Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The first 5 minutes of 4 Corners made me angry.

WE NEED TO BOMB THE DPRK BECAUSE THEY ARE EVIL AND RUN BY EVIL PEOPLE AND WE NEED TO BOMB THEM NOW QUICK LETS START ANOTHER WAR BECAUSE HE WILL KILL YOU OTHERWISE. Everything is described in the worst terms and language. THEY HAVE A RUTHLESS PURSUIT OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS. Just like every OTHER country that has them. Like our friends and allies.

Our leader bought the PM for 2 measly 2 million bucks of someone else's money. What a wanker.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice :)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Comstar posted:

The first 5 minutes of 4 Corners made me angry.

WE NEED TO BOMB THE DPRK BECAUSE THEY ARE EVIL AND RUN BY EVIL PEOPLE AND WE NEED TO BOMB THEM NOW QUICK LETS START ANOTHER WAR BECAUSE HE WILL KILL YOU OTHERWISE. Everything is described in the worst terms and language.

I hear those missles will be able to reach Australia!

We totally won't destabilize another chunk of the planet with this war.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/damning-report-on-alleged-corruption-by-nsw-water-official/8892208

The four corners story on the NSW government helping people steal water is producing change

I'm surprised that in 2017 we've been relying on the honour system regarding the use of a finite natural resource. Would meters be much better, though? How easy is it to tamper with a meter when there's noone around to see you do it?

Metres seems wasteful, you only need a foot for the drop if you tied the noose properly

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Speaking of NBN HFC: after 2 full months of pissfarting around with missed appointments, "technical delays due to unexpected outages" and the like, the connection was finally enabled today. Much to my surprise, it's working. It's a fair bit faster than Optus HFC was, even with the 100 Mbps speed pack. Does not seem optimised for gaming though - very bad and jerky connections to Overwatch servers in testing so far. Hopefully this is due to other factors and not just how this connection is fated to be.

Can confirm that hardware-wise you have one small box that the cable terminates at, which connects by ethernet to the actual modem. Both require power. Your existing landline phone (which I don't actually want, but it's not optional, apparently) connects to the modem which converts all voice traffic to VOIP.

This is literally the only option here. The only choice I get is which internet reseller to use. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the massive downtime issues I've heard about from a lot of NBN customers so far. We'll see, I guess.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
NK doesn't want a large scale war, just as much as the rest of the world doesn't want a large scale war. If NK give the yanks an excuse to go full force against them- they're hosed. The yanks will simply turn NK into glass in a moment's notice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it looks like the phone has to come out of the Huawei piece of poo poo. Our existing router can do VoIP, but iiNet doesn't let you set up voip on anything but their supplied device, which is, as I may have mentioned before, infamously lovely. Apparently if you bridge routers it disables VoIP, too. I might just DMZ the huawei to our existing and fully route from there instead, though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SadisTech posted:

Speaking of NBN HFC: after 2 full months of pissfarting around with missed appointments, "technical delays due to unexpected outages" and the like, the connection was finally enabled today. Much to my surprise, it's working. It's a fair bit faster than Optus HFC was, even with the 100 Mbps speed pack. Does not seem optimised for gaming though - very bad and jerky connections to Overwatch servers in testing so far. Hopefully this is due to other factors and not just how this connection is fated to be.

Can confirm that hardware-wise you have one small box that the cable terminates at, which connects by ethernet to the actual modem. Both require power. Your existing landline phone (which I don't actually want, but it's not optional, apparently) connects to the modem which converts all voice traffic to VOIP.

This is literally the only option here. The only choice I get is which internet reseller to use. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the massive downtime issues I've heard about from a lot of NBN customers so far. We'll see, I guess.

Have you considered becoming a Hanzo main?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Ditch iiNet for starters.

I've been with them since 2000 and I'm dropping them for Exetel for the new house. Aussie Broadband are also apparently great but expensive.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, if I was a scumbag dictator, I would want to become a nuclear state before some scumbag president decides they need somewhere to invade when the polls are down.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I love how years later the Coalition are clinging on to Keating era HFC wiring to claim they are making internet speeds faster.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

iinet was pretty good up until TPG bought them out and they had the courage to up their unlimited broadband plan from 49.95 per month to 79.95.

