Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my coworker and I have a movie exchange going. I loaned him Get Out.

He loaned me Lucky Number Slevin.

Holy gently caress I hate when a 15 year old is given a script to write. Half that movie could have been cut because there is seriously 5 times where "Why is he called The Rabbi?" "Because he's a rabbi." exchange happens.

"Why is he called The Fairy?"

"Because he's a fairy."

"So he has wings and fairy dust?"

"No, he's a fairy. He's a homosexual."

Or the fact a romance plot has to be shoehorned in with Super Cute Quirky Girl because what movie about rival gangs (which we barely see) is complete without some upbeat idiot loving the main dude?

I don't ask for much in my dumb crime lord movies.

Lucky Number Slevin is also a film which spoils its non-existent but it sure thinks its existent twist in like the first 5 minutes if you understand Hebrew so that film went over poorly with the Jewish Student Union I watched it with.

Conversely, Borat was extra funny if you speak Hebrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Smokin' Aces and Lucky Number Slevin are the same movie, based on the trailers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Smokin' Aces and Lucky Number Slevin are the same movie, based on the trailers.

No no, Smokin Aces is a the film where you fast forward the first like 15 minutes and skip to, and gently caress spoiler tagging this, Ben Affleck getting murdered and I want to say Chris Pine moves Ben's characters dead mouth as a ventriloquist dummy for forgiveness for killing him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I threw Smokin' Aces on while drinking a beer and rebuilding a carburetor a few years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It certainly wasn't good, mind you, but I was expecting it to be woeful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The word 'ewok' is never spoken in any of the Star Wars films. It's pretty hard to separate the movie's text from the marketing and fancruft at this point.

Probably doesn't help that the Jedi and Sith are presented with vaguely Eastern mysticism implying the need for balance and the acceptance of all aspects of existence for harmony, but it turns out it's just God and the Devil.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Barudak posted:

No no, Smokin Aces is a the film where you fast forward the first like 15 minutes and skip to, and gently caress spoiler tagging this, Ben Affleck getting murdered and I want to say Chris Pine moves Ben's characters dead mouth as a ventriloquist dummy for forgiveness for killing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbamLjdUt7Q

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Harton posted:

Yeah I thought this too but then stupid "always two there are, master and apprentice" bullshit.

That concept is just remarkably stupid, Lucas is a loving hack.

I've seen this discussed on more occasions and because I'm not all that familiar with Star Wars, aside from casually enjoying the franchise, it's always left me wondering.

Is it ever explicitly made clear he means there's always exactly 2 baddies, no more? Or is it more of a if you find the one there's the other too somewhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Taeke posted:

I've seen this discussed on more occasions and because I'm not all that familiar with Star Wars, aside from casually enjoying the franchise, it's always left me wondering.

Is it ever explicitly made clear he means there's always exactly 2 baddies, no more? Or is it more of a if you find the one there's the other too somewhere.

The idea is basically that the Sith is a tradition, and thus there's always gotta be a teacher and someone to teach. And it seems implied to be something of a prophecy on Yoda's part, given it's a literal rule of the Sith. (The backstory goes that the Sith as an empire collapse hilariously fast because they murder each other for power; having only two means that it's just the student killing the teacher when they've learned everything, like cannibalistic leapfrog) The Dark Side doesn't let people share power.

Obviously the supplementary material immediately adds ten zillion more students to it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Barudak posted:

Lucky Number Slevin is also a film which spoils its non-existent but it sure thinks its existent twist in like the first 5 minutes if you understand Hebrew so that film went over poorly with the Jewish Student Union I watched it with.

I think this happened in Iron Man too if you could speak Pashtu or something.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rough Lobster posted:

Also the start of The Thing apparently.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inescapable Duck posted:

The idea is basically that the Sith is a tradition, and thus there's always gotta be a teacher and someone to teach. And it seems implied to be something of a prophecy on Yoda's part, given it's a literal rule of the Sith. (The backstory goes that the Sith as an empire collapse hilariously fast because they murder each other for power; having only two means that it's just the student killing the teacher when they've learned everything, like cannibalistic leapfrog) The Dark Side doesn't let people share power.

Obviously the supplementary material immediately adds ten zillion more students to it.

Eh...to the contrary i think you could easily flip that. Yoda was saying that if they found one Sith there had to be another, either his Master or Apprentice (Hell obi wan even helpfully blurts out "which one?!")

