Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Appachai posted:

Why not both?

Well I meant that I don't know if I hate my current job function. I've been in Regulatory for two years and I still don't know whether or not I like it. But because there are some very obvious cultural problems here, I don't know if that overall dislike of my job comes from hating Regulatory work or just hating my employer specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

buglord posted:

I mean, they called me when I was in the drive thru of a burger joint, and because my phone was paired to my car a weird way, they heard the music I was playing. But I guess that didn't scare them away either. So here's hoping something positive happens!

Post the music.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Discendo Vox posted:

Post the music.

:agreed:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

https://youtu.be/gZQ5aNrwYcM

phone posting so no preview.

also I think I got the job :toot:

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
Is it sad that this video put me over the edge on our liquid handler? We went with them, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RT5DofzEv0

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DJ Sizzle posted:

Is it sad that this video put me over the edge on our liquid handler? We went with them, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RT5DofzEv0

just lol if you don't base your choice of PCR on who won the SYBR Green vs TaqMan rap battle (it was SYBR btw)

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

just lol if you don't base your choice of PCR on who won the SYBR Green vs TaqMan rap battle (it was SYBR btw)

my personal favourite, featuring dr. qiadoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISGQt9WJi5k

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

buglord posted:

https://youtu.be/gZQ5aNrwYcM

phone posting so no preview.

also I think I got the job :toot:

:neckbeard:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How much of a lab manual layout is personal preference vs a strict standard?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
highly dependent on the protocol/method, or are we ralking just general wet lab guidelines?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

vivisectvnv posted:

highly dependent on the protocol/method, or are we ralking just general wet lab guidelines?

Yeah just general guidelines. I've typically just followed the zubrick's layout if that is good enough.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with Leica's BOND Autostaining machines?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ScientistsTakeAKnee

:psyduck:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Know what I'm doing when I'm done with vacationing.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

white people ruin everything

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I think it's fine

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I am a MLT (ASCP), guessing this is the thread for me? :ohdear:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So the only microbalance in our potent compound suite no longer has a backlight to it. I never thought years of playing game boy by flashlight in the back of moms car on family trips would become a skill I need at a international CRO...

I did mention this to the person who oversees the balances and she said already knew and was going to contact mettler this week. How about loving right now!?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jesus christ the two people who are supposed to be setting up our new slide scanning microscope are just sitting in chairs outside my office blabbering about hairties, after having given a "tutorial" on how to use the machine then promptly discussing between eachother all the things they don't understand about this machine with lots of "I have no idea"s and "I didn't know that at all"s interspersed in their conversation and I can still hear them through my closed door and I want to fling them into the river and

:suicide:

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Johnny Truant posted:

Jesus christ the two people who are supposed to be setting up our new slide scanning microscope are just sitting in chairs outside my office blabbering about hairties, after having given a "tutorial" on how to use the machine then promptly discussing between eachother all the things they don't understand about this machine with lots of "I have no idea"s and "I didn't know that at all"s interspersed in their conversation and I can still hear them through my closed door and I want to fling them into the river and

We recently switched instruments from one company who had absolutely garbage customer service to a company with a great track record. Unfortunately this piece of equipment is new for them. During the training, it failed the test to determine if it is calibrated correctly 15 times and we were told that probably doesn't matter and the demonstrators found out that the two programs required to test and track info can't run at the same time or it crashes in the middle of testing. Our lab hears, "I've never seen that happen on this machine before" from vendors once every two months with all the new stuff we have.

We were also given a prototype plate reader with brand new plates to test for them. It is the most tedious god drat thing in the world. It's self contained and you enter plate info into the reader via keyboard on a tiny led screen. It drops inputs if you type too quickly. We run hundreds of plates a day and there's no way we could read that amount in a day with this thing. My boss won't stop praising this thing while just kind of ignoring that no one has used it since the first time we used it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phosphene posted:

We recently switched instruments from one company who had absolutely garbage customer service to a company with a great track record. Unfortunately this piece of equipment is new for them. During the training, it failed the test to determine if it is calibrated correctly 15 times and we were told that probably doesn't matter and the demonstrators found out that the two programs required to test and track info can't run at the same time or it crashes in the middle of testing. Our lab hears, "I've never seen that happen on this machine before" from vendors once every two months with all the new stuff we have.

We were also given a prototype plate reader with brand new plates to test for them. It is the most tedious god drat thing in the world. It's self contained and you enter plate info into the reader via keyboard on a tiny led screen. It drops inputs if you type too quickly. We run hundreds of plates a day and there's no way we could read that amount in a day with this thing. My boss won't stop praising this thing while just kind of ignoring that no one has used it since the first time we used it.

