine...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Question about Rescues:

I half the SM half of Dark Imperium... about half way done. Are they still eligible for a rescue oath? Figured I'd dedicate October to finish them, but I can't do that without an oath, now can I?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete

The Chop Shop
I converted the standard dread power fist into a chainfist.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath complete

I am claiming the chop shop for the conversion work to put a blade on the front of this thing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

JcDent posted:

Question about Rescues:

I half the SM half of Dark Imperium... about half way done. Are they still eligible for a rescue oath? Figured I'd dedicate October to finish them, but I can't do that without an oath, now can I?

If you mean you're about halfway through painting some of the figures, that's fine.

If you mean you've fully painted half of the figures, that doesn't work.

The idea of the Rescue achievement is to take one or more partially painted figures and finish them off.

Though I'm thinking of extending that to include 'rescuing' figures from eBay with terrible paint jobs, in which case you'd need before and after shots. Any thoughts?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

OATH COMPLETED!

First the guild ball dudes:

And the Siege Animantarax. I ended up doing a lot more modding on this than I'd intended, swapping. The fore and aft castles got swapped. Looking at the pic I need to go back and do more dry brushing/highlights on the base, but for now it's good enough.

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath these duders for September!

Venin, Vitriol, Compound, Calculus, and Crucible, all from Steamforged Games' Guild Ball - Alchemists' Guild (30mm base)

I don't think I'm going to be doing any converting with these guys, because I fail at theme. Maybe something else if I get them done early enough.

head58 posted:

OATH ADDITION
Adding in this, the Siege Animantarax for Privateer Press's Hordes. Affectionately known as the "Derp Turtle." I've replaced the head with a less derpy looking one, and repositioned two of the legs so it looks a bit more dynamic and less like a piece of furniture. I also have the forecastle and the tower in back set in with pins so they can be removed for easier storage.

Here's the factory default model. Super derpy. I have the dudes that are standing on the thing but haven't assembled them yet. Maybe they'll make it by the end of the month, maybe not. Who can say?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

head58 posted:

OATH COMPLETED!

Do you have any larger pictures?

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

OATH COMPLETE

And the gross Plague Priest conversion is for the journal, and was built on this:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete!

primus

primus rear view

terrain

Claiming chop shop jurnal for, well, everything.

The primus was originally this guy:

Who's had his arm replaced, symbol puttied and painter over, chest scarring shaved off, and knife replaced with a 2nd ed plastic Tyranid Warrior bonesword.

The cement containers and obstacle were these:

(The barrels are bottlecaps.)

and the posters are cutouts from this image I've been working on:

That I painted and weathered by hand, then mod-podge'd onto the finished terrain.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Signal posted:

Do you have any larger pictures?

Here's the turtle: https://imgur.com/2tmGE9w
https://imgur.com/03wzNZQ

And the guild ballers
https://imgur.com/esD1ig4
Hoping those just show as links and I don't blow out anyone's tables

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

Here's the turtle: https://imgur.com/2tmGE9w
https://imgur.com/03wzNZQ

And the guild ballers
https://imgur.com/esD1ig4
Hoping those just show as links and I don't blow out anyone's tables

Just FYI, you can have the pics show up as large inline thumbnails by adding a lower-case L right before the .jpg in the link. Or you can change the image link to a "timg" (make sure to close with /timg) for a click-to-embiggen thumbnail. Many a broken table has been mended by these tags.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

TheFinalTuba posted:

I, TheFinalTuba, do hereby oath to paint the new Caledonia Starter Box from Corvus Belli (Infinity)

Aaaaaand, OATH COMPLETE!

Here's the whole gang.

The Volunteers!

The heavy troops. Hard to find a good angle to really show off the middle guy (the Highlander Grey).

Anywho, no Jurnal this month, couldn't think of a good conversion. But I am claiming Take One for the Team as they're all comrades, even sharing a tartan pattern!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

OATH COMPLETE

I can't take a decent pic with my new light box to save my life, so these might change.
e: took some at my workstation; still not great, but better than the first batch :smith:

Claiming A faithful replica for the Wraith tank. This was also my first time doing a pen wash, and the turret + gunner are magnetizied:

Tried something different with Lord Castellant. After the initial zeinthal prime, I essentially redid it with different shades of gold through the airbrush. His cloak is also my first shot at glazing.

I got nothing for poor bird-cat dude. At least the colors are fun.

Scorpion tank from Halo - gunner and turret are magnetized:

Half-Elf Sorceress from Reaper. My wife said to paint her like a princess, but didn't specify which one :v:

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 1, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Chop shop jurnul for the converted hunter. Its an Arms swap.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

And I'm going for the Chop Shop achievement, with the renovations to both models! Please try to ignore the fissure up near the head of the lich's staff; that's where it kept breaking off whenever a finger/brush handle/extra-speedy air molecule brushed against it (which happened about 6 times during the entire process). It's more superglue now than plastic. Eventually I just stopped giving a poo poo what the finished product looked like, as long as it was vaguely staff-shaped.

