Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Insurrectionist posted:

Siv Jensen has become like some kind of shadow leader or something over here on the northwestern coast, Listhaug is the only FRPer whose statements and appearances and opinions get paraded around everywhere, it's kinda weird. Maybe I'm overestimating the difference in exposure but it's seriously gotten to the point that I temporarily stopped disliking Siv Jensen this past week because I almost forgot she existed at all. I'd love it if this strategy backfired on FRP, but for now an FRP civil-war is only a beautiful dream of far-flung futures.

Hasn't that just been normal FrP tactics since last election?

Have the ministers run around, saying and doing crazy poo poo to appeal to the party fringe while the leadership tries not to piss of Høyre too much. We saw it with Sandberg and Tybring-Gjedde as well. That said, I can see Listhaug gunning for the party leader at some point. Listhaug is building her base within FrP's voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It would be interesting if Frp brought back their party purges.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, have you all done your democratic duty, fellow citizens?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

*comrade

and yes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randarkman posted:

Det kan du ta deg faen på! Haven't missed an election since I was old enough to vote (mumble mumble this would be my ninth time, including local elections). Gives one the right to bitch and complain about the results, if nothing else.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Time to see which lovely party gets to gently caress us over for 4 more years

I will say if H can't beat AP and scrounge together the worlds most fragile coalition after this disaster of a campaign Støre has overseen then lol just lol

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The utilitarian in me wonders if a resounding AP loss + a big boost for the actualt leftist parties would be better in the long run than getting FrP+Høyre out of government. Perhaps AP can be reformed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Biomute posted:

The utilitarian in me wonders if a resounding AP loss + a big boost for the actualt leftist parties would be better in the long run than getting FrP+Høyre out of government. Perhaps AP can be reformed.

this exact thing happened in 2001, and stoltenberg built the red-green coalition in response

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Biomute posted:

"Perhaps Labour can be reformed" - naive Brits, turn of the decade
"gently caress You Got Mine" - 90% of Labour MPs

Not very optimistic things would go better for AP, especially since I doubt there's division in the party anywhere near the size of the one in Labour

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

V. Illych L. posted:

this exact thing happened in 2001, and stoltenberg built the red-green coalition in response

Nice to know. I was not following politics back then, just voted SV as they aligned most with my views at the time (and had a much better leader).

Insurrectionist posted:

"Perhaps Labour can be reformed" - naive Brits, turn of the decade
"gently caress You Got Mine" - 90% of Labour MPs

Not very optimistic things would go better for AP, especially since I doubt there's division in the party anywhere near the size of the one in Labour

Yet Corbyn is making actual headway, despite the rest of the party leadership. Voters/Members can make a difference it would seem.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, yes, we might all be hosed and capitalism will forever find a way to tilt the scales just enough that no real threat to it can ever exist, but maybe there is some hope of achieving some temporary period of social justice before draught and starvation makes the human race devolve into complete anarchy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Biomute posted:

I mean, yes, we might all be hosed and capitalism will forever find a way to tilt the scales just enough that no real threat to it can ever exist, but maybe there is some hope of achieving some temporary period of social justice before draught and starvation makes the human race devolve into complete anarchy.

Someone took their optimism pills this morning!
A big + fat failure on the right of some sort would be nice at least.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Corbyn and Labour shows that socdem parties can be reformed, but Corbyn also shows that you have to get incredibly lucky to actually do it. Remember that Corbyn was a total fluke who only got on the ballot and won because of some supreme arrogance and incompetence on the part of the Blarites and other assorted Labour right morons.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Biomute posted:

Who would lead that reformation though? My Ap leadership knowledge is slim, so I can't think of anyone in the party who has leftist leanings.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grimson posted:

Who would lead that reformation though? My Ap leadership knowledge is slim, so I can't think of anyone in the party who has leftist leanings.

Leaders matter less than you'd think when major strategic decisions are made. Stoltenberg was probably the most right-wing leader labour has ever had, but for his last eight years he was bound by the party to run to the left

Støhre got to attempt a strategic reorientation rowards the centre, but with the way that's blown up the next leader's going to be pushed leftwards by the party regardless of personal conviction

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

Leaders matter less than you'd think when major strategic decisions are made. Stoltenberg was probably the most right-wing leader labour has ever had, but for his last eight years he was bound by the party to run to the left

Støhre got to attempt a strategic reorientation rowards the centre, but with the way that's blown up the next leader's going to be pushed leftwards by the party regardless of personal conviction

I really hope so, but Tajik is not the candidate for that as much as I like her personally. It's looking increasingly likely that AP will never get my vote again so long as they don't even pay lip service to the very real concerns of the left-left.

What's at least patently obvious is that APs current strategi is moronic. Honestly, Støre is the most boring, technocratic Høyre-homonculus front man wannabe-Stoltenberg party leader I can think of. If lack of inspiration had a face, it would be his. How do you attract voters with that? And then he goes and makes it worse by practically erasing the perceivable differences between AP and Høyre. I wouldn't be half surprised if he went into government with Høyre at this point. AP-Høyre coalition and who would be able to tell the difference?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Would the (likely) majority of an AP/Høyre coalition be worse than another full right-wing minority government? They would have more power to force lovely things through but as much as AP are bad they can't exactly be compared to FRP either. Also it would hopefully result in AP bleeding more votes to the left as well which is Cool and Good while pissing off FRP and leaving V/KRF completely irrelevant again which is also Cool and Good.

