Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

The Dave posted:

Yes very important our children learn about Apples strategy for forcing people to pay dumb storage markup.

A lesson in capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I haven't felt like the whole "wait until the first S/revision!" thing has been relevant since the launch of the 6.

Except the rule is wait for the 2nd generation of a new Apple product. (the last one being the Apple Watch and the 2nd generation was superior to the first in almost every way)

I also wouldn't consider the X to be new. It wouldn't surprise me if the internal specs aren't noticeably different from the 8/8+ revision we're also getting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thwomp posted:

I also wouldn't consider the X to be new. It wouldn't surprise me if the internal specs aren't noticeably different from the 8/8+ revision we're also getting.

I mean the main interaction of the OS (Home button) is gone, there's a lot riding on this swiping dock actually being a good experience. In terms of hardware issues you have the whole new screen technology and apple doing edge to edge for the first time.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm willing to give up Touch ID for an oled screen. Despite hating everything about android on a Pixel, that screen ruined me for LCD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thwomp posted:

FaceID is new. TouchID sucked the first year.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm more than willing to wait 12 or 24 months for an edge to edge screen with TouchID embedded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

FaceID is new. TouchID sucked the first year.

No it didn't. :confused:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jealous Cow posted:

I think I'm willing to give up Touch ID for an oled screen. Despite hating everything about android on a Pixel, that screen ruined me for LCD.

is OLED still a huge battery hog? Sure it looks pretty but wouldn't mind an extra chunk of batery life.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

No it didn't. :confused:

It was super slow.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

I mean the main interaction of the OS (Home button) is gone, there's a lot riding on this swiping dock actually being a good experience. In terms of hardware issues you have the whole new screen technology and apple doing edge to edge for the first time.

That's all true but that's also how every new design of the iPhone is perceived. It's just a bigger screen with a new-for-Apple technology that's been already been long established in the smartphone industry. The same could've been said for the jump to the 6/6+ screen size ("how will Apple handle a screen that my thumb can't completely reach?" "About as well as everyone else does")

The last Apple iPhone design revision that truly had an issue was the iPhone 4.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It was super slow.

My 6 is still trucking long with its original TouchID and it's fine. Granted, the 2nd hardware sensor is super-fast but the first one isn't a slouch.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 11, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Yes very important our children learn about Apples strategy for forcing people to pay dumb storage markup.

It's the kind of lesson you have to experience to truly learn from.

Like how you should never ever co-sign something.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It was super slow.

Are you talking about Android? Apple cornered the market on good fingerprint scanners so that first year+ all of the Android versions were significantly worse.

But I think the SE still rocks a 1st gen fingerprint sensor and it's fine. Maybe the software behind it has been refined since the 5S came out, but the hardware still owns bones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

It was super slow.

Gonna disagree on that one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It was super slow compared to what we have now. Maybe it was good for its time but today is today and yesterday was yesterday.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
TouchID will be back in the X-2, the only reason it's gone is their slapfight with Samsung meant they couldn't make enough screens with sensors in them in time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

It was super slow.

It's slower than the current version, sure, but it was still faster than typing a PIN.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm out of the loop, is 8 using the same body as the 7 or is it slightly different? I thought the "tradition" was for numbered phones to get a revised body while S revisions only messed with the internals.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's supposed to get wireless charging and a glass back, right? Haven't really heard much else ...

Also, the 7 was not a new design, so the tradition is already broken.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The mock-up that’s been posted around shows what we’re probably going to get:

All glass all the time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally, a brown phone to go with my Zune.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The mock-up that’s been posted around shows what we’re probably going to get:

All glass all the time

Not sure how I feel about this. I think a small bezel at the top for the speaker and cameras looks infinitely better than having a notch that results in fairly useless screen space.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's the X not the 8. The super-duper OLED phone is the new design, but they are also refreshing the 7 and calling it the 8 instead of the 7S, and that's the one we don't know much about.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

It's supposed to get wireless charging and a glass back, right? Haven't really heard much else ...

Wasn't there a report that it might not even be called a 7S? That we're looking at 8, 8+, and X?

That would make sense if they're changing the design of the non-X models (glass, wireless charging). It might be enough to justify it as a new generation rather than a 6SSS.

Maybe Apple rides out the 8 and the X for two cycles and then the iPhone 9 marks no bezel/home button designs across the board. bezelless iPhone SE for the win

Sock The Great posted:

Not sure how I feel about this. I think a small bezel at the top for the speaker and cameras looks infinitely better than having a notch that results in fairly useless screen space.

It's not useless if you have time and carrier info up there.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wasn't there a report that it might not even be called a 7S? That we're looking at 8, 8+, and X?