I've got a training session on the microscope next week, with one of the same techs that was a part of the initial clusterfuck. Oh boy!

Also I've been running so many titrations that I think I'm going to start seeing them in my sleep :rip:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So glad I came in on a Sunday to do some immunos, and nothing was visualized with our DAB in our autostainer. I love wasting three hours of my time because of a piece of trash machine!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's like 80% of all lab work: instrument not working right.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Would I rather do immunos by hand, or be pissed off at machinery...

:negative:

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Mustached Demon posted:

We restarted a pc today and no one we could reach knew the password to get back into the computer so we couldn't use that instrument today. How does this happen.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress Tecan Evo robots, seriously. Supposed to let us run more assays more accurately but they mostly create very expensive headaches.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

gently caress Tecan Evo robots, seriously. Supposed to let us run more assays more accurately but they mostly create very expensive headaches.

Like what?
Ours works rather well, but is mostly used for pipetting crystallization screens and DSF plates.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cardiac posted:

Like what?
Ours works rather well, but is mostly used for pipetting crystallization screens and DSF plates.
We're running ELISAs and ECL assays.

Most recent one was a tiiiny error in a script that caused it to gently caress up when pipetting a partial plate for a nAb titer, which somehow took 6 weeks to fix and revalidate the assay. In the meantime we've accumulated a backlog of ~800 samples, can run only 3 per plate and the script can only do 4 plates at a time, and we'll be able to use at most 2 Tecans a day - they're expecting the first data transfer in early December. Doing the math, that ain't gonna happen.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I love when someone requesting tissue from my lab asks for an absurd amount of a region of interest, then when told that is not feasible, switches to another region of interest, also an absurd amount. :sigh:

People in academia can be so thoughtless(myself surely included).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What do you mean you can't get me 4 kilograms of sectioned murine occipital lobe from immunosuppressed mice expressing gene (whatever)? HOW WILL I DO MY WORK?

Minus the kilograms part, I occasionally see R&D distribution-list e-mails go around that are like that. "Hey, anyone have a spare set of plated spleen cells from a parrot, ideally coated with a fine layer of ear wax? It's for research of course." Come on already. You know nobody has that, and if they do, they sure as gently caress aren't giving it to you.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 14, 2017

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

oh boy, good tech support!

Day 0:

me posted:

I took stack images with 900 images with Neurolucida. When I tried to save the file as a .tiff image stack, both of the files maxxed out at 2,102,674 kb, and will not open (it says they are corrupt). The program appeared to hang while I was saving it, but came back online and didn't have any popups or errors stating that the file was bad, though it did crash when I tried to do the 3d view.

Is there some upper limit that I'm hitting here? should I be using a file format other than tiff for these stacks? I need the big stacks because I am importing the files into NeuroLucida360 to do cell anatomy tracing.

Thanks,

Day 6:

quote:

Dear crabrock:
The first thing the programmers would like to check is whether you might be running out of disk space. They get messages like that when there is not enough room to save; and that would go along with the fact that both files stopped at exactly the same size.
Thank you,
Dr. Daniel Peruzzi I Research Liaison

quote:

No, both files were saved in the same computer with plenty of space, so that is not the issue. I wouldn't have been able to save another 2gb file if I was out of space for the first one.

Additionally, we have 140gb free on this hard drive.

The program just stopped saving the file. It "completed" and went back to working like normal. No errors or anything.

I was digging through the settings to see if I can find any reason this is happening. Our"video memory" is 2 gb. Could this be a reason? Are the saved stacks processed with video memory?

Day 8:

quote:

Thank you for letting us know there is plenty of room on the hard-drive. I have also forwarded the idea about the video memory to the programmers working on this and we have the file that did not save to completion. I will be away at the Society for Neuroscience meeting until the week of Thanksgiving, but the programmers will be here and hopefully make progress. If you need help in the interim, please use support.mbfbioscience.com.

Thank you,
Dan

quote:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update. Will they be in direct contact with me? We'd really like to get it figured out ASAP, since it's holding up our experiment, and if it's just buying a higher memory video card we can do that.

Day 9:

quote:

Dear Dr. Rock:
Thanks for letting me know about the urgency. I have forwarded this problem to Head of Tech Support, Zoltan. He is not attending the Neuroscience conference.
Sincerely,
Dan

(lol at getting so formal all of a sudden)

Day 14:

quote:

Hi crabrock– Dan is at SfN and asked me to follow up internally and with you. One question that came up is: Is there sufficient disk space on the system to save your 6Gb file?
Thank you,
/zoltan

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

i answered the question myself after some more googling. apparently a tiff can only save 2gb files. I had erroneously landed on some page saying the limit was much, much higher (but that's bigTiff). In two weeks they are still asking me the same stupid question they started with, which doesn't even make logical sense given the information i provided them.

