Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

1. Do you think the state of labor in the U.S. is good right now? If not, why not? If so, why so?

No. Capitalism attempts to extract the largest profit from the workers and through automation, globalization and eroding labor protections creates a large pool of reserve labor. As the pool of reserve labor increases, competition among workers is able to drive wages down in further. Since automation does not create new jobs at nearly the same rate as it destroys jobs, this pool of reserve labor grows and becomes permanent, creating an underclass that fights itself for the scraps of work that remain. This process is ongoing and will eventually result in mass unemployment and potential social collapse. Attempting to fight it by driving wages even further down or deporting portions of the labor force that already work below the legal minimum wage will not actually fix this problem.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

2. Do you think the U.S. is ably sustaining its current population and would be able to sustain that population without relying heavily on imported goods?

Yes. If labor were protected, corporations were properly taxed, the military did not consumer 7% of GDP and basic services like health care, food and power generation were nationalized, it would be possible to sustain the current population quite comfortably.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

3. Do you think, overall, domestically, the United States is in a good place and it would be able to ethically and hospitably welcome refugees and immigrants? Perhaps more simply, what immigration policy do you WANT to see enacted, and how do you envision it working?

The US, which discards roughly 50% of all food produced, could accommodate far more refugees if it would solve 2. above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

To wit, a lot of these immigrants are fleeing conditions that U.S. foreign policy helped create. Ending the War on Drugs , for example, would be a huge improvement for quality of life in Mexico, in my opinion.

Actually, I have another broad question to ask: do you think that it was good and right that undocumented workers were employed in apparently large numbers by hotels, restaurants and especially California farms to work long hours for less pay than a legal citizen would be, by law, expected to earn? If not, how would you have preferred to see this problem addressed?

You know that DACA specifically fought that condition, right?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Reddit is a breeding ground for monsters.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is this just how you think?

No

quote:

That anyone who disagrees with you must secretly be a racist
No, you, personally are a racist because you're defending racist policies

quote:

Can you offer anything besides ad hominem attacks?

gently caress you, stop posting

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

Awesome. So when we get rid of all the immigrants and nothing gets any better, everyone will welcome them back with open arms.

Do you really expect anyone to believe this horseshit or are you just flailing at this point?

As I stated, immigration reform isn't really where I think we need to start if we're going to address the issue of a police state; I'd also point out that the American left has been atrocious when it comes to dealing with immigration problems, even though they claim to be the pro-immigrant party. I've asked multiple times for people ITT who are outraged that I don't prioritize the issue to offer solutions, and I'm genuinely still waiting. I don't think immigration is even our top problem domestically, and I'd frankly have just let the issue persist as it was until other, more pressing matters -- like mass incarceration -- were dealt with first.

Again, while you're all trying to somehow prove I'm racist or whatever, it'd be nice if you'd offer actual points for discussion. Trump's policy calls for deportations, which is bad; what could or should have Trump done? What policy would you prefer seeing? I'm going to take the comment about opening borders and having an orgy as something tongue-in-cheek, but maybe you'd like to make the case for why open borders wouldn't be a complete disaster?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm so libertarian I've ascended to a higher level of government planning and libertarians without the full DLC package can't handle it.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

As I stated, immigration reform isn't really where I think we need to start if we're going to address the issue of a police state; I'd also point out that the American left has been atrocious when it comes to dealing with immigration problems, even though they claim to be the pro-immigrant party. I've asked multiple times for people ITT who are outraged that I don't prioritize the issue to offer solutions, and I'm genuinely still waiting. I don't think immigration is even our top problem domestically, and I'd frankly have just let the issue persist as it was until other, more pressing matters -- like mass incarceration -- were dealt with first.

Again, while you're all trying to somehow prove I'm racist or whatever, it'd be nice if you'd offer actual points for discussion. Trump's policy calls for deportations, which is bad; what could or should have Trump done? What policy would you prefer seeing? I'm going to take the comment about opening borders and having an orgy as something tongue-in-cheek, but maybe you'd like to make the case for why open borders wouldn't be a complete disaster?

What, other than attention do you require? This is tedious, people wanna talk about not you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Yes. If labor were protected, corporations were properly taxed, the military did not consumer 7% of GDP and basic services like health care, food and power generation were nationalized, it would be possible to sustain the current population quite comfortably.

Military spending is atrocious, I agree; but how do you protect labor while also "properly" tax corporations? Are you asking for higher or lower corporate taxes? Bear in mind, corporations claim that they go elsewhere and create jobs in other places because they offer better tax rates than the U.S. does; I'd say it's also because they aren't obligated to follow U.S. labor laws there. What could possibly entice them to return, knowing they'd have to pay more money to do so?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I'm not racist or whatever you guys but let me tell you how to clean house of our immigrant problem ha ha ha now don't try to prove I'm racist I'm just getting these people out while we make America a land for them ha ha ha

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump should have shot Pence, appointed Pelosi as Veep, and thrown himself from Trump Tower.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Military spending is atrocious, I agree; but how do you protect labor while also "properly" tax corporations? Are you asking for higher or lower corporate taxes? Bear in mind, corporations claim that they go elsewhere and create jobs in other places because they offer better tax rates than the U.S. does; I'd say it's also because they aren't obligated to follow U.S. labor laws there. What could possibly entice them to return, knowing they'd have to pay more money to do so?

