Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

kinda annoyed that we're getting the woman in refrigerators trope this early, but it's not enough to turn me off the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Build's first two episodes are pretty solid. The way this show is edited feels very... abrupt? The show moves from scene to scene very quickly. It's an interesting shift compared to the previous heisei rider shows. Night Rogue is the dumbest name but also I really like his design.

It feels like the show is moving really fast. Second episode and the protagonist has encountered a potential big bad AND a candidate for a secondary rider? Not the worst problem but the show needs to breath a bit.

How many episodes are supposed to be in this series?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Unlucky7 posted:

It feels like the show is moving really fast. Second episode and the protagonist has encountered a potential big bad AND a candidate for a secondary rider? Not the worst problem but the show needs to breath a bit.

I suspect that they might be trying to get the viewers invested in the show as quickly as possible before the timeslot change when it's sudenly airing at the same time as dragon ball super and one piece.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what you're saying is, Toei is trying to kill Kamen Rider and Super Sentai

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm pretty sure they're moving One Piece and Super too, because why would Toei put their cash-cows against each other.

Also this is just standard for Rider now; while Drive Meandered, Ghost and Ex-Aid both had really breakneck opening sets where they were getting one or two power-ups per episode and just go go go.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

Also this is just standard for Rider now; while Drive Meandered, Ghost and Ex-Aid both had really breakneck opening sets where they were getting one or two power-ups per episode and just go go go.

I sure hope it keeps the pace up like Ex-Aid instead of suddenly braking hard and going at a snail's pace like Ghost. And then undoing any meaningful change because status quo is god and infinite potential exists to be infinitely wasted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm pretty sure they're moving One Piece and Super too, because why would Toei put their cash-cows against each other.
It wouldn't be the first time an exec decided they hated something and specifically worked to kill it, regardless of actual economics involved.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wouldn't even be the first time it's happened to kamen rider

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's not really Toei's decision here, it's all due to TV Asahi wanting to expand their news program and Toei just kind of having to go along with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it wouldn't even be the first time it's happened to kamen rider

gently caress no it wouldn't

See Kamen Rider Stronger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the plus side, Pokemon is no longer a concern for Sentai. And I guess if you have to compete against someone, you might as well compete against yourself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kamen Rider will probably be fine because it reruns throughout the week.

Sentai tho...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Does Sentai not rerun too? I was under the impression that they reran the entire block on Fridays.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've only ever heard about Kamen Rider doing it, and Sentai doesn't have the "be sure to watch us again" bumper like KR does.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Kamen Rider will probably be fine because it reruns throughout the week.

Sentai tho...

Look

Let me be super clear

Taking a break might not be the worst thing. But if it's because they pitted against the super popular never ending anime, that's just lovely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Look

Let me be super clear

Taking a break might not be the worst thing. But if it's because they pitted against the super popular never ending anime, that's just lovely.
"Does he mean Dragon Ball or One Pi- ohhhhhh"

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

So what you're saying is, Toei is trying to kill Kamen Rider and Super Sentai

Well, that would explain the last four Sentai.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've only ever heard about Kamen Rider doing it, and Sentai doesn't have the "be sure to watch us again" bumper like KR does.

Sentai has them, it's just that we never encode them in our raws because the encoder and the editor for sentai hate them :v:

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
So even the cafe owner has a plot hook. This shows building a lot of promise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ignis posted:

Sentai has them, it's just that we never encode them in our raws because the encoder and the editor for sentai hate them :v:

ah, well thank you for educating me

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ignis posted:

Speaking of: I know I already said this and also you didn't really do anything other than having a different staff for Build (and skipping Ex-Aid), but thank you for the gummy ads again.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Well, that would explain the last four Sentai.

Kyuranger, Zyuohger, ToQger, and Kyoryuger are/were all good to great though.

The series taking an off year in 2015-16 was a strange move, sure, but I'm not getting fired up enough to call it attempted murder.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Kyuranger is giving me "why am I watching this" vibes and I'm at around episode 15. I'll see if this Stinger plot resolves in an interesting way before giving it up, but that's the male it or break it point.