TPG: Turds Poo Gonorrhea.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
hoo boy

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/why-should-we-fight-for-marriage-when-its-been-so-bad-for-so-many-women-20170910-gyeej4.html

quote:

Why should we fight for marriage when it's been so bad for so many women?

Caroline Norma

The same-sex marriage campaign makes me wonder when my fellow Australian lesbians lost their political backbone? Where's the sparky radicalism of the gay and lesbian community? When did chasing after marriage become our life's work? Or for that matter any feminists' work?

Our heterosexual sisters must be wondering why we're so keen to dignify an institution – which for so many women has led to violence from their partners and drudgery for themselves. They surely notice the hypocrisy; lesbians becoming cheerleaders for an institution which has caused so many so much pain.

We get the "gold rings and honeymoon" appeal of marriage; but I feel embarrassed for our collective selves that the public now sees us as grovelling for the chance to wear white wedding dresses. How are women going to recognise lesbianism as an alternative to heterosexuality, if they don't see us protesting against institutions that have been harmful to us: like marriage, prostitution and the nuclear family?

The "yes" campaign's slogan "love is love" equates marriage with love when many married women experience it as anything but love. The slogan trivialises the heroic efforts of some who have had to escape the institution. Some like Sri Lankan-born doctor Chamari Liyanage who was sentenced for killing her abusive husband by beating him with a heavy metal mallet. A husband that a judge described as a "manipulative and merciless offender".

In the same year, another wife in Queensland, after being stabbed by her husband 71 times, threw herself on their nine-year-old daughter to stop him similarly attempting to stab her to death. Both survivors – like so many others – now live with injury and trauma because of their marriages.

The "yes" campaign casts rainbows and throws glitter over an institution that many women and children struggle to survive. It romanticises a pre-modern social arrangement that secures most men a wife and all the perks that come with husbandhood: sexual servicing, household labour and public esteem disguising all manner of wrongdoing.

It peddles pro-marriage propaganda that lesbians, of all people, should not support. We should remember why we became lesbians in the first place, and reflect on our own heroic efforts to evade the social role fixed for females worldwide. Marriage is a conservative institution developed in order to organise the servitude of women. For many women it remains so.

Women see state sponsorship of sexual relationships as a safeguard of their interests in children and property held in common with men. But this guarantee is a mirage. The frequent experience of mothers losing custody of children to sexually abusive former husbands, for example, now sees Rosie Batty and Hetty Johnston campaigning for a royal commission into family violence.

Israeli parliamentarian and women's rights' campaigner Merav Michaeli is in Australia advocating for the "cancellation" of marriage (including the same-sex kind) because of the lifetime of unpaid labour and unequal wages she feels the institution forces upon wives. She says it is an outdated concept, which usually involved a contract between two men – a husband and a father – over the rights of a woman.

Similarly, University of Cambridge philosopher Clare Chambers in her recently published Against Marriage: An Egalitarian Defence of the Marriage-Free State advocates the abolition of marriage because, even if the "most egregious aspects of legal inequality in marriage no longer apply in liberal democratic states", still "marriage remains an institution of inequality'" It's a Victorian middle-class invention she says – usually not in favour of the wife.

In Australia, marriage equality campaigning rages, while on TV farmers and bachelors are being offered their pick of wives from parades of immaculately presented young women. The wedding industry booms here, and women abandoning their surnames upon marriage continues unabated. In this conservative climate, there is every temptation for lesbians to assimilate. But now, more than ever, we must vote no in the postal plebiscite to register our protest at marriage; it's hurt us for too long.

Dr Caroline Norma is a research fellow with the Centre for Global Research at RMIT University.

Shots fired from the second wave radicals anti-transgender wing (source: http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2015/10/28/4340688.htm )

Lid fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 11, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
EDIT: ^^ Oh gently caress off, lady. Yeah, marriage can be bad and is probably obsolete, but let's at least open it up for us all to make the same mistakes equally.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it looks like the phone has to come out of the Huawei piece of poo poo. Our existing router can do VoIP, but iiNet doesn't let you set up voip on anything but their supplied device, which is, as I may have mentioned before, infamously lovely. Apparently if you bridge routers it disables VoIP, too. I might just DMZ the huawei to our existing and fully route from there instead, though.

I work above what I believe is a Huawei R&D office, I'll send your telepathic hate-waves their way tomorrow.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

We should remember why we became lesbians in the first place

Lol, yikes.

