Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ian Miles "Tails" Cheong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

whos ian miles cheong he sounds like a nerd
guy who used to be a really hardcore social justice warrior type but then he read an article about there not being any black people in witcher 3 and it made him so mad he turned into a nazi

the internet is incredibly stupid

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I guess the landscape has changed in the past half decade because I'm seeing more of these:

https://twitter.com/DanNerdCubed/status/906958396242513920
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/907024827697033216

And less of....well this sort of thing:

https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/907017914083143680

"HE IS GIVING YOU FREE ADVERTISEMENT!"

Yeah but what if someone don't want racist-guy to advertise their game? Like I know if you said that even just a few years ago people would probably look at you like there was something wrong with you but now hopefully, it's not such a controversial thing to think. To think, "What if I don't want the most viewed video about my game on YouTube to be full of possibly racist and other horrible poo poo?"

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 11, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Paranoid Dude posted:

Is Destiny 2 actually any better than Destiny? All I see all over is people sucking the dick of Destiny and saying "If you liked Destiny 1, you'll love this~!" somehow without even acknowledging that Destiny 1 was frankensteined into a different game more and more with each successive DLC release. Is it actually good, or is everyone shills?

If you don't like Destiny 1 even with the fixes and changes then you're not gonna like it. Its very much "more Destiny 1" but it does look like Destiny 2 starts from where Destiny 1 ended, it doesn't repeat the same mistakes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/907017914083143680

"HE IS GIVING YOU FREE ADVERTISEMENT!"

Yeah but what if someone don't want racist-guy to advertise their game? Like I know if you said that even just a few years ago people would probably look at you like there was something wrong with you but now hopefully, it's not such a controversial thing to think.
i like that this dude is trying to seem super tough and hardcore while also sounding like he's on the verge of tears because some game devs said racism is bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Firewatch is my favorite walking sim but there's not enough fire watching

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Look people can say the N word if they want, how dare you have the loving AUDACITY to cancel somebody's youtube videos?

What a loving idiot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thank you for this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that campo santo shouldn't have the right to take down the videos (unrelated ones at that) because it'd establish the same legal precedent that the persona publishers think actually exists and were trying to hide behind with their 'don't post vids of our game' thing (it currently does not). The video where he actually says the slur should be reported and removed because there already are rules in place saying you can't do that kind of thing.

edit: And I guess their counterargument to that would be that the video represents them because it's of their game but I don't agree, pewdiepie's videos are very much more about the personality than the game as are the vast majority of non five billion subscriber let's plays (including mine!)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 11, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I agree that campo santo shouldn't have the right to take down the videos (unrelated ones at that) because it'd establish the same legal precedent that the persona publishers think actually exists (it currently does not). The video where he actually says the slur should be reported and removed because there already are rules in place saying you can't do that kind of thing.

at the same time though dont game devs have a right to decide their public image. like if someone with ten million subscribers uploaded a video of them playing super mario and then the rest of their videos were them saying that the jews did 9/11 that'd cause association

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I agree that campo santo shouldn't have the right to take down the videos (unrelated ones at that) because it'd establish the same legal precedent that the persona publishers think actually exists and were trying to hide behind with their 'don't post vids of our game' thing (it currently does not). The video where he actually says the slur should be reported and removed because there already are rules in place saying you can't do that kind of thing.

edit: And I guess their counterargument to that would be that the video represents them because it's of their game but I don't agree, pewdiepie's videos are very much more about the personality than the game as are the vast majority of non five billion subscriber let's plays (including mine!)

The legal precedent has long, long, long been established, dude. That's how copyright law works in the US right now. If you don't like it you need to lobby for reform.

Its nothing about representation. You can use clips of somebody's game without permission if its part of criticism or parody but showing unedited live footage for hours is going too far. Its the same reason why projects like Rifftrax have to sell you an MP3 you listen to along the movie, just talking over a movie isn't enough to consider it a unique work.

