Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

MohawkSatan posted:

It is a battle to get through... because it never ends if I have it on repeat for the rest of my life. Holy gods loving drat, this is fuckig good. Hel, that's a severe understatement.

How many levels of irony is this post on.
In other news the new Threshold album is pretty solid if you like your prog(ish) metal(ish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

tote up a bags posted:

In other news the new Threshold album is pretty solid if you like your prog(ish) metal(ish)

None. It might not be your thing, but it's very much mine. Honeslty, the singles/music videos for the album are some of the weakest songs for me. The rest is very much my poo poo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

tote up a bags posted:

You are like little baby

Watch this

quote:

Anthrax were better under John Bush than Joey Belladonna

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Okay i didnt mean to be a purist i thought you were posting ironically for reals :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We need more folk/Celtic metal in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like Christmas music.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pollyanna posted:

Old Skyclad owns, Wayward Sons of Mother Earth was folk-thrash with a punk aesthetic and nothing sounds like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRFo0ElY0Y

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Left Hand Pass

LMFAO

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just watched a band called "gRain" play A.D.I.D.A.S. in Budapest to a full club. Most of whom were wearing Adidas. Meta as.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Vintersorg posted:

Left Hand Pass

LMFAO

I've been appreciating that album title all day long, album is good too!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw that First Fragment were denied visas for the tour in the US they were gonna be on that starts at the end of this month... the lead guy is also in Chthe'ilist.. so I hope he gets in here ok for MDF 2018 :(

Varg fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 9, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sounds like Christmas music.

Was it Goatmoon that had recent material that sounded really upbeat and Christmassy? or maybe another ns band

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

New Cannabis Corpse is better than I would have ever thought it would be. It's really short and really well trimmed. CC have consistently had good weed puns throughout their time and this continues onward still. This is probably one of the few metal albums I've listened to this year that isn't cavernous death or bestial in some variety or another.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Christmas is not the word I would use to describe it, but sure!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Was it Goatmoon that had recent material that sounded really upbeat and Christmassy? or maybe another ns band

Stella Polaris? Yeah a bit

Voitto tai Valhalla also has some upbeat, cheery sounding stuff to my ears.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Danny LaFever posted:

Stella Polaris? Yeah a bit

Voitto tai Valhalla also has some upbeat, cheery sounding stuff to my ears.

Nokturnal Mortem's "Goat Horns" album had keyboards that sound like they ripped them off from Final Fantasy 7.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The CC chat reminds me, how was the last Cannibal Corpse album? They've stayed surprisingly consistent but I've missed the last two I think. e: guess it's out in November

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
still laughing at Papyrus Containing the Spell to Protect Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is In the Bong Water

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

The CC chat reminds me, how was the last Cannibal Corpse album? They've stayed surprisingly consistent but I've missed the last two I think. e: guess it's out in November

Definitely worth checking out IMO.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

The last three strike me as being very, very similar to one another in terms of sound and song structure, so if you like one of them, you'll probably dig the others.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

The last three strike me as being very, very similar to one another in terms of sound and song structure, so if you like one of them, you'll probably dig the others.

"A Skeletal Domain" sounds very much like a heavier Demolition Hammer record.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Nokturnal Mortem's "Goat Horns" album had keyboards that sound like they ripped them off from Final Fantasy 7.

That album has really bad sounding instruments in general, like the guitars sound very thin and video gamey as well. It's actually somehow not a bad album though, because Nokturnal Mortum have usually been good at making very stupid musical ideas work.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

FYI, the current Inquisition tour is loving ace, and worth going to just for Volahn's performance of Chamalcan

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A human heart posted:

That album has really bad sounding instruments in general, like the guitars sound very thin and video gamey as well. It's actually somehow not a bad album though, because Nokturnal Mortum have usually been good at making very stupid musical ideas work.

Oh yeah I actually really love that album. It's completely different and weird in a really wonderful way.

E: I'd put it up there with Obtained Enslavement's "Witchcraft" album for surprisingly good, but also kinda loving weird black metal albums.

https://youtu.be/o-OPe_AlDeM

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 10, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Oh yeah I actually really love that album. It's completely different and weird in a really wonderful way.

E: I'd put it up there with Obtained Enslavement's "Witchcraft" album for surprisingly good, but also kinda loving weird black metal albums.

https://youtu.be/o-OPe_AlDeM

They also managed to make nechrist work very well even though it's like Ukrainian nazi hillbillies shouting yahoo or whatever, same with the pink floyd bits on voice of steel. I didn't think very much of the new album when i listened to a stream of it a few months back though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

FYI, the current Inquisition tour is loving ace, and worth going to just for Volahn's performance of Chamalcan

I'm probably going tomorrow night (or I guess tonight by the time most of you read this. Five bands on the bill means it's gonna go super late though probably.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm probably going tomorrow night (or I guess tonight by the time most of you read this. Five bands on the bill means it's gonna go super late though probably.

I had a ticket to the San Diego show but I decided to get up at 5 that morning to go fishing. I was asleep by 9 that night instead. Much regret.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So this new arch enemy... Is this good for them? Because I'm really enjoying it.

Edit: ok the second half isn't as good.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 10, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What the hell?

quote:

Authorities in Southern California arrested four members of the popular Polish death metal band Decapitated on Saturday morning on first-degree kidnapping charges.

