Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

There are a lot of nice acrylic/etc brain, heart, clue, resource tokens out there, even little arrows to link connecting locations visually.

This stuff is pretty wild https://www.topshelfgamer.com/colle...r-the-card-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Decided to give the core on more Solo shot with a Agnes deck I put together from scratch (2 cores, no extra cards). I was ripping along going "THIS IS AWESOME I MADE A DECK!!" thanks to some good pulls on the encounter deck that weren't too disruptive and some well placed dodge bag pulls, but when the Ghoul Priest dropped after the end of Act 2 I was quickly dead. I'd like to tweak her a bit moving in to the next scenario, which I've also never done before (this is my third time through the first scenario and I very nearly played it right last time, too!)

I don't think I got any experience for running from my house and killing literally nothing so I can only swap out 1st level cards again, but any thoughts are appreciated. The main thing seemed to be that I was Totally Useless when it came to fighting anything, and since I had to kill the Ghoul Priest to proceed that was the end of that run :v:

Agnes from Scratch
Required Cards: 1x Heirloom of Hyperborea
1x Dark Memory
1x Random Weakness

Decklist:

1x Forbidden Knowledge
2x Holy Rosary
1x Shriveling
1x Scrying
1x Arcane Initiate
2x Drawn to the Flame
2x Ward of Protection
1x Blinding Light
2x Fearless
1x Leather Coat
1x Baseball Bat
1x Rabbit's Foot
2x Look What I Found!
2x Lucky!
1x Survival Instinct
2x Flashlight
2x Emergency Cache
2x Perception
1x Overpower
1x Manual Dexterity
1x Unexpected Courage

TOTAL: 32 cards overall, I think?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Why do you only have one shrivelling.

Agnes is really good at killing things, btw.

You need more redundancy so your deck can be more consistent. I'm of the opinion that if a card is worth including in your deck it is almost always worth including twice unless you have a way to search for it like research librarian or prepared for the worst.

If you can't kill things add more combat cards.

Second scenario is way better than the first one but most people think it is way harder.

Edit:

Are you running through the adventure too fast? Since you've played the mission before you know the priest is at the end. You also know how many turns you have to beat the scenario. Don't trigger him if you don't have Shriveling yet, especially if you still have half a dozen turns. You might need to pace yourself.

It is also important to know when to play assets vs. events. Assets have a pretty major opportunity cost, both in resources and actions. If it is nearing the end of the mission it might not be worth putting them into play.

Take a look at the cards Agnes has available and figure out which ones could even let you beat the Ghoul Priest. Since he has retaliation you want to be able to succeed on your checks fairly reliably. How to you make sure you are doing damage even if you draw a skull or -2?

Finally, once you get the hang of solo, win or lose, I'd highly recommend switching to "two handed" solo. Controlling two investigators, who can pitch cards to help each other, can make the game more interesting. Some people prefer "one handed", of course, and that is OK too.

Edit 2:

It costs XP to switch out cards, even if they are level 0.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 11, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Quidthulhu posted:

Decided to give the core on more Solo shot with a Agnes deck I put together from scratch (2 cores, no extra cards). I was ripping along going "THIS IS AWESOME I MADE A DECK!!" thanks to some good pulls on the encounter deck that weren't too disruptive and some well placed dodge bag pulls, but when the Ghoul Priest dropped after the end of Act 2 I was quickly dead. I'd like to tweak her a bit moving in to the next scenario, which I've also never done before (this is my third time through the first scenario and I very nearly played it right last time, too!)

I don't think I got any experience for running from my house and killing literally nothing so I can only swap out 1st level cards again, but any thoughts are appreciated. The main thing seemed to be that I was Totally Useless when it came to fighting anything, and since I had to kill the Ghoul Priest to proceed that was the end of that run :v:

Agnes from Scratch

Yeah, the problem with your deck is that unless you have a really good reason you should have two copies of everything. The only reason not to play a 2nd copy of something is if you have tutor effects that can find it and it's fairly expensive so drawing it in your opening hand is a dead card.

