Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This is probably a real strange question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I really only collect Omnibus/Absolute editions (I read fast and like to get as much of the whole story in one volume as possible). They're unwieldy and difficult to read. I like to read on my couch or in my bed.

Can anyone recommend a bed table or something similar to keep the book propped up while I'm reading it? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXZSY6P

I can't be the only one who has this problem but google is no help. Any help is appreciated fellow nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading Jack Kirby's Eternals. There is a lot of exposition.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

TenCentFang posted:

I'm reading Jack Kirby's Eternals. There is a lot of exposition.

I grabbed the first issue on that as one of those $1 marvel reprints. I'ma have to read that. I love Chariots of the Gods stuff and it's not even subtle about being inspired by that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/BrianSchirmer/status/906631245815095296

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope under the helmet he's wearing a "Dash" Dashell, boy movie director, mask.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

beergod posted:

This is probably a real strange question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I really only collect Omnibus/Absolute editions (I read fast and like to get as much of the whole story in one volume as possible). They're unwieldy and difficult to read. I like to read on my couch or in my bed.

Can anyone recommend a bed table or something similar to keep the book propped up while I'm reading it? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXZSY6P

I can't be the only one who has this problem but google is no help. Any help is appreciated fellow nerds.

That'd be a nice way to read big-rear end comic volumes...I usually read lying down on a bed, since trying to read a 1000 page Omnibus upright at a normal table is pretty difficult.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ok I smoke a lot of crack so I need you guys to confirm this: Ennis wrote an issue (presumably part of a mini) for DC about Dick Dasterdly and Muttley? This is just one of the weird things I like to confirm before accepting as fact.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Ok I smoke a lot of crack so I need you guys to confirm this: Ennis wrote an issue (presumably part of a mini) for DC about Dick Dasterdly and Muttley? This is just one of the weird things I like to confirm before accepting as fact.

It's real, and it's pretty weird. I like what I've read of the Flintstones comic DC did last year, and I'm looking forward to the Jetsons comic, so I'm glad DC decided to cash in on cartoon nostalgia like IDW. Only fair since IDW has the new Vertigo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The preview of the Jetsons book they put out was everything I needed to not buy it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I heard good things about the initial batch of issues Slott had on Silver Surfer, is it still running strong?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Slott's Silver Surfer was straight-up Doctor Who fanfiction. It was embarrassing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who cares? It's loving Silver Surfer.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like good characters in books with good writing. Although Mike Allred was on art, and that made it a lot more digestible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I heard good things about the initial batch of issues Slott had on Silver Surfer, is it still running strong?

It-

TenCentFang posted:

Slott's Silver Surfer was straight-up Doctor Who fanfiction. It was embarrassing.

Yeah.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

TenCentFang posted:

I don't see a problem with this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As a dissenting opinion i love Silver Surfer, it's great. But i guess you have to like wonderfully drawn love stories :shrug:

I've also never seen an ep of dr who, so...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I read the first trade of Slott's Silver Surfer and thought it had multiple laugh out loud moments, which is good enough for me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Slott and Allred on Surfer is pretty drat fun. It's weird, funny, and heart felt. It's not must read comics, but it feels like an old Saturday morning cartoon.

Though, I'd say that if you just want a taste, read the summaries, and pick one that sounds fun. There's plenty of fun one, two, or three issue stories that you don't need to feel like you're missing anything.

Check out the Möbius Strip issue, the Last Days issues, or the ones with Galactus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read the first volume of his Silver Surfer on MU after hearing pretty much nothing but good things about it. It's not my preferred version of Silver Surfer as it's kind of a wacky love story, but it's a really good wacky love story. I plan on reading the rest at some point down the road. I've also never seen Dr. Who but I can't imagine how this book isn't better than that because that looks like complete trash.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Well, poo poo. Len Wein died.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aw, that's sad news. Very prolific guy who created a lot of great characters and a lot of cool stories. :smith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's impossible to overstate how important Len Wein was to comics as we know them, even beyond being the guy who co-creater Wolverine and the rest of the Giant Size X-Men.

Dude gave X-Men to Chris Claremont, personally hired Alan Moore onto swamp thing, and scouted Dave Gibbons from the British indie scene.

The guy had an amazing eye for talent.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a drag. Hopefully the flood of honors and tributes will be comforting to the family.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e:nm didnt look up

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Well, poo poo. Len Wein died.

:(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't it Wein who would ride his bike with Marv Wolfman to Jack Kirby's house as teenagers, and Roz would give them cookies, and let them watch Jack work?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

2017 is the year both Swamp Thing creators died :smith:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

The only Swamp Thing I've read was Alan Moore's--is the original stuff worth reading?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Strange Aeon posted:

The only Swamp Thing I've read was Alan Moore's--is the original stuff worth reading?

Yes, the issues that Wein wrote and Bernie Wrightson drew are classic, some of the best comics DC put out in the Bronze Age. That's the first ten of the original Swamp Thing series. 11 to 13 have Wein still writing but Nestor Redondo drawing, he's great but no Wrightson. He stays on but the writers switch between David Michelinie and Gerry Conway until the end, issue 24. There's a couple of collections that have the Wrightson issues, and I think you can get them digitally.

The tone is a bit different, but you'll be able to see the origins of many things that informed and influenced the Moore/Bissette comics. You remember how angry and confused Swamp Thing was at the beginning of the series before he learned the truth about himself and acccepted it? That's how he is here. Abby is more of a damsel in distress, Matt Cable has his poo poo together, Anton Arcane is the shitbag we all know, etc.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The first issue of Swamp Thing features a dog that's secretly a spy.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
My favorite-ever experience at a convention was a conversation with Len Wein. We talked for a long time about his good friend Steve Gerber and being a part of the Bronze Age. He was courteous and generous in a way that I feel like I don't see very often even with my good friends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like this dude was pretty influential RIP

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Lightning Lord posted:

This is legit making me sad.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Scaramouche posted:

It was real. It's about two US air force pilots (even though Garth Ennis clearly writes Sick Dastardly as a British RAF pilot.) under orders to track and shoot down an unmanned drone.

The drone is War Pig One.

I liked that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's not must read comics

I think it is. Was. In another issue it's over and Marvel's line-up will sure be poorer for losing it.
Three years isn't a bad run though, considering all of the other comics that got the chop in it's time. It'll make a nice complete omnibus for everyone dissuaded by a couple of dumb opinions to kick themselves for missing.

edit:
Punisher/Sheriff of Babylon/Mister Miracle artist Mitch Gerads' new baby's name :rolleyes:
https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/907640493802119168

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 12, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's almost as bad as my nephew's name, Boltagon Maximoff Peterson.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's way better than it could be, like the Lady Rainicorn kid Ryno's talked about. A lot of names are biblical, and I don't see the problem with naming kids after modern mythology as long as it's not super out of the norm.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

West is a lovely first name, though.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh, it sounds fine to me, and West Allen flows well, although it does make one wonder why they didn't go with Allen West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TenCentFang posted:

Eh, it sounds fine to me, and West Allen flows well, although it does make one wonder why they didn't go with Allen West.
Maybe he didn't want people to think he named his kid after Allen "Literal War Criminal, Tea Party Candidate, and Fox News pundit" West.

Or based on the Edmondson/Gerads Punisher run, maybe he did and his wife vetoed it.

• Locked thread