Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Oh! I know how you solve this one: You ask the truth-telling knight, "If I were to ask you who the evil person on this trip is, which person would you say?"

e: Be sure to read over the update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There is a way to make this super obvious, but i believe the only way to see it would be to have enough money to buy the ticket, but not enough to pay the 1 gold for the inn room. Perhaps if you start with this book then that might be an issue since there's not a ton of opportunities to get gold in this so far.

For my vote, lets attack Parsion

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sword Parsion

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I wonder which one of these people could be the evil guy.

Parsion

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Parsion cause snake tatoo.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Avenger can take out Halvorc. Link, you get Ganon. Parsion is the one I'll attack!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Viveka, because looks the least like an evil assassin and is therefore the most likely suspect.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Parsion, not because he looks evil but because he's posing as a Sommerlander traveling like we are but claims ignorance of the war

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Avalerion posted:

I always thought this was a neat like meta-clue. I can't recall another like it in the series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Since there were no relevant votes I'm assuming Healing for the first meal and no eating the laumspur.

Avalerion posted:

You know, I've never noticed that before. Neat.

Fire on the Water posted:

The priest does not seem to be surprised by your attack, and he draws a black sword from beneath his robes.

Priest: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 23

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 26
Priest: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 23
Combat Ratio: 1

We've still not got a weapon, but thanks to Mindblast and our shield we have the advantage anyway.

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 26
Priest: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 11

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 24
Priest: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 20
Priest: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 0

Searching the body, you discover all you need to prove that he was the assassin. Inside his pockets, you find a half-empty vial of gnadurn sap, the deadly poison that was used to taint your food. Then there is a scroll written in Giak, giving details of your expected arrival in Port Bax. He must have located you at Ragadorn and hatched his murder plans there. You notice that the weapon he carries is a Darklord blade, fashioned of black steel and forged in the furnaces of Helgedad, the infernal city of the Darklords beyond the Durncrag Range. Only there in all of vast Magnamund can black steel be made. But the final proof of his true identity is the serpent tattoo on his left wrist. The harbour thugs who attempted to kill you before you had even left Holmgard bore exactly the same mark.

His purse contains 23 Gold Crowns which you may keep.

Healing: +1 EP (21).

The other travellers stare with horror and disbelief at what you have done. Before you can explain yourself, there is a loud crash as the front door is thrown open. In rush six armoured soldiers led by the innkeeper. They are the town guard, and the one-eyed innkeeper is screaming at them to arrest you.

Healing: +1 EP (22).
For some reason we're not given the option to take the sword - maybe because it's imbued with evil or something? But we will take the money (bringing us up to 41 Gold Crowns). But the question now is, do we fight these six guards or make a run for it? And if we fight, should we eat our laumspur first? (We can also eat it if we choose to run, or at any other time)

From a practical perspective there are reasons to choose not to fight Parsion. Halvorc is by far the easiest fight, so you can pick him if you're already injured or your combat skill is especially low. Killing him also gains you a dagger, but very little money. Viveka is much tougher than Parsion but killing her gets you two weapons and a lot of money. Ganon and Dorier are the worst choice because they fight together (making them the toughest enemy) and killing them gets you absolutely nothing.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 10, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Run, those guards are just trying to do their job.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Tiggum posted:

You may have made the connection, but in case you didn't (and for those who may not have):

Earlier in this book posted:

The sailor who claimed to be First Mate Ronan seems to have escaped during the fight. You quickly search the bodies of the harbour thugs, but find nothing of value. However, you do notice that each of them has a tattoo of a serpent on their left wrist. Whoever sent them to kill you must already know of the importance of your quest.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That tattoo is probably the biggest clue to the culprit, although the other was picked up on by UnwiseTrout - he seems to not know about the war going on but ought to as a Sommlending. Possibly it's also curious that he traveled 'by coach' if he went all the way, given that the enemy had the city surrounded by land.

