Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Why, why oh why, am I idly coming up with lists for Primaris-only forces, because I am a fluffy tool (who actually likes Power system, because I like my 40k like I like my women - Casual and entirely unbalanced.)

Well, if i'm gonna be top of page... using the Dark Imperium plus least effort:

Raven Guard Patrol (50 Power)

HQ
Captain in Gravis Armour (7)

Elites
Culexus Assassin (5)

10 Reivers (10)
Heavy Bolt Pistols
Combat Knives

Troops
5 Intercessors (5)
5 Intercessors (5)

Fast Attack
3 Inceptors (10)

Heavy Support
5 Hellblasters (8)

Going up to 75 would be:
+5 Hellblasters (8)
+Repulsor (16)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

Why is it that offensive powers generally end up being shittier versions of smite that just have some small targeting gimmick

That's literally how Psychic powers were designed in previous editions, with "x wounds with no saves allowed" in place of Mortal Wounds.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Shockeh posted:

Why, why oh why, am I idly coming up with lists for Primaris-only forces, because I am a fluffy tool (who actually likes Power system, because I like my 40k like I like my women - Casual and entirely unbalanced.)

Well, if i'm gonna be top of page... using the Dark Imperium plus least effort:

Raven Guard Patrol (50 Power)

HQ
Captain in Gravis Armour (7)

Elites
Culexus Assassin (5)

10 Reivers (10)
Heavy Bolt Pistols
Combat Knives

Troops
5 Intercessors (5)
5 Intercessors (5)

Fast Attack
3 Inceptors (10)

Heavy Support
5 Hellblasters (8)

Going up to 75 would be:
+5 Hellblasters (8)
+Repulsor (16)

This is rad, but if you don't sock the Culexus into an Auxiliary Detachment, all your marines lose their chapter tactics. The drawback is that the assassin costs you a command point.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Also, Raven Guard love Surprise Aggressors. 6 guys shooting 72+12d6 bolter shots is comedy gold, especially when nothing can stop it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

dexefiend posted:

Also, Raven Guard love Surprise Aggressors. 6 guys shooting 72+12d6 bolter shots is comedy gold, especially when nothing can stop it.

I feel like the Raven Guard stratagem solves, like, every problem that the Primaris have. Namely, the lack of transports or long ranged toolboxes. That leaves their lack of anti vehicle as their only unaccounted for problem.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Honestly after fighting hellblasters a bunch they're pretty competent AT for fighting your average list, they shoot up my razorbacks and predators pretty good. They need to stay in cover, and aren't going to do much vs a dedicated armor list really. I think it might not be a bad idea to take a baneblade chassis or knight to back up primaris to deal with a bunch of t8 vehicles.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Finished the DI Poxwalkers. I am a slow painter and this took me forever. I am never painting a squad of 40 again.

Hail Nurgle!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just wrapped up a Badcast campaign mission. It was a tie, 2-2, but some anime got burned so even if I didn't actually win I count this as a moral victory for everyone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a drat fine shambling horde. I'm still messing about with a test model for mine, I think a judicious use of shades over white is the way forward.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Honestly after fighting hellblasters a bunch they're pretty competent AT for fighting your average list, they shoot up my razorbacks and predators pretty good. They need to stay in cover, and aren't going to do much vs a dedicated armor list really. I think it might not be a bad idea to take a baneblade chassis or knight to back up primaris to deal with a bunch of t8 vehicles.

I ran a Knight Paladin yesterday along with a mostly pure Primaris list and was really happy with the results. Lots of long range firepower and a huge distraction away from the rest of the army.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mugaaz posted:

Finished the DI Poxwalkers. I am a slow painter and this took me forever. I am never painting a squad of 40 again.

Hail Nurgle!

Good job sticking with them. I'm doing a unit of 30 gargoyles right now, and at least Poxwalkers have some differences between them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Those poxwalkers are gross. Good job.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

dexefiend posted:

That's why I have 6! :getin:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I currently have a small Admech army, although really its skitarii I guess. I've got a bunch of rangers, a bunch of vanguard, two Onagers, Cawl and a Techpriest Dominus.

My opponent has 3 obliterators that deep strike. He has less units than me, so he'll always go first. Is there a way that I can stop him killing one of my units with the Obliterators before I get to do anything?

I appreciate that I can deploy such that he can't appear turn one behind me, but he can appear in front. I appreciate that I can try to use scenery to stop it happening.

But is there anything that I don't know about in the rules, like, any kind of strategem or, I dunno, ability or anything that I can use in the 90% of games where its not possible to deploy differently, or, do I just have to hope to seize the first turn every time? (Granted I gather this rule may be subject to change, but the same question still applies). It seems that going first isn't so much a benefit as it is instrumental to winning a lot of the time?

