Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Randallteal posted:

"I am seeing"? What, are you only going to reveal your sources if it turns out they trump the other poster's sources? Also who the gently caress cares.

LoL spend 30 seconds googling "Daredevil Jessica Jones viewership" and you might be a crackerjack investigative journalist just like me some day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

homullus posted:

No, it's not. Netflix said more people watched Jessica Jones than Daredevil, and more people watched it before Daredevil than vice versa.

Those people suck in the brain. Daredevil was way better and most importantly, it had WAY better action. There was zero good action in Jessica Jones

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zzulu posted:

Those people suck in the brain. Daredevil was way better and most importantly, it had WAY better action. There was zero good action in Jessica Jones

Maybe what's important to you isn't important to other people. If actions important it makes sense to not bother with TV and just watch movies instead because very few TV series actually do it well.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL spend 30 seconds googling "Daredevil Jessica Jones viewership" and you might be a crackerjack investigative journalist just like me some day!

Iron Fist beat them all soooo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zzulu posted:

And Jessica Jones was much more interesting thematically than yet another iteration on the morality of superhero vigilantism (even if it was a pretty good take).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Actually, Jessica Jones was bad

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Actually, Jessica Jones was bad

Actually, you are wrong.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bad acting, bad plot, dull characters, terrible dialogue, visually uninteresting

I did like Kilgrave a while but it wasn't enough

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Bad acting, bad plot, dull characters, terrible dialogue, visually uninteresting

I did like Kilgrave a while but it wasn't enough

Still wrong, but just stay in your happy little bubble of wrongness.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

NutritiousSnack posted:

Iron Fist beat them all soooo

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Jessica Jones had the fight between her and Luke Cage which was better and scarier than anything in Luke's show or the Defenders (didn't watch Iron Fist)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think an important note is that Iron Fist and Daredevil are very very close to being the same show, because it's about sad and lonely Kung-Fu orphans trying to have it all while struggling with inner demons of guilt and inadequacy. Pretty much everyone can relate.

Luke Cage started off being more or less about blackness, racism and corruption, before it dropped all of those pretenses to establish Luke as a super hero. There isn't a black super hero show in 2017, this is it. The first half of Luke Cage is dropping with juicy cultural influence and personality, which is something everyone in JJ lacks.

Jessica Jones, whether you want to admit it or not, is about how misogyny can make women, even powerful women, feel powerless, ESPECIALLY when you are trying to have justice. She spends the series wrestling with the right thing to do, but ultimately the only way forward is through violence, because sometimes that is the only way to deal with someone as selfish and evil as Kilgrave.

This is like the opposite of every other super hero show, because JJ should be just pushing buildings over and instead she spends half the show triggered and scared before deciding enough is enough. So it's really easy for me to understand why of the 4 it's the most divisive, but also the least engaging because even though it's a show about strong kick rear end wise-cracking lady detective, it's ultimately a show about Kilgrave as much as it's a show about JJ, and despite being THE vehicle for tough women in comics, the entire show is about misogyny and sexism, so it kind of has to revolve around men to make its point.

I'd love for S2 of JJ to literally just ditch every male character except maybe the 'roommate' and just have her solving crimes with lady villains and getting into fights with Misty. Just low-key write the whole season following the guidelines of the Bechdel test and the Sexy Lamp test and just see what happens.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The first half of Luke Cage is about kidnapping the entire cast of The Wire.

The second half is about a grown man having a tantrum in his Power Ranger pyjamas.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

tooterfish posted:

The first half of Luke Cage is about kidnapping the entire cast of The Wire.

Didn't go far enough on this, in my opinion. Though Herc had already played Fisk's dad.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Luke Cage was good when Cottonmouth was the villain. Luke winning the speech battle at the funeral owned because it was great seeing that rear end in a top hat taken down a peg. Then he gets killed off and Diamondback is boring and I don't care anymore.

