Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

fyallm posted:

Looking for something similar to the inearpeace headphones.

Basically any pair of inexpensive, dual driver dynamic in-ears. There are a shiiiiiitload of them. Mee Audio, Brainwavz, KZ audio are all good cheap options.

What did you like/dislike about the ones you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Basically any pair of inexpensive, dual driver dynamic in-ears. There are a shiiiiiitload of them. Mee Audio, Brainwavz, KZ audio are all good cheap options.

What did you like/dislike about the ones you have?

Everything sounded good? I am not sure. I listen to rap / emd / rock, so it's pretty open, I am ok with heavy bass.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got a pair of Sennheiser 555s (with the 595 'mod', if that still counts), and I was planning on getting an Antlion Modmic (still haven't decided between the 4 or 5 version) to turn into a headset for using voice chat in games.

I thought this would be my best bet since the sennheisers probably sound better than most 'gamer headsets' out there, but then I realised I'd have another cable running to my rig, and started eyeballing wireless headsets. Are there any good/recommended wireless headsets? I keep seeing "7.1" headsets, but tbh I've no idea if that's an actual thing or just :techno:. I'll probably keep using my current cans when I'm not playing something that uses voice chat so I'm not looking for a straight up replacement, but I'd like them not to sound like rubbish.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got a pair of Sennheiser 555s (with the 595 'mod', if that still counts), and I was planning on getting an Antlion Modmic (still haven't decided between the 4 or 5 version) to turn into a headset for using voice chat in games.

I thought this would be my best bet since the sennheisers probably sound better than most 'gamer headsets' out there, but then I realised I'd have another cable running to my rig, and started eyeballing wireless headsets. Are there any good/recommended wireless headsets? I keep seeing "7.1" headsets, but tbh I've no idea if that's an actual thing or just :techno:. I'll probably keep using my current cans when I'm not playing something that uses voice chat so I'm not looking for a straight up replacement, but I'd like them not to sound like rubbish.

Just get these for your Sennheiser's:

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-U...T63GCHW53P9C5SH

The only wireless headphones I've liked are the ones from Sennheiser using Kleer tech but they don't make those as headsets. I don't recommend the Logitech wireless ones unless you're a sponsored streamer that gets it for free. As for 5.1/7.1 being bullshit, just click through my post history if you're interested in reading up on it.

I'd definitely recommend the mic above since it'll just be one cable.

EDIT: Oh wait, the 555's don't have a detachable cable right? I'd go for the ModMic then.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 8, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I usually keep my thrifting to the two-channel thread, but I have to brag about todays find:

80s Sennheiser HD540 reference for $3!

The foam and pads are of course beyond rescue, but the drivers sound perfect. These are some of the best sounding headphones I've ever tried. New pads and foam are on order from eBay already!

94 pages of headphone :spergin: about just this model: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good.670255/

evobatman fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 9, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Budget - $150
Source - MSI GS70 gaming laptop.
Isolation Requirements - No isolation requirements.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size. I have a blue snowball microphone already, so I do not need a headset with a mic. Just headphones.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not incredibly picky. I'm looking for something balanced that I can use for gaming and music. I play Overwatch and like to listen to music as I play. I also play PUBG and audio (footsteps, distant gunshots) is really important in that game.
Past Headphones - I'm using my PS4 gold headset on my laptop right now and they get uncomfortable after a while. They're pretty terrible for music as well.
Preferred Music - Pretty wide variety, but mostly indie rock, metal/hardcore and rap.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 9, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

Budget - $150
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not incredibly picky. I'm looking for something balanced that I can use for gaming and music. I play Overwatch and like to listen to music as I play. I also play PUBG and audio (footsteps, distant gunshots) is really important in that game.
Past Headphones - I'm using my PS4 gold headset on my laptop right now and they get uncomfortable after a while. They're pretty terrible for music as well.
Preferred Music - Pretty wide variety, but mostly indie rock, metal/hardcore and rap.

I'm going to hazard a guess you want a mike as well for the gaming?

HyperX Cloud 2. They're a gamer blinged up version of an OEM chi-fi beyer knockoff. Get a version that runs off USB if you want but they also come in traditional 3.5mm variety.

Spend some of your leftover money on some Brainwavz HM5 oval earpads and call it done.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DancingShade posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess you want a mike as well for the gaming?

HyperX Cloud 2. They're a gamer blinged up version of an OEM chi-fi beyer knockoff. Get a version that runs off USB if you want but they also come in traditional 3.5mm variety.

Spend some of your leftover money on some Brainwavz HM5 oval earpads and call it done.