The answer requires you to have a working brain rather than a lump of walnuts in your skull to understand.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not a racist, I just cannot imagine anything trump could have done instead of calling for the deportation of 800,000 people who have committed no crime of any kind whatsoever, who all just happen to be a different color than me, which would have a devastating effect on both our economy and our communities, and would also cost an enormous amount of taxpayer money. I simply cannot imagine any alternative to this. I'm not racist though. Nope, not racist at all. No sir

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Open borders is actually good but triggering for white people.

Ironically opening them up would actually cause a lot of migration south again, since people who used to make seasonal trips for work now stay and pop out deadly brown anchor babies instead of leaving for their home country of Mexico and returning the next season.

The worst conceit of white Americans is the idea that this country is the best in the world and everyone is here for freedom etc. Newsflash: most of us are here to make money and the older generations detest American culture for the most part.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KickerOfMice posted:

What, other than attention do you require? This is tedious, people wanna talk about not you.

My initial goal was to make the case that hyperbolic criticism of Trump and the dehumanization of his supporters weakened any message opposing him. It seems to me, and still so, that a lot of those who oppose Trump's policies oppose them for superficial reasons or else fail to understand why he got the support he did and was elected at all. It was my hope to suggest that by finding common solutions that could unify people, you might be able to put your political passions towards a meaningful change of course after Trump is out of the White House.

That's where this all began, with me pointing out how absurd it is that some posters here thought huge swathes of the population are literally evil. Now that we've debated immigration a spell, I'd say it's kind of ironic that you're so adamantly in favor of protecting immigrants from being blamed for the nation's problems, yet a lot of you are just shifting that blame onto other perceived unwanted demographics. Don't you think that sort of misses the point?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

oh, word?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My initial goal was to make the case that hyperbolic criticism of Trump and the dehumanization of his supporters weakened any message opposing him. It seems to me, and still so, that a lot of those who oppose Trump's policies oppose them for superficial reasons or else fail to understand why he got the support he did and was elected at all. It was my hope to suggest that by finding common solutions that could unify people, you might be able to put your political passions towards a meaningful change of course after Trump is out of the White House.

That's where this all began, with me pointing out how absurd it is that some posters here thought huge swathes of the population are literally evil. Now that we've debated immigration a spell, I'd say it's kind of ironic that you're so adamantly in favor of protecting immigrants from being blamed for the nation's problems, yet a lot of you are just shifting that blame onto other perceived unwanted demographics. Don't you think that sort of misses the point?

now tell us how racist or cac is the worst slur and I've got bingo

e:
:pusheen:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pee pee doo doo.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

We need to meet in the middle on whether all people are fully human, or just white people, says local video game scholar.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

too bad you're a walking example of the fact trump voters are dumb and racist

heh i'll show those dummies that not all trump voters are morons *faceplants into poo poo* so much for the tolerant left

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Pee pee doo doo.

Big league if true.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Again, while you're all trying to somehow prove I'm racist or whatever, it'd be nice if you'd offer actual points for discussion. Trump's policy calls for deportations, which is bad; what could or should have Trump done? What policy would you prefer seeing?

well i'm just spitballing here, but how about, you know, NOT deport nearly a million hardworking, non-violent, peaceful immigrant kids and instead go after the actual problematic ones?

just a thought

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its actually really amazing how every single trump supporter trying to prove they're not all terrible idiots is magically a terrible idiot

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

feel free to explain to us what's amazing about tax cuts for billionaires and cutting medicaid

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

empty whippet box posted:

I'm not a racist, I just cannot imagine anything trump could have done instead of calling for the deportation of 800,000 people who have committed no crime of any kind whatsoever, who all just happen to be a different color than me, which would have a devastating effect on both our economy and our communities, and would also cost an enormous amount of taxpayer money. I simply cannot imagine any alternative to this. I'm not racist though. Nope, not racist at all. No sir

Trump called upon Congress to correct a legally-questionable executive order enacted out of spite by a previous administration; Jeff Sessions is calling for deportation efforts, but Congress has a deadline to pass a more meaningful immigration reform. For some reason, this is a very upsetting circumstance, even though the President you hate so much literally used Twitter to demand Congress "legalize DACA". So, again, if you'd stop trying to see proof of heresy racism in everything I'm saying, we could maybe have an actual conversation.

