Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Cosmic Afro posted:

Yeah, I made a googledoc of all my relics and I'm looking things over. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MUlVZ5DdNeiWCyH29PbkMiLqU1Z1q0ZgPeh08jnTDLc/edit#gid=0

Firion with BSB looks nice, considering the truckload of attacks you can do with his Burst 1.
Bartz would be better if I had his USB and BSB2, but his LM rocks.
Faris would be a good choice to hit harder with support and make them last longer, yeah.
Celes would be great too, like Fister Roboto said, Terra's not worth it for me. Relm's is eeeehhhn.
Cloud would rock if I had any of his BSB or USB, the rest I own don't have a Legend dive.
Could make an argument for Beatrix and Zidane, but more on Beatrix.
Auron is in a similar situation as Ayame. Yuna's LM is eeeehhhn but her SBs are great.
Could make an argument for Vaan and Fran, but if I dive Fran, I'm better driving Faris.
Cid Raines would probably kick a shitload of rear end with his BSB and being LMed. Vanille too, with BSB. Hope... well, when we get his.
Iris' is ... nice, but I'm not sure how much that actually helps me, increasing Mind by amount of uses of White Magic.
Agrias' could seriously kickass, free Imperils.

Hm, that was some good advice. Thanks.

Personally I went for Faris, as I have both USBs and BSB; otherwise I've gone for double casts I have good relics for: Cloud, Ysh, and Bartz so far. I'm currently debating on Cid Raines and Agrias, as those both seem solid.

I don't have them, but Ayame looks great and with Noctis OSB/LMR you may consider his dive, if you want a nonelemental murder bot. As long as you are interested in investing the crystals for Omega Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Edge USB has pushed my liquid flame runs from struggling to get under 1:00 to occasionally sub 30s. It depends on how many physical aoe attacks are used and how many times raging waters double procs for sub 30s success.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
On that note is there a good way to protect mirror image stacks? Does normal p blink get used up first when both are applied?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Mirror image is PBlink.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Hogama posted:

A little bit of update on the new SB gauge - the selection button will turn green at one bar, blue at two bars, and red at three bars.

All predictions that the new Overstrike would be three bars (1.5 current) and the Flash Tech would be one bar (0.5 current) appear to be on the money.

If the button changes colors, that makes me wonder if here will be variable cost soul breaks. These could be soul breaks that use up to three bars (or just all bars) and are more powerful/have bonus effects depending on how many bars go into them.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
3 bars are turning into six half size bars apparently. Current SBs are going to use 2 half bars, no change in total points required though. Green uses one, blue two, red three (equivalent to 0.5, 1, 1.5 current SB bars)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I stole your sheet because it's a really nice format and did up my own collection so I have a nifty visual reference for what my synergy looks like, although a few things in there I don't physically have anymore (like Josef's Giant's Gloves or Rinoa's Rising Sun).

It's good to see that I'm completely stacked for FFV. :unsmith:

Here's my collection if anyone cares.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can now get up to 9 hours of sleep without losing stamina :toot:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Huh. Cecil's LMR on my gem pull. It's not amazing, but I have his BSB, and this is oddly enough my first holy+ armor all my Paladins can use since all I had before were robes. I guess if I ever want a Cover-er, I know who I'll dive.

And while I know it's because Kain and Cecil's relics aren't new - but it's weird to see Cid BSB be the banner headliner right beside Edge USB.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
SO glad I did not draw for IV relics for the CM. I utterly smashed it with what I have(Kain BSB and Cecil BSB) in like two turns.

...and CRAP!!! Apparently the IV torment is coming on tuesday! NOO

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 11, 2017

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Best QoL update you'll ever get

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Mirror image is PBlink.

I thought it was a unique buff that does that same thing as pblink but isn't the same thing as edge ssb for example

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Fister Roboto posted:

I blasted through the realm dungeons specifically for this. It's amazing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I wonder if we will get the bard motes finally since they're supposed to be with the IV torment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I thought it was a unique buff that does that same thing as pblink but isn't the same thing as edge ssb for example

You can use Blink from other sources like Edge's SSB to increase the damage from things like Reflecting Pool. They're the same status.

