Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her current costume looks way better than that tube top/crop top idea sounds, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive probably posted it before in the manga thread but i really want momo to come up with a supermove of creating an entire set of like eod-level armor around her in one go at some point

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tollymain posted:

ive probably posted it before in the manga thread but i really want momo to come up with a supermove of creating an entire set of like eod-level armor around her in one go at some point
Yeah, I was kinda hoping she'd pull poo poo like the Iron Blood Alchemist at some point.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I don't really care. Like at all honestly.

Especially given the series' contemporaries in the magazine.

E: I just rewatched the episode real quick and I didn't really see anything to the degree of what people are talking about. Ya'll got brain worms. I guess everyone's dropping the series next season when one of the few actual fanservice moments shows up.

it's not necessarily going to put most people off the series entirely but it's just a thing that is lame and we can all collectively hope that someday we can move beyond weak-effort "fan service" shots

hth

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ill gladly watch mt lady fling her big rear end around all day but it's incredibly lame when horikoshi does it to his like six or so teenage characters and making mineta his creator's pet to get horny over fifteen year olds is like the only very bad thing about this series imo and fitting to discuss in this, the thread for the my hero academia animation.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 11, 2017

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh no is the fan service part that's coming up next season bad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you say it as if there's only 1 part

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
let's just say Kirishima won't be the only one who's Hardening

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kild posted:

you say it as if there's only 1 part
I can only think of one scene really if the next season covers the two big arcs.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Mineta is involved and it's literally the most warmed over of anime fanservice cliche scenes. Like probably the #1 most cliche.

Kaubocks posted:

it's not necessarily going to put most people off the series entirely but it's just a thing that is lame and we can all collectively hope that someday we can move beyond weak-effort "fan service" shots

hth

Moltrey posted:

ill gladly watch mt lady fling her big rear end around all day but it's incredibly lame when horikoshi does it to his like six or so teenage characters and making mineta his creator's pet to get horny over fifteen year olds is like the only very bad thing about this series imo and fitting to discuss in this, the thread for the my hero academia animation.
I get you but man, comparing MHA to say Yuuna/Souma/Black Clover/etc I feel kinda blessed it has all been as tame as it has. Like, Horikoshi isn't going back to add nipples to full-frontal shots in his volumes is all I'm saying- like the mangaka that does Yuuna.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Re: boobs, I know it doesn't make it better at all but the target audience for this show is the same age or younger than Yaoyorozu and they really like boobs. Citation: [Myself at 13.] The real culprit for this sort of thing is of course Horikoshi's unquenchable thirst for boobs, but I'm sure sales play a part in the direction more than just creeping on children.

But at least the anime promoters knows who their true fans are. My girlfriend picked up an otome anime mag yesterday and I was pleased to see that it came with a double page poster of the Aizawa fight. Featuring close-ups of Aizawa and Todoroki with Momo all tiny in the background.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I get you but man, comparing MHA to say Yuuna/Souma/Black Clover/etc I feel kinda blessed it has all been as tame as it has. Like, Horikoshi isn't going back to add nipples to full-frontal shots in his volumes is all I'm saying- like the mangaka that does Yuuna.

why would you compare MHA and Black Clover to literal ecchi series tho, of course they're tame in comparison.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

why would you compare MHA and Black Clover to literal ecchi series tho, of course they're tame in comparison.
They're in the same mag targeted at the same age-group and general audience (tween boys). There has definitely been worse WSJ series (and battle shounen if you're getting specific) regarding fanservice. I'm just saying- count your blessings.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fabricated posted:

I don't really care. Like at all honestly.

Especially given the series' contemporaries in the magazine.

E: I just rewatched the episode real quick and I didn't really see anything to the degree of what people are talking about. Ya'll got brain worms. I guess everyone's dropping the series next season when one of the few actual fanservice moments shows up.

Yep, that's how it works, when you like something and point out there are bad parts it means you're going to drop it. You nailed it dude.

Since you couldn't see it I went through the episode again. These three shots had no reason to have the focus that they did. This being animation, I hope you understand that this isn't something like an unfortunate camera angle. It's something that was deliberately set up and presented this way. It could have been presented differently, but it wasn't, and that's because someone made a choice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MHA is better than many of its contemporaries about fanservice but it's also worse than some of its contemporaries about it too. So I don't know if comparing it to other jump series is the best argument.

The series is in WSJ where fanservice is common so it's not much of a surprise it has some but that doesn't stop it from being pretty lame. Especially since Momo isn't even the first character with a quirk that makes them wear a sexy costume for the readers to look at.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Especially since Momo isn't even the first character with a quirk that makes them wear a sexy costume for the readers to look at.

At least her quirk lets her wear a costume at all!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I honestly don't even mind it when it's a lewd joke or something like most of Mineta's scenes. They aren't great but they are at least self-aware enough about how bad and creepy they are that they get a pass. But the last episode had these shots randomly throughout scenes with high emotional/narrative stakes. That's when the show asks that you take the fanservice shots seriously, and that is a significantly different thing from anything else.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah its kinda dumb that they did that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dramatic emotional development... with boobs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

YF-23 posted:

Yep, that's how it works, when you like something and point out there are bad parts it means you're going to drop it. You nailed it dude.