Secondly, Agnes is great at killing things. More ways of getting horror will help if you're struggling with firepower, a second Shriveling and a forbidden knowledge (remember you can take a resource to place a horror to use her ability to ping someone) will help a lot. For example something like:

2x Flashlight
2x Scrying
2x Shrivelling
2x Holy Rosary
2x Leather Coat
2x Arcane Initiate
2x Forbidden Knowledge

2x "Look what I found!"
2x Blinding Light
2x Drawn to the Flame
2x Lucky!
2x Ward of Protection

2x Fearless
2x Perception
2x Unexpected Courage

I took out 6 singles and the emergency cache's to double up on everything else. Replacing Shivelling with a baseball bat gives you more ways to trigger her ability. Another Forbidden Knowledge gives you more resources to offset the loss of the Cache and gives you more firepower. The downside is you might really feel the lack of Emergency Cache, though the resource cost of this deck is pretty low. The resource curve is 1.4 resources on average, forbidden knowledge nets you 3 resources, and upgrading the blinding lights gets you down to 1.32.

Edit: Also, I am pretty sure you get experience for running away?

Edit 2: Actually my deck idea may be illegal as has 6 survivor cards, jettison the 2nd leather coat for something else. Nope that's totally fine.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 11, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm still learning how the game mechanically works at all and frequently forget to do poo poo, so that's why I forgot I had to kill the priest even though I had done it (like 3 months ago, in a game where I also died before the priest even spawned). I'll see if I got any XP at all and do some swapping before I try the second scenario.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit 2: Actually my deck idea may be illegal as has 6 survivor cards, jettison the 2nd leather coat for something else.

She can have as many survivor cards as she wants, just limited to level 2.

I think people undervalue the original investigators, being able to take the best of two card pools means Roland and Daisy aren't as far behind Zoey and Rex as some people claim and Agnes being able to take Peter Sylvester (2) along with the luck altering survivor cards is fantastic.

Their lower health and sanity is probably their biggest weakness.

Especially Skids, poor loving guy. Low willpower and sanity means he is such a liability. Two rotting remains and he is out. At least Roland can bring some art students and laboratory assistants to shore up his weaknesses while getting stuff done when you don't have monsters to fight.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

KPC_Mammon posted:

She can have as many survivor cards as she wants, just limited to level 2.

I think people undervalue the original investigators, being able to take the best of two card pools means Roland and Daisy aren't as far behind Zoey and Rex as some people claim and Agnes being able to take Peter Sylvester (2) along with the luck altering survivor cards is fantastic.

Whoops, didn't have the cards in front of me and couldn't remember her splash rules. Peter Sylvester is probably a decent pickup for this deck as well, though doesn't combo well with her special ability.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Whoops, didn't have the cards in front of me and couldn't remember her splash rules. Peter Sylvester is probably a decent pickup for this deck as well, though doesn't combo well with her special ability.

I like him with her special ability because it lets you avoid horror when there aren't enemies available to damage and helps soak up instances of 2+ horror, since taking more than one at a time doesn't give her more bonus damage.

If you take Forbidden Knowledge for extra damage on demand you'll definitely want help dealing with horror the event deck will send your way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Got to play a full labyrinths game yesterday, it's a really cool concept but the execution is a bit off. I'm sure part of that is the group we were in could have been better coordinated as well in terms of setup but there were a few times where we were a bit dumbfounded on how the game did stuff. I hope they do another in the future that learns from this one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Having access to the lightning gun early seems like it is going to feel like cheating.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Got to play a full labyrinths game yesterday, it's a really cool concept but the execution is a bit off. I'm sure part of that is the group we were in could have been better coordinated as well in terms of setup but there were a few times where we were a bit dumbfounded on how the game did stuff. I hope they do another in the future that learns from this one.

Huh?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233977/arkham-horror-card-game-labyrinths-lunacy

12 player scenario from the Gencon event

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Having access to the lightning gun early seems like it is going to feel like cheating.

You don't need to spoil player cards. It is assumed that you build your deck with all available cards.

It is a tradeoff. A single lightning gun will trivialize combat while you have ammo but it is expensive in xp and resources and you aren't guaranteed to draw it.

Requiring two hands is also annoying since flashlights and machetes are also good. You can take a bandolier, but that card doesn't do much until you draw your lightning gun and machete. You also probably don't want to spend xp for a bandolier, which means starting your character with a card that doesn't do anything.

Or you can discard your machete whenever you play the lightning gun but then you'll either want to save it for boss monsters or take some extra ammunition.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is being released right?

Right?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Got through the second scenario of the core campaign, and yeah, that poo poo was way better than the opener. So much fun, and I only got to see half of it until I had to flee in terror.

Looking forward, asking questions I know have already been answered: I have the Carnevale of Horrors scenario, as well as the Dunwich expansion & the Miskatonic Museum mythos pack. When I'm done loving around with the core, should I move on to Carnevale/also pick up Curse of the Rougarou, or just launch right into Dunwich? Are there really only the two non-dunwich Scenario packs?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Quidthulhu posted:

Got through the second scenario of the core campaign, and yeah, that poo poo was way better than the opener. So much fun, and I only got to see half of it until I had to flee in terror.

