Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

I'm surprised that this was even fixed as opposed to just insuring the building for a higher amount and then moving directors somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

stone cold posted:

re: nice people

Yeah, 8-Bit Scholar would be a collaborationist if poo poo hit the fan, either politely looking the other way or actively looking to thin the labor pool so that (white) American workers would get a better deal.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

The point in the US is to make voting harder.

For some.

Those Scantron machines like oohhboy describe are probably the best example. I've only seen them in certain districts or in some sort of non-critical election like municipal level stuff. I used those Scantron ballots when I voted in the primary last year, which was in a Republican-heavy, mostly-white suburban area. Just mark your choices or leave them blank and insert in the machine. But, I moved between then and the general election to an urban district, which is largely Democrat-leaning and made up diverse racial, ethnic, and social classes. We had the electronic voting machines with the dial, which were less than ideal. We had to get this five minute introduction by the election official and had to be taught how to work the machine before being left alone with it. I know people were still confused with the whole thing even after I left.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think 8-Bit Scholar is a loving racist idiot piece of poo poo and here's the flowchart I used to determine that:

code:

START: Does this person support Trump?

If YES, does this person support Trump knowing his policies?
OR, does this person support Trump out of ignorance/party affiliation?

If YES to the former then this person is a "loving racist idiot piece of poo poo." If YES to the latter then this person is a "loving idiot piece of poo poo."

There I said it. I literally think you are a piece of poo poo for supporting Trump, fullstop. The racist part comes if you knowingly support him knowing all the racist policies and racist ideologies and racist inner circle he keeps around him.

That's you 8-Bit. Now go gently caress off.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I have no idea how he holds on to both of these ideas at the same time, which leads me to the "empty words" hypothesis someone proposed earlier.

I mean they could just not think anything through in the least, although I'd bank on plain old racism like everyone else. Honestly, I'm surprised more people didn't already have 8-bit on ignore before all this.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think 8-Bit Scholar is a loving racist idiot piece of poo poo and here's the flowchart I used to determine that:

code:

START: Does this person support Trump?

If YES, does this person support Trump knowing his policies?
OR, does this person support Trump out of ignorance/party affiliation?

If YES to the former then this person is a "loving racist idiot piece of poo poo." If YES to the latter then this person is a "loving idiot piece of poo poo."

There I said it. I literally think you are a piece of poo poo for supporting Trump, fullstop. The racist part comes if you knowingly support him knowing all the racist policies and racist ideologies and racist inner circle he keeps around him.

That's you 8-Bit. Now go gently caress off.

meh, i think both answers on the flowchart should be racist

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

stone cold posted:

meh, i think both answers on the flowchart should be racist

I'll give it a pass that some people just grow up around republicans all their lives and just vote "R" without ever thinking about it or the ramifications of what they are actually voting or supporting.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'll give it a pass that some people just grow up around republicans all their lives and just vote "R" without ever thinking about it or the ramifications of what they are actually voting or supporting.

does racism require intent

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pembroke Fuse posted:

However, what they and you don't understand is that when Trump (or the next more competent fascist) collapses the country, all of us will probably suffer.

This country is doomed either way. The lifestyle it enjoys is unsustainable. The whole global marketplace thing is a veneer that obscures the fact that the modern world is only made possible through terrible cruelties visited upon other humans. Your cell phones and laptops are made from materials mined by actual slaves. Your clothes are stitched in foreign sweatshops; the privilege of paying a willing craftsmen for the fruits of his or her labor is high; organic farm practices decimate the soil and spread pestilent weeds everywhere. Without cruelty you would starve. Our wealth is sustained by dead men, women and children. Moral decay stains our teeth. You want to weep about the suffering of children now? We're not going to be absolved. You won't cure mankind of its wickedness. Nobody listens to reason. You can't seem to reconcile what you see as a contradiction and I cannot reconcile what I see as a contradiction. I mean, you're talking about forming a world government? Global law enforcement overriding every culture and every nation and every corner of the globe? That's what we're missing, a higher authority? Do as thou wilt.