(I'm not sure if Sephiroth/Y'shtola's Dual Blink counts, but it's probably not hard to check).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

edit: not my picture

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 11, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I guess it might be worth noting that it doesn't matter what order you stack Reflecting Pool and another blink to get a 2 stack blink.

I was curious and tested it both ways (pool first then other blink, and other blink first then pool 2nd) but raging waters hit 4 times regardless

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Edge's lmr activating when you use your 1st reflecting pool is sweet. You can launching right into a 4 hit the next turn.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tyros USB is a flat 2000 HP stock which is already just about better than a curaga from tyro anyway, before taking into account his usb does a lot of other things

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tyros USB is a flat 2000 HP stock which is already just about better than a curaga from tyro anyway, before taking into account his usb does a lot of other things

Healing Grimoire is Curaja, which should easily hit 3k+. USB is still better most of the time, but if the boss isn't using status and you don't need to worry about refreshing Haste, might as well pop the stronger heal.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Healing Grimoire is Curaja, which should easily hit 3k+. USB is still better most of the time, but if the boss isn't using status and you don't need to worry about refreshing Haste, might as well pop the stronger heal.

It's a bigger cure but it doesn't go on top of your max HP, and the USB gives tyro instant cast afterwards to get back more SB.

It's not an exact replacement but basically nobody should be THAT upset they missed out on healing grimoire

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

That might be the case as well since supposedly there will be two new SB types and the other sounds like to be some giga overstrike. Hell it might even be more than 3 but the effect better be phenomenal at that point.

It's worth noting that someone detected engine tweaks to let the game calculate damage in the billions.

I'm not saying it's likely, just saying it's possible.

Nihilarian posted:

I master everything I get, no matter how poo poo it is. There's probably not going to be a day where Squall's Revolver comes in handy, but I'll be ready when it comes

Even Core White Mage/Black Mage/Bard/Ranger have their unique gear SBs mastered. Leave no SB unmastered, no matter how worthless it may seem.

Schwartzcough posted:

You just kinda need to look at their LM and evaluate how useful they would be, especially based on the relics you have. In general, dualcast LMs are very powerful, and should probably be prioritized over stuff like "+1% magic for every ice attack used". Ayame is great because her BSB commands are classified as samurai, and her LM1 increases ice damage by 10% and her LM2 gives 35% chance to dualcast samurai abilities, so she can tear stuff up. Similarly Hope gets dualcast holy, so I guess he's alright if you plan to use his BSBs a lot.

Conversely, Snow would be a pretty bad candidate, with his LM1 being "reduce ice damage by 10%", and his LM2 just being start with sentinel, essentially. Those LMs are very niche in their usefulness.

The start with haste and instant cast 3 are probably a lot better than you think, though, as you can get people set up with a full SB bar, instantly summon a RW, or do all sorts of very fast prep at the start of a fight.

Yeah, it goes case-by-case. Like, even with Relm's BSB and USB she's basically rock-bottom priority for Legend Diving? Her LM1 would be nice (healing amount boost) but her LM2 (minor elemental resistance) isn't nearly as helpful as you'd think it would be. Contrast Y'shtola, whose dive gives her a Doublecast White Magic proc (which can and does trigger with her BSB commands), and it's obvious to see which is the "better".

Good effects to look for in a LM2 (or LMR, but LMRs are generally less effective):
  • Doublecast procs
  • Chaser/special effect procs (Relm's LMR giving MBlink on white magic, Mog/Penelo having medica chasers when they dance)
  • Auto-haste + instant cast (amazing on supportbots who can entrust, simply "great" on other people)

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The unique buff is "the ability to stack pblinks", essentially. The 5* Ninja skill gives one layer of pblink and the ability to stack up to two. That means even if the enemy hits you once, you could cast back up to two again without any special help.

(Some SBs automatically give multiple pblinks, but they're few and far between and not on anyone who can stack normally.)

Kawalimus posted:

...and CRAP!!! Apparently the IV torment is coming on tuesday! NOO

It's finally coming.

