Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Don Dongington posted:

Wifey and I went looking at display homes today to get some inspiration, and one of the first places we walked into had this in the front room:

If you want industrial lights, you can't go past Tekio tube lights.

They look like hvac ducting mixed with Japanese paper lanterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Government debt higher
Household debt higher
Wage growth lower
Underemployment higher
Electricity costs higher

The australian public's verdict: The coalition are better economic managers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Meanwhile at a south Brisbane train station:

A 72-year-old man has been shot in the shoulder by a police officer after he allegedly came at officers with knives.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Government debt higher
Household debt higher
Wage growth lower
Underemployment higher
Electricity costs higher

RIGHT on time

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Democracy is a farce

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Voters like Malcolm Turnbull
Voters like Scott Morrison
Voters dislike the rest of the LNP.

Voters dislike Bill Shorten
Voters dislike Chris Bowen
Voters like the rest of the ALP

One of these is is an election winner.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Survey says: Australians are idiots

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Wifey and I went looking at display homes today to get some inspiration, and one of the first places we walked into had this in the front room:

The rest of the house wasn't much better.

Awful execution but I've seen something similar using PVC piping and copper spraypaint to make a wall planter instead that didn't look too bad?

[img] https://imgur.com/gallery/Swai1[/img]

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The photos aren't mine, it's the photobro who usually documents every rally

So yesterday we had probably the largest rally in Brisbane in recent times (which is pretty amazing since the Invasion Day march was also pretty large). Media reports put the crowd at about 7000, but I'd have said it was probably about 4-5k people (i could be wrong, I was in the crowd). Anyway overall it was a really positive day, I was able to support my LGBTQIA friends and community, and mercifully few photographs of me so my professional reputation doesn't get wrecked.

I arrived from the wrong angle because I went to GyG before the rally, so I must've juuuuuuusssssssst beat the counter-protesters to where they ended up being shunted to (as the rally was orientated, they were in the top-left hand corner). I gotta give these guys some credit, if the tables were turned and I was counter-protesting a rally this large, I'd probably have given up and slinked away because it was so large (for reference, I was part of a counter-protest to the "march against abortion" earlier in the year).

The counter-protesters

There were exactly 10 of them in that group, with one guy in a suit holding a placard earlier being chased off. I don't recognise any of them, but I'm assuming their part of some evangelical church/sect thing, they even had really pro-printed banners so theres an unusual amount of funding going into them. I'm not sure if it's some bizarro evangelical thing, but you can see a couple guys wearing microphones. I'd be interested to know why (recording their sermons on the fly? Recording voices of people who shout at them?).

This guy was doing this when I went to check out the counter-protesters. Both him and the other guy were ranting and raving fairly incoherently, so that was pretty interesting. Poor guy can't even grow a beard.

I'm not super sure what happened, but when the march ended and the rally started to disperse, a couple of counter-protesters were on the corner where the Irish pub was, and ended up drawing a little bit of a crowd. I was there and some people were getting pretty aggro, so I stayed near it in case it got bad. I'm not sure whether this is before or after this, but I did see them get hauled off by the cops at the end, so thats pretty hilarious.

Imagine being so poo poo that the :siren:QLD Police:siren: wheel you away.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Government debt higher
Household debt higher
Wage growth lower
Underemployment higher
Electricity costs higher

Just imagine how bad it would be if labor was in charge!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
In my experience in Perth at least, the media almost always understate the size of a protest rally (if it covers it at all). Perhaps because it's a popular issue that the media by and large supports, rather than anti-war or anti-liberal policy that they're choosing not to do this.

Probably same deal with the cops. 'Well you're not directly protesting against the government or racism, so we won't club your faces in today, and hell we'll even get rid of these weirdos for you'.

Edit: remember when we were the third healthiest economy in the world thanks to Labor's Wayne Swann that was nice wasn't it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cops not cracking heads weakens protests. If they do that people feel sympathy for the protesters.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

open24hours posted:

Cops not cracking heads weakens protests. If they do that people feel sympathy for the protesters.

Guess someone should have told Colin Barnett then, because he cracked heads, peppersprayed seniors, and then proceeded to lose by a landslide, while the Labor govt cancelled the project being protested.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

open24hours posted:

Na mate the protesters deserved it for making it slightly harder for me to get a coffee on the way to work.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Don Dongington posted:

Guess someone should have told Colin Barnett then, because he cracked heads, peppersprayed seniors, and then proceeded to lose by a landslide, while the Labor govt cancelled the project being protested.

If he'd just ignored them maybe he would have won another term.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

In my experience in Perth at least, the media almost always understate the size of a protest rally (if it covers it at all). Perhaps because it's a popular issue that the media by and large supports, rather than anti-war or anti-liberal policy that they're choosing not to do this.

Probably same deal with the cops. 'Well you're not directly protesting against the government or racism, so we won't club your faces in today, and hell we'll even get rid of these weirdos for you'.

Edit: remember when we were the third healthiest economy in the world thanks to Labor's Wayne Swann that was nice wasn't it.

It's a really good point, the media don't often get the size of a rally right. The invasion day one earlier this year was weird because it was about 2k people but had about 5x the police presence. Yesterday's rally was pretty light by comparison, beside the SERT guys being near the counter-protesters.

open24hours posted:

you are a loving idiot

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Periphery posted:

Na mate the protesters deserved it for making it slightly harder for me to get a coffee on the way to work.