He's the second-most suspicious passenger on the coach — the first being the 'simple peasant' who carries weapons and a fancy cloak and tosses gold crowns around like itikar droppings.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kangra posted:

That tattoo is probably the biggest clue to the culprit, although the other was picked up on by UnwiseTrout - he seems to not know about the war going on but ought to as a Sommlending. Possibly it's also curious that he traveled 'by coach' if he went all the way, given that the enemy had the city surrounded by land.

He's the second-most suspicious passenger on the coach — the first being the 'simple peasant' who carries weapons and a fancy cloak and tosses gold crowns around like itikar droppings.

We aren't carrying a weapon, we still haven't got another after the ship. Also to date we've spent a total of 23 gold on this trip, 3 of which has in the presence of other people. Perhaps that's been a lot, but we haven't gone out of the way to spend anything.

I actually remember this entire section from the original Lone Wolf LP that was done nearly a decade ago.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I like how we had time to loot him and count his money but couldn't be bothered to explain why we appeared to just murder a guy for no reason.

Run away.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I like how we had time to loot him and count his money but couldn't be bothered to explain why we appeared to just murder a guy for no reason.

Run away.

It's a very specific amount of time we had.

And I agree, run.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

My first time through this i did in fact murder the merchant, i figured only sombody with connections could possibly afford such rare and powerful poison. :v:

Now why nobody is willing to listen to you and look at the note, and why the Knights of the White Mountain aren't willing to stick up for you at this point? Who knows. But let's Run because these guards are probably the second hardest fight in the book and it's a nice little escape sequence that we have here.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I mean a lot of this is on Lone Wolf because he decided to use the Kai Discipline of Looting before explaining himself but the book does say you didn't have time to explain before the guards burst in.

Run!

e. On another note, how would you even go about explaining these things to the common folk? The two Knights of the White Mountain might believe you on the note in Giak, the snake tattoo, and the sword, but good luck explaining these things to the other two passengers (and the guards) who have likely never seen Giak, a Darklord-brand sword, the tattoo, or the poison in their lives.

Materant fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 11, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

And here I was sure you had flipped that image, because I'm fairly certain the last time I saw it it was the other way around and the snake was on the wrong wrist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

You may have made the connection, but in case you didn't (and for those who may not have):
The connection to the harbour thugs is spelled out in the text. It's just the serpent tattoo being in the illustration I hadn't noticed.

Kangra posted:

The war was very sudden. If he left before it started he might not know. You could say he should recognise a Kai Lord, but on the other hand he may just be keeping quiet out of respect for you - if a Kai Lord says he's a peasant he's obviously trying to stay under the radar so don't call attention to him. The same applies to the knights - you'd think these renowned knights of Sommerlund's greatest ally would know all about Kai Lords.

Materant posted:

On another note, how would you even go about explaining these things to the common folk? The two Knights of the White Mountain might believe you on the note in Giak, the snake tattoo, and the sword, but good luck explaining these things to the other two passengers (and the guards) who have likely never seen Giak, a Darklord-brand sword, the tattoo, or the poison in their lives.
Well, if you've convinced the knights then their word should be enough for everyone else.

vilkacis posted:

And here I was sure you had flipped that image, because I'm fairly certain the last time I saw it it was the other way around and the snake was on the wrong wrist.
I didn't, and there's nothing about that in the Project Aon errata, but I'll have a look at my physical copy when I get home tonight just to make sure.

Anyway, time to run!

Although night has fallen, a full moon casts a bright light upon the village. Behind the tavern, you see a small wheelwright’s shop with two horses hitched to a hay-cart.

Healing: +1 EP (23).

Using your Kai Discipline of Camouflage, you can hide undetected in the hay-cart until it is safe to come out.

