Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

poptart_fairy posted:

An NPC in Destiny called Lord Shaxx is one of the game's PVP equipment vendors, and handles quests relating to that aspect of the game. He's literally incapable of talking at anything less than full volume, and will bellow at players when they go near him in the social hubs.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T CONCENTRATE WHEN I'M SHOUTING?

It's worth pointing out that Shaxx has a really cultured semi-British accent while he's doing all this max volume bellowing.

He also has a horned helmet and furred collar on his high-tech semi-space-magic power armor.

Shaxx is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've been BioEnchanted-ing it up recently. Tried out Driver for the Gameboy Color. For a PS1 game that had to be heavily reworked to make it on the Gameboy, it plays remarkably well. It's a top-down almost direct clone of the first Grand Theft Auto, only you sequentially play missions like they're levels in a traditional game. They're all bundled together to take place in one of three world maps, so as you go for mission to mission you start recognising parts of the city you've driven through before. And considering the simplicity, they actually get quite a good mileage out of the variety of missions you do. Generally it's a time attack 'get from point A to B' affair, but sometimes you'll have to use the roads to tail a boat on the river, sometimes you have to total 5 other cars within 5 minutes.

The thing that struck me most was the police mechanics. For story reasons (not that there's much of any story), you commit felonies and automatically get the police's attention. Though sometimes you just happened to hit a car, which isn't a big deal most of the time, right next to a black Cop Car, which is bad. Either way, you get dinged on your felony meter and any police that spawns will be right on your rear end. Though a great thing that they do is give an audio signal for if the police are actually tailing you, the signal being a decent facsimile of a Police Siren. And it does fade in and out the closer and farther you are from any given cop car. Which was surprising since I've only ever heard audio on the game boy being used in a more binary fashion, rather than fading in organically as it does in this one.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Polaron posted:

It's worth pointing out that Shaxx has a really cultured semi-British accent while he's doing all this max volume bellowing.

He also has a horned helmet and furred collar on his high-tech semi-space-magic power armor.

Shaxx is the best.

So, he's Space Brian Blessed.

Sounds legit.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

An NPC in Destiny called Lord Shaxx is one of the game's PVP equipment vendors, and handles quests relating to that aspect of the game. He's literally incapable of talking at anything less than full volume, and will bellow at players when they go near him in the social hubs.

Shaxx going ballistic when you go on a 10 killstreak in the first game is still one of my favorite soundbites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6eUuKf5ZNY

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Polaron posted:

Shaxx is the best.

He also has a giant flaming sword and is just so enthusiastic about everything and loses his poo poo when you do good in PVP. :negative: It's going to be a long month and a half.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I just got Titanfall 2 and I saw that there is a banner called "Good Boy" with a dog on it. How could anybody ever not equip this? Especially when you're playing as the ARES space-nazis.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Just before the last act of Transistor the combat was getting tedious. As much as I loved the presentation, I was considering stopping. Then this perfectly smarmy douche starts radioing you (heavy spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DviyuGNeWc
And then I knew I wouldn't be able to quit playing until I got the chance to hit that guy. Probably my favorite antagonist voice acting in a game.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

FebrezeNinja posted:

Just before the last act of Transistor the combat was getting tedious. As much as I loved the presentation, I was considering stopping. Then this perfectly smarmy douche starts radioing you (heavy spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DviyuGNeWc
And then I knew I wouldn't be able to quit playing until I got the chance to hit that guy. Probably my favorite antagonist voice acting in a game.

:allears:

Supergiant Games is so wonderful with their audio stuff

The first track to the bastion soundtrack is an awesome extra to that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLA0vB9LCTM

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
e: Thought I was posting in the other PYF game thread, my bad thoughts do not belong here. Instead have these:

The very ending to Nier: Automata is really wonderful and the game might have my favorite soundtrack -- and use of a soundtrack -- ever.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Sep 11, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

e: Thought I was posting in the other PYF game thread, my bad thoughts do not belong here. Instead have these:

The very ending to Nier: Automata is really wonderful and the game might have my favorite soundtrack -- and use of a soundtrack -- ever.

I do not regret paying for the early Japanese copy of Automata's soundtrack with the hacking tracks for a single second because I love it, the variations of each track it has and enjoy listening to it as much as any of the other CDs I own. I think my personal favorite bit is the full fade-in version of the carnival music with all the different parts and vocals.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
My favorite little thing in Nier is the soundtrack, which I still like better than the Automata soundtrack

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Polaron posted:

Shaxx is the best.

So is he voiced by Brian Blessed or did the producers of the game gently caress up royally?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

TontoCorazon posted:

:allears:

Supergiant Games is so wonderful with their audio stuff

The first track to the bastion soundtrack is an awesome extra to that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLA0vB9LCTM

I could listen to the narrator in Pyre berate me all day.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Overminty posted:

I could listen to the narrator in Pyre berate me all day.