Full album is here. (I'm just going to post my preliminary photos under here.)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath for September to assemble and paint a couple of Frankenstein's-monster-style amalgams of the following: (1) Wight King; (1) Halbarad, Cleric; (1) Ingrid; (1) staff with some kind of wing-headed skull device!

All 28mm heroic scale. The Wight King is GW, the priest and viking are Reaper Bones, and the staff is from Reaper's Bones 3 plastic weapons pack.
I've obviously already been doing some work on conversion, but here's the staff on sprue:

There's a chance I might want to add a book from GW's Empire Flagellants kit to the Wight King, so here's a picture featuring that:

And since I've removed the sword and shield from the Wight King, here's me showing my work:

This is what the Wight King looks like unaltered:

"After" pics coming as soon as I finish assembly (and repair the staff, which I managed to snap off not five minutes after taking my oath pic, rassum frassum....)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Okay, so it's After Conversion Pics time:

To the Wight King, I've added: the Bones staff in place of his sword; a GW Empire Flagellant book (with greenstuff press-mold skull); Halbarand's left arm to hold the book; just, like, a ton of thinned liquid greenstuff to hide glue marks/gaps/errors and add a softer texture to some surfaces.
To Ingrid, I've made these changes: removed her sword and scabbard; added Halbarand's hammer; added a greenstuff layer of chainmail and cloth to her rear skirt where the scabbard used to be.
(Halbarand is included in these shots to show how much I chopped off of him to add to the models I'm actually working on. His sacrifice will be noted.)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

Claiming monthly jurnal and Stay awhile and listen

Abraham slowly worked his way up the slope, carefully settling each step into the scree that would send him tumbling back down if he wasn’t careful. The wind was beginning to bite, and he hoped that the prospector’s cabin marked on his map was still there. He didn’t fancy the thought of another night in just his tent.

Fortune seemed to be with him that night, and the cabin laid before him when he reached the top, whole and with a candle shining in the window. He strode across the dirt to the door and rapped sharply. After a few minutes, the door snapped open and a pistol whipped up, hovering a few centimeters from his nose. “I’m a friend of Samuel,” was all he could think to say.

A few seconds passed, then the pistol lowered to reveal a grizzled, white-bearded face. “A friend of Samuel’s is a friend of mine. Please, come in.”

Abraham walked in and set his pack by the door. “I just need shelter for the night, I’m headed to Plenty Bare tomorrow. I have some roasted rabbit I can leave as thanks.”

“Would be much appreciated, my aim these days isn’t what it was, and those loonies on the mountains nearby are fierce competition for food besides. Plenty Bare? Haven’t heard of the place.”

“One of the new prospecting camps out south. They say they hit a seam they thought was Soulstone but just turned out to be diamond. Still mining it though, there’s a new craze for diamond in the big city.”

“That’s a shame, Soulstone would have been nice. There’s a cot in the storage room, a little tight but it should do you well.”

Abraham nodded, and they settled down to dinner, which they ate in silence. He retired to the cot afterwards and quickly fell asleep.

It was later that he woke to the sound of moving footsteps. He got up from the cot and looked into the main room, where the prospector was standing by the door, striking a lantern. “Is there a problem?”

The prospector looked over at him and said “I think there’s a particular beastie nearby. Ever heard of a bandersnatch?”

“Only stories. They say it’s one of the Neverborn, that it hides in shadows and comes out to eat bad little children who don’t listen to their parents.”

The prospector chuckled. “They’re real, although they’ll eat just about anything juicy. Want to head out with me, see if you can find it?”

“Sure thing. Not too excited about the idea of one sneaking up on me in my sleep.”

They walked outside, both lanterns held high, and began making a slow circuit of the cabin, spiraling outwards, with Abraham taking the lead with musket held high. He spoke first. “Always have to be on the lookout with these Neverborn. If it isn’t shadows, it’s something else. My friend in the Guard tells me they’re always on the lookout for Neverborn that can take the face of others. Chills the soul to think the person next to you could be something else. At least we don’t have to worry about that here, hey?”

“Oh yes, of course. It would be very bad for the bandersnatches if people were to learn that they could shapechange as well.”

“If they…?”

And then there was a gentle susurrus of chitinous plates sliding against each other.

And then there was the soft, wet sound of flesh being pierced.

The next morning, the prospector walked out of his cabin with a rake, and began to rake the pebbles until the dark stain on the ground was scattered and no more.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

May go back and add some graffiti at some point, or leave it as is to avoid making it overly setting specific. Who knows!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Oath complete!

Claiming monthly journal for the sarge's headswap.

Super not happy with these, especially the banner. Going to go back and fix them up later.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

For the conversion challenge the leader (front left) is a kitbash from about 5 kits, including Chaos Marauders, Catachans, and some ancient Ork.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, September is over! Don't forget to double check the spreadsheet in case I missed anything - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FkoqQIImwPSBPqSCI2TlvAaBPLNgRxpjBZP7V_tgXzI/edit#gid=17

Onwards to october:

quote:

October - Bring out your dead
Paint up something spooky for All Hallow’s Eve or the Day of the Dead. Alternatively, add some skulls, either real ones, icons, tattoos, facepaint, etc.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Don't forget to double check the spreadsheet in case I missed anything.
I didn't get Take one for the team for my viking quartet.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for October:

Mortarion, GW, really goddamned big scale.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I too am oathing a giant floaty man for October. Possibly more later depending how things work out but I've a busy month ahead.