It's possible I just grew up finally and stopped being a mentally stunted child, but even shows of ten years ago felt more life or death serious than this show. It's so exclusively for children that my recent re-watch of Akibaranger felt more awkward. Like, "heh, right, what adult is watching this show now for anything other than idle amusement!"

And I'm not grown out of toku completely because a month ago I was looking up gashat prices. I just think they gave up the fringe audience of adults after, uhhh, Gokaiger? I know they were there for Shinkenger but it's been a slow gradual slide since then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's really the increasingly toyetic nature of both franchises over the last decade. They're more concerned with selling toys to kids.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm a child on the inside.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

It's possible I just grew up finally and stopped being a mentally stunted child

is this really neccessary

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kyuranger, Zyuohger, ToQger, and Kyoryuger are/were all good to great though.

The series taking an off year in 2015-16 was a strange move, sure, but I'm not getting fired up enough to call it attempted murder.

Hey hey, I like Kyoryuger a lot. Kyoryuger is good. Kyoryuger is outside my previous statement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zyuohger is pretty good, but I feel like it never really had the punch it needed to. Was always happy to watch it, but was never super excited to?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Zyuohger is pretty good, but I feel like it never really had the punch it needed to. Was always happy to watch it, but was never super excited to?

I agree. Zyuohger is a series that was very consistent in quality, and that quality was undeniably good, but it was never amazing. That said, I still think it's very much a good series and worth watching, but it's a series that's very moderate so it doesn't have moments that are very impactful, but it doesn't have any moments that make you want to leave the series forever and never look back either.

It's good, maybe great, not amazing. It never reaches the quality of series that are more willing to go against the expected like Go-Busters or series that are just entirely focused on being fun as hell like Kyoryuger, but it's absolutely more consistent in being good than something like ToQger that has a lot of insanely boring moments and also some really good ones, or bland series like Goseiger or the FIRED UP TRAINWRECK that is Ninninger.

I don't think Kyuranger will reach that level of quality at this rate, either. It's a series that has its highs, and last week was a high. This week...was not. At all. The big bad appearing should be something that hits me far more than this, here I just want to get back to the Naga plot. Partly because I care about Naga and Balance, a lot, because they're very good characters, but also because this episode was just a trainwreck. ONLY LUCKY CAN SAVE EVERYONE is a lovely plot, stop. You had a full Sentai in the past, they didn't need Lucky. Even moreso because now I know that the Naga plot won't be picked up again until this is done with. And I still don't care about Tsurugi but him and everyone saying that Lucky is 100% the best forever and ever is terrible and out of character for him specifically.

Did they get the Ninninger writer here or something? Lucky has always gotten a lot of spotlight, but it was usually to push the other characters forward, not this. This felt like a Ninninger episode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

is this really neccessary

It certainly is for me. I am a child-at-heart almost to the point of being a problem. Like my level in cruise ships tanked when I realized a single adult man on a Disney cruise ship would be looked at a little sketchy compared to Royal Caribbean or something. I probably would want to be a kid forever if I could.

But really, it's also because I know these sorts of shows require a suspension of reality (how does Rita breathe on the moon? Does she have to go to the bathroom ever?) and I began to wonder if maybe Super Sentai didn't change and I did. But nah, the show designs have gone from the fantasy/tech hybrid we used to know into purely whimsical designs that are big on neither.

Someone said the show is maybe too toy driven but my problem isn't the toy stuff; the dragon mech is pretty badass. And the toy stuff of KR contributes a lot of why I enjoy watching it, I could get by if it was just like Kuuga-Blade but the belts shouting and singing and giving huge announcements is a silly twist on the formula that amuses me for now. It's just how Sentai is more saccharine, something I blamed on the age shift in ToQge previously, and that it's spiced with Bad CGI which is more awkward than the wires and exploding sparklers of the past.

All that said, the commander does make me laugh when he's being an idiot. It's just also kind of clear that KR is the Older Kids Show where bad things can happen with serious consequences, and Sentai is the safer version.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 11, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm referring to the point where you used "stunted child". It sounds more like you meant a childlike sense of being able to believe anything, but the words you used have very different connotations and that's what I was reacting to.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's really the increasingly toyetic nature of both franchises over the last decade. They're more concerned with selling toys to kids.