Somebody said that I said a lot of ugly and hateful words here. I look over my posts and I don't see it. Not the words themselves -- maybe my spit towards petty authority, but not the words. Yet there is a lot of hate here, ringing like a church bell. The raw fury of this place is overwhelming. I don't know how you can hear anything over the noise. I guess I just wanted to be heard, but more than that I wanted to find out where that roiling rage comes from; I want to understand how with all the learning and knowledge and passion here, why there's just so much anger. The world is a mirror. What is it you see?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustached Demon posted:

The point in the US is to make voting harder.

For some.

I wrote it up as a comparison as to how malicious and insane the US voting system is even putting aside the structural flaws that give rise to the two party system.

Local elections are just as easy, they mail you voting papers, you mail them back in a post free envelope.

Even the homeless can vote via assigning their address to a homeless shelter or someone they trust who has an address. You also set your address as to where you feel at "Home" should you move for an extended period of time like being a student studying at a university but are encouraged to change address when possible.

there is also an unpublished roll where people in danger or feel so can be on. Like if you are a celeb or a victim of domestic violence so you can't be doxxed or stalked via the roll.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

stone cold posted:

does racism require intent

No and that's why I think they're ignorant pieces of poo poo, because maybe, just maybe, they are truly completely 100% unaware and will change their mind once they realize it.

I mean, from my experience I know at least one person who proudly claimed she was a republican back in high school simply because of her parents and my poo poo hometown's influence. She votes D now that she's moved out and away to the liberal east coast city of Austin.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/sebgorka/status/907095705185120256

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Somebody said that I said a lot of ugly and hateful words here. I look over my posts and I don't see it. Not the words themselves -- maybe my spit towards petty authority, but not the words. Yet there is a lot of hate here, ringing like a church bell. The raw fury of this place is overwhelming. I don't know how you can hear anything over the noise. I guess I just wanted to be heard, but more than that I wanted to find out where that roiling rage comes from; I want to understand how with all the learning and knowledge and passion here, why there's just so much anger. The world is a mirror. What is it you see?

You've hit on the whole point of dog-whistling. You get to say all sorts of terrible racist things but only by implication in a carefully crafted code. To those who don't know or deliberately ignore the code, it sounds reasonably polite and sensible, and your racism can pass almost unnoticed.

Unfortunately, we know the code and know exactly what your saying. It's actually hateful racist poo poo that makes you a terrible person. You're not fooling anyone.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

is that why you type like that did somebody do this to your brain

I'm going to respond to you because I want to think good people can be lead from the path of evil.

quote:

Dude, don't reprogram anybody. You're not trying to change people, you're trying to convince them that there's a better way.
No. We are trying to change you. We want to change people back from what the GOP and right wing nationism has scared them into being. You are changed from what you were as a child because someone wants you to be willing to stand by idly as they hurt and kill good people. They might want you to help, and you're going to be willing to because you have been indoctrinated to believe that it is Good and those who are getting hurt and killed and wiped from the earth are Bad for some reason.

quote:

1940's Germany was a perfect storm of loving poo poo, economic recession, the aftermath of getting pounded up the rear end in WWI, a crippling amount of debt and just a complete and utter shock to an extremely proud culture. It was the ideal soil to grow fascism within, and lo and behold it happened.
Fascism didn't start in Germany, it started in Italy. It also was quite prevalent in the USA as well before a Fascist nation attacked us. It isn't only possible when there is a perfect storm, and also you described the USA right now

quote:

You are right. It took millions of genuinely good people to help perpetuate the massive evil that the Nazis undertook. Every fascistic regime is staffed by people who just want to make a living for themselves and their families; perhaps you could define evil as self interest triumphing over good conscience. And fascism perpetuates itself everyit'where, whenever the conditions are right. There's enough righteousness in the air to suggest that people are chomping at the bit to go again, that there's a good amount of displaced and directionless people wanting for better options, wanting for a higher purpose.
Okay yeah so you already see that there is a strong drive to Facism in the USA. You seem to think that it is just one option of many, and that people are "directionless" and not evil. But that doesn't matter, the guy with the map at the front of the ship is pointing towards Facism and you're saying "well yeah but people may not go that way."