I assume there's some snake theme in the comicbooks based on the names

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cottonmouth wasn't there to be the villain of the season. He was there to goad Mariah into embracing her inner Mama Mabel. It's as much Mariah's origin story as it is Luke's. So it works that she kills Cottonmouth halfway through because her getting out from under that rap is a key point in her transformation. But since she's so focused on that you need a villain to more directly oppose Luke, which brings you to needing Diamondback. It's just a shame they wrote him so broadly, because it is a weird tonal shift.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Diamondback worked for me because he, Shades and that story was such a throwback to Blacksploitation movies, that I has a stupid smile on my face the entire time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Diamondback fine as the crazy gun dealer at the top of the food chain. I was iffy about him being Luke's secret brother and the show randomly turning into a clunky origin story mid way through. The bad super villain suit was just kind of too much in too little time. I think Diamondback could have worked if he was any one of those three things focused, or maybe even two. But it was just too much for him to be like 3 new tonal villains in one in half a dozen episodes.

That said I rewatched Cage before Defenders and its still a series I love adn leaves me with a smile.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope they stop doing the whole "cramming two villains into one season" thing because it brought down both DD2 and LC several pegs.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

JJ resonated most strongly with my alcoholic friends, of which I have many.

You can draw your own conclusions about how many alcoholics watch Netflix. A lot?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its kind've impressive that the Hand's bland shittiness wrecked a full half of the Netflix Marvelverse.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

enraged_camel posted:

I hope they stop doing the whole "cramming two villains into one season" thing because it brought down both DD2 and LC several pegs.

Yeah, why the hell wasn't the Punisher storyline the main focus of DD2, and having his trial be the climax of the season? It was poorly done and a shame because the Punisher stuff may be the best storyline the whole Marvel Netflix stuff has done

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its kind've impressive that the Hand's bland shittiness wrecked a full half of the Netflix Marvelverse.

There's nothing about the Hand that doomed them to be inherently bland or lovely. The showrunners just did an awful job with the concept.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

enraged_camel posted:

If either had two good villains, I think it would work fine. The Hand and Diamondback were just lovely. They'd probably be lovely for 13 episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah, why the hell wasn't the Punisher storyline the main focus of DD2, and having his trial be the climax of the season? It was poorly done and a shame because the Punisher stuff may be the best storyline the whole Marvel Netflix stuff has done

Because then people would be bitching about how they dragged the Punisher story out for thirteen episodes. Having two story arcs was their response to the criticism that DDS1 and JJ felt like ten episodes stretched across thirteen.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Black Sky's power source is a mixture of continuity and metanarrative. It carves a path of plot holes and weak storylines, leaving husks of entire series in its wake.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

If either had two good villains, I think it would work fine. The Hand and Diamondback were just lovely. They'd probably be lovely for 13 episodes.

That's the thing though, villains have been quite hit-or-miss so having two just doubles the risk of having a lovely villain!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

That's the thing though, villains have been quite hit-or-miss so having two just doubles the risk of having a lovely villain!

Having two doubles the chance that one will be decent.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Saint Freak posted:

Having two doubles the chance that one will be decent.

How well did that work out. We got Cottonmouth in Luke Cage. Everything else has been a trashfire of mediocre.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The TV IV › Netflix Marvel: A trashfire of mediocre

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

You know, I'm looking at the promotional stuff for the Punisher show, and it seems like they're going for a more "government conspiracy" than "kill all gangsters" vibe. Which is probably a good interpretation.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, god yes.

You fucker, now you're making me wish this existed.

It's been suggested often before, but Tarantino could do a really good Heroes for Hire period piece.

He probably could but do we really need foot fetish scenes in the MCU?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spacebump posted:

He probably could but do we really need foot fetish scenes in the MCU?

It's a really small price to pay if everything else gets fixed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

nerdman42 posted:

You know, I'm looking at the promotional stuff for the Punisher show, and it seems like they're going for a more "government conspiracy" than "kill all gangsters" vibe. Which is probably a good interpretation.

Okay, this I'll watch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just have Iron Fist embrace the weirdness of kung fu magic powers for inevitable season 2 and it becomes immediately better.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That would be cool if dude could use his powers all the time. And he wasn't a billionaire white boy, Tony Stark owned it at least.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think I'm ready for JJ2. My body is ready.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
Or how about for Iron Fist 2, make sure they hire people that make good martial arts sequences and writers that can write plot at least better than middle schoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Or how about they don't make Iron Fist 2.