Bard motes.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 11, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

(Some SBs automatically give multiple pblinks, but they're few and far between and not on anyone who can stack normally.)

Not sure what you mean by "can stack normally", but Shadow's SSB gives two stacks of pblink that will work with the new ninja skills. So in theory he can bring lifesiphon for 2 gauges, SSB, BSB, and then spam the 4-hit dark equivalent of the water one we just got.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Of all the characters with existing single-cast multi-blink SBs, Shadow is the only one who has Ninja 5, which is the only ability school that provides Physical Blink.
(None of the following characters have a BSB command that grants them Physical Blink, either.)

Rydia's Radiant Breath unique SB and Balthier's Element of Treachery unique SB are the other Physical Blink 2 characters.
Yda has Physical Blink 3 on her USB.
(Sephiroth's Octaslash BSB2 and Machina's Awakening USB give Dual Blink 2 on entry.)

If it hasn't been pointed out, Eiko's BSB synergizes really well with these new Ninja abilities - 50% Critical chance on entry and Physical Blink 1 to target on CMD 1.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hogama posted:

Of all the characters with existing single-cast multi-blink SBs, Shadow is the only one who has Ninja 5, which is the only ability school that provides Physical Blink.
(None of the following characters have a BSB command that grants them Physical Blink, either.)

Right, I forgot Shadow's SSB gave him two stacks of pblink automatically. :downs: Everyone obsessed over it when it first came out because of being instant-cast and Shadow being the only ninja with Lifesiphon access, so I was mistakenly under the belief it was just raw DPS like Locke's SSB1 was.

But yeah, what I meant was that the two Ninja 5 skills are the only ones that let you stack blinks, and everyone (except Shadow) with a multi-blink SB lacks Ninja 5 access.

Out of curiosity, could you use one of the blink skills and then Shadow's SSB to get to a stack of three, or does it hard-cap at 2?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the status only enables 2 Physical Blink stacks, so probably just a hard limit there.

Also! There was a livestream that ended a bit ago, with some tidbits.

Elarra/Urara WILL eventually be a playable character, but the story has to catch up first.
Palom and Porom's TAY wardrobe records are finished and coded and waiting on a IV event. (First they said there wouldn't be one this year, then after a break they said there WOULD be another one this year)
3rd anniversary won't have a 30-draw, but it will have a bunch of freebie goodies, including a new 5* Monk ability, Icicle Crush. (Rejoice, Snow and Josef!) Also a 70-mythril dungeon.

Nemesis will return for a Revenge dungeon fight, and there'll be a new elemental themed Eternal Crystal boss event, but the big superboss for this anniversary is none other than Ozma.

There will also be a trivia battle with Ragtime.

A Fork Tower event that prohibits physical abilities in one and magical abilities in the other.

On 15th September, SB Gauge will be revamped; on 19th September, 50 inventory slots will be given to all players for free and the maximum will be increased.

Ultimate Overflow
Stronger than OSBs
Multi-hits
Require 3 SB gauges
You can only activate UOSB once per battle
99999 is the max per hit

Flash Technique
Sengi
Can be used up to 3 times per battle
require less SB gauge as usual
Purpose is to allow players to use a SB early on in battle
Enlightning...
Instant Enlightning
this is Lightning's Flash Tech

There will be a free 11-pull banner with a free relic choice - all players will get 1 OSB, 1 BSB, and 1 SSB.

And we know that Tyro gets a USB3 while Lightning and Squall get UOSBs.

(A sneak peek leaked of Squall's; apparently it's been buffed since this but it should still give an idea.)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 11, 2017

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I learned today that the extra hits from proccing spellblade master and such can incur multiple counter attacks. Eating multiple Counter Ultimate Firagas in a row is no fun.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Good information for the new SB types, thanks for sharing Hogama. The previews answer one more thing that I was wondering about: the rarity of the new stuff.

The image shows the relics being 6* so there we go. I'd assume we're looking at cool sidegrades and interesting options but not incredible power creep for now.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Lightning will now have four relics that grant En-Lightning, her old SB, her SSB2, her USB and now her Flash SB (FSB?). Lightning strikes way too many times.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Nice, I was a bit worried how this CM will go but did it just fine.