quote:

You can't rewrite human beings and make them all uniformly saintly. You cannot prevent people from behaving selfishly. At best perhaps we can just try and guide that selfishness towards a common good, some sort of communal goal. It's what I see in small town America, where time's passed slower than other places. I see a lot of bad things, I see a lot of desperation and a bit of hopelessness. I also see pride, joy, triumph at seemingly small victories, satisfaction in daily struggles. Goodness doesn't come from the top down, it grows from the earth like a sunflower, blossoming even in the midst of a drought.
Okay. thats very poetic. good job. people are good hooray.

quote:

We do lack for moral leadership in this country. We have for decades. Maybe we've never had it, maybe the whole thing is just a farce.
Maybe you buddy, but I think Obama was a great leader. He was well spoken and extremely competent and professional. His policies were if anything way too deferential to the opinions of others. If you don't think so then maybe this is where you should start your introspective journey into figuring out where you turned into a facist.

quote:

But pipe dreams and bitter resentment will not a nation build. You can't look at human beings and see machines that need reprogramming. You need to look at human beings and see people who want for a purpose. If you don't want that purpose to be marching to the drums of a fascist war machine, then you need to stop demeaning them, stop thinking of them as less than human. Everyone marches to war with righteousness in their hearts. You need to want to make people feel better.
Okay yeah but as a counterpoint: gently caress you. You stupid genocide sympathizer piece of poo poo. You can't be both a good person and sit idly by as nearly a million people are black bagged from their lives and thrown into camps to be eventually sent somewhere they've never been and have no family or support. Or maybe they'll just mysteriously die in the camps and no one will know why or even if they did or what happened to them because there are no trials. Or as enormous portions of the country are disenfranchised in the voting system or systematically and selectively targeted for crimes that reduce them to indentured servants of a police state.

If you don't know these things are happening, then you're ignorant or a simpleton. If you do, then you're evil. Neither of these are good. Neither of these are righteous and while both sides may have righteousness in their heart as they march to war, theres a good possibility that one side is DEAD WRONG. That side is you right now. You don't see people saying "well we should have just hugged Hirohito and he would have stopped raping the Chinese :) :)" You don't fight pure wickedness with hugs and good feelings.

quote:

If you want to make this country a better place, then start with your neighbor. Start with your school. Start by talking to people, listening to them.

Okay I am starting with you. I read your bullshit, I listened. Listen to me: You are Wrong. Realize that you are wrong. It isn't your fault. You only know what you've seen and heard and experienced, but realize that it is almost entirely a lie and it is making you a bad person. Then do this:

quote:

Go to work and perform your job with excellence; learn a craft, master a skill. Clean your apartment, water your garden. Invite a stranger over for dinner. Give more than is expected of you. All the rest, all the fancy words and rhetoric, it's just air. All political ideologies are just pathways to self-delusion. What's real, in this moment, is the sound of rain on the window pane; it's the laughter of children at play outside. Reality is this moment, present and endless, right now. Make it good. That's the only power you have. Wealth is neither coin nor check; wealth is the memories you have with others, the small pieces of time that make up a day.
Now when you see someone trying to stop someone ELSE that is NOT YOU from doing those things, that they are bad, and wrong, and you should intervene.

quote:

Be good, and goodness shall follow. If you want to see a world without hate, then you must let go of hate. The righteous are the thieves of virtue. So do not be righteous, do not seek to spread virtue. Just be good. Even if the world ends, at least you'll have something to smile about.
Again, very poetic. Your opinions do not match your silver tongue. You are a snake.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 11, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

theflyingorc posted:

it is absolutely incredible how long most of 8-bit's posts were

dozens of dozens of posts that were drive-thru joke worthy

also he something single-handedly recreated USPOL?

nah i'd planned on the resurrection a couple days ago but didn't have Mod Powers

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Trump supporters are either monsters or simpletons. There is no in between.

You either understand his policies and the horrific ramifications of them on innocent people, and then do not care.