I can see the argument for setting up the terrain such that neither army can draw line of sight to the other on the first turn, but that would seem to be advantageous for close combat armies?

I'm 100% open to the idea that it's just imbalanced, suck it up, have fun anyway. I'm not really playing 40k as my 'try to win the most' game, its all about the fluff and the kickass models, so sorry if this comes across as pissy, I don't mean it that way. I was really just wondering if I'd missed something?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Going first for least drops doesn't exist any more. If you finish deploying first you get +1 to a roll-off instead.

The way to deal with deep striking is to deploy in such a way as to make your opponent's units arrive in a suboptimal position, because they have to be more than 9" away. For AdMech, Skitarii are ok for this (because they're poo poo anyway) or more commonly Sydonian Dragoons thanks to their large footprint.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Going first for least drops doesn't exist any more. If you finish deploying first you get +1 to a roll-off instead.

The way to deal with deep striking is to deploy in such a way as to make your opponent's units arrive in a suboptimal position, because they have to be more than 9" away. For AdMech, Skitarii are ok for this (because they're poo poo anyway) or more commonly Sydonian Dragoons thanks to their large footprint.

As far as I'm aware the +1 modifier isn't official until Chapter Approved hits. It's a good change to be fair but not one that everyone will be aware of since it was just in a blog post.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

We're both wrong - according to the blog post it only applies to the new missions in Chapter Approved and doesn't change the rulebook missions. Everyone I've played has preferred the +1 so I assumed it was a thing but officially it isn't.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Corrode posted:

So, no then. Cool, cheers. I think really the only thing I can do is try and request a different scenery layout, such that there at least exists a 'suboptimal position'.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

!Klams posted:

So, no then. Cool, cheers. I think really the only thing I can do is try and request a different scenery layout, such that there at least exists a 'suboptimal position'.

What's the general way this plays out? Obliterators get 6 shots and 9 melee swings, so it seems like he'd need a great charge roll to engage in melee. Otherwise he's getting, like, a third of your unit at most.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I like the +1 to going first, but my personal opinion is that if you're going to use that rule, you should eliminate seizing the initiative, since seizing happens IMMEDIATELY after that roll. Just seems dumb to roll to go first immediately after rolling to go first. Doing both just feels redundant.

Personally, I'd rather do one of two methods. +1 to going first if you finish deploying first, but no seize the initiative, OR if you finish going first you go first, but seizing happens on a 5+.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Bee posted:

What's the general way this plays out? Obliterators get 6 shots and 9 melee swings, so it seems like he'd need a great charge roll to engage in melee. Otherwise he's getting, like, a third of your unit at most.

Well, I've currently got two units of 5 Rangers and one of 10, mostly just because I own 4 sniper rifle dudes and wanted to use them. Appreciate this is possibly a bad idea. But if he gets on a ten man squad, generally he kills 5 or 6 then morale takes care of a couple such that all I'm left with is the special weapons, which generally aren't enough on their own to deal with the obliterators.

Its mostly just because turn one half my army gets shot or smited off the board, so I try and hide them back, but then hiding them at the back leaves them vulnerable to deep strikers, it felt like maybe there was something I was missing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If someone deepstrikes a bunch of Obliterators at you them choosing to target Rangers is pretty much the best case scenario for you. The alternative is losing your Onagers which would be a much bigger deal to me personally.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So yeah, I think I have become casual. After 10 games of 8th, about half points half PL, I think I prefer PL. Long as the people you play with arnt trying to abuse it, and actually have a similar mindset of play, it just feels more laid back, not having to crunch numbers. Not having to worry about if I should or shouldn't have a power fist on a unit that may not ever hit melee, as it wastes points if they don't, and just slapping him in there really is a joy, as I like the look of the power fist model, so why wouldn't I use it.

Also playing missions on a theme like konor really was nice, even if they favor a side, I just liked a small narrative explanation of why my guys were there. Going to make a campaign of my own for our store I think, after how well Konor went over.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

!Klams posted:

Well, I've currently got two units of 5 Rangers and one of 10, mostly just because I own 4 sniper rifle dudes and wanted to use them. Appreciate this is possibly a bad idea. But if he gets on a ten man squad, generally he kills 5 or 6 then morale takes care of a couple such that all I'm left with is the special weapons, which generally aren't enough on their own to deal with the obliterators.

Its mostly just because turn one half my army gets shot or smited off the board, so I try and hide them back, but then hiding them at the back leaves them vulnerable to deep strikers, it felt like maybe there was something I was missing.

Rangers probably are the best case scenario, yeah, although them going after the 10 man unit is kind of rough. You could always try to screen them behind the two five man units, but that could be a headache to determine the LoS on. And hiding them behind the Dunecrawler might put a target on it, which as mentioned before would really suck.