EU authors took this statement literally as there could only possibly ever be 2 ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since I managed to spawn multiple pages of discussion on why the Hobbit trilogy was a mess, lemme try again. Were the X-men movies alright? Because I don't know those characters too well and aside from them sewing up Deadpool's mouth and having him laser Wolverine and Saber tooth, I don't know if they hosed up or not.

Also, Did Ip Man 3 seriously do the Jin Shanzhao motivation again at the end but with two people using the same martial arts style?

edit:spelling. loving phone autocorrect

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Sep 11, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RareAcumen posted:

Since I managed to spawn multiple pages of discussion on why the Hobbit trilogy was a mess, lemme try again. Were the X-men movies alright? Because I don't know those characters too well and aside from them seeing up Deadpool's mouth and having him laser Wolverine and Saber tooth, I don't know if they hosed up or not.

Also, Did Ip Man 3 seriously do the Jin Shanzhao motivation again at the end but with hot people using the same martial arts style?

The first two X-Men movies are pretty good (though the first is a bit slow). The third is an awful mess. Origins: Wolverine is real bad, First Class is good. Days of Future Past is good fun, I liked how it didn't bother with a ton of exposition about the characters and just dove into the story. Can't speak for any of the others as I've not seen them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

The first two X-Men movies are pretty good (though the first is a bit slow). The third is an awful mess. Origins: Wolverine is real bad, First Class is good. Days of Future Past is good fun, I liked how it didn't bother with a ton of exposition about the characters and just dove into the story. Can't speak for any of the others as I've not seen them.

Pretty much this, and also Deadpool is decent though pretty periphery to things (and notes it) and doesn't really hold up as well on rewatch, and Logan is great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try to find the workprint version of Wolverine Origins. It's one of the most hysterical things I've seen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh...to the contrary i think you could easily flip that. Yoda was saying that if they found one Sith there had to be another, either his Master or Apprentice (Hell obi wan even helpfully blurts out "which one?!")

EU authors took this statement literally as there could only possibly ever be 2 ever.

It's also a recurring plotpoint through every movie he's in that Yoda is an idiot. His "wisdom" is just nonsense that makes things worse for everyone. He doesn't know anything substantial about Sith or how to combat them, and only by disobeying Yoda is Luke able to save the galaxy with his father. Under his guidance both Jedi and Republic fall.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fil5000 posted:

The Wolverine is also OK. Especially watching Logan tank a nuclear bomb, which was also a pretty horrifying part of the movie because it was one of the bombs dropped on Japan in WW2.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

This was my thinking as well, hence the confusion. SW is dumb, but I like wizards in space, so eh.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The only x-men movies worth watching are days of future past and first class. The others vary from mediocore and dated (1 and 2) to just loving bad (everything else). Logan/Deadpool aren't really x-men movies as much as movies that have mutants in them, but they are also quite good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

See Im ok with this if the plot of the film is that characters are surprised by it/unable to understand it, but in Slevin a) you as an audience member are supposed to be surprised so including it undermines the films point and b) one of the films villains antagonists could speak Hebrew so him not noticihg it immediately is really confusing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bussamove posted:

Yeah that was one of the major focal points in the original movie, and maybe the book but it's been like two decades since I read that. Pennywise is only seen by people he wants to be seen by.

It's not even so much that he selectively appears to people. One of the themes of the novel is that the stuff going on with the kids is just beneath the notice of adults. It's not that the adults don't see, it's that they don't *care* or appreciate the significance. Like, that's not a violent and psychopathic bully using a penknife to carve his name into some kid's abdomen, it's just kids horsing around, boys will be boys and all that.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Sep 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wonder Woman has quite the easter egg for Blackfoot speakers. (which is apparently a couple thousand people?)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

That is some flimsy evidence but also making her Obi-Wan's daughter is the kind of dumb poo poo I fully expect. She is definitely the child of somebody important in the tiny Star Wars universe.

As someone who has yet to see the movie at all is they're going to make her a Palpatine grandchild or something. But here's been my logic for that: The first film series dealt mostly with Luke coming to terms with 'daddy was a bad man' and Leia never really had any of that sort of story in the OT. Making Rey something like Palpatine's granddaughter gives her that same storyline of Luke, except she won't get the redemption bit for him at the end.