Or you do not understand them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This may have posted, but it absolutely deserves to be posted again:

https://twitter.com/Choco_Optimus/status/906686851079180288

Holeeeee poo poo, this dude is loving AWESOME.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

the long pause near the end is amazing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Interweb posted:

This guy owns, but what actually stands out to me here is how the cop just has no loving clue how to even begin to deescalate the situation. Like he's just completely frozen because this dude is justifiably pissed the gently caress off and yelling at him.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

God drat that video is amazing.

Is he… is he still alive?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This would all sound mildly more interesting/honest if just pages ago you hadn't suggested that deporting immigrants and Dreamers was great for (white) US workers. I mean seriously, do you ever listen to yourself?

What do you think?

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I almost cried, I was so proud of him.. He was empowered and speaking God's truth. The cop expected something wrong to happen, and actually created the tension in the atmosphere. No violent activity, but had to bring that gun. I don't get how they can be that oblivious to do that poo poo with all the news.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hastings posted:

I almost cried, I was so proud of him.. He was empowered and speaking God's truth. The cop expected something wrong to happen, and actually created the tension in the atmosphere. No violent activity, but had to bring that gun. I don't get how they can be that oblivious to do that poo poo with all the news.

100% he wasn't oblivious to it. He knows. But all of his peers and cop buddies do the same, so he had to fit in. This is also exactly what the dude in the video says. He knows it's "one bad apple" but at the same time he knows that one bad apple spoils the entire thing. Maybe this cop didn't start off this way, but the "one bad apples" certainly changed him and everyone else in his squad, assuming he wasn't like this already.

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This country is doomed either way. The lifestyle it enjoys is unsustainable. The whole global marketplace thing is a veneer that obscures the fact that the modern world is only made possible through terrible cruelties visited upon other humans. Your cell phones and laptops are made from materials mined by actual slaves. Your clothes are stitched in foreign sweatshops; the privilege of paying a willing craftsmen for the fruits of his or her labor is high; organic farm practices decimate the soil and spread pestilent weeds everywhere. Without cruelty you would starve. Our wealth is sustained by dead men, women and children. Moral decay stains our teeth. You want to weep about the suffering of children now? We're not going to be absolved. You won't cure mankind of its wickedness. Nobody listens to reason. You can't seem to reconcile what you see as a contradiction and I cannot reconcile what I see as a contradiction. I mean, you're talking about forming a world government? Global law enforcement overriding every culture and every nation and every corner of the globe? That's what we're missing, a higher authority? Do as thou wilt.

yes in ur world view more government is bad. in the real world without a global taxation system corporations and the rich 1% will just abuse the cracks in the countries tax systems

without govertnment u dont get freeways, nasa and everything else we depend on to function.

within this support framework corporations can provide jobs. but its foolish to believe short sighted corporations would provide utilities(they dont in 3rd world countries)

if ur not sure what hateful things u said. it starts with ur support of trump. at this point ur probably confused because in ur reality hilary is the ultimate criminal evil....at least until the next democrat candidate becomes ur new enemy of pure hatred

but to the rest of us trump is the guy that wants deport 800k kids....and the list of horrible things he has said and tried to do is long. someone who supports trump is linked to all of that. even more when u defend what he does.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm still waiting for him to address the fact that he openly acknowledged Trump's policies as racist and that he thinks they're good, looks like I'll be waiting a while though :)

Also, lmao

https://twitter.com/pantherrants/status/906715400947322887

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cop's behaviour is so ingrained that everytime you see a cop they always have their hand on the holster ready to quick draw like it is the wild west. Police training from the ground up enforces their awful behaviour as they aren't being taught how to serve the community but be as an occupation force. Even a good cop gets their work undone by the next 10 cops.

The army has better inter-personal training than cops(None) do in an infinity more dangerous environment.

That guy is a loving Hero.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you have a country which has a division between legal and illegal immigrants, then should it not enforce that division? Do you think it's fair to the legal immigrants, who paid money, studied hard and had to do a number of rather obnoxiously difficult things to get their legal status, to just say "oh, but the ones who didn't do that also get a pass"?

