Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, what's with Irondrakes getting a bad rap? Whether you can actually effectively use them in MP is always a wash, but it looks like CA buffed them enough in vanilla now that charging them head-on with anything with Big 'Un armor or less is a stupid idea.

I just held a GCCM bridge against a swarm of Night Goblins with 2 Irondrake squads and it reminded me of good times from older Total War chokepoint battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Just wanna talk about another low effort setting thing, Araby. Their only character of note is disneys jafar. In TWW 2 its just brettonian crusader states, which isn't a bad workaround to be fair, cause the only army list they had was for warmaster and it was kinda generic poo poo.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Fizzil posted:

Just wanna talk about another low effort setting thing, Araby. Their only character of note is disneys jafar. In TWW 2 its just brettonian crusader states, which isn't a bad workaround to be fair, cause the only army list they had was for warmaster and it was kinda generic poo poo.

This is why I don't understand why people are so excited for Kislev, Nippon, Araby or Cathay. They all seem pretty generic, reading the lore and some of the unit lists a month ago I just don't see the appeal. I am guessing its fans of the older Total Wars who want their Shogun units and the like in Warhammer? Like I get it that a lot of the factions in Warhammer have silly things but at the same time they also have that cool or grimdark because Warhammer. Arabys flying carpet missile units looks so meh. Kislev has one lord on a bear, and a short paragraph in one of the older editions mentioning 'bear cavalry', ice magic could be cool. But that's about it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Because CA took some scraps about Norsca and turned them into one of the coolest factions in the game. Having more or less creative freedom when it comes to making armies now that Warhammer tabletop is dead is pretty sweet in that aspect. Just having general variety in armies and forces makes the game more interesting.

EDIT: Don't want to turn this into another multi-page discussion of "here's Araby and why it's good" :v:

Also no offence but in terms of generic as poo poo army lists, you cannot get more generic than Brettonia. I'd take flying carpets, elephants, and genies over that anyday.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 11, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jum-Jum posted:

This is why I don't understand why people are so excited for Kislev, Nippon, Araby or Cathay. They all seem pretty generic, reading the lore and some of the unit lists a month ago I just don't see the appeal. I am guessing its fans of the older Total Wars who want their Shogun units and the like in Warhammer? Like I get it that a lot of the factions in Warhammer have silly things but at the same time they also have that cool or grimdark because Warhammer. Arabys flying carpet missile units looks so meh. Kislev has one lord on a bear, and a short paragraph in one of the older editions mentioning 'bear cavalry', ice magic could be cool. But that's about it.

It"s because humans = #1 you goddamned pointy eared dinosaur.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Because CA took some scraps about Norsca and turned them into one of the coolest factions in the game. Having more or less creative freedom when it comes to making armies now that Warhammer tabletop is dead is pretty sweet in that aspect.

Also just general variety in armies and forces makes the game more interesting.

Don't want to turn this into another multi-page discussion of "here's Araby and why it's good" :v:

This is true, but the thing about Norsca is that they took two well known characters from Warriors of Chaos and a bunch of units (War Mammoth, Skinwolves, Fimir) from Monstrous Arcanum and built the faction mostly around that.

There's no equivalent forgeworld supplement that gives a bunch of models and stats for potential Araby characters and monsters so the bar is actually a lot higher than with Norsca. I think we'll probably see Araby still because they've hinted at it but I've got no idea what they're going to do for playable Legendary Lords especially.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Randarkman posted:

It"s because humans = #1 you goddamned pointy eared dinosaur.

That is true... I love destroying those Empire armies with my monster armies... can't wait for Araby!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Why would anyone want to send winged hussars smashing into a horde of orcs as the empress hurls giant bolts of ice? Why would anyone want to trample undead under an elephants tusks while camel-mounted artillery blasts away at a vargheist? I'm falling asleep just thinking about it!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

madmac posted:

There's no equivalent forgeworld supplement that gives a bunch of models and stats for potential Araby characters and monsters so the bar is actually a lot higher than with Norsca. I think we'll probably see Araby still because they've hinted at it but I've got no idea what they're going to do for playable Legendary Lords especially.

As mentioned we'll probably have Jafar, or hopefully we'll have someone that's meant to be Jafar but not called Jafar cause seriously GW why did you name him Jafar.