Yeah that was my point. Dude asked is 8 gonna be a new design, I said well the 7 wasn't a new design ... We know the X is all new, but god knows what they're gonna do to the not-supply-constrained not-$1000 one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

The aspect ratio is a bit wider than they've been using up to now, so while it's fairly useless, it doesn't lead to less usable space, if that makes sense.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's an OLED display so it can be invisible if it wants to be, like for full screen content, which is a good solution IMO. If it wasn't OLED it would be annoying

Also unlike the mockup I don't think there's a chance in hell Apple will ship it with a white face, it's like Apple Watch, the point of bezel-less OLED is not to highlight the tiny bezel that remains

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pivo posted:

Yeah that was my point. Dude asked is 8 gonna be a new design, I said well the 7 wasn't a new design ... We know the X is all new, but god knows what they're gonna do to the not-supply-constrained not-$1000 one.

Oh poo poo, didn’t pick up on that. Rumors call for the new lower end model will be the same form factor as the 7 but with a glass back (for wireless charging) and no 3D camera systems so no face recognition for them (they get the home button / Touch ID)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

It's an OLED display so it can be invisible if it wants to be, like for full screen content, which is a good solution IMO. If it wasn't OLED it would be annoying

Also unlike the mockup I don't think there's a chance in hell Apple will ship it with a white face, it's like Apple Watch, the point of bezel-less OLED is not to highlight the tiny bezel that remains

Maybe that's what is bothering me about that picture. Having the face be white makes it look more...choppy? Not sure what word I am thinking of here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The rumors are saying they will only have a black front.

Which is cool because it means I might actually be able to get a phone in a color other than gray or black.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I don't discount the possibility of the 8 and 8 Plus having a new design. There were a lot of rumors that the X would have the fingerprint scanner on the back, even as recently as a month or two ago. It's possible it was a late engineering sample that the company was considering, but there's a chance it was always the low-cost 8 series and not the fancy OLED model. I don't think it's likely, but...

Pivo posted:

There have been some reports that what you're saying here is exactly correct. The black bezel just looks better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

Maybe that's what is bothering me about that picture. Having the face be white makes it look more...choppy? Not sure what word I am thinking of here.

The white face looks off. Like some 1970's idea of a futuristic handheld computer.

Maybe it's the rounded edges, which other manufacturers seem to be moving away from. I like it myself. Even though the S8 has rounded edges, it looks edgier.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pivo posted:

Ah, I've had very little hands-on time with a 7 so I wasn't sure. Although, perhaps the "virtual" home button and lack of headphone jack could be considered an updated design, if one wanted to split hairs?

In any case, I'm hoping the 8 ditches round edges at least. I've got an SE but my wife has a 6S+, and the thing always feels like a drat bar of soap to me.

Trying to figure out if wireless charging is a big deal to me; I assume it works by plugging in some type of pad? Could be nice to have that on my work desk I guess, but I'm not sure how many other spots I'd be okay with reserving such a footprint for.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the status with wireless charging in combination with cases? I really love my Apple leather case on my 6S and would like to buy a new one for my 8+.

I very much doubt that Apple would hamstring their high margin case business.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

What's the status with wireless charging in combination with cases? I really love my Apple leather case on my 6S and would like to buy a new one for my 8+.

I very much doubt that Apple would hamstring their high margin case business.

Cases work fine with wireless charging.

The bigger question is whether Apple is using the wireless charging standard or just moving us from proprietary lightning cables to proprietary charging pads.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

The bigger question is whether Apple is using the wireless charging standard or just moving us from proprietary lightning cables to proprietary charging pads.
What does your heart tell you?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's going to be very pretty and very white and connected to a $30 dongle.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Cases work fine with wireless charging.

Unless they are made of metal, but cases that block wireless charging / NFC for a phone that has those features, usually make it pretty clear that they do ... The power drops off with the inverse square of the distance so you lose efficiency adding thickness...

I sorta agree, I can see it useful at work, but I dunno, do you guys run out of battery at work often? I go home at 5pm with my 6S still at 60-70%.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Whatever it is, I'll buy it, and so will everyone itt

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krispy Kareem posted:

Surely they wouldn't eliminate wired charging entirely? Traveling with the phone would be a pain in the rear end if we had to lug pads around instead of a USB cable.... not to mention the complete inability to charge while driving.

EDIT: upon second reading I don't think you said what I thought you were saying

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can only charge it by laying it on an AirPod case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Theophany posted:

I don't think it's as much of an issue as it used to be with the earlier iPhones tbh. I'm on a 6 plus and didn't see any real reason to upgrade to the 6S or 7. My main reasoning for an upgrade now is purely because dealing with low storage space warnings every day is enough of an irritant to make it a worthwhile spend. I mean you could argue that because the X is a whole new form factor, there are more likely to be 1st gen issues, but even they seem to be less of a deal-breaker now. The signal attenuation from the iPhone 4 was a serious issue but #bendgate on the 6 plus was idiots thinking that sitting on their phone was somehow normal.

The 6 plus (and to a much lesser extent the 6) do have their touch disease issue, which is tied into the frames bending and flexing. They seem to have entirely fixed that in the 6S/6S+ and later, since I rarely see those bent and haven't once run into an unfixable touch issue that wasn't water related. But bent ones are still pretty common if you're the type who breaks screens.

Other than that, the 6/6+ are just fine.