Oh weird, suddenly the Libertarian is in favor of big government regulations and masses of bureaucratic red tape pointlessly making people's lives more difficult.
:thunk:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

I saw this earlier and it was fantastic. Someone get this dude a show.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Boris Galerkin posted:

100% he wasn't oblivious to it. He knows. But all of his peers and cop buddies do the same, so he had to fit in. This is also exactly what the dude in the video says. He knows it's "one bad apple" but at the same time he knows that one bad apple spoils the entire thing. Maybe this cop didn't start off this way, but the "one bad apples" certainly changed him and everyone else in his squad, assuming he wasn't like this already.

Some 10 cops, out of like a million in the country, get shot during traffic stops (of which there are seriously like 1 billion a year).

Therefore, stupid training programs have told cops to treat every traffic stop as life threatening. Many jurisdictions have hammered, again and again, that you MUST COME HOME ALIVE and that traffic stops are VERY DANGEROUS.

Combine this with racism making cops think that the presence of a black person inherently means more danger, and you get what you see here. A broken taillight stop where a cop pulls his gun.

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe
Pervert Democrat "tolerates" rape while Betsy DeVos fights to make college campuses safe from rape. We must protect our sons and daughters from sexual predators.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

theflyingorc posted:

Some 10 cops, out of like a million in the country, get shot during traffic stops (of which there are seriously like 1 billion a year).
Imagine pulling out a firearm defensively due to something that seriously has a 1 in 100 million chance of happening. Imagine how stupid your training has to be to make that happen.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Imagine pulling out a firearm defensively due to something that seriously has a 1 in 100 million chance of happening. Imagine how stupid your training has to be to make that happen.

US police draw down on butterfly due to chaos theory. Butterfly "flapping wings with intent".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

oohhboy posted:

The cop's behaviour is so ingrained that everytime you see a cop they always have their hand on the holster ready to quick draw like it is the wild west. Police training from the ground up enforces their awful behaviour as they aren't being taught how to serve the community but be as an occupation force. Even a good cop gets their work undone by the next 10 cops.

The army has better inter-personal training than cops(None) do in an infinity more dangerous environment.

That guy is a loving Hero.

Sure is weird how cops can use tear gas but the military can't.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DIE FURRY SCUM!

logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

yes in ur world view more government is bad. in the real world without a global taxation system corporations and the rich 1% will just abuse the cracks in the countries tax systems

without govertnment u dont get freeways, nasa and everything else we depend on to function.

within this support framework corporations can provide jobs. but its foolish to believe short sighted corporations would provide utilities(they dont in 3rd world countries)

if ur not sure what hateful things u said. it starts with ur support of trump. at this point ur probably confused because in ur reality hilary is the ultimate criminal evil....at least until the next democrat candidate becomes ur new enemy of pure hatred

but to the rest of us trump is the guy that wants deport 800k kids....and the list of horrible things he has said and tried to do is long. someone who supports trump is linked to all of that. even more when u defend what he does.

right now ur thinking of ur long list of terrible things hillary did. u wont understand but ill say it anyways. that long list is so much bullshit built by ur network of fake news and half truth friends, family, facebook etc etc

blind leading the blind

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

(...) Moral decay (...)
How did his constant use of this phrase go unnoticed? :allears:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Today, on September the 11th, I just want to remind people that Trump, the current President of the United States, has claimed that, on 9/11/2001, he was A: In New Jersey watching thousands of Muslims celebrate, B: in his tower, three miles away with buildings in between, personally watching people jump to their deaths, and C: at ground zero helping personally to move rubble (bravely struggling to help despite his personal fear that "You didn't know what was going to come down on all of us") . He has never backed down on any of these stories. Or...offered proof in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary...or...even responded to repeated questions or follow ups asking for details...he's even been so humble and contemplative and, yes, respectful that he refuses to even name a single one of the "hundreds of friends" he claims to have lost on 9/11.