Then why do Sentai toys keep getting shittier instead of better

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sentai has definitely taken a turn for the softer, but Japan in general has done that, media wise.

I've brought this up a few times, but kids shows nowadays are more kid friendly than they were even ten years back.

Go back, say, 20 years and it's an entirely different environment.

Go FURTHER back, and man. Changeman straight up has, drawn, nudity in almost every episode that would not fly today in Japan, and Jetman in general could not be made today.

It started to shift around Gaoranger, but it was gradual. Go-Buster, thank you mateo was a brief resurgence of the mid 90s style, but even it was loaded down with silliness and absurdity, like Red being terrified of chickens and the like.

Build has a story that would fit in extremely well with the early Heisei Riders, only the toy aspects of the show and the at times forced comedy veer it away from them in a potentially harmful way. It's not like Den-O, where it was meant to be an absurd comedy from frame one, Build quite clearly wants to be taken seriously

Just the sheer act of transforming for Build is ridiculous in a very distracting way, and that's also how he uses his powers. It's a more extreme case of what happened with Gaim, where the REAL story is very serious and down to business once you get it, but the imagery and everything surrounding it is ridiculous in a way that the older shows wasn't as much. With Gaim, it was more subdued. The toy gimmick was fairly non intrusive while the suits were the silly looking thing. With Build, it's the opposite. The suits are fine, the gimmicks are intrusive.

It's not like this is new for Rider OR Sentai either.

Sentai has always been aimed at a much younger crowd, and only shifted to a more general audience angle with Bioman in 84. Then we had a period in the 80s after that basically would slot in where Kamen Rider is now, on the whole mostly serious with some ridiculous aspects, just without the toys taking as much of a spot light.

Before Bioman, every Sentai used sports equipment or some kind of athletic Thing, like rhythmic gymnastics, to defeat their enemies. That was discarded with Bioman in favor of just finishing moves and giant gently caress off cannons.

For Kamen Rider silliness, Super-1 has possibly some of the silliest monster designs in history. A literal bar of soap monster, a basketball monster, a can of air spray monster

An Umbrella Monster. A big difference here is, those silly things were treated deadly seriously. They were not gag monsters- they were things that had to be fought like any other monster of the week.

Sentai, as a whole, is just safer. This doesn't mean its worse, just that it loses that periphery audience it enjoyed.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 11, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SpazmasterX posted:

Then why do Sentai toys keep getting shittier instead of better

simpler more colorful toys that don't have complicated combinations for younger kids who like such things

see zyuohger. literally animal blocks.
you stack them and the robot is basically a drawing on one side. uncomplicated and colorful.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let's not kid ourselves that old sentai toys were particularly complex. I mean, the pteranodon from MMPR/Zyuranger isn't exactly what I'd call a complex design.

It's more that budgets have been affected by the rising cost of materials and some aspects of design, like diecast, have become more associated with collector lines.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm referring to the point where you used "stunted child". It sounds more like you meant a childlike sense of being able to believe anything, but the words you used have very different connotations and that's what I was reacting to.

Oh my god

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what? I admitted that he probably meant something other than what he said. I'm explaining why I read it the way I did. Because doing that on purpose legitimately isn't cool at all.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I watched most of Amazons in the past couple days. After really enjoying the first season it's astounding how much s2 has done to step on any good will I had for the series. Anything involving Chihiro or Iyu sucks. I think I am supposed to care about them but I'm mostly rooting for them to leave.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I watched most of Amazons in the past couple days. After really enjoying the first season it's astounding how much s2 has done to step on any good will I had for the series. Anything involving Chihiro or Iyu sucks. I think I am supposed to care about them but I'm mostly rooting for them to leave.

How far in are you?

Because that's largely intentional until you learn what's up with Chihiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Episode after he slaughtered a ton of folks including Kanou, who was one of my favorites

If this is the point where he starts to become bearable idk if the half season beforehand was worth it