Healing: +1 EP (24).
We could hide in the hay-cart. We could hide in the wheelwright's. Or we could steal one of those horses and get out of town.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 11, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I want to steal a horse but I think that might be a good way to get an arrow between the shoulder blades. Hide until it's safe.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Use that Camouflage to make LW blend in with the hay because the image amuses me far more than the other options.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hide in the hay, at last camouflage will get it's time to shine.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get out of town on a stolen horse. They might have Seekers from Assassins' Creed 2 come poking the hay.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Using skills is nice and all but what we really should do here is some old school horse stealing looting.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Loot that horse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

Using skills is nice and all but what we really should do here is some old school horse stealing looting.
This is actually the most straight-forward path. The other options just lead here eventually (assuming you don't die).

You spur the horse along the twisting village street across a wooden bridge and up a steep path towards the crest of the cove. In the light of the moon, you catch a glimpse of a signpost pointing eastwards.

You ride all night without sleep. As the dawn breaks, you are greeted by a startling change of landscape. The barren Wildlands have given way to moors and waterlogged fens. And a dark shadow runs the length of the eastern horizon for as far as the eye can see. This is the Durenor Forest, the natural frontier of the mountain kingdom where it borders the untamed Wildlands. It is indeed a welcome sight.

You are no more than a day’s ride from Port Bax, but you are tired after your night ride and decide to use the Kai Discipline of Hunting to trap a wild moor-rat or marsh-bird for your breakfast. (You are leaving the Wildlands and heading into the Durenor Forest and may once again use Hunting to hunt for food.)

After an hour’s ride you come to a fork in the road. There is no signpost.

Healing: +1 EP (25/28)
Once again we must blindly choose left or right.

This is actually a pretty significant decision, believe it or not. It's been mostly fixed in the Project Aon version and shouldn't end up being a problem for us, but this decision in some of the print versions of the book could actually lead to the worst dead-man-walking scenario in the entire series. We've already seen a minor one of those play out with the coach ticket, and we're right in the middle of a second one that's pretty bad (but which we avoided triggering and I'll talk about more when we reach the other end of it), but this one takes ages to play out and gives absolutely no indication of what you should have done to avoid dying, or when. Again, I'll talk about it more when we reach the other side, but I wanted to make note of it here in case anyone was familiar with other versions of the book. For those people, don't worry too much about making the "correct" choices in this section because that issue's been taken care of.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I vote Left.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Left is only a few letters away from loot so it must be the correct path.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

vilkacis posted:

You know what, you are 100% correct. My print copy has that image the other way around.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Left.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There's only one right way to go!

Tiggum posted:

You know what, you are 100% correct. My print copy has that image the other way around.

The people at the Sommerlund Herpetological Institute must get so annoyed that everyone confuses the tattoos they get with those folks in the Sinister Serpent Assassins Guild.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Right makes might!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:goleft:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

Left is only a few letters away from loot so it must be the correct path.
You don't think the book would punish us just for choosing the wrong direction with no hints or context, do you? Oh wait, of course it would. But not in this case.

The road follows a course along a high, grassy ridge for many miles before turning northwards to the coast. You pass a village where the houses curve in a circle around a large pond of stagnant water. As you ride through, a gaggle of Szall children come running towards you, shouting and throwing stones.

You descend into the deep valley beyond and gradually the moor gives way to richer land that has been cleared and ploughed. The hillside opposite is heavily wooded. You are not far from the coast and you can see the tall cliffs with their multicoloured bands of rock jutting out into the ocean.

Then just as you are passing through a small copse, you hear desperate cries for help off to your right.

Healing: +1 EP (26/28).
Should we go try to help, or ignore them and keep riding?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

This has been a lovely trip from the beginning, why should it stop now? Go help, but it's probably a trap. :kheldragar:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Something tells me we mustn't fail to not help, or we might end up not alive later.

Help them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kangra posted:

Something tells me we mustn't fail to not help, or we might end up not alive later.

Help them.

That is dangerously close to being a spoiler, so it's a good thing you're wrong. As with the previous decision, both choices are viable in this version.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Technically we are supposed to be some kind of hero I think? Go help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Help out.