Looking forward, asking questions I know have already been answered: I have the Carnevale of Horrors scenario, as well as the Dunwich expansion & the Miskatonic Museum mythos pack. When I'm done loving around with the core, should I move on to Carnevale/also pick up Curse of the Rougarou, or just launch right into Dunwich? Are there really only the two non-dunwich Scenario packs?

Carnevale and Rougarou are VERY hard, but you can certainly play them after Core if you want. Or during, even! They are made to slot into other campaigns if you want.

They'll be a lot easier if you use cards from Dunwich, or if you do them with beefed up decks (i.e. after finishing some scenarios and getting higher-level cards).

And yep, currently only the two extra scenarios.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Man I seriously envy anyone that has enough friends into this sort of game that they could play that super campaign.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

Carnevale and Rougarou are VERY hard, but you can certainly play them after Core if you want. Or during, even! They are made to slot into other campaigns if you want.

I will repeat what I heard, but have no confirmed, that after Essex County Express Miskatonic Museum is kind of a logistically and thematic place to do the side-quests. Any thoughts on this? I just finished getting all 6 Dunwich Mythos packs, and I have Carnevale, so now to finish the 2 deck designs and get my wife re-hyped to play after our somewhat inconsistent performance in the core.

Her complaint was that she often felt like she had cards that were worthless or she couldn't use, so I'm hoping the vastly increased consistency of full-Dunwich decks will make her happy.

That being said, I'm curious if she would rather keep playing the guardian character and mow down enemies (seemingly simpler than being the Seeker), or if she should change roles. She doesn't always see card interactions or way to fully utilize what's in her hand, because she isn't a card game nerd like me.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 12, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I will repeat what I heard, but have no confirmed, that after Essex County Express is kind of a logistically and thematic place to do the side-quests. Any thoughts on this? I just finished getting all 6 Dunwich Mythos packs, and I have Carnevale, so now to finish the 2 deck designs and get my wife re-hyped to play after our somewhat inconsistent performance in the core.

It would be between Miskatonic Museum and Essex County Express, definitely not after ECE.

I prefer them as a stand alone adventure or a way to retire a character that just finished a campaign. Taking a break from a pressing story in the middle of a campaign to travel to New Orleans or Venice strikes me as incredibly weird.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

It would be between Miskatonic Museum and Essex County Express, definitely not after ECE.

I prefer them as a stand alone adventure or a way to retire a character that just finished a campaign. Taking a break from a pressing story in the middle of a campaign to travel to New Orleans or Venice strikes me as incredibly weird.

I thought there was some thematic thing where you didn't really know where to go next in Dunwich, so having some sidequest made sense.

EDIT: Oh it was after the Museum I think, like you said.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 12, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, it's more 'let's tie all the other loose ends before we hop on the train and face whatever happened in Dunwich".

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I thought there was some thematic thing where you didn't really know where to go next in Dunwich, so having some sidequest made sense.

EDIT: Oh it was after the Museum I think, like you said.

The story is set up so you always know where to go next. After Museum works better than your other options but I still think it doesn't make much sense.

They also offer very little XP with a high chance of failure. Having to redo the first three Dunwich scenarios because you went on a side quest that wrecked your characters is a very real possibility.

I don't think they are a good idea from a story or power gaming perspective.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

The story is set up so you always know where to go next. After Museum works better than your other options but I still think it doesn't make much sense.

They also offer very little XP with a high chance of failure. Having to redo the first three Dunwich scenarios because you went on a side quest that wrecked your characters is a very real possibility.

So would you suggest just doing one of those standalone decks where you get like 9 (??) XP and just go ham on it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

So would you suggest just doing one of those standalone decks where you get like 9 (??) XP and just go ham on it?

Absolutely.

Especially in your case, where you're not sure which type of character your wife would enjoy. Maybe try something completely different, like Ashcan Pete and Jenny Barnes.

Ashcan might even be a good fit for your wife, since if she doesn't like her cards she can always throw them away to ready Duke.

Edit: What did you two play previously?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 12, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

One thing to note, it's not all that unusual to have cards that feel useless and/or less than optimal in this. The scenarios are fairly well designed in that they won't let you keep going to the same tricks over and over (see the outcry over the 5th pack of the dunwich cycle for an example of this). Especially when you're going in blind and/or aren't gearing your decks specifically to deal with a certain scenario. That said the previous suggestion of using Ashcan Pete is a good one (since you can throw cards to ready Duke). If you have the new set Minh could also be an interesting choice if you're aggressive with using cards as skill boosts.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit: What did you two play previously?