The other current frontrunners are possibly Al Muktar, who was actually a Dogs of War character but he'd fit the bill for the melee lord. Or the other theorized lord which actually came from the most recent product that Araby featured in, Dread Fleet (we don't talk about Dread Fleet much though), is The Golden Magus.

The Golden Magus is pretty neat, he's a pirate lord whose ship is manned and powered by bound elementals, which actually gives Araby something more to work with. They can have your D&D standard Fire/Air/Water/Earth elementals.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

madmac posted:

This is true, but the thing about Norsca is that they took two well known characters from Warriors of Chaos and a bunch of units (War Mammoth, Skinwolves, Fimir) from Monstrous Arcanum and built the faction mostly around that.

Araby could have fire elementals and air elementals and such as monsters in their army. that's basically kind of what djinn and efreet are and that's a fantasy staple currently not in the game. Furthermore you could have some fun with the historical near eastern incendiary weapons, naptha grenades and siphons, but also mount them on flying carpets and elephants. Grab the roc from Islamic folklore, a gargantuan bird. You could also have some fun with whirling dervishes and such.

I think there's an Araby character from dreadfleet. Thr sultan of the opean seas or something. He might work

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alternatively they could just make up some new people, it's not really hard to make new hams characters.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rocs do already exist in the TT, they're what pull the high elf sky chariots, but since they're not in the game they seem like a good choice for Araby

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

As mentioned we'll probably have Jafar, or hopefully we'll have someone that's meant to be Jafar but not called Jafar cause seriously GW why did you name him Jafar.

in fairness, jafar was also like, a real person (who appears in the arabian nights but not in the aladdin story), so it's not like GW were behaving any worse than disney did on that one

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just want flying carpet air force guys and tons of colorful cavalry, damnit.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
DLC for game 2
Naval warfare

DLC for game 3
Aerial warfare

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

in fairness, jafar was also like, a real person (who appears in the arabian nights but not in the aladdin story), so it's not like GW were behaving any worse than disney did on that one

Warhammer's Jaffar is an evil sorceror with a serpent staff though. I'm gonna say that doesn't describe the real person (who was Harun al-Rashid's chief vizier until he had him executed IIRC)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Ghorst who strikes again!

Between Djinn, war elephants and flying carpets, plus Dervishes as a Wardancer equivalent, you can put down a relatively historical Middle Eastern army in there and it'd be a cool and well-rounded faction.

I mean, Bretonnia is medieval France plus some pegasii, Arthurian/Peers of Charlesmagne heroes and special units, plus magic ladies. Empire is 17th century HRE with wizards, magic priests, gryphons and way more advanced war-machines.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Randarkman posted:

Warhammer's Jaffar is an evil sorceror with a serpent staff though. I'm gonna say that doesn't describe the real person (who was Harun al-Rashid's chief vizier until he had him executed IIRC)

oh for sure they're 100% ripping off disney there

they should rip off arabian nights jafar instead and have him go around solving crimes

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Who even cares about Araby, I'm hoping that by some miracle they end up making Amazons into a proper faction. Material for them has been even more sparse than for Araby (though there's a decent fan-made army book around), but they could make for a pretty fun mix between the styles of Norsca and Wood Elves: Minimal armour, very mobile, powerful but short-ranged shooting (including sun-powered lasers! :science:), and a colourful bestiary including dinosaurs as monsters, pseudo-ostriches as mounts, and sapient gorillas as heavy infantry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
CA pls implement The Worst of All Snakes.

https://twitter.com/SChakrabs/status/905402851903635456

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Perestroika posted:

Who even cares about Araby, I'm hoping that by some miracle they end up making Amazons into a proper faction. Material for them has been even more sparse than for Araby (though there's a decent fan-made army book around), but they could make for a pretty fun mix between the styles of Norsca and Wood Elves: Minimal armour, very mobile, powerful but short-ranged shooting (including sun-powered lasers! :science:), and a colourful bestiary including dinosaurs as monsters, pseudo-ostriches as mounts, and sapient gorillas as heavy infantry.

I don't think Amazons will make it as a full faction, but I can sort of see them popping up as regiments of renown or special units/mercenaries for Tilea/New World Colonies faction down the line.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what is everybody's favorite experience of TW Warhammer 1 before the sequel comes out. For me it is a tie between beating up Archeon with Grimgor in such a way that when I re fought the map I could point out where he was buried, and besieging settlements with multiple war mammoths and watching as they smash through all but the hardest of lines once they breached the gates.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

So what is everybody's favorite experience of TW Warhammer 1 before the sequel comes out. For me it is a tie between beating up Archeon with Grimgor in such a way that when I re fought the map I could point out where he was buried, and besieging settlements with multiple war mammoths and watching as they smash through all but the hardest of lines once they breached the gates.