Fil5000 posted:

I also still contend that X3 was screwed up because everyone sort of assumed in 2005 all of the cast was getting too old, too popular and too expensive to bring back for another film and it was going to be the last full-on X-Men movie before a reboot with an all-new cast. As such, they had to put everything in there to make sure they threw in as many things from the franchise so they could be in the movie in some way: Juggernaut, Danger Room, Fastball Special, Sentinels, Phoenix, Original Five members, etc.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

JediTalentAgent posted:

As someone who has yet to see the movie at all is they're going to make her a Palpatine grandchild or something.

Impossible, she doesn't have three eyes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TenCentFang posted:

If it means we get to see the Moffs bidding each other dark greetings at their Mofference on the Moffship, it is a worthwhile sacrifice.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wonder Woman has quite the easter egg for Blackfoot speakers. (which is apparently a couple thousand people?)

Hahaha YES as a Blackfoot speaker I really enjoyed this! Go ahead and tell everyone else about it though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The inscription on her sword says "lmao I don't do poo poo 420 erryda"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TenCentFang posted:

That was her father. Her mother was a cyclops. It balances out in the end.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In Westworld (TV, not movie), they make a pretty big deal of a character choosing to close the piano lid that has always been playing. Then it cuts to another scene in the same brothel, focusing on the same character, but you can see in the background that the piano lid is open! It may be a subtle commentary that even when making seemingly conscious decisions to go against their programming, they are still actually bound to it. Or more likely it was just filmed out of order and ignored. I think the latter.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Westworld is just R-Rated Hey Dude.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha YES as a Blackfoot speaker I really enjoyed this! Go ahead and tell everyone else about it though.

Wonder Woman "spoilers" : The character "Chief" is actually a Native American demi-god, Napi.. It has no real bearing on the plot at all, but it definitely affects how you interpret everything that character says.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is that the Super Friend who grows big?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvh_gsm0DI

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Not since that coffee was spilled on his lap.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rydiafan posted:

Not since that coffee was spilled on his lap.

And wow it was hot.

On his lap.

Hotness. Crotch. Ooouuch.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Stayne Falls posted:

Wonder Woman "spoilers" : The character "Chief" is actually a Native American demi-god, Napi.. It has no real bearing on the plot at all, but it definitely affects how you interpret everything that character says.

Is this one of those "well in the comics" things? Or is it in the movie?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He introduces himself in the film as Napi while speaking Blackfoot. There's basically no character traits of the Blackfoot idea of Napi, though, outside of tricking a guy once.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I know reading threads is hard, but it's on this page still.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Probably a repeat, but I hate slime and assorted goos. It's not a in-universe "ooh, I am disturbed by this thing with slime or goo on it", it is a full-on meta "I will look away from this image and wait for it to be over because I am going to hurl otherwise" kind of thing.

The example I most often use for this is the scene where Neo wakes up outside of The Matrix. Him flopping around in a pile of slime is worse than any of the other body horror aspects of that scene. But what inspired me to post this was the iconic moment in the It Miniseries where one of the kids sprays Pennywise with the inhaler. The side of his face melts with slime, and you can see a trail of that stuff actually go into Pennywise's mouth and just thinking about it at the moment is making me full-on nauseous.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Probably a repeat, but I hate slime and assorted goos. It's not a in-universe "ooh, I am disturbed by this thing with slime or goo on it", it is a full-on meta "I will look away from this image and wait for it to be over because I am going to hurl otherwise" kind of thing.

The example I most often use for this is the scene where Neo wakes up outside of The Matrix. Him flopping around in a pile of slime is worse than any of the other body horror aspects of that scene. But what inspired me to post this was the iconic moment in the It Miniseries where one of the kids sprays Pennywise with the inhaler. The side of his face melts with slime, and you can see a trail of that stuff actually go into Pennywise's mouth and just thinking about it at the moment is making me full-on nauseous.
So what you're saying is: you spit because you can't swallow when there's a sausagelike object in your mouth?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

It's not even so much that he selectively appears to people. One of the themes of the novel is that the stuff going on with the kids is just beneath the notice of adults. It's not that the adults don't see, it's that they don't *care* or appreciate the significance. Like, that's not a violent and psychopathic bully using a penknife to carve his name into some kid's abdomen, it's just kids horsing around, boys will be boys and all that.

There's that but the novel also mentions how Pennywise controls the town as in manipulating adults to ignore things. In one part of the book, one of the kids (forgot which but I think it was Bev), she mentions how she was being attacked on the street and an adult that was seeing the scene just got up from his porch, folded his newspaper and went inside. There's other stuff like that, too.