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for October 2017:

Nagash, lord of undeath (GW 28mm)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I Grey Hunter, Oath for October 2 space stations 6 Nikita's, 2 Charybdis, 2 Scyllia, 1 Shenlong and 1 Hydra. All by Hawk Wargames in 1:9150

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
For October, I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint these 21 Blood Rage tokens. By CMoN. They're all covered in Scale 75 Viking Gold.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of October:

3x Lifthawks (with attachments)
2x Hannibals
2x Zhukovs
3x Gunwagons
1x Kraken

All for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames, 10mm scale

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 2, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following for October: (1) Count Dracula and (3) Vampire Brides!

All metal, 28mm heroic, zenithal primed, from Bad Squiddo Games' new "My Last Sunrise: Vampire Gothic" collection (from their most recent Kickstarter, available from our goon friend TheDiceBagLady!).

Bleeehhh!!!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath addition! 1 Cairn Wraith. By GW.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the spooky month of Spooktober

4 sections of scattered ruins, 1 statue plinth, 1 area terrain base 3, 2x area terrain base 4, 1 area terrain base 5.2, and 17 area terrain base tree stumps by goon operated (Germ) thread sponsor Worldsmith Industries (28mm)
8 tombstones by Reaper (28mm)

A bunch of premade trees from an unnamed Chinese model train supplier on eBay, and Wee Scapes from my local art store, are going in the tree stump bases, not pictured as they won't really be painted, but I can round them up for a photo if you need it, I won't be getting to that part for at least a week.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I, thespaceinvader, oath this Scurrg H6 Bomber (converted) by Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270(ish) scale

Conversion shot pre-priming:
The tailplane is from a G1a with my own plasticard fin to replace the one attached to the G1A engines, and my own plasticard support struts. I also took off the little winglets on the rear because they weren't going to look right.
I'm gonna do the Daily Double, probably with some engine glow, which I'll hopefully keep a little more subtle this time, mostly because I meant to do this last month...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, Grassy Gnoll, oath this ORC Trooper by Corvus Belli, 28mm-ish.

Gotta go light this month, between travel and Inktober.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for October:

Mortarion, GW, really goddamned big scale.

Zark the Damned posted:

I too am oathing a giant floaty man for October. Possibly more later depending how things work out but I've a busy month ahead.

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for October 2017:

Nagash, lord of undeath (GW 28mm)

Grey Hunter posted:

I Grey Hunter, Oath for October 2 space stations 6 Nikita's, 2 Charybdis, 2 Scyllia, 1 Shenlong and 1 Hydra. All by Hawk Wargames in 1:9150

Electric Hobo posted:

For October, I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint these 21 Blood Rage tokens. By CMoN. They're all covered in Scale 75 Viking Gold.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of October:

3x Lifthawks (with attachments)
2x Hannibals
2x Zhukovs
3x Gunwagons
1x Kraken

All for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames, 10mm scale

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following for October: (1) Count Dracula and (3) Vampire Brides!

All metal, 28mm heroic, zenithal primed, from Bad Squiddo Games' new "My Last Sunrise: Vampire Gothic" collection (from their most recent Kickstarter, available from our goon friend TheDiceBagLady!).

Bleeehhh!!!

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath addition! 1 Cairn Wraith. By GW.

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the spooky month of Spooktober

4 sections of scattered ruins, 1 statue plinth, 1 area terrain base 3, 2x area terrain base 4, 1 area terrain base 5.2, and 17 area terrain base tree stumps by goon operated (Germ) thread sponsor Worldsmith Industries (28mm)
8 tombstones by Reaper (28mm)

A bunch of premade trees from an unnamed Chinese model train supplier on eBay, and Wee Scapes from my local art store, are going in the tree stump bases, not pictured as they won't really be painted, but I can round them up for a photo if you need it, I won't be getting to that part for at least a week.

thespaceinvader posted:

I, thespaceinvader, oath this Scurrg H6 Bomber (converted) by Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270(ish) scale

Conversion shot pre-priming:
The tailplane is from a G1a with my own plasticard fin to replace the one attached to the G1A engines, and my own plasticard support struts. I also took off the little winglets on the rear because they weren't going to look right.
I'm gonna do the Daily Double, probably with some engine glow, which I'll hopefully keep a little more subtle this time, mostly because I meant to do this last month...

grassy gnoll posted:

I, Grassy Gnoll, oath this ORC Trooper by Corvus Belli, 28mm-ish.

Gotta go light this month, between travel and Inktober.

Approved!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I, Geisladisk, being of sound mind and body, Oath for October:

18 assorted tanks, trucks and halftracks
8 assorted cannons and crew.

All are from Pendraken, and 10mm scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath two spoooooky ghosts surrounded by more spoooooky ghosts for the spooooooky month of October! These are Goryo from Wyrd Games' Malifaux line, Ressurectionist faction.

• Locked thread