Or, during the Roe 8 campaign:

"Nar imo bash their heads in and throw them in jail. My rationalisation for this brutality is that they might be unemployed".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

It's a really good point, the media don't often get the size of a rally right. The invasion day one earlier this year was weird because it was about 2k people but had about 5x the police presence.

Hmmm, I wonder why Queensland Police would turn up in numbers to an indigenous rights protest...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Declining numbers increasing deaths and injuries. Can we continue to subsidise these lifestyle choices?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/major-injuries-to-cyclists-continue-to-rise-in-victoria/8886098

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/why-are-more-cyclists-suffering-serious-injuries-on-the-road/8886930

Shoots, rooters and tooters respecting our environment:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/anger-over-more-damage-at-arthur-pieman-conservation-area/8890194

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With the postal survey how do they stop fraud from people requesting replacement ballots?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"I just don't want people standing on the corner yelling at me, telling me if I don't agree with them then I'm somehow less than human," he said.

:ironicat:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Senor Tron posted:

With the postal survey how do they stop fraud from people requesting replacement ballots?

I think they said the ballots would have codes on them so they're unique? Presumably if they receive multiple of the same they'll ignore them?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Re: Fair Work Commission terminating enterprise bargaining agreements.

I heard Andrew Wilkie speaking to a private members bill to amend the Fair Work Commission act to remove the power of the FWC to terminate an existing expired EBA if it will result in any worker covered by it receiving reduced pay or benefits. Also retrospectively reinstating any agreements terminated since 2015 that have resulted in this.

I have had a google but haven't been able to find any coverage of this.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Ahead of a much telegraphed meeting in Canberra on Monday between the Turnbull government and the head of AGL, Andy Vesey, about extending the operating life of the Liddell power station, the Nationals MP Andrew Broad told Guardian Australia he believed the ageing New South Wales plant was “about stuffed”.

Broad is the chairman of parliament’s multi-partisan standing committee on environment and energy, and that committee has been pursuing an extensive inquiry into modernising Australia’s electricity grid, which will report soon.

"About stuffed": our entire energy debate.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

I heard Andrew Wilkie speaking to a private members bill to amend the Fair Work Commission act to remove the power of the FWC to terminate an existing expired EBA if it will result in any worker covered by it receiving reduced pay or benefits. Also retrospectively reinstating any agreements terminated since 2015 that have resulted in this.

According to Campus Morning Mail, Brendon O'Connor has announced that this is now formally ALP policy too.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

The counter-protesters

There were exactly 10 of them in that group, with one guy in a suit holding a placard earlier being chased off. I don't recognise any of them, but I'm assuming their part of some evangelical church/sect thing, they even had really pro-printed banners so theres an unusual amount of funding going into them. I'm not sure if it's some bizarro evangelical thing, but you can see a couple guys wearing microphones. I'd be interested to know why (recording their sermons on the fly? Recording voices of people who shout at them?).

Fun fact: dude in the suit with the sign and the guy with the goatee and the bible were at the Canberra Rally last weekend. Must be being flown around Australia to counter-protest.

I didn't see any counterprotesters at the Sydney rally yesterday, but I was too busy dancing to take any notice.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Wilkie is generally very good on IR stuff. There's some weird thing that happens with a significant number of long term army guys where they envy union coverage. I've had a lot of good union delegates that were former army dudes and they really get into it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Don Dongington posted:

According to Campus Morning Mail, Brendon O'Connor has announced that this is now formally ALP policy too.

Now if they would end casual employment they might be starting to move towards a decent platform.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

Wilkie is generally very good on IR stuff. There's some weird thing that happens with a significant number of long term army guys where they envy union coverage. I've had a lot of good union delegates that were former army dudes and they really get into it.

They were just talking about this in the DSA thread. Someone speculated it's because your time in the army is filled with doing poo poo you hate, for people you don't like, because it makes your life easier down the road.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Must be nice to finally be able to tell your boss to go and get hosed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

Must be nice to finally be able to tell your boss to go and get hosed.

I think they meant more doing stuff they hated for other grunts, because they'd do stuff for you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think they meant more doing stuff they hated for other grunts, because they'd do stuff for you.

Ah yeah of course, that's not too different to being at work though. I assume that having the industrial rights to back chat your superiors would be a refreshing change.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

DancingShade posted:

I also hate cool looking art.

I also want to live in the Eraserhead universe

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Recoome posted:

The counter-protesters

What horrible peopl- ooooo look at that officer's arms. :allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Kafka Syrup posted:

Fun fact: dude in the suit with the sign and the guy with the goatee and the bible were at the Canberra Rally last weekend. Must be being flown around Australia to counter-protest.

I didn't see any counterprotesters at the Sydney rally yesterday, but I was too busy dancing to take any notice.

hahahah holy poo poo you are completely correct! You can see here that the guy in the coat is holding one of those dumb banners. Here's another video. So turns out that the counter-protesters at the Brisbane rally aren't probably native to Brisbane (maybe? The guy sounds like he's from the USA).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If I'd have to say, it's probably peeps from "Operation 513" because they pull this street evangelism crap and I've actually seen them with the same mic set up as those dudes

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'd vote for Angela White :quagmire:

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 11, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:staredog:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/907040869919875072

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"all countries in our region"

No longer a western country. Can we have Chinese communism while ur at it Canavan you loving sack of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Canavan should grow a loving spine and resign because he knows he wasn't loving eligible and lied about "oh it was my mothers fault", useless sack of crap.

Same with Joyce, both of them whining on about how "weak" other people are when they're spineless, gormless turds with no principles.

• Locked thread