Tiff/jpg are the only formats this program will save images as. each slice in the stack is 16MB and there doesn't appear to be any way to decrease the resolution. obviously i'm not going to save high resolution microscopy photos as jpg...

glad i wasted 2 weeks on this instead of just using another program to capture the images.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 14, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

crabrock posted:

This is making me really look forward to using our new slide-scanner and image analysis program! Especially because the trainers for it seemed to have no idea what they were doing..

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

crabrock posted:

Day 0:

Day 6:

Day 8:

Day 9:

(lol at getting so formal all of a sudden)

Day 14:

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

i answered the question myself after some more googling. apparently a tiff can only save 2gb files. I had erroneously landed on some page saying the limit was much, much higher (but that's bigTiff). In two weeks they are still asking me the same stupid question they started with, which doesn't even make logical sense given the information i provided them.

Tiff/jpg are the only formats this program will save images as. each slice in the stack is 16MB and there doesn't appear to be any way to decrease the resolution. obviously i'm not going to save high resolution microscopy photos as jpg...

glad i wasted 2 weeks on this instead of just using another program to capture the images.

I'm laughing maniacally because I had a similar convo with Olympus over some confocal software literally a decade ago that was about the same as this.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i sent them a slightly passive aggressive response about how i just moved on to a more appropriate piece of software and told them the info i'd found and then magically within 5 minutes the responded back with

quote:

1. Save in .JPX format instead of .TIF.

Our first recommendation to customers saving large files acquired and analyzed in our software should be to use the .jpx image file format (keep all the resolution in a much smaller image file). This will also help when opening it in NL360 (also it couldn’t hurt to mention when using large files in NL360 that it is best to zoom in on the image in the 2D window and then open the 3D window – this will allow it to open smaller areas of the image in the 3D making it possible to work with large images with a less beefy computer – BUT saving as .jpx may make it possible to open the entire thing in NL360 3D). MBFJPeg2000 - .jpx

2. Our records show you are using current versions of both NL and NL360, v2017.02.2 and v2017.01.3 respectively. Please verify this is the case.
3. Are you acquiring a single image stack or a 3D Virtual Tissue?
4. We are QA testing an updated library that will allow for .TIF files larger than 2GB. It is not ready yet.

THANKS FOR YOUR FIRST RECOMMENDATION 2 WEEKS LATER

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sundae posted:

What do you mean you can't get me 4 kilograms of sectioned murine occipital lobe from immunosuppressed mice expressing gene (whatever)? HOW WILL I DO MY WORK?

I just keep imagining this request being made at the counter of a deli.

"Hey, can I get a pound of the pressed murine substantia nigra loaf? The DBA/2J? And microtome it thin? No, thinner than that."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That Works posted:

I'm laughing maniacally because I had a similar convo with Olympus over some confocal software literally a decade ago that was about the same as this.

lovely software seems common in labs.

Our ICP-oes politely forgets to calculate out dilution factors when printing reports. So the printed reports don't have dilution corrected values. They said they'd get the error like a year ago.

Thankfully we can copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet...

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

lovely software seems common in labs.

I don't think i've even found lab software that didn't have glaring deficiencies. when you add in GMP compliance a desire to drink the medical grade ethanol becomes understandable. my favorite is that bruker NMR software in some versions the audit trails don't even record integration.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

Minus the kilograms part, I occasionally see R&D distribution-list e-mails go around that are like that. "Hey, anyone have a spare set of plated spleen cells from a parrot, ideally coated with a fine layer of ear wax? It's for research of course." Come on already. You know nobody has that, and if they do, they sure as gently caress aren't giving it to you.

Just to come back to this, it happened TWICE to me today.

"One gram of substantia nigra minimum, from ten PD cases and ten controls" motherfucker there's maybe a gram of substantia nigra TOTAL, and gently caress you for then trying to sneak in getting you 20g from the prefrontal cortex without following our tissue request protocol. Have fun resubmitting that form and getting bumped to the bottom of our distribution que :byewhore:

"We need 100g of frontal cortex from ten controls and ten AD patients so we can try to narrow down the heterogeneity of tau" MOTHERFUCKER THAT'S THE WHOLE CORTEX. HOW CAN YOU ASK FOR LITERALLY TWENTY OF OUR BRAINS FRONTAL LOBES

I did not realize how frustrating being a tissue bank coordinator would be

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
you sure they didnt mean 100g en masse? as in 10g per sample?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

vivisectvnv posted:

you sure they didnt mean 100g en masse? as in 10g per sample?

Yes, I'm sure. If it was total mass I don't think I'd be posting about it here.