Hitting a double stack of Dwarves defending their capital with two stacks and a Waaagh of Orcs, and using eight units of Nasty Skulkers to sneak into their town center and sow chaos and kill their arty, making the AI pull their troops off the walls to flee back to town, forefitting the walls to my Black Orcs.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hitting a triple stack of dwarves with a triple stack including Vlad and Manfred and launching the longest TW battle I've ever played. It owned.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't think of a specific example, but for me it's any midgame fight where I barely eke out a win over a numerically superior force. Preferably thanks to lots and lots of guns.

Oh, I actually liked the Fae Enchantress's quest battle quite a lot because I tackled it fairly early on, and while the marauders eventually overwhelmed my chaff infantry and trebuchet positions, my starting unit of Grail Guardians were able to hold them off and rack up well over 400 kills while barely taking a scratch. :black101:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

Man.

Fighting as the Empire against a triple Chaos stack with a Kislevite army coming in as allies. Battles where allies are reinforcing are pretty rare, but they're often memorable and that was the biggest one I've had.

Beating out an army from Zhufbar with a mostly Goblin force that was cobbled together at the last minute because that army was there only to stabilize public order in the World's Edge Mountains when the wardec came. It was one of those victories I felt I had no right achieving, but somehow pulled through.

Also the ending of that same Greenskin campaign, with Grimgor, Skarsnik and Wurrzag each with a thematic army plus Waaaaghs! trampling all over the Empire and meeting the Warriors of Chaos right there for a final showdown.

I will also never get tired of watching Empire gunlines on a hill firing at a horde of enemies.

Oh, burning down all of Norsca as Bretonnia before the Chaos Invasion even triggered was a very cathartic moment.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Red Duke getting butthurt I turned down his efforts to sue for peace for 4000g and and threw hordes of chaff at GCCM Helmgart.

Ended up beating a force of 9200 with 1600ish Defenders.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

e: also from the same battle.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 11, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I like how this is a Heroic Victory, but the one where I lose 17 dudes out of 300 and they lose upwards of 500 is a Close Victory.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

McGavin posted:

I like how this is a Heroic Victory, but the one where I lose 17 dudes out of 300 and they lose upwards of 500 is a Close Victory.

Is because it's based on HP ratios, not casualties.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Basically the best way to be "heroic" in TW logic is to have a massive gun/arty line that shatters the enemy from a distance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically the best way to be "heroic" in TW logic is to have a massive gun/arty line that shatters the enemy from a distance.

Well, that or have a griffon stomp on Archaon and slam a cannonball into a greater daemon's face.

Sigvald's death kind of sucked though. He was just shot to death by handgunners.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Is because it's based on HP ratios, not casualties.

Well I guess it also doesn't subtract regenerated HP from perfectly timed Invocations of Nehek. :sad:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Randarkman posted:

e: also from the same battle.

A very long shot, but you don't happen to have a replay of that, do you?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

A very long shot, but you don't happen to have a replay of that, do you?

I do. However it's from a few weeks at most after the game was released. I don't know if it will even load and it will almost certainly not play out the same way due to stat changes and other updates.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Randarkman posted:

I do. However it's from a few weeks at most after the game was released. I don't know if it will even load and it will almost certainly not play out the same way due to stat changes and other updates.
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether or not old ones would still work. Oh well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

These are the best ones to watch.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

Sigvald's death kind of sucked though. He was just shot to death by handgunners.

Simpering shooters sundered Sigvald, Sliverslash, and other serendipitously sculpted sundries not with sightly swords and slashes but with unseemly sulfer and shot!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
People were saying the same poo poo about Norsca that they're saying about Araby/Cathay now. They made a wood elf faction in the south lands based off of a single paragraph in a 2nd edition supplementary book. If CA decides to make a faction they'll find a way to make them somewhat interesting. Hearing "oh they don't have any big characters in the lore/ no army book" isn't interesting and please god just shut up about what you think will or won't make it in or be a good faction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is still my favourite moment

• Locked thread