I mean I don't think it's a realistic possibility at all, just considering the theoretical situation.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tripartism is still strong enough in norway that a grand coalition type affair would be met with massive opposition from both LO and NHO, i'd put literally all my money on it not happening barring a national emergency like war or something

besides, both parties need the other as an opponent. the leader has power to guide policy and manouever around their party, but norwegian parties are powerful institutions, and for good and bad they both can and will discipline errant leaders. again, stoltenberg is a good example, as were almost all of solberg's predecessors - halvorsen managed to do an end run around her party congress, but she did that with the help of a very well-placed network of people in leadership positions throughout the party. when støhre tried to go anti-oil, LO came crashing down on him and he was forced to retreat. if hareide had it his way, he would've collapsed the government a long loving time ago, but his members will not stand for a formal alliance with the left

really, what seems to be støhre's biggest problem is that he just doesn't Get norwegian politics on a fairly fundamental level. he imagines that he can be president, and he can't. he's alienated huge chunks of his activist base and middle-level party officials, and those are massively important in a way they aren't in e.g. france, which is probably the source of a lot of his misconceptions

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I guess this is it for you Rødt guys though. We'll see if you finally manage to make your way back into parliament (it's been like 25 years since the last brief stint), or if all the members just go ahead and vote "tactically" again.

Myself I voted for the dudes with the guns who want to shoot the wovles.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Randarkman posted:

I guess this is it for you Rødt guys though. We'll see if you finally manage to make your way back into parliament (it's been like 25 years since the last brief stint), or if all the members just go ahead and vote "tactically" again.

Myself I voted for the dudes with the guns who want to shoot the wovles.

Wolves would pose no threat if people would actually bother to look after their goddamn sheep.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Avirosb posted:

Wolves would pose no threat if people would actually bother to look after their goddamn sheep.

I'm not voting for them because of the wolves.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I've just been to the polling station. I felt the Bjørn.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Why would you vote for the agrarian fascists

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Why would you vote for the agrarian fascists

I'm mad about regional and municipal reform. I think that's entirely where they have their polling success in the last 6 months from.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randarkman posted:

I'm mad about regional and municipal reform. I think that's entirely where they have their polling success in the last 6 months from.

That, and their party leader's winning laugh.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Avirosb posted:

Speaking of; how big an impact does the existence of wolves have on Norwegian politics? Will the fact that wolves have now resettled Denmark result in a major political upheaval? Will the right split into people afraid of wolves, and ones that don't live in Jutland?

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Voted last week. FRP ofc. Will be back here later tonight and laugh.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of; how big an impact does the existence of wolves have on Norwegian politics? Will the fact that wolves have now resettled Denmark result in a major political upheaval? Will the right split into people afraid of wolves, and ones that don't live in Jutland?

It's mostly just that there is a small debate going on where you have angry farmers in Hedmark and Østfold and other places, mostly bordering Sweden (that's where the wolves come in from) demanding that the government raise the quota on how many wolves they can legally kill, and they are supported in this mostly by Sp (who are very loud about it). Then at the same time you have people in the cities voting SV, V, R and MDG smugly telling them that they understand nothing about nature and they should be happy that wolves are back.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Just hire some Poles to scare the wolves away. It's the bears you need to look out for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

It's mostly just that there is a small debate going on where you have angry farmers in Hedmark and Østfold and other places, mostly bordering Sweden (that's where the wolves come in from) demanding that the government raise the quota on how many wolves they can legally kill, and they are supported in this mostly by Sp (who are very loud about it). Then at the same time you have people in the cities voting SV, V, R and MDG smugly telling them that they understand nothing about nature and they should be happy that wolves are back.
I think you're downplaying the issue, it comes up way too often in discussions about Norwegian politics for it to not be a major issue!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Excuse me I think you'll find this smug R voter telling them they understand nothing about nature lives on the rural coast :smuggo:

But regardless of side, the fact that only a small part of the population actually cares about the issue at all does make it kind of a limited cause to rally around, if effective for its scale in Sp's case

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I live in one of the least densely populated counties in Norway. I will smugly tell you to Let The Wolves Live

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Such an irony when you're called the "center party" and is anti-wolf but the wolves do gently caress all except along the border.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Avirosb posted:

Such an irony when you're called the "center party" and is anti-wolf but the wolves do gently caress all except along the border.

That's how you know their politics are effective, the center is free of wolves already

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wolves are just big dogs. We shouldn't be killing dogs. :saddowns:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

We're Norwegians, we'll kill any animals we drat well please, and that includes the whales those foreigners are so worried about.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wolves need no armour

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Voted last week. FRP ofc. Will be back here later tonight and laugh.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
gently caress, and here I went and voted for SP and everything. First time voter too.
The pamphlet they sent* me never mentioned anything about wolf-killing, I had forgotten all about that.
Oh well, don't worry, voting was a gruelling exercise, I shan't make a habit of it.

*They were the only ones to send me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biomute posted:

The problem with that line of thinking is that it fucks over anyone that isn't wealthy, white and male.