Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
M :rolldice:"Get me Bond..." :colbert: "He's where, with what?" :argh: :bang:

:swoon:

Moneypenny writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

M :rolldice:"Get me Bond..." :colbert: "He's where, with what?" :argh: :bang:

:swoon:

Moneypenny writes itself.

I think what you've written there is actually the Emojipenny movie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Egyptians were onto something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Amazon, they've also canceled The Last Tycoon. A show I never watched. Matt Bomer is going to be okay as he already has a new movie coming out.

That was the weirdest show. Lavishly dressed and shot, and the plot about the studio machinations was absolutely amazing to watch: Grammer and Bomer were absolutely dynamite playing against each other, and yet there was so, so much other bullshit going on and it dragged everything to a screeching halt. There's a reason Fitzgerald never finished that book, it was godawful.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Timby posted:

I saw that. Basically, they want to buy the franchise outright from EON and MGM so they can merchandise it, develop TV shows, etc.

Finally, the 21st century can get the James Bond Jr. reboot we truly deserve.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was just thinking last night while playing Destiny 2 that I wish I still had one of those giant stereo systems to listen to music on while I did some grinding in the game. I could use my PC to listen to music (and I do a lot of the time), but it's hooked up to the same receiver that my PS4 is, so if I'm using one, I can't use the other at the same time.

Although I don't know how popular of a problem that is to have.

It seems like a problem that is easily solved, since Bluetooth speakers are a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doesn't Spotify on the PS4 have a thing where you can listen to music and play a game at the same time? Although then you have to deal with Spotify.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just use Spotify.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

My first thought. I think they already started on season 2 so hopefully it's safe.

How much do you guys think there is "payola" in the TV critic business? It really hadn't occurred to me before, but then I noticed a metric ton of thinkpieces about how brilliant Room 104 is - and having watched it, it's occasionally great, pretty entertaining, but nowhere near what these reviewers/pundits are saying it is. And that makes me think back to Patriot "only" getting a lot of 70-80 scores, with hardly anyone championing it as being as good as it is.

I don't think it's too cynical to wonder if there's a tacit payola thing going on.

I sincerely doubt it because if nothing else it doesn't make sense to waste a bunch of time and money trying to bribe critics that most people don't really care about or read or are even aware of when it's so much easier to just pay some YouTube personality who doesn't even try and pretend to have journalistic integrity to promote your show on their YouTube channel that gets exponentially more views.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

Doesn't Spotify on the PS4 have a thing where you can listen to music and play a game at the same time? Although then you have to deal with Spotify.
gently caress, I totally forget that’s even a feature hahaha

I use Spotify for all my music too!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got any playists bredren?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

What do kids watch on Saturday mornings these days.

Minecraft LPs and video game nazis yelling about stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vanderdeath posted:

Finally, the 21st century can get the James Bond Jr. reboot we truly deserve.

I just started humming the theme song. Why can't I use those brain cells for something useful?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made a thread for Curb for the new season which starts in a few weeks/so I have somewhere to talk about it while I watch:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833725

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is all of the new Bojack season going to be about Mr. Peanutbutter's political campaign? Because that sort of thing is just less funny nowadays for some reason.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is all of the new Bojack season going to be about Mr. Peanutbutter's political campaign? Because that sort of thing is just less funny nowadays for some reason.

It's the worst part of the season by far, but it's not the whole season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahaha oh my god, in the latest episode of Leah Remini Blows Up Scientology, it's revealed that once you pay $1,000,000+ to become OTVIII (the highest level you can be in Scientology, or one of the highest at least), you find out that you were actually yourself all along.

That's gotta be a crushing blow, to pay a million dollars and put yourself into extensive debt only to be told that you're actually yourself, which, loving DUH.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elizabeth Moss probably makes that in a weekend.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I was just thinking last night while playing Destiny 2 that I wish I still had one of those giant stereo systems to listen to music on while I did some grinding in the game. I could use my PC to listen to music (and I do a lot of the time), but it's hooked up to the same receiver that my PS4 is, so if I'm using one, I can't use the other at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Sta...rshall+stanmore (or something cheaper and crappier)

and your phone and you're set if you're not an audiophile (and even then it's more than good enough for background poo poo).

Also, your receiver might feature a second room feature, where the receiver can put out one thing to your main speakers and something from a second input on another set of speakers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Decius posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Sta...rshall+stanmore (or something cheaper and crappier)

and your phone and you're set if you're not an audiophile (and even then it's more than good enough for background poo poo).