Oh sorry, I forgot to say that I have a Blue snowball mic, so I just need headphones. I have a mic already. I'll edit that into my post.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Budget - $150
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size. I have a blue snowball microphone already, so I do not need a headset with a mic. Just headphones.

Open 'phones:
Audiotechnica ad900x can be had for ~$130ish. I had the old ad700 and really liked them
Sennheiser HD598 would be the other obvious choice but for some reason these cost $300 now

looking at pricing everything seems to have gone way up recently

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Budget - $200 - $300
Source - iPhone 7, Work and home PC
Isolation Requirements - Preferred to have as much as possible but won't turn down some good on ears.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Bluetooth over or on ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I've always used balanced tone headphones but I won't turn down anything that might lean more on the bass side.
Past Headphones - Bose QC15, Sennheizer Momentum on ears (original model), Jaybird X2 (now broken)
Preferred Music - Heavy/Experimental

I'm looking for a set of Bluetooth headphones I can use for work and the gym. I tried using in-ears for the gym but I wasn't a fan of the fit and sound. I see people at my gym using Beats and Sony Extra Bass on/over ears and wasn't sure if there were better options. I might be asking too much to expect one set to fit both needs.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Lube banjo posted:

Open 'phones:
Audiotechnica ad900x can be had for ~$130ish. I had the old ad700 and really liked them
Sennheiser HD598 would be the other obvious choice but for some reason these cost $300 now

looking at pricing everything seems to have gone way up recently

The ad900x is what I'm leaning towards. Thanks for your input.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dunno if is should ask here or the PC parts thread.

So i have been upgrading my computer over time but one piece of equipment that i never upgraded was my headphone. I am still using a Sennheiser hd280 pro for close to 10 years and now thinking its time to buy a new one. Whats confusing me is all these new tech like DTSx and Dolby Atmos for surround sound when playing games or movies. Are headphones setup for that, do i need a soundcard (Atmos needs a license?), is it all just a marketing gimmick?

stuff like these
Plantronics RIG 600XL (Dolby Atmos)

Steelseries Arctic 7 (DTSx)

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 9, 2017

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Ehud posted:

Budget - $150

I'm a big fan of the Beyerdynamic DT-990 which sound great to be and are really comfortable even with extended wear due to the really nice earpads and ventilation. I definitely paid under $150 but they seem to be $175 on Amazon at the moment.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

So after many good years of service, my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 died as a result of my cat chewing the cord. I imagine this could be repaired, but I don't have the skills/knowledge or tools to do so.

My AD700's have just broken as well, as a result of me dropping them one too many times. It's cracked in several places in the headband support, so it's not just a simple cable replacement. For some reason (gamers?) both the AD700x and AD900x seem to be sold out most places around me, and expensive elsewhere (amazon).

I really liked the comfort of the AD700's, but even before they broke I've been considering noise cancelling headphones, partly because I've been doing more travel for work. Most of the time I'd still be using them at home, however. Am I crazy for wanting to use some noise cancelling headphones for general listening? In those cases, background noise isn't a big deal for me - the AD700s are open after all. But buying some new regular headhpones (AD700x or some other model) feels weird if I'm going to buy some with noise cancelling anyway.

In particular I've been looking at the Sony MDR-1000X (and I guess the WH-1000XM2). What's the sound quality like when they're unpowered, just using the wire?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ughhhh posted:

So i have been upgrading my computer over time but one piece of equipment that i never upgraded was my headphone. I am still using a Sennheiser hd280 pro for close to 10 years and now thinking its time to buy a new one. Whats confusing me is all these new tech like DTSx and Dolby Atmos for surround sound when playing games or movies. Are headphones setup for that, do i need a soundcard (Atmos needs a license?), is it all just a marketing gimmick?

stuff like these
Plantronics RIG 600XL (Dolby Atmos)

Steelseries Arctic 7 (DTSx)

It looks like Dolby Atmos is an app in the windows store that you download, so I guess the whole ordeal is software-based now which is interesting. I just downloaded it and it works with my Fidelio X2s okay, at least in their tech demos. It's kind of neat I guess

In general, when listening to music, you want there to be as few alterations(there's a better word but I can't think of it) as possible between the raw data and your ear. Any "enhancements" will almost certainly muddy the waters - less clarity.

For movies I guess dolby is okay if you're into that

edit: if you want Dolby, you dont need those specific head phones. You'd just have to dish out $15 in the app store or there's a trial

Setset fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 10, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hello dear thread, looking for a recommendation for some new headphones.

Price range: $300-$400 CAD ($250-$330 USD) as my hardish limit. Less money is fine too.