How is Pyre anyway?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FebrezeNinja posted:

Didn't know Owen Wilson and Jeff Goldblum had a kid together.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tumble posted:

I just got Titanfall 2 and I saw that there is a banner called "Good Boy" with a dog on it. How could anybody ever not equip this? Especially when you're playing as the ARES space-nazis.
the best part of that is that it's a relatively recent addition. One famous player/streamer/whatever lost his beloved dog recently and fans campaigned Respawn to immortalise his dog in-game. They did. That's him. He's a good boy forever now

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

poptart_fairy posted:

I was playing a Crucible match of Point Capture in Destiny 2 last night and fired a rocket into a room that had a point and managed to wipe the whole opposing team. 4 or 5 different voice lines triggered and played over each other. The last I heard was Shaxx shouting ALL OF THEM?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

How is Pyre anyway?
It's good

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LHIiSC9h0

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I do not regret paying for the early Japanese copy of Automata's soundtrack with the hacking tracks for a single second because I love it, the variations of each track it has and enjoy listening to it as much as any of the other CDs I own. I think my personal favorite bit is the full fade-in version of the carnival music with all the different parts and vocals.

I love Birth of a Wish and its variations, and Weight of the World sends tingles up my spine every time I hear it (goddamn how can one song twist in meaning so many times), but the sweeping majesty of Beauvoir just floors me every time. They made extraordinary use of their vocalists, particularly J'Nique Nicole.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jerry Cotton posted:

So is he voiced by Brian Blessed or did the producers of the game gently caress up royally?

Nah, he's voiced by Lennie James: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0416694/?ref_=tt_cl_t14

It almost works better because his voice is naturally less...Forceful...Than Blessed's. The result is that Shaxx just has very little volume control between normal conversation and BREAK THEM, GUARDIAN! and it's hilarious.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, Destiny 2 good? I played 1 for a bit, but it was at the tail end of Taken King so I never got to max level and I petered out on everything.

Actual content: been playing the poo poo out of MHXX, and I remembered you can go into Palico Prowler mode as a "weapon". It makes every and all gathering quests the best thing because you don't have to bring in any items, your gathering tools are infinite, and you don't have to worry about temperature effects. Plus, because of the reduced damage (if you don't go balls-crazy and turn it into your main weapon) it makes the "kill 10 lesser enemies" quests fresh. It's a really nice addition to the game, and I forgot how much fun I had with it from my time in Generations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somfin posted:

I love Birth of a Wish and its variations, and Weight of the World sends tingles up my spine every time I hear it (goddamn how can one song twist in meaning so many times), but the sweeping majesty of Beauvoir just floors me every time. They made extraordinary use of their vocalists, particularly J'Nique Nicole.

Yeah, I haven't even played the game very much (my aging PC just can't manage it), but Weight of the World just kills me every time I listen to it. The soundtracks for those games are ludicrously on point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pulp rag posted:

So, Destiny 2 good?

There's still content that hasn't become available yet (most importantly the raid) but the PVE stuff so far is way more focused than in the first game. PVP has a stronger focus on teamwork and as a result is much harder to play casually or alone.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the best part of that is that it's a relatively recent addition. One famous player/streamer/whatever lost his beloved dog recently and fans campaigned Respawn to immortalise his dog in-game. They did. That's him. He's a good boy forever now

welp now i really am stuck using it forever and ever

also Titanfall 2 is really really good, i love the addition of NPC grunts to slaughter in PVP multiplayer. it makes you feel like a badass even if you aren't in first place.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tumble posted:

also Titanfall 2 is really really good, i love the addition of NPC grunts to slaughter in PVP multiplayer. it makes you feel like a badass even if you aren't in first place.

The original Titanfall had grunts to slaughter in PvP (which is basically the entire game, other than the horde mode they added later). Is there something else they added as well?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

The Midniter posted:

The original Titanfall had grunts to slaughter in PvP (which is basically the entire game, other than the horde mode they added later). Is there something else they added as well?

no i just meant for a game to have in general. i never played the first one

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
This channel is really great for easter eggs, it's crazy how people find some of this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oR2nazWjMY

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So I finally beat Prey and it's a fantastic game that I pretty much started replaying immediately as soon as I beat it and it made me appreciate one element of the opening even more:

As part of the fake-out of a typical game opening your character has to answer a series of multiple choice questions as part of a personality test. One of the parts is a series of questions that are a twist on the the trolley problem, asking if you would divert a train to save all the passengers if it would kill someone or the track of if you would be willing to push a fat man in the path of a train to stop it from crashing or even leap in front of it yourself. At first I thought this was just them being cheeky and making a reference to an actual popular experiment and contemporary meme but this actually turns out to be the entire game's plot in a microcosm since the game is ultimately about whether you would sacrifice Talos I and all the people on it and all the potential human advancement that could come from your research to make absolutely sure that you weren't wiped out by the Typhoids, and also since the events of the game were effectively just one giant morality test for the player character all along.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tarantula posted:

This channel is really great for easter eggs, it's crazy how people find some of this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oR2nazWjMY

Was not expecting a random easter egg video on Youtube to make me incredibly sad. :(

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Guy Mann posted:

So I finally beat Prey and it's a fantastic game that I pretty much started replaying immediately as soon as I beat it and it made me appreciate one element of the opening even more:

As part of the fake-out of a typical game opening your character has to answer a series of multiple choice questions as part of a personality test. One of the parts is a series of questions that are a twist on the the trolley problem, asking if you would divert a train to save all the passengers if it would kill someone or the track of if you would be willing to push a fat man in the path of a train to stop it from crashing or even leap in front of it yourself. At first I thought this was just them being cheeky and making a reference to an actual popular experiment and contemporary meme but this actually turns out to be the entire game's plot in a microcosm since the game is ultimately about whether you would sacrifice Talos I and all the people on it and all the potential human advancement that could come from your research to make absolutely sure that you weren't wiped out by the Typhoids, and also since the events of the game were effectively just one giant morality test for the player character all along.