I feel like writing something opposing gay marriage from an unusual viewpoint is a 100% guaranteed ticket to getting the media to pay you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of words written by a crazy person. Let me summarize:

"I had a bad experience so nobody should be allowed to have any experiences remotely similar in any way shape or form".

She's right though. Segregate all adults from any physical contact or they go to room 101. All mating may only occur under the watching presence of a tactical response squad with a K-9 unit.

The K-9 unit should be rabid, straining at it's chain and barking a lot.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

:stare:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Cool, fascists: https://www.austranati.com/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

These No Campaign spin doctors are working overtime.

I wonder what they will think of next?

Gay Marriage causes electricity prices to rise?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

An Australian movement that advocates the protection of Australian identity rooted in predominantly Christian traditions.

:ironicat:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I mean there are arguments for abolishing the institution of marriage altogether that I'd largely probably agree with (the fact that spousal rape was legal here until the early 90s speaks to how partriarchaly hosed up it is even in modern terms), but "keep it as is but lock gays out of it because it kind of sucks" isn't really it

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

The Before Times posted:

An Australian movement that advocates the protection of Australian identity rooted in predominantly Christian traditions.

:ironicat:

The video on the front page is pretty hilarious too. It's a whole bunch of knights, spartans, and literal nazis driving around in tanks. :australia:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

DancingShade posted:

A lot of words written by a crazy person. Let me summarize:

"I had a bad experience so nobody should be allowed to have any experiences remotely similar in any way shape or form".

She's right though. Segregate all adults from any physical contact or they go to room 101. All mating may only occur under the watching presence of a tactical response squad with a K-9 unit.

The K-9 unit should be rabid, straining at it's chain and barking a lot.

She's not crazy, she's one of the last of the feminist right (though ostensibly left) second wave. She had a book published with Melinda Tankard Reist, the feminist you want to get who also is anti-sex and an evangelical christian and published a book about women regretting abortions, entitled Prostitution Narratives - about how it must be outlawed or the Nordic Model because of these stories.

http://www.spinifexpress.com.au/Bookstore/book/id=285/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what do 'research fellows' like this actually do

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

wew lad.... "Christian traditions" as we stand on the land of one of the OLDEST civilizations on this planet- being FIFTY THOUSAND YEARS OLD.

Looking at one of the youtube video's on their website triggers me....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwd06bxDNM

read the comments- if you dare.

I respond with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTVOz-RnUAw

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 11, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

excuse me. fascist are not cool.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

excuse me. fascist are not cool.

Can confirm, gently caress fascists. And their pathetic philosophy,

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Assuming these fascists have a philosophy is very generous.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

She's not crazy, she's one of the last of the feminist right (though ostensibly left) second wave. She had a book published with Melinda Tankard Reist, the feminist you want to get who also is anti-sex and an evangelical christian and published a book about women regretting abortions, entitled Prostitution Narratives - about how it must be outlawed or the Nordic Model because of these stories.

http://www.spinifexpress.com.au/Bookstore/book/id=285/

Scratch that, I was wrong - she just loving bonkers.

https://twitter.com/CarolineNorma76/status/906504424364720128
https://twitter.com/CarolineNorma76/status/906886377622487040

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Please tell me she also has a home completely filled with cats.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Now I've dived into a rabbit hole I didn't even know existed, transgenderism is eugenics.

https://theconversation.com/eugenics-and-the-practice-of-transgendering-children-3838

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well it's a good thing that the Sydney Morning Herald legitimised her bonkers views with their patronage.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/BritEugCouncil

So this whole philosophy is that transgenderism doesn't exist and that it's homosexuality being surgically reassigned for heteronormative reasons, also its eugenics.

https://twitter.com/CarolineNorma76/status/907180909966721025

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Congrats on discovering TERFs, it's a hell of a rabbit hole

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I knew about TERFs but most of their arguments only got so far as "they aren't women", this is a whole nother layer of crazy

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Most trans women are lesbians or bisexuals though, if anything it's a massive push towards more gayness.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Welcome to TERF Mental Gymnastics then.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8n_zvyMeQ

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If that doesn't work then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SeIpZDREHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/sep/11/coalition-to-allow-government-backed-loans-to-coalmines-as-banks-hesitant

Seriously? You can't make this poo poo up

• Locked thread