Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can think of like three great horror films in the past i dunno 10 years?

It Comes at Night, Get Out, Green Room, Raw, Sausage Party, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Visit, The VVitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think there's also this factor to consider: By the 80s, Wolfman and Frankenstein were also not going to scare your general discerning adult viewers. Stephen King set the story up this way for A Reason, and this is a cue that Muschietti does seem to understand.

This movie takes particular time out to point at the Nightmare on Elm Street marquee. The dynamic haunted house and the jokey slasher villain Pennywise mode, along with the nightmare analogue it shares with the book, are meant to be combined in pretty near exactly this manner. The real horror, for the reader-viewer, contextually, was always the setting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 10, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SleepCousinDeath posted:

It Comes at Night, Get Out, Green Room, Raw, Sausage Party, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Visit, The VVitch?

the visit is a comedy.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can think of like three great horror films in the past i dunno 10 years?

You should watch more horror movies.

Seriously, they're good for the soul.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the visit is a comedy.

same thing

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

the visit is a comedy.

So is The Fly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the 80s one isn't don't loving do this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think you think horror comedy is some new or rare thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think you think horror comedy is some new or rare thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wouldn't put the fly with beetlejuice or gremlins.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'd say the uncomfortable humor of The Fly (1986) is pretty close in essence if not texture exactly to The Gremlins.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It just hit me that Belch's Anthrax t-shirt was a subtle King nod since the album's titular song Among the Living is about The Stand.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It just hit me that Belch's Anthrax t-shirt was a subtle King nod since the album's titular song Among the Living is about The Stand.

Yeah I loved that. Skeleton in the Closet is about Apt Pupil also. I feel like they might have another King song I'm forgetting too.

What was the metal song playing during the rock fight? I couldn't quite make it out.

Edit: looked it up and it was Antisocial by, you guessed it, Anthrax

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 10, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

...Sausage Party?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The rock fight was probably my favourite scene in the movie. Man it was great

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I guess it's not surprising they didn't include actual use of the slur, but I thought it was strange how sanitized Mike's character was when a lot of his conflict with Bowers was racially charged in the book.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Canemacar posted:

I guess it's not surprising they didn't include actual use of the slur, but I thought it was strange how sanitized Mike's character was when a lot of his conflict with Bowers was racially charged in the book.

I think this is probably one of those situations where the use of slurs would strengthen the antagonistic character of the relationship. Bowers is a villain after all, and attacking a little boy over his race really cements his hateful, irrational and violent nature. I'd accept the idea that they scrapped it to make Mike more than "this is the black kid, his character is that he's the black kid" if they hadn't taken away his interest in history and given it to Ben. It just kinda left Mike without much identity. Additionally, the race-related bits with Mike were very heartfelt in the book. The one where a little boy innocently told him that n- was a good word because the way his dad used it and when Bowers started rattling off every slur he knew were especially well done. Mike wasn't angry, but respectively sad and bewildered because he was a little boy that didn't quite understand the nature of the people yet. And god, that's awful.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I just saw it last night. I really enjoyed it. I found the Pennywise scenes more cool than scary, though Skarsgard's performance was definitely chilling and the design was a perfect blend of charming and way wrong. The parts that got my heart pounding, though, were when the kids were being tormented by older people, especially Ben getting attacked at the bridge.

When I saw it, I didn't know it was by the director of Mama, which I also really enjoyed, but I did notice right away that the Flute Lady looked pretty much exactly like Mama with the distorted face. That was a great scene, in what it does to set up Stan's fear. When he goes in he's got a hand up to shield himself from seeing the painting, and then makes a decision to confront it, wanting to be free from its influence. This just brings the painting into IT's toolbox to use against him and it's really effective.

One of the rare films I think I will be seeing again in theaters if I can.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Das Boo posted:

I think this is probably one of those situations where the use of slurs would strengthen the antagonistic character of the relationship. Bowers is a villain after all, and attacking a little boy over his race really cements his hateful, irrational and violent nature. I'd accept the idea that they scrapped it to make Mike more than "this is the black kid, his character is that he's the black kid" if they hadn't taken away his interest in history and given it to Ben. It just kinda left Mike without much identity. Additionally, the race-related bits with Mike were very heartfelt in the book. The one where a little boy innocently told him that n- was a good word because the way his dad used it and when Bowers started rattling off every slur he knew were especially well done. Mike wasn't angry, but respectively sad and bewildered because he was a little boy that didn't quite understand the nature of the people yet. And god, that's awful.

yeah, this is the deeper problem of robbing Mike of any characterization and identity. it definitely felt like a time thing, as Stan also didn't have much going for him either, but Mike's absence was much louder for me, specifically cause he's such an integral character in both the book and the miniseries. But there's a really odd thing going with him being stripped of his identity so much that even his blackness isn't there. I think you can look at it in both a positive and negative way, for the reason you said. they were definitely working toward something new and promising with his storyline, but it wasn't given time to develop.

it's my one gripe with the film that I had while viewing it, and that I still have.

also, I'm aware of how odd it is to apparently be caught off guard that a character isn't being hate-crime'd, I hope that's not how this is coming across. Mike has plenty of characterization when he's alone, it's only when he's around the rest of the white cast that he becomes a nonentity.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 10, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, Pennywise is definitely literally eating his victims. Aside from Georgie's arm and the armpit bite on Adrian, Mike makes a point of discussing how he knew exactly what it was when it started happening again because the victims weren't sexually assaulted, but had all been partially eaten.