Since you couldn't see it I went through the episode again. These three shots had no reason to have the focus that they did. This being animation, I hope you understand that this isn't something like an unfortunate camera angle. It's something that was deliberately set up and presented this way. It could have been presented differently, but it wasn't, and that's because someone made a choice.
Those shots (which I counted and compose an incredible 15 seconds totaled up) didn't really strike me as fan-servicey. Or at least they didn't stick in my head. That weird?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the boob one while momo jogs is definitely weird, but if i had to care about shots like the other two (read: any pan-up involving a character with breasts) i would go insane.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man you guys are making a way bigger deal about this then you need to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We can only talk about how good the episodes are for so long.

When the series is this good, the flaws like that stand out that much more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

We can only talk about how good the episodes are for so long.

When the series is this good, the flaws like that stand out that much more.

This is not even a flaw it's just some fanservice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is not even a flaw it's just some fanservice.
"Focusing the camera on a teenager's boobs isn't a flaw." - MonsterEnvy

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I can only think of one scene really if the next season covers the two big arcs.

Spoilers:

The Mineta Scene and the Mei scene and possibly the Toga scene

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I typically just ignore fanservice, but that shot of Tsuyu post-stomach trick bothered me. Could have drawn it any other way, and they went with what we got.

Just creepy.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
MHA anime: in which we focus on boobs longer than the episode did

edit: Maybe momo can better direct and control extruded things from her torso rather than her arms (could limit use of both hands) or legs (has to bend or crouch to access created item)?

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 11, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man you guys are making a way bigger deal about this then you need to.

it's almost like this has been a lame issue for a long time and when it shows up in an otherwise extremely good thing it kinda blows, not necessarily because it retroactively makes the whole thing bad but because it makes it slightly harder to recommend to others and it's a thing we should all be better about as a whole to begin with

it's ok to wish a show you like treated its female characters with slightly more respect

EDIT: like, there are good moments to be had where momo deals with a kind of blow to her self-worth when her internship was largely given because of her looks. there's some characterization to be had there as it comes to a front in the most recent episode where you can see she struggles with it. then the camera's just like "woah look at these tits" while she runs which is a real tonal shift from the scene when they could have drawn like literally anything else.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh outside of boobshots i think mha treats its female cast better than a lot of things i can think of

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

tbh outside of boobshots i think mha treats its female cast better than a lot of things i can think of

yea for sure, honestly just dump mineta and stop being a weirdo with the camera once every handful of episodes and that's genuinely my biggest complaint gone

at that point all i've really got against it is "the pacing in season 1 is bad"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As much as this is Horikoshi's fault for designing her outfit this way, he probably didn't have a say in how the scenes were directed, so I'm willing to chalk it up to someone at Bones loving it up.

It was unnecessary and gratuitous fanservice and kind of undermined the actual story going on, but that's all that can be said on the matter. I get it is important to call these things out when they happen, but I dunno what we're exactly supposed to do otherwise on here besides all nod in agreement that it was bad with a few devil's advocates that go "no, underage boobs are actually good" and then someone brings up Mineta and the discussion just gets more toxic, because he's a bad character.

He also gets poo poo on all of the time for his lovely behavior, but yeah, I get it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

"Focusing the camera on a teenager's boobs isn't a flaw." - MonsterEnvy

It's not a flaw, lets not forget this show is intended for Teens to begin with. And it seems the main complaint is that Momo is young when she is supposed to be around the same age as the intended audience. It's just the show happens to be very good and hit above it's age group.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 11, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's not a flaw, lets not forget this show is intended for Teens to begin with. And it seems the main complaint is that Momo is young when she is supposed to be around the same age as the intended audience. It's just the show happens to be very good and hit above it's age group.

It's a flaw

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, it's Bones, boobshots of teenagers is kind of par for the course for them. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bones staffs a variety of directors with different styles

blood blockade battlefront was directed by a lady and she went as far as changing stuff to make it appeal to women more so i don't think bones as a studio demands boob shots

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

looking back on their lineup in general I'm not sure what you're talking about unless mob psycho was way hornier than I'd been led to believe

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 11, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or maybe I could be a half-asleep idiot and mentally mix up Bones and Trigger.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's my take as well. It doesn't sit well with me that a show aimed at teenagers should make changes specifically because there are creepy adults out there.

That said, I agree that, thematically, inserting fanservice shots of Momo in a part of the story about regaining her self-worth after her internship couldn't be more awfully timed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Or maybe I could be a half-asleep idiot and mentally mix up Bones and Trigger.
trigger's made four tv anime and only one really had any real amount of fanservice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the frog post-vomit shot was the only thing i honestly even really noticed, but also "it's meant for teens" doesn't make sexualizing teens ok

• Locked thread