I think you're weathering a rough situation best you can. The advantage of deep strike units is that you really can't prepare for them, especially for shooting based ones. In that case, it all comes to target prioritization and setting the battlefield to your advantage, and if the Obliterators are landing on rangers instead of HQs, Dunecrawlers, or objectives that's a pretty big advantage set down.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

I currently have a small Admech army, although really its skitarii I guess. I've got a bunch of rangers, a bunch of vanguard, two Onagers, Cawl and a Techpriest Dominus.

My opponent has 3 obliterators that deep strike. He has less units than me, so he'll always go first. Is there a way that I can stop him killing one of my units with the Obliterators before I get to do anything?

I appreciate that I can deploy such that he can't appear turn one behind me, but he can appear in front. I appreciate that I can try to use scenery to stop it happening.

But is there anything that I don't know about in the rules, like, any kind of strategem or, I dunno, ability or anything that I can use in the 90% of games where its not possible to deploy differently, or, do I just have to hope to seize the first turn every time? (Granted I gather this rule may be subject to change, but the same question still applies). It seems that going first isn't so much a benefit as it is instrumental to winning a lot of the time?

I can see the argument for setting up the terrain such that neither army can draw line of sight to the other on the first turn, but that would seem to be advantageous for close combat armies?

I'm 100% open to the idea that it's just imbalanced, suck it up, have fun anyway. I'm not really playing 40k as my 'try to win the most' game, its all about the fluff and the kickass models, so sorry if this comes across as pissy, I don't mean it that way. I was really just wondering if I'd missed something?

No to sound callous, but I didn't start winning until I got more stuff that wasn't Skitarii.

Skitarii are great at being sacrificial units. The way I counter poo poo in my backfield is to literally form squares. That way if anything deep strikes in, they may kill one or two units (usually of Skitarii), but the rest of my stuff will kill it (mostly Kataphron Destroyers).

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

goose willis posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even notice that

i'm shocked

shocked

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally got some pictures taken of these jerks:

And this big jerk, the Puer Malus AKA Bad Boy:

And this big, hard to photograph jerk:

E:
Here's Duncan checking my army out while I look hella bald

SRM fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 11, 2017

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That shield on the terminator captain looks great- where'd you get it from?

On a side note, no hurricane bolters on the stormraven? They're dirt cheap for like a billion shots.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

That shield on the terminator captain looks great- where'd you get it from?

On a side note, no hurricane bolters on the stormraven? They're dirt cheap for like a billion shots.

It's from the old Empire Knights kit, Rogue Trader had small shields like that on Terminator sergeants and I wanted to replicate it.

As for the bolters, I built the thing in 7th and I liked the look of it better without them on - in hindsight I shoulda built them on it but I'm not gonna take the doors off at this point.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

'Mom, Grandad got into the cooking sherry.'

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 11, 2017

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Space jerks!

Painting is awesome.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SRM and Thanqol killing it. Some tidy looking space mans. I love those blue Ad Mech.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Before I throw them up on eBay would any of you guys be interested in buying a bunch of Leman Russ tanks from me? I've got five LR Battle Tanks and two Demolishers I'd like to get rid of. They're all assembled and and a few of them are basecoated in a desert yellow. I'd also throw in the remaining sprues including Leman Russ upgrade sprues for all of them. There's a bunch of pieces missing from the sprues that I've used but there's still a ton of parts there to fill up your bits box and trick out all your tanks.

I would prefer to sell everything as one lot for $230 with free shipping. I got the whole lot + two chimeras from a goon for $300 back in like 2011 so you'd be paying about what I paid six years ago. Time flies!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Sex Cannon posted:

This is rad, but if you don't sock the Culexus into an Auxiliary Detachment, all your marines lose their chapter tactics. The drawback is that the assassin costs you a command point.

I hadn't even realised this yet; Definitely (as much as I loved the Culexus back in... lol 2nd Edition) not worth losing Chapter Tactics over. I'll swap him out.

Also - drat the competition for Elite slots is fierce, with Reivers in there now too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

It's from the old Empire Knights kit, Rogue Trader had small shields like that on Terminator sergeants and I wanted to replicate it.

As for the bolters, I built the thing in 7th and I liked the look of it better without them on - in hindsight I shoulda built them on it but I'm not gonna take the doors off at this point.

I really like your photo backdrop, where did you get it from? I've got a lovely one printed on paper but it's really fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Shockeh posted:

Also - drat the competition for Elite slots is fierce, with Reivers in there now too.

Yeah, all my cool Blood Angel specific stuff is elite, barring my 2 Baal's. I just try to fill a minimal Battalion detachment and squeeze 2 Vanguard detachments on top. (I need a second land speeder before I try to fill the fast attack detachment. I feel like regular assault marines are really only for speed bumps).