So then, raising corporate taxes would successfully entice them to remain in country, despite the fact that even with this relatively low corporate tax rate you still see outsourcing going on at increasing volumes?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

8 bit scholar rn:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

guys im just asking questions here and im going to keep asking questions until you ignore me and then say that that proves im smart :smugdog:

that'll show that heckler i cant believe she exposed me like that i hate her so much how could she not see i'm a brilliant little boy mommy said so

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

evilweasel posted:

its actually really amazing how every single trump supporter trying to prove they're not all terrible idiots is magically a terrible idiot

It's also almost magical how every person who strongly supports Trump and his policies "didn't vote for him, just to be clear, don't blame me."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Keebler elf, every loving one of you that is touched by Mueller leaks. Everyone leaks on down here, boy.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump called upon Congress to correct a legally-questionable executive order enacted out of spite by a previous administration; Jeff Sessions is calling for deportation efforts, but Congress has a deadline to pass a more meaningful immigration reform. For some reason, this is a very upsetting circumstance, even though the President you hate so much literally used Twitter to demand Congress "legalize DACA". So, again, if you'd stop trying to see proof of heresy racism in everything I'm saying, we could maybe have an actual conversation.

So then, raising corporate taxes would successfully entice them to remain in country, despite the fact that even with this relatively low corporate tax rate you still see outsourcing going on at increasing volumes?

No, you're defending overtly racist things. They are very obviously racist, and you know it. You're just too chickenshit to admit that your actual motivation for arguing these things is either that you're just a bad faith troll or you're a nazi sympathizer. You're falling back to arguments like 'oooooh is that all you got, calling me a RACIST :smug: ' when you are in fact being incredibly racist. gently caress you, gently caress off. I see racism in everything you're saying because everything you are saying is racist you dumb loving piece of dog poo poo

Trump tweeting ONE SINGLE TIME about 'legalizing' daca does not undo literal months of him campaigning on deporting brown people. It doesn't undo his actions on immigration which have been devastating to immigrant communities already. gently caress you for defending it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i, the poo poo-smeared idiot, am the judge of the actual conversations we are having

because here, on the internet, people can't just ignore me, turn away, and continue talking with the people they actually want to hear while ignoring me. i'll show you all

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Outsourcing has very little to do with corporate tax rates. It's offshoring that does, but offshoring is pretty easy to deal with and would involve tearing down the golden calves you worship.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

William Contraalto posted:

Immigration policy: legislation to outlaw Republicans forever and deport them to the Moon, bottom of the sea, Mars, etc. Then we open up the borders and have a general liberal-socialist orgy.

Man, that's too expensive. Instead, I'd round them up, put them on container ships, which I would then ram into the Siberian coast of Russia. If Papa Putin wants to support them, he can do it in his own loving country.

I'd dub it the "Walk A Thousand Miles In Their Shoes: A Concrete Lesson In Empathy For Refugees and Immigrants" Act

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

there should be a word filter for "I'm not racist, but" into "I am a racist, and"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In the short term:
Lots of countries are able to negotiate (or give unions the power to negotiate) with corporations to get proper labor protections. Toys R' Us wanted to sell toys in Sweden, but didn't want their 150 workers to unionize. Then all 25, 000 retail workers went on strike in solidarity. Now Toys R' Us is unionized in Sweden (and nowhere else - http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/18/sweden-retail-unions_n_6888328.html). Sweden also negotiates down the prices of all drugs, paying roughly 50% less than the US for the same drugs. Most corporations will pay to play and the ones that don't... well, gently caress them. Most manufacturing has already been lost to automation/globalization, so that's never coming back. Given that most employment is in the service sector and that, for the foreseeable future, requires actual salespeople and store managers, corporations will bend to the rules or they won't be able to sell your citizens anything. The US has the advantage of being a huge market to sell to as well, which would give it quite a bit of leverage over corporations anyway.

In the long term:
As automation begins to eat away at all jobs, like service sector and logistics, start nationalizing and democratizing the means of production. You pretty much can't go anywhere else from here (UBI would run into the same problem of how to tax offshore firms and how to deal with tax evaders).

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

8-Bit Scholar posted:

shh, stupid

read this

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/?utm_source=atltw

never post here again, this is actually a half decent thread when racist, naive, privileged retards like you don't occasionally come along and tear their assholes making GBS threads a gigantic, dry, ancient turd in it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Manifest Dynasty posted:

It's also almost magical how every person who strongly supports Trump and his policies "didn't vote for him, just to be clear, don't blame me."

yeah it's the posting equivalent of those proud black trump supporters on twitter who agree the president definitely isn't racist but for some reason has a stock photo as their twitter photo

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

how could she not see i'm a brilliant little boy mommy said so

....wait, he's another fishmech alt?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

fishmech is way smarter than he is

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

fishmech isn't a raging bigot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If Trump actually wanted DACA he could have just not killed it. You do understand that, right?

• Locked thread