Its an awkward double standard (along with tons of US law) that most people don't believe exists, but that's absolutely how it works. You can get away with posting movies on youtube (obviously illegal) but if somebody notices then it'll get taken down and good luck going to court over it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

ive seen people throw about "but h3h3 won a lawsuit about fair use"

firstly that channel sux and secondly fair use does not cover saying racist poo poo and not wanting a product associated w/ someone who is damaging

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You could totally do a review of a game full of racial slurs under fair use though. Reviews are fair use. Public demonstrations of the entire game are probably not but ianal

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zaphod42 posted:

You can use clips of somebody's game without permission if its part of criticism or parody but showing unedited live footage for hours is going too far.

Are we using the same Youtube?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I dunno, are you using youtube in 2006?

We've had live youtube and youtubes longer than 15 minutes for years and years.
Pewdiepie also streams on twitch.

Not sure what your hangup is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Endorph posted:

at the same time though dont game devs have a right to decide their public image. like if someone with ten million subscribers uploaded a video of them playing super mario and then the rest of their videos were them saying that the jews did 9/11 that'd cause association

It's fair enough that they wouldn't want to be associated with noted racist pewdiepie, I can understand that, but I think it would be a very different case and they would have ground to stand on if he had actually said the stuff on a video of one of their games. At that point I think it'd be within their rights to take it down because it's their property and he violated pre-existing rules by saying slurs and poo poo. But imo the difference lies in their lack of direct involvement.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, are you using youtube in 2006?

We've had live youtube and youtubes longer than 15 minutes for years and years.
Pewdiepie also streams on twitch.

Not sure what your hangup is.

You seemed to be saying 'you can't upload hours of unedited gameplay footage', which is something I could find roughly a million of by doing a quick search.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's fair enough that they wouldn't want to be associated with noted racist pewdiepie, I can understand that, but I think it would be a very different case if he had actually said the stuff on a video of one of their games. At that point I think it'd be within their rights to take it down because it's their property and he violated pre-existing rules by saying slurs and poo poo. But imo the difference lies in their lack of direct involvement.

You could argue that he himself is tainted by his many actions and so even if he doesn't do anything in the firewatch video just having a firewatch video associates them and implies a sort of agreement or endorsement by them.

But I think its pretty clear this was punitive on the firewatch devs' part.

But I think that's okay?

That's freedom isn't it? That's America. :911: If you are willing to give up some profit in order to prevent somebody who you think is vile from making profit, that's your prerogative.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think lets plays and streams are a legal gray area that publishers are happy not to clear up because free advertising.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You seemed to be saying 'you can't upload hours of unedited gameplay footage', which is something I could find roughly a million of by doing a quick search.

Lmao are you serious? read the post again dude.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can use clips of somebody's game without permission if its part of criticism or parody but showing unedited live footage for hours is going too far.

What part of "is going too far" in the context of legality makes you think I was saying "this isn't technically possible" ????

Like, you must have read those 2 words of my post and skipped the rest of it completely.

Real hurthling! posted:

I think lets plays and streams are a legal gray area that publishers are happy not to clear up because free advertising.

Bingo.

So the double-standard lives on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

game devs have every right to take it down, but they don't ebcause it's free advertising and taking it down is negative pr. when sega got all those shining force videos taken down, none of them went back up. tehy were all just gone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

You could argue that he himself is tainted by his many actions and so even if he doesn't do anything in the firewatch video just having a firewatch video associates them and implies a sort of agreement or endorsement by them.

But I think its pretty clear this was punitive on the firewatch devs' part.

But I think that's okay?

