Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

What does any of this have to do anything? I haven't uniformly defended all of Israel's actions. I support the two state solution and abandoning the majority of settlements. I've been in misery with Netanyahu and Likud in power for the last eight years. I don't think they should have fought the three Gaza wars. I don't think they should sell weapons to dictators. I think they should let African refugees stay. The last two are lovely things that many states do.

I guess your broken clock is actually right for once, because you're correctly identifying Chomsky's notion that the idea that Israel is some rogue state selling out the virtuous United States is ludicrous, self-serving bullshit. Israel is a client state vassal of the US in every conceivable way. The Jim Mattises of the world are in denial about that point. I never looked at either state with rose colored glasses. The world is full of awful people who do awful things, and it's ultimately just gradients of more or less bad.

And no I sure as poo poo don't like them going soft on white supremacists, although I don't really care in that respect because I see neo Nazis as cuckholded and ineffective in their ability to harm Jews. It's quite clear white supremacists are still a massive threat to African Americans and Hispanics though, and should be condemned and marginalized for that.

You misspelled cuckold dumbass. Also it's a lot more interesting to me that you just write off heinous poo poo like selling guns to violent governments because all the cool kids are doing it. Stop posting here jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Prince Yair (no, not that one), has gone off the deep end, posting the following on Facebook with the title "The Food Chain":

From left to right: George Soros, anonymous lizard person, Illuminati Jew stereotype, former PM and vocal Netanyahu critic Ehud Barak, recently arrested (and released) co-organizer of the protests in front of the Attorney General's house Eldad Yaniv, former Prime Minister's House groundskeeper and other co-organizer of these protests Meni Naftali.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I recently got some poo poo for comparing them to Nazis, but Yair is really making my points for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Holy poo poo!

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

What is his point here?

"I've always told you that Jews control the world. And, see, this jew here admits it", or what?

Edit: Also why doesn't Bibi's name get the Jew-brackets? Try to be consistent at least you fucks!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Bibi isn't a "secret" Jew.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Prince Yair (no, not that one), has gone off the deep end, posting the following on Facebook with the title "The Food Chain":

From left to right: George Soros, anonymous lizard person, Illuminati Jew stereotype, former PM and vocal Netanyahu critic Ehud Barak, recently arrested (and released) co-organizer of the protests in front of the Attorney General's house Eldad Yaniv, former Prime Minister's House groundskeeper and other co-organizer of these protests Meni Naftali.

Did he draw the cattle cars himself in MSPaint?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dommolus Magnus posted:

What is his point here?

"I've always told you that Jews control the world. And, see, this jew here admits it", or what?

Probably something more like "holy poo poo, an Israeli is sincerely disseminating neo-Nazi propaganda because its anti-Semitic attack is targeting someone who has criticized Israeli government policy. Authoritarianism is a hell of a drug".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

Probably something more like "holy poo poo, an Israeli is sincerely disseminating neo-Nazi propaganda because its anti-Semitic attack is targeting someone who has criticized Israeli government policy. Authoritarianism is a hell of a drug".

Yeah, I'm sure that's "Dr." David ""Former" KKK Grand Wizard" Duke's argument here. :rolleyes:

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Bibi isn't a "secret" Jew.

Neither is Soros.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

420 Gank Mid posted:

Holy poo poo, how dumb are you if you think a Bantustan is an independent and separate country? That's the exact opposite of the purpose of a Bantustan like Israel is creating in occupied territories.

I did not say an abstract Bantustan is, I said that Gaza and the West Bank are separate countries, and a two state solution has nearly universal support in international politics, and a majority of support among Palestinians.

Ultramega posted:

You misspelled cuckold dumbass. Also it's a lot more interesting to me that you just write off heinous poo poo like selling guns to violent governments because all the cool kids are doing it. Stop posting here jesus christ.

It's a side issue. It's not something they should be doing, but it doesn't matter with regards to peace. In fact, their current policy of supporting human rights abuses by the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc... arguably make a peace agreement more likely.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 10, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a side issue. It's not something they should be doing, but it doesn't matter with regards to peace. In fact, their current policy of supporting human rights abuses by the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc... arguably make a peace agreement more likely.

You might like how Israeli support for the Shah in Iran made a peace agreement with Iran more likely?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I wasn't arguing it made for long term stability, but they're not really in a position where they can push away potential allies. For decades the US pushed Israel to have closer ties with Sunni states. They're making a bad mistake by not trying for a deal while it's an amenable climate.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why can't Palestinians just have equal rights in a one state Israel?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

starkebn posted:

Because the Israeli government keeps trying to cleanse them from the face of the earth and giving them rights would be an impediment to that goal.

Like all of a sudden if someone has equal protection under the law you cant just bulldoze their house and salt their farms to build your illegal settlements on the land their family has lived on for countless generations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Because the Israeli government keeps trying to cleanse them from the face of the earth and giving them rights would be an impediment to that goal.