Oh and let's not forget that Trump took a grant of $150,000 from a federal 9/11 fund designed to help small business recover their losses. His people have repeatedly claimed has has given over a hundred million to 9/11 charities...but will not provide any evidence and no charity has ever been found or come forward to say they've received any money. His foundation, funded 100% by other people's money, gave $100,000 in 2008, right before the primaries. Which can only mean one thing: Trump is so humble that all of his personal $100 million dollar equaling donations were anonymous. Just left his name right off those checks. He also...humbly...needed $150,000...for...humble...ness...

Anyway please, on this holiest of holy days, let us all of us, "even the haters and the losers*" turn our minds to the sheer majesty of a man so pure blooded and powerful and yes humble in every way that, in the hour of America's most dire need, he obtained amazing, deity like powers such as super sight, x-ray vision, and teleportation, but whom was also cursed to be the only witness to a celebration thousands of men strong. Truly we are blessed to have such a man amongst us. You know, figuratively. Because he needs to rest up for when he'll need those powers again.

*https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/377947866641485824

quote:

President Trump called the Manchester concert bombing the work of "evil losers" Tuesday.

"I won’t call them monsters because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them from now on losers, because that’s what they are. They’re losers. And we’ll have more of them. But they’re losers. Just remember that," he said.

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 11, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Trump is president.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's pretty hard to quantify; I'd argue that he's demonstrated more legislative acumen than his predecessor simply by being willing to take both sides of the aisle to task.

I'm a good number of pages behind, but I hope this profoundly wrong take rings out through the ages with the din of a thousand suns that emanate sound instead of light

E: Oh, he eloborated on his position and turned out to be throughly poo poo. Color me surprised!

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Remember? The best day of someone like Gorka's life? The day when people like him realized they could leverage people's fear into a career of making things worse? No thanks, and my family lost two friends in the Pentagon.

Seriously - 9/11 should be remembered as the day modern America's mettle was tested and we loving FAILED. We went to war with two countries for no reason other than profit motives, and we even hosed that up, mortgaging our country's future thrice over to make sure our oligarchs' last thirty years on this planet were gilded in Caligulan excess. Dubya had the highest approval rating of any president in recent memory - people were CLAMORING for bipartisanship and *direction*, and that dumbass told us to ~go shopping~ and to go to DISNEY WORLD, hosted in a state run by his little brother. The rest of the free world looked at us, bruised and bloodied, and hoped that our second 'Pearl Harbor' would inspire us to terrible greatness like it did the last time...and we loving choked.

We have utterly failed to do justice to the legacies of those who died on the planes, in the Pentagon, and the WTC. They didn't die for a better nation - they died for war profiteering, for empty promises, and for making our nation into a corporate police state where two consecutive chief executives were prideful enough to consider themselves worthy of irrevocable "superpresidential" powers because *surely* no one as despicable or undeserving of them like ~Donald Trump~ would ever win the presidency. Their memories will be used as political crutches for the next 100 years, denying them solace or peace even in death.

9/11 is a day of crocodile tears where an ever-shrinking subset of the population puts a new 'Support Our Troops' or 'We Will Never Forget :911:' bumper sticker on their car because the one they had from the year before has bleached in the sun to the point where the only color that's left is blue. It should be remembered for the day when we squandered a fantastically horrific opportunity to show the world that we were *better* than their expectations of us. That we'd gained some semblance of *maturity* in the decade since the apocalyptic game of chicken known as the Cold War.

We failed that test. Bigly. And if there are history books in the next 100 years, the saccharine ~Day of Reckoning and Remembrance~ that this day has become will be looked at as the turning point of where it all went wrong. The day when progress (both moral and scientific) lost out to fear, militarism, and xenophobia. The day when dormant fascists worldwide were given the gift of an eternally cooperative "Other" that not only thrives on the hatred of their enemies, but welcomes death. The day when loving warmongering shitheels like Sebastian Lukács Gorka realized they would never go hungry again so long as they permanently affixed their lips either to the assholes of the rich or the trumpets of war.

Let the ghosts of this day sleep in peace. Stop loving their spirits and calling it reverence.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 11, 2017

• Locked thread