I'll be using these on my computer mostly and maybe on my Android phone once in a while maybe.

Tonal balance: no idea. I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to rap. I play some games. Mostly concerned with listening to music.

Would prefer over ear, not on ear.

Around 6-7 years ago I picked up some Sennheiser HD 485s based off of recommendations from this thread (or a thread like it). I liked them fine. I don't care if the headphones are open backed or whatever. Just looking at the last couple pages people have been mentioning the 569s, though they are closed backs so not sure if that will be a huge noticeable difference.

I think one of my main criteria is that they are comfortable. Another thing that I was wondering about is whether Bluetooth headphones have parity with wired ones in terms of sound quality. I don't need Bluetooth ones, and if quality is even a bit better with wired I'd take those.

Thanks for any help!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Tsyni posted:

I think one of my main criteria is that they are comfortable. Another thing that I was wondering about is whether Bluetooth headphones have parity with wired ones in terms of sound quality. I don't need Bluetooth ones, and if quality is even a bit better with wired I'd take those.

At similar price points? Nowhere close.

The Monoprice M1060s are at the very top of your price range and check most of your boxes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tsyni posted:

Hello dear thread, looking for a recommendation for some new headphones.

Price range: $300-$400 CAD ($250-$330 USD) as my hardish limit. Less money is fine too.

I'll be using these on my computer mostly and maybe on my Android phone once in a while maybe.

Tonal balance: no idea. I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to rap. I play some games. Mostly concerned with listening to music.

Would prefer over ear, not on ear.

Around 6-7 years ago I picked up some Sennheiser HD 485s based off of recommendations from this thread (or a thread like it). I liked them fine. I don't care if the headphones are open backed or whatever. Just looking at the last couple pages people have been mentioning the 569s, though they are closed backs so not sure if that will be a huge noticeable difference.

Thanks for any help!

Yep just get the Sennheiser 569s. Will keep you well under budget and comfort was a design focus.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is there an easy solution to making earbuds more comfortable? I have some Audio Technica earbuds I picked up a few years ago that still sounds great, but I can't really wear them for longer than an hour anymore. This is usually fine, except for when I'm flying. I've got the smallest rubber tips they came with in but I guess I have small ears?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yoohoo posted:

Is there an easy solution to making earbuds more comfortable? I have some Audio Technica earbuds I picked up a few years ago that still sounds great, but I can't really wear them for longer than an hour anymore. This is usually fine, except for when I'm flying. I've got the smallest rubber tips they came with in but I guess I have small ears?

Comply foam tips. Visit their website to figure out what fits your IEMs.

If you meant actual earbuds not IEMs then I think you're out of luck.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

DancingShade posted:

Comply foam tips. Visit their website to figure out what fits your IEMs.

If you meant actual earbuds not IEMs then I think you're out of luck.

Ah yeah, my bad, I meant IEM's. I'll take a look at some foam tips, thanks.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ughhhh posted:

It's all just a marketing gimmick. Headphones are still just little speakers that you strap to your head, no digital woo will make them any better, and it usually makes them much worse.

If you like your 280 pro, try the Audio Technica M40x. They're around the same price point and sound much better. Status Audio CB-1's are also extremely good and maybe even better for the price, but ugly as sin.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's all just a marketing gimmick. Headphones are still just little speakers that you strap to your head, no digital woo will make them any better, and it usually makes them much worse.

If you like your 280 pro, try the Audio Technica M40x. They're around the same price point and sound much better. Status Audio CB-1's are also extremely good and maybe even better for the price, but ugly as sin.

Thank you! Is there a wireless option around 100$ you would recommend along those lines?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ughhhh posted:

Thank you! Is there a wireless option around 100$ you would recommend along those lines?

Not around $100, no, unless you're willing to step way down in audio quality. You'd have to go up to Bose QC35, Sony MDR1000x or maybe Momentums for that.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks again DancingShade. The recommendation to just get new pads was good and cool.

My poor old pads in the original post:

To now:

Took a while to get here (New Zealand) direct from brainwavz, but it was free shipping, so all good. Also got this hanger since it was coming all the way from Hong Kong:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xik posted:

Thanks again DancingShade. The recommendation to just get new pads was good and cool.

My poor old pads in the original post:

To now:

Took a while to get here (New Zealand) direct from brainwavz, but it was free shipping, so all good. Also got this hanger since it was coming all the way from Hong Kong:

Hey cool. Glad it worked out and you're happy. They look better than new!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Listening to my Final Heaven IV's, they are still a hell of a thing. Also I love saying that name (I know it's actually Final Audio Design Heaven IV but it's Japan so Final Heaven fits). Just thought I'd mention it again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you guys manage discomfort with IEMs? They start hurting after about 20 minutes and I get this weird burning sensation after taking them off. But the absolute worst problem is every sound (not from music) is much louder while wearing them. From the cable bouncing while I'm walking, to me chewing on food, my personal body sounds are painfully loud. It's worth noting that anything that makes a seal in my ears (like ear plugs) do this.