99 Golbez with R3 Syldra. Golbez has BSB but didn't use it.
72 Porom with Protectga. Has SSB Sync but didn't use
71 Rydia with R1 Tritoch and R3 Bahamut
71 Palom with R3 Ruinga
70 Gilbert with Mana's Pean

RW my buddy ETB's Mog BSB on Gilbert
Hydra Magicite (used before Tritoch)

Killed the dolls before they combined. I brought my entire FFIV synergy, the whopping two items, but didn't actually use either SB.

Good old novice rank clear but whatever, someone else can come and do the job properly.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I haven't even gotten through the IV event yet. Been farming Ice Orbs with most of my free stamina. From what I've read of the CM though, Kain BSB makes it absolutely trivial.

From reading the event today, I'm glad powercreep isn't accelerating too much with the new relics. I'll likely still limit myself to only two pulls max per banner for now though. I think there are too many good relics and chances to get these relics coming up to waste on bad chases.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What's a good strategy for the Rubicante Jump Start? Seeing that he can randomly pull up his cloak and do hard counters to that, along with an Ultimate Dispel via Ultimate Inferno, it just seems like a big pain in the butt.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Nuke the everliving crap out of him before he even cloaks up with Cloud USB RW and your strongest dudes (like every other event JS).

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Did the Event 220 and Rubicante never even put up his cloak. Chump.

Sometime RNGesus works in mysterious ways, and doesn't always screw you over.

Edit: Also F the rewards in this JS battle, I need the exact opposite: Dexterity 4* and Bravery 5*.

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 11, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So my enwatered, USBd, cloud USB RWd edge has the capability to do 99999x10 to apoc rubicante with raging waters dual proc...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alxprit posted:

What's a good strategy for the Rubicante Jump Start? Seeing that he can randomly pull up his cloak and do hard counters to that, along with an Ultimate Dispel via Ultimate Inferno, it just seems like a big pain in the butt.

I'm pretty sure he always cloaks up on his fifth turn. I have no idea about the second time because I OSBd his rear end dead before that.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I stole your sheet because it's a really nice format and did up my own collection so I have a nifty visual reference for what my synergy looks like, although a few things in there I don't physically have anymore (like Josef's Giant's Gloves or Rinoa's Rising Sun).

It's good to see that I'm completely stacked for FFV. :unsmith:

Here's my collection if anyone cares.

Thanks you, you're welcome! I'm thinking of adding some visualization to tell me which relic have a SB that's an EnElement, Imperil or something similar, too, maybe a colored comment or similar.

I've also decided to invest into Ayame's Legend Materia grid and maxed out. This is kind of nuts.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 11, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure he always cloaks up on his fifth turn. I have no idea about the second time because I OSBd his rear end dead before that.

Yeah, it's not "at random", it's on a definite set turn cycle. If you're looking to rush him down between cloakings, consider investing in AoE instant-cast SBs if you have them - Relm USB, Ramza USB, Noctis SSB, Raijin SSB. The faster you get your own SBs out, the more you can whittle him down before the cloak goes up again.

That said, I went through both the A+ and JS without knowing Ultimate Inferno was an Ultimate Dispel. Sorry, Dr. Mog, if that helpful tip was in your giant tl;dr blurb of word vomit, I missed it. If nothing else, it explains why my damage tanked and his damage skyrocketed every time he came out of a decloak cycle.

EDIT: Sure enough, it's right there near the top. Dear writers/translators: when your boss "tips" are an unbroken blob of 8-point sans serif text that takes up an entire in-game page of text, you might be getting a bit too wordy, kupo.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 11, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

pichupal posted:

Lightning will now have four relics that grant En-Lightning, her old SB, her SSB2, her USB and now her Flash SB (FSB?). Lightning strikes way too many times.

Probably the best source of EnLightning for her, too. If you don't have the USB, you'd otherwise have to spend a full bar and cast time mostly just to get EnLightning rolling. Now you can do it instantly for half a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Serious protip for 220 Cagnazzo: doing it solo with a full back row team is a million times easier than doing it in MP.

• Locked thread