Like all of a sudden if someone has equal protection under the law you cant just bulldoze their house and salt their farms to build your illegal settlements on the land their family has lived on for countless generations.

It was kind of a rhetorical question. I know the Israelis are being cunts, but the most obvious solution is just that everyone be treated fairly and equally in a secular country.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

starkebn posted:

Because the Palestinians don't want it any more than the Israelis do and because it's been the basis of no historical talks, international legal statements, or agreements. Two states for two peoples is the only peace format with any public support and international recognition.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

starkebn posted:

It would leave Jews as a minority in Israel and that's not seen as acceptable.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Because the Palestinians don't want it any more than the Israelis do and because it's been the basis of no historical talks, international legal statements, or agreements. Two states for two peoples is the only peace format with any public support and international recognition.

eh, it's not never discussed

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

starkebn posted:

eh, it's not never discussed

It's discussed by a remote fringe. It's irrelevant. People need to get over it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Disinterested posted:

It's discussed by a remote fringe. It's irrelevant. People need to get over it.

well, the Israelis aren't going to stop until their borders are where they want them, that much is obvious

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

starkebn posted:

well, the Israelis aren't going to stop until their borders are where they want them, that much is obvious

And that isn't a problem solved by any version of any solution.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah but if you go by what Israel wants it also puts a one state solution with equal rights off the table. There's basically no path to peace that doesn't require the state of Israel changing its plans in some way.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Seems defeatist. But 70 years of history there probably says you're right.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Israeli police have “enough evidence” to indict Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on bribery and fraud charges, Israeli media reported on Thursday.

Israel Hayom, a widely circulated free Hebrew paper, said on Thursday’s front-page headline that there is “strong evidence of bribery,” adding that “investigators have enough evidence to charge the prime minister on fraud, breach of trust and bribery charges”.

Israel Hayom?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are there other historical examples where a nation conquered some land but didn't immediately annex it? Curious to know how those scenarios played out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

qkkl posted:

Are there other historical examples where a nation conquered some land but didn't immediately annex it? Curious to know how those scenarios played out.

Depends on what exactly you mean by 'annex'. Puppet and client states have existed for a long time thought.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

starkebn posted:

Seems defeatist. But 70 years of history there probably says you're right.

There are things that could happen to change Israel's behaviour. The primary example is the United States not paying for Israel's security services and providing it political cover on the international stage.

Futuresight posted:

Yeah but if you go by what Israel wants it also puts a one state solution with equal rights off the table. There's basically no path to peace that doesn't require the state of Israel changing its plans in some way.

What about going by what both parties want? Palestinians also want a two-state solution.

Sorry to tell you BDS.

qkkl posted:

Tons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina#Austro-Hungarian_rule_.281878.E2.80.931918.29

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Literally the only group in Israel/Palestine that is remotely interested in a one-state solution is Israeli Arabs and they still prefer two states.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

well, it's a religious theocracy and they're not jewish... :shrug:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

qkkl posted:

The entire situation resembles pre-modern non-borders. Arguably the settlements program resembles the "ring of iron" of castles to conquer medieval Wales.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that's "Dr." David ""Former" KKK Grand Wizard" Duke's argument here. :rolleyes:

:gonk:

I'm dumb

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Israel Hayom?

Sheldon Adelson's joke tabloid, so that's telling in multiple ways - effect of scandals about their relationship with Likud, maybe they do have them dead to rights, etc...

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Disinterested posted:

What about going by what both parties want? Palestinians also want a two-state solution.

I'm not supporting one state solution in that post, I'm pointing out it doesn't fare any better under the "Israel doesn't want it" test.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the desert

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Interesting idea. If Israel terra-formed the Negev and made it suitable for agriculture I wonder if Palestinians would accept a state there.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The negev is two times the size of Israel + Gaza + West Bank; It's a terra-forming operation on a sci-fi scale.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Netanyahu's son is a memelord...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

I did not say an abstract Bantustan is, I said that Gaza and the West Bank are separate countries, and a two state solution has nearly universal support in international politics, and a majority of support among Palestinians.

And? Why bother talking about how a two-state solution has support from every country on Earth except one, because the one exception is the one whose say actually matter. Israel is pushing for a one-Jewish-state solution where Palestinian territory is slowly annexed by ever-increasing encroachments of illegal settlements, "security" areas, walls, checkpoints, and Israeli-only roads. The ever-shrinking islands of Palestinian territory are under Israel's military occupation anyway, so it should be considered to be de-facto part of Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

qkkl posted:

Interesting idea. If Israel terra-formed the Negev and made it suitable for agriculture I wonder if Palestinians would accept a state there.

Israel has actually made quite a bit of the Negev agriculturally viable, and has been exporting the required technology to (other) 3rd-world countries for most of its existence.

Edit: it is also actively trying to move Beduins who live there around and in some cases decitizenize them to make room for more Jewish settlements, so I'm not sure this is going to work out.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 12, 2017