The lovely default Roland and Wendy decks that we upgraded over the core scenario.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Radish posted:

Man I seriously envy anyone that has enough friends into this sort of game that they could play that super campaign.

We started doing an event roughly every month at FFG that people show up for. I only really know like two or three people that play :v:

edit for clarity: FFG as in the FFG store that I live near. I don't work for them and I don't actually help organize anything, I just show up for the game because it's fun.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 12, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

The lovely default Roland and Wendy decks that we upgraded over the core scenario.

Ah, that would explain why your wife thought most of her cards were useless. She was right, up to half her cards were just plain bad with her character depending on who she was playing.

Play a well constructed one-off and I'm sure your wife will have a better time.

The only advantage to the default decks is that they really encourage making your own deck. Playing an entire campaign with them would be awful.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ShaneB posted:

I'm not sure how you feel about decks that others have put together, but arkhamdb.com has a pretty good assortment of fun/interesting decks that folks have come up with. In particular, This Roland deck is pretty fun, and the person who built it has an extensive explanation as to why they made their card choices, suggestions to upgrade the deck, and the characters and types of decks to pair with it.

FBones over there also has a bunch of decks made with great explanations and suggestions.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'm not sure how you feel about decks that others have put together, but arkhamdb.com has a pretty good assortment of fun/interesting decks that folks have come up with. In particular, This Roland deck is pretty fun, and the person who built it has an extensive explanation as to why they made their card choices, suggestions to upgrade the deck, and the characters and types of decks to pair with it.

FBones over there also has a bunch of decks made with great explanations and suggestions.

Thanks!

Yeah I posted 2 decks a page or so ago and got feedback on them. I'm pretty ready to go now that I got the final mythos pack. Check those out if you want to comment.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd recommend running Carnevale of Horrors over Curse of the Rougarou. Carnevale is one of the best scenarios they've released so far while Curse is merely OK.

Play with either 9xp or 19xp and a bonus weakness. The extra 10xp goes a long way while going from 2 to 3 weaknesses isn't a huge deal.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

So is the game designed to always be a straight shot through Core -> Dunwich with scenarios & the same decks, or is it:

Core scenarios

REBOOT

Dunwich core -> mythos packs

I ask because after I finish the core I'm gonna start it over again with 2-decking, and I am wondering if I should do core then build new decks over for dunwich & reboot, or what.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

So is the game designed to always be a straight shot through Core -> Dunwich with scenarios & the same decks, or is it:

Core scenarios

REBOOT

I ask because after I finish the core I'm gonna start it over again with 2-decking, and I am wondering if I should do core then build new decks over for dunwich & reboot, or what.

Reboot

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Quidthulhu posted:

Core scenarios

REBOOT

It can work either way, and it can be pretty fun to take the same character(s) through both the Core, Dunwich, and further scenarios. Since it's an Arkham game, though, I would expect them to bite the dust in some fashion somewhere along the line.

Rebooting between campaigns, or even for side-scenarios like Carnevale or Rougarou, is also a perfectly acceptable way of going about it, and is probably the intention given the new investigators that come in each deluxe expansion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm honestly starting to think it's impossible to win the core campaign solo with one core box/starter decks. I even shifted down to easy with Roland and face planted at the Ghoul Priest because I drew nothing but library related cards.

Closest I got was Skids, who at least landed a punch on Umordhoth before being smeared on a cave wall.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 12, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I did, with Skids on normal. Lucking into an early Leo de Luca did wonders.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

I'm honestly starting to think it's impossible to win the core campaign solo with one core box/starter decks. I even shifted down to easy with Roland and face planted at the Ghoul Priest because I drew nothing but library related cards.

Closest I got was Skids, who at least landed a punch on Umordhoth before being smeared on a cave wall.

Its definitely doable, but it isn't easy. I'd definitely recommend playing on easy difficulty if your card pool is just one core and nothing else. Roland can pull it off with planning and a bit of luck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Quidthulhu posted:

Core scenarios

REBOOT

Reboot. The capstones of each campaign appear to leave significant marks, enough so that certain characters would be really hard pressed to continue, infinite experience points or otherwise.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

We did fine on normal. Though we either sacrificed our arsonist guide or disrupted the ritual the first time, no way could we take down the Ancient One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Carcosa day! Hope a lgs has it.