Wait until you see the name of the achievement you get for killing your brother.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Hopping on the BioEnchanted train and playing Undertale, which was sitting in my GoG library for a year before I finally started playing it.

The whole thing is really Little Things: The Game. :allears: There's a lot of attention paid to things like music and facial expressions that push the boundaries of the game to its limits.

One tame example of many: When you arrive in someone's home, there's a set of plants whose name your character doesn't know. If you explore around and check your host's room, on the bookshelf there's a book that identifies the plant. When your character checks the plant again, they now know what it is and calls it by name.

If anything the game really deserved its critical acclaim.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

pulp rag posted:

So, Destiny 2 good? I played 1 for a bit, but it was at the tail end of Taken King so I never got to max level and I petered out on everything.

Actual content: been playing the poo poo out of MHXX, and I remembered you can go into Palico Prowler mode as a "weapon". It makes every and all gathering quests the best thing because you don't have to bring in any items, your gathering tools are infinite, and you don't have to worry about temperature effects. Plus, because of the reduced damage (if you don't go balls-crazy and turn it into your main weapon) it makes the "kill 10 lesser enemies" quests fresh. It's a really nice addition to the game, and I forgot how much fun I had with it from my time in Generations.

I only played 2's demo so I don't have much to go on, but starting the first game at Taken King was a weird point to hop on because they'd changed a lot of basic game mechanics for it but none of the early story quests so as a result the first few quests were probably the hardest ones in the game and you were entering a game where most of the people were already god-kings with everything and there was nothing you could really do until you did the grind to max level because the game had been built around the incremental level cap increases.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

I only played 2's demo so I don't have much to go on, but starting the first game at Taken King was a weird point to hop on because they'd changed a lot of basic game mechanics for it but none of the early story quests so as a result the first few quests were probably the hardest ones in the game and you were entering a game where most of the people were already god-kings with everything and there was nothing you could really do until you did the grind to max level because the game had been built around the incremental level cap increases.

This can be a problem with many MMOs. I started FF14 recently and for the new expansion they modified and consolidated a bunch of skills to make it so that even at the new cap at 70 with new skills, you'd only have to manage roughly as many skills as you had at level 60.

This meant that gameplay pre-50 is awfully dull with very few buttons to push and some quests were nonsensical or otherwise more difficult than they'd otherwise be because of skills that no longer existed or no longer had certain effects - for example, a quest for the Scholar class has a segment where you're told to make use of a poison spell that also has a debuff that lowers enemy healing... but said debuff is no longer attached to that spell.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The only way this could be better is if the guy pulls out half a loaf of bread and starts munching on it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm playing Fire Embleing:Echos and i feel like it was a thing this whole time that i'm just now noticing. Dread Fighters, when running into combat, kinda swing their sword in front of themselves as they charge in. If there is some grass or weeds or whatever in the way when they do this, it actually cuts the grass down.

It'a s neat thing in a really neat game.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Screaming Idiot posted:

The only way this could be better is if the guy pulls out half a loaf of bread and starts munching on it.

Or if he randomly died because physics.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Screaming Idiot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On looking into it on a hunch, it just dawned on me what the last regular zone in Sonic Mania did right. It seemed almost anticlimactic to have a game with such a heavy nostalgia focus be original, until I realized what it actually is. I am far from the first person to recognize this, but I still put all the pieces together largely on my own.

Titanic Monarch Zone is a pretty striking level visually, being comparable to some classic zones yet utterly unlike them. It bears the most resemblance to Metropolis Zone, with its heavily colored mechanical setting as well as it being loving huge, but it's pretty unique as a level and visually differentiates itself by being clearly set in a futuristic city, ans well as being a lot more focused on rounded slopes and aerial moves. The name is possibly intentionally ridiculous, being kinda thesaurus-abusey in a way that none of the other zones, new or old, were.

So it's entirely new, but with inspiration from older levels. But then the main ingredients came together.

-Most resembles Metropolis Zone
-High-tech city
-Lot of rounded slopes, aerial play, has some pinball elements
-Ridiculous name
-Big and difficult
-In a game so willing to make esoteric pulls that they built an entire level around a single beta Sonic 2 screenshot

There was a planned single-act zone that became part of Metropolis, that was likely meant to be intimidating and long. The one image we have of it is of Sonic mid-jump off a rounded slope. The visual design of that zone eventually got reused for one of Sonic Spinball's levels, but most people who know anything about it never went beyond its astoundingly insane name, that reportedly came from thesaurus abuse.

Titanic Monarch is Genocide City.