Also, your receiver might feature a second room feature, where the receiver can put out one thing to your main speakers and something from a second input on another set of speakers.
That Marshall looks dope, but it's pricey. I think I'm gonna get an Amazon Echo when I can. Either that or use the PS4's Spotify feature. Listening to music on my phone speakers just doesn't give me the level of immersion that I need.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Elizabeth Moss probably makes that in a weekend.

Leah won an Emmy, Moss walked out.

lovely stuff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

lovely stuff.
Good. Scientologists are almost as bad as Nazis.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where did the jokes about Leah's show being called "gently caress Scientology" come from? I genuinely thought that was the name of the show until just now

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was me, i called it gently caress Scientology season 2. Someone ran with it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ahahahaha oh my god, in the latest episode of Leah Remini Blows Up Scientology, it's revealed that once you pay $1,000,000+ to become OTVIII (the highest level you can be in Scientology, or one of the highest at least), you find out that you were actually yourself all along.

That's gotta be a crushing blow, to pay a million dollars and put yourself into extensive debt only to be told that you're actually yourself, which, loving DUH.

I caught up with the show this weekend and one thing I like about it is that it avoids the usual "XENU LOL" thing and mostly just focuses on talking about the human misery and ruined lives that the practices of the church cause.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Orville is weird. Like, I thought it was a comedy parodying Star Trek and that kind of stuff but instead it seems like its actually trying really, really hard to be a real Star Trek knock off with an occasional joke. Like, I was expecting something like Galaxy Quest but its more like a sophomoric Star Trek spinoff. Where the captain/star is kind of a jerk.

I have no interest in Star Trek or that kind of show in general but I gave it a shot... so maybe it works if you like those kinds of shows? Maybe there's even a level of parody that I don't even get because I'm not a big fan of that kind of show/movie (I've seen plenty, I'm just not a regular viewer or anything).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 11, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The premier was completely overflowing with subtle nods to Star Trek. Good nods too not "were going to rename phasers to phase pistols but otherwise they operate exactly the same."

The show absolutely needs to do more humor like asking the alien to center himself in the frame and "I'm still learning people's names" while dropping some of the more groan-worthy colloquial stuff, but that was my biggest gripe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like I'm not totally unfamiliar with the genre. I watched some TNG and Deep Space Nine with my dad when I was young. I watched pretty much all the Stargate stuff. BSG. Random movies like Galaxy Quest. I'm not a fan of the genre but I've seen plenty and enjoyed a fair bit so I definitely noticed some of the clear genre cliches and archetypes.

So maybe it works on a really subtle level like that with hardcore fans of the genre. For me it just kind of made the whole thing feel like a not super interesting (or funny) version of those shows.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rocksicles posted:

lovely stuff.

Also Pete and Peggy where due to end up together in the final season of Mad Men but by the end of the show Moss was refusing to even be in the same room as the actor because he's beliefs (which are very buddhist inspired) clashe d with her own.

Weiner gave her a reduced role for all the headaches she caused.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good. Peggy and Pete ending up together would have been awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like I'm not totally unfamiliar with the genre. I watched some TNG and Deep Space Nine with my dad when I was young. I watched pretty much all the Stargate stuff. BSG. Random movies like Galaxy Quest. I'm not a fan of the genre but I've seen plenty and enjoyed a fair bit so I definitely noticed some of the clear genre cliches and archetypes.

So maybe it works on a really subtle level like that with hardcore fans of the genre. For me it just kind of made the whole thing feel like a not super interesting (or funny) version of those shows.

The best way I can put it is it felt familiar, like putting on a well worn pair of shoes, in a way Trek hasn't felt for almost two decades. The tone was totally different sometimes and that made it feel a little clunky. But it could smooth out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just 37 days til tip off friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Orville was completely bland and inoffensive and the (lack of) budget showed hard, but I can't really say anything bad about it either. I would have expected a pilot episode that... gave people a bit more humor or gravitas or something to come back for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

The Orville was completely bland and inoffensive and the (lack of) budget showed hard, but I can't really say anything bad about it either. I would have expected a pilot episode that... gave people a bit more humor or gravitas or something to come back for.

The sets were so cheap that it gave me a Firefly flashback.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1bJVoMoOc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Also Pete and Peggy where due to end up together in the final season of Mad Men but by the end of the show Moss was refusing to even be in the same room as the actor because he's beliefs (which are very buddhist inspired) clashe d with her own.

Weiner gave her a reduced role for all the headaches she caused.

You got a source for any of this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not very sensitive, Matt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

You got a source for any of this?

PriorMarcus likes to make sweeping statements without any grounding whatsoever. Pay no mind to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is there a thread for Phillip K Dick's Electric Dreams? I am stoked for it, hopefully it proves to be a worth rival to Black Mirror in the disturbing sci-fi anthology stakes.

• Locked thread