Wish there was a better way to explain this. I'm not crazy, I promise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

How do you guys manage discomfort with IEMs? They start hurting after about 20 minutes and I get this weird burning sensation after taking them off. But the absolute worst problem is every sound (not from music) is much louder while wearing them. From the cable bouncing while I'm walking, to me chewing on food, my personal body sounds are painfully loud. It's worth noting that anything that makes a seal in my ears (like ear plugs) do this.

Getting the fit just right is critical. My current favorite IEMs (Audiofly AF100s) came with *checks box* 3 pairs of silicon tips, 3 pairs of tri-flange and 1 pair of comply foam tips.

I only like wearing them with the comply foam tips and ONE of the silicon tips. I don't know who likes tri-flange but I sure as hell don't.

Also if you're hearing cable bounce (ah microphonics, my old nemesis) then what you want are something with over ear hooks, a neck cinch and some sort of noise reducing cable. Incidentally the AF100s do all this.

tl;dr tips are a Big Deal, so is the wearing style. Any over-ear studio monitor style IEM is going to probably fix your comfort issues because long term ergonomics are a more important factor than street bling for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Comply work well, and usually a set of silicon tips work for me. Anything bigger or smaller (or tri-flange) don't feel comfortable and/or fall out. I wear my BeatsX all day long without any discomfort.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

buglord posted:

Fit is personal. There are some people who detest IEMs, there are some people that prefer them. I prefer IEMs because I have jaw problems and are exacerbated by over- and on-ear headphones.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I wish there was a way to solve IEM comfort issues without owning a 1 liter mason jar filled with different tips, but that's pretty much what it comes down to.

edit: well, that or spending 400+ and waiting two months for customs.

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wish there was a way to solve IEM comfort issues without owning a 1 liter mason jar filled with different tips, but that's pretty much what it comes down to.

3 words, high end earbuds

drat NIGGA posted:

Let's Talk Headphones IV: Stupid sexy Sennheisers

I want to do a write up on my hd600s and the Little Dot Mk2. yall with 600s-650s need to invest in tubes.

His Little Dot mk2 has a fleshlight in it and boy howdy does it provide some good warmth to the tone IYKWIM. I know it because I went over to his house and was going to open the door slowly to surprise him, but he was balls deep in his headphone amp!

Weed goku fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 12, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weed goku posted:

3 words, high end earbuds

His Little Dot mk2 has a fleshlight in it and boy howdy does it provide some good warmth to the tone IYKWIM. I know it because I went over to his house and was going to open the door slowly to surprise him, but he was balls deep in his headphone amp!

I already like your gimmick account.

Don't forget to connect your tube amped fleshlight with only the finest quality $2000 USB cables to harmonize the zeroes and ones in a more organic forest fresh way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Aren't you fancy with your mason jar!

My ear-holes are clearly completely different shapes left and right though so maybe it's time to start experimenting with different tips on each IEM.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Are there any in-ear buds that are known to be especially durable for a reasonable budget (say, 50 dollars)? I'd love a pair that doesn't break within a year of purchase for a change.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have a pair of Brainwavz S0 that are around that price and built like tanks. They're a bit rolled off on the bass, but otherwise sound clean and detailed for the price. And they come with a really, really nice case and lots of tips.

Although I also have a pair of Rock Zircons which were like 15 bucks, built well, sound better and I don't care too much if I lose them. Come to think of it, just get two pairs of those.

edit: also, the KZ ZS5 just came out and they sound loving ridiculously amazing and you should buy them and yes I have a problem.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 12, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Are there any in-ear buds that are known to be especially durable for a reasonable budget (say, 50 dollars)? I'd love a pair that doesn't break within a year of purchase for a change.

Any IEMs that live inside a hard case when not actively in use.

Especially if they're going into a pocket or bag.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

edit: also, the KZ ZS5 just came out and they sound loving ridiculously amazing and you should buy them and yes I have a problem.

KZ5s are awesone, but they are pretty big and have got some sharp edges. If KZ had used more rounded housings like those on ZST they'd be better. Also the cable is a little bit unruly but ripping out the memory wire and adding a chin slider helps a lot.

All that said if the shape works for you the sound quality is absurdly good for the price you pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
How do they compare to the Vivo XE800s?