Where is this part in the book?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mike is definitely the character that feels like they got the shortest shrift in the movie, although he had a couple great moments (the shot revealing that he brought his cattle gun to the final showdown got a HUGE audience reaction)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Mike for sure got the short stick in the movie, followed by Stan, I guess. I didn't think Ben being into history seemed right, and that made sense when it's mentioned that it was Mike in the book. A lame change, but I guess it fits more with the structure of the movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mike is definitely the character that feels like they got the shortest shrift in the movie, although he had a couple great moments (the shot revealing that he brought his cattle gun to the final showdown got a HUGE audience reaction)

yeah, that part was great and really got me up and rdy for the big showdown

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Mike still had some good and important scenes, and I liked the kid playing him. The issue is just that he disappears from about 45 minutes of the movie and by the time he's part of the group, the story ramps into a higher gear so we don't get as many of the scenes of them bonding (I actually really like the way the rock fight, and then the moving history book, is done in the miniseries). I think he just need an extra 1-2 scenes in that 45 minute stretch, or an additional scene with him being part of the group doing something normal before they go the spooky house.

On another note, I really prefer the acting of the kids to the the adults in the miniseries, and I think that to a large part is what makes the kid scenes stronger. It's not that the acting by the adult characters is necessarily "bad" or that they're miscast, but they act like they know they're in a hokey made-for-TV miniseries. The child actors, who would have less self-consciousness about the material, just play it straight and it comes across as a lot less gauche.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MrMojok posted:

Where is this part in the book?

Google books is extremely helpful, it turns out:

quote:

Do I tell them that the bodies of the children that were found back then and now weren't sexually molested, not even precisely mutilated, but partially eaten?

It doesn't give me the page number, but this happens around their reunion, after Richie has to switch to glasses again because his contacts are burning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I saw IT for a second time today. Where during my first showing the audience in my theater really enjoyed Ritchie's humor this time it fell completely flat. It was really strange.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the beaver trapping line was great.

tho i think the funniest bit was bev seeing the poster and the music playing and she gives ben that smirk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is another part where she fits a NKOTB song title or two into conversation and gives him a wink.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

A lot of the James Wan stuff is Really Good if not Great

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Google books is extremely helpful, it turns out:

It doesn't give me the page number, but this happens around their reunion, after Richie has to switch to glasses again because his contacts are burning.

Thanks

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pennywise shapeshifting from Georgie form to Clown Form was pretty freaky. The limb growing back, pompoms sprouting on his feet, and stretching out really made Pennywise look very organic that challenges 'its just an illusion'.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the beaver trapping line was great.

tho i think the funniest bit was bev seeing the poster and the music playing and she gives ben that smirk.

I was the only one in the theater to laugh out loud at that one. :smith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Pennywise shapeshifting from Georgie form to Clown Form was pretty freaky. The limb growing back, pompoms sprouting on his feet, and stretching out really made Pennywise look very organic that challenges 'its just an illusion'.

This is the kind of stuff I wish we had seen more often. I liked at one point Pennywise busts out Scyther arms.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I loved the movie, though I thought some things could have been added without affecting pace, which is a great thing to be able to say about a relatively long time horror movie.

Pennywise was outstanding. I loved his sudden change of expression when speaking with Georgie, the saliva, the "Pennywise, yes" bit, the change in his eyes from yellow to blue and back to yellow. His movements were great and I loved his subtle presence just as much, like in the kids TV show host saying "go play in the sewers!"

He was creepy in Neibolt Street too, "is this real enough for you Eddie?" Pure magic. loving with Mike with the severed arm as he gets his rear end kicked was sadly hilarious.

I'm peeved about Mike getting neutered. I also felt the kids should have had more carefree days at some point, the miniseries did that well with the dam.

Giant It, marvellous. Creepy librarian lady. The happy pharmacist.

Bullies given short shrift. Henry will return in part 2.

Rambling here but overall it was so much fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

This is the kind of stuff I wish we had seen more often. I liked at one point Pennywise busts out Scyther arms.

spider legs

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 11, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A couple hours after I saw this there just happend to be a red ballon floating down my street :aaaaa:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

Based on her IMDB page she was really made up for this movie and I have a feeling they are actually just going to recast her as Eddie's wife.

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

Super Fan posted:

A couple hours after I saw this there just happend to be a red ballon floating down my street :aaaaa:

I can beat that. I saw a red balloon tied to a car in the parking garage on my way out of the theater

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cake in the break room posted:

I can beat that. I saw a red balloon tied to a car in the parking garage on my way out of the theater

Red balloon sales are really blowing up after this movie inflated their popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, I thought I heard some mice in my house, but it turned out it was just some water hitting dishes in a weird way. And it really hit me how amazing the idea of It using the pipes to move is. "It's just the pipes" is a reasonable explanation that parents give for the sounds kids think are monsters. The inversion of, "yes it is the pipes because there's a loving monster in there" is a brilliant idea it took me thirty years to fully understand.

• Locked thread