That's freedom isn't it? That's America. :911: If you are willing to give up some profit in order to prevent somebody who you think is vile from making profit, that's your prerogative.

imo just speaking up against him is enough to confirm the opposite and the videos are months-to-years old so legally removing them is more of a sentimental victory than something that'll have an actual effect, but it's whatever. They shouldn't, but if it happens then it happens and the aforementioned gray area shifts more toward companies than the end user in the grand scheme- which is fine because it already is pretty slanted in their favor, drop in the bucket etc

They drew a butthole and balls on his dog

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you made a video rant about how much you don't like black people over a loop of the "i hate niggers" scene from die hard 2, you'd probably get a takedown too idk who cares

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

People also upload content they don't have rights for and try to protect themselves from liability by saying "No copyright infringement intended." which is, uh, not how that works.

Copyright law, especially Fair Use, is extraordinarily complicated so I wouldn't look to the average YouTube user for guidance on the rules.

e: Here's Google's official non-answer about the rules for video games on YouTube.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/138161?hl=en

"Get a license from the publisher" & "Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization"

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 11, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Endorph posted:

game devs have every right to take it down, but they don't ebcause it's free advertising and taking it down is negative pr. when sega got all those shining force videos taken down, none of them went back up. tehy were all just gone.

doingitwrong posted:

People also upload content they don't have rights for and try to protect themselves from liability by saying "No copyright infringement intended." which is, uh, not how that works.

Copyright law, especially Fair Use, is extraordinarily complicated so I wouldn't look to the average YouTube user for guidance on the rules.

Thanks for the reasonable responses instead of shouting 'read it again, loving dumbass'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7QeAwEHBmE

never forget the time the three best songs on the dkc3 ost were composed by someone who afaik has never done music on anything since

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Firewatch is my favorite walking sim but there's not enough fire watching

There's plenty of fires you could watch right now if you really want.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Thanks for the reasonable responses instead of shouting 'read it again, loving dumbass'

If you want to go down the fair use rabbit hole, there's a pretty good Internet-literate primer here
http://dlrp.berkman.harvard.edu/node/82

There's a 4-factor test and no promises about which of the factors will be seen as most important by the judges on your case.

Then if you want to go further down, you can learn about the DMCA and the ways it is stacked in favour of the complainant. My memory is that if Firewatch Dev submits a complaint, YouTube has to take it down and then PDP can file paperwork to contest the complaint. More here: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/responding-dmca-takedown-notice-targeting-your-content

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

guy who used to be a really hardcore social justice warrior type but then he read an article about there not being any black people in witcher 3 and it made him so mad he turned into a nazi

that would do it (not an expert)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a.lo posted:

that would do it (not an expert)

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

today's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJ4jOAQINo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I never said you were a loving dumbass, and that's a really awkward way of trying to strawman me so you don't look like a fool.

Like you're really gonna get upset about this rather than just saying "oops, I read it wrong" and shrugging it off?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 11, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/vanaman/status/906983575337107456

Uh-oh everybody we gotta defend Felix now game company is doing a bad thing that might affect his livelihood we gotta stand with our gaming brother.

I mean it is a blatant abuse of DMCA and YouTube's system that will only open the door for more shithead developers using it to silence criticism, target people they don't like, etc. This sort of thing isn't really excusable because Nintendo & Sega do it too, they're just as much of shitheads for doing that. As is that mentally damaged person Alex Mauer who flared up some poo poo a few weeks ago.

FauxLeather posted:

Holy poo poo Vermintide is so good. I jumped into it with some pals because we've exhausted Left 4 Dead 2, and I think it's better in some ways. The characters all hate each other, and give supporting comments with a hint of shade during intense fights :allears:

Vermintide does in fact own.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 11, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lol of you think there's some kind of dangerous precedent being set here, the only reason youtubers can do what they do is because game makers want them to do it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/ProgressBar2017/status/906614188134498307

Nice

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
yellin at trico like a demented pet owner

The Last Guardian: dog training sim of all time

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol if you think the DMCA means you can send a copyright strike for someone saying a bad word while using a copyrighted material you don't own the rights to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lol the likes/retweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

yellin at trico like a demented pet owner

The Last Guardian: dog training sim of all time

Should I get TLG? I heard it was "meh" but I really liked Shadow of the Colossus.

• Locked thread