The arrest came after an early morning Sept. 1 call to authorities in Washington state. “Police received a call from a victim reporting an incident that happened after a concert in downtown Spokane,” police said in a statement. “A patrol officer responded and assisted the victim. The report was then sent to the Special Victim’s Unit for follow up.”

Spokane police spokeswoman Cpl. Teresa Fuller told the Spokesman-Review that she believes the victim, a woman, attended the band’s downtown Spokane concert.
Decapitated performed Friday night in Santa Ana, Calif., just before police arrested band members Michal Lysejko, 27; Waclaw Kieltyka, 35; Rafal Piotrowski, 31; and Hubert Wiecek, 30.

“After they finished playing, they were kind of hanging out,” Santa Ana Police Sgt. Javier Aceves told the OC Register. “There was nothing dramatic.”

Santa Ana police assisted the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, which was on the case at the request of Spokane police.
The band’s attorney told the Spokesman-Review that he was hired Thursday when Decapitated found out about the investigation and that the members offered to surrender but didn’t hear back.

“There is another side to this,” said the lawyer, Steve Graham. “We have witnesses that can testify to the fact that the accuser came to visit the band of her own free will and left on good terms.”

Graham added that the band members would return to Spokane willingly and said he is concerned they will “languish” in the Los Angeles County Jail while awaiting extradition.
Decapitated is on a North America tour, with performances scheduled in the coming week in Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, Illinois and Canada. The band’s Sunday show in El Paso has been canceled.

The band performed at the Roxy in Los Angeles on Thursday night and at the Observatory in Santa Ana on Friday night.

Decapitated formed in 1996 in Krosno, Poland, and released their seventh studio album “Anticult” this summer.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kind of a vague request, but I'm looking for more stuff like A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Specifically, I like how restrained it sounds, and how soulful the riffs are. For the most part it's not super fast and the riffs are pretty basic. I grew up on tech-death and stuff but I seem to be regressing backwards so that now I only like stuff that's simple and produced like poo poo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Kind of a vague request, but I'm looking for more stuff like A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Specifically, I like how restrained it sounds, and how soulful the riffs are. For the most part it's not super fast and the riffs are pretty basic. I grew up on tech-death and stuff but I seem to be regressing backwards so that now I only like stuff that's simple and produced like poo poo

Under a Funeral Moon and Transylvanian Hunger round out that trilogy of albums and are all fantastic.

I'd say Burzum's first album and the ASKE ep are both in a similar vein. Really all of Burzum is pretty simple, repetitive riffing. It's not for everyone and Varg is a dipshit but all the Burzum albums, with the exception of the ambient ones (names escaping me) are all low fi, simple black metal.

The Mayhem demos after Deathcrush before De Mysteries was released fit that style a bit too.

For sure check out the other two Darkthrone albums I mentioned, they're both great and Transylvanian Hunger may be one of my favorite black metal songs ever recorded.

E: Weakling "Dead as Dreams"

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 11, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm one of the buzzkills who will not buy or listen to NS metal, but agreed, early Burzum helped define the genre( and the ambient ones are hilariously poo poo).

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It may not be exactly what you're looking for (A Blaze in the Northern Sky strikes me as an extremely unique album) but check out Туман's debut Transylvanian Dreams. As the album title implies, it's fairly shameless Darkthrone worship, so Fenriz would hate it, but it is restrained, basic and soulful. It's also actually pretty good.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tias posted:

I'm one of the buzzkills who will not buy or listen to NS metal, but agreed, early Burzum helped define the genre( and the ambient ones are hilariously poo poo).

The funny part is that if Varg had simply stuck to putting out albums and otherwise kept his loving mouth shut and his rear end out of trouble with the law, nobody would be any wiser, there's not actually any politically questionable content to be found in the albums themselves. (The early ones, anyway; I haven't paid much attention to his post-jail stuff.)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Lots of the riffs on A Blaze are like straight up Celtic Frost worship, so maybe listen to Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion. Probably Hellhammer also.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Groke posted:

The funny part is that if Varg had simply stuck to putting out albums and otherwise kept his loving mouth shut and his rear end out of trouble with the law, nobody would be any wiser, there's not actually any politically questionable content to be found in the albums themselves. (The early ones, anyway; I haven't paid much attention to his post-jail stuff.)

I mean, he did kill a guy, I don't think keeping his mouth shut would keep him TOTALLY out of trouble with the law.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

COOL CORN posted:

I mean, he did kill a guy, I don't think keeping his mouth shut would keep him TOTALLY out of trouble with the law.

"and" = "and also" rather than "and consequently"

'Course, I knew him by reputation [1] before he committed any crimes, and by all accounts he was always a dipshit waiting for his moment to truly shine (and thus do something to end up in major trouble with the law).

[1] We're about the same age and were part of two of the same small subcultures (metal and RPGs) in Norway in the early 90s, but in different parts of the country. Never met the dude in person but everybody would know someone who knew anybody else.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Terror Propaganda and Total Soul Rape by Craft are pretty much Darkthrone worship of the highest caliber.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A human heart posted:

Lots of the riffs on A Blaze are like straight up Celtic Frost worship, so maybe listen to Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion. Probably Hellhammer also.

Oh duh, totally spaced out on early Celtic Frost and especially the Hellhammer stuff.

To continue the Varg derail for just a moment, he released 3 metal albums post prison, "Belus" "Fallen" and "Umskiptar" which were good.

Everything he's released since has been garbage ambient, and I actually enjoy his other ambient stuff. "Daudi Baldrs" was the best of the original batch of ambient albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Check out Katharsis