Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Still bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bandroid

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

i also have lightflow and it is showing up for me and no other apps are listed. a lot of people are reporting this same issue. it's not working as intended.

lightflow is the only bit of customization i use anymore so i can have a separate light color for my wife since she only texts in emergencies so i know not to ignore my phone.

everything else i use has 0 permissions required

are you using this or this? because the former couldnt work without a persistent notification before oreo but the latter should work just fine with no notification

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

are you using this or this? because the former couldnt work without a persistent notification before oreo but the latter should work just fine with no notification

the latter doesn't work at all on pixel because there's no way to prevent the system from culling its process

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im not saying people should be janitoring their phones more but I really wish you could do stuff like disable the annoying rear end HEADPHONE VOLUME AT UNSAFE LEVELS alert without jailbreaking the phone with some retard's buggy romhack. Or like, set my phone to default to tether mode when connected to a computer. Or to have missed calls create a notification when they don't leave a voicemail. Seriously why is that not a thing Samsung.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My cellphone should not ever do anything I don't want it to, like how I disabled almost everything that makes pop ups in windows 10

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There is definitely a missed call notification and lol if Samsung disables it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

the latter doesn't work at all on pixel because there's no way to prevent the system from culling its process

its never failed to work for me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

actually the more i think about the more im certain youre completely wrong about it even needing to be running. ive never seen the legacy version fail to work even when it was running on my nexus 5 which had almost no ram and closed background activities all the time but im thinking none of that even matters because theres a function specifically for apps to monitor notifications and thats what wakes up the app

maybe im wrong and its just not possible and ive just been incredibly lucky that its worked 100% perfectly for three years

i wish i could remember where i read a detailed description of how this worked back when the pro/legacy split happened but ive been looking for it for a while and cant find it

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 11, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

Im not saying people should be janitoring their phones more but I really wish you could do stuff like disable the annoying rear end HEADPHONE VOLUME AT UNSAFE LEVELS alert without jailbreaking the phone with some retard's buggy romhack.

get a headphone amp or better headphones or don't listen to your poo poo so loud

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Im not saying people should be janitoring their phones more but I really wish you could do stuff like disable the annoying rear end HEADPHONE VOLUME AT UNSAFE LEVELS alert without jailbreaking the phone with some retard's buggy romhack. Or like, set my phone to default to tether mode when connected to a computer. Or to have missed calls create a notification when they don't leave a voicemail. Seriously why is that not a thing Samsung.

are you deaf or are your headphones the wrong impedance or what?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

actually the more i think about the more im certain youre completely wrong about it even needing to be running. ive never seen the legacy version fail to work even when it was running on my nexus 5 which had almost no ram and closed background activities all the time but im thinking none of that even matters because theres a function specifically for apps to monitor notifications and thats what wakes up the app

maybe im wrong and its just not possible and ive just been incredibly lucky that its worked 100% perfectly for three years

i wish i could remember where i read a detailed description of how this worked back when the pro/legacy split happened but ive been looking for it for a while and cant find it

if you fresh install legacy on 6.0 or greater it will give you a notice right in the app that you'll have problems.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

android does what iosn't

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

if you fresh install legacy on 6.0 or greater it will give you a notice right in the app that you'll have problems.

i know it says that but i can assure you that you wont

heres the blog post regarding the legacy version and the only real difference is version targeting. you do lose out on some features that are post marshmallow (the biggest being auto backup) but in practice it will work just fine

honestly i expected it to break with this version due to the way backgrounding works but from what i can tell while the groundwork is there to break the legacy version moving forward the switch hasnt been flipped yet

i guess an app to hide the warning is functionally no different from using a deprecated app to get around the notification but im also ambivalent about the ongoing process notification anyway. its genuinely useful for misbehaving apps (and in the case of light flow its better than it was before) plus its nice and small

anroid lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

dont buy a samsung

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

also that warning shows up even when your not using headphones, its just a general alert 'hey you turned the volume up past 75%'

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nah I only get it when headphones are plugged in. Bluetooth doesn't do it and neither does the phone speaker

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sleepwalkers posted:

dont buy a anroid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

also that warning shows up even when your not using headphones, its just a general alert 'hey you turned the volume up past 75%'

lol why the gently caress would this need a notification? "warning you're listening to somethign too loud" -grandma samsung

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Last Chance posted:

lol why the gently caress would this need a notification? "warning you're listening to somethign too loud" -grandma samsung

its not even a passive 'hey be careful dont gently caress your ears up' you have to hit 'ok' to acknowledge you want to turn the volume up further

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

because the EU said so. Im not sure how current iPhones are handling it but you used to not be able to set ipod volume higher than this "might damage your ear" level

e:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-21294537

Sereri fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 11, 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Sereri posted:

because the EU said so. Im not sure how current iPhones are handling it but you used to not be able to set ipod volume higher than this "might damage your ear" level

e:

i hope they don't take that toggle out the UK build after Brexit

not my screenshot. not bothered about missing the freedom for consumer electronics to cause physical disability

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Nah I only get it when headphones are plugged in. Bluetooth doesn't do it and neither does the phone speaker

I've seen it when the phone was on my car radio's Bluetooth (lol)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
exactly, this is a poverty phone, why are you making it so hard to use my cassette adapter aux cable :bahgawd:

coke
Jul 12, 2009
I have owned a Mi Note 3. MIUI is pretty bad.
  • The notification thing is actually super annoying. On my Motorola and Oneplus (both stock Android), I can see the contents of a Whatsapp message without opening the app. This way, the sender of the message does not get the blue (read) ticks. I know it sounds like I’m being nitpicky, but sometimes you really want to avoid someone, or just reply to them later. Especially when it comes to clingy romantic partners, where it’s a lot easier to just let them think you didn’t read the message because you were busy, rather them let them know you read their message, but chose not to reply at the time. MIUI really hosed me over with this.
    Do NOT underestimate how significant that notification thing is when it comes to day to day life.

• The MIUI interface does not have an app drawer (it’s iOS style). This wouldn’t be an issue, as I would just use a custom launcher, but because of those horrible memory management issues, the phone never played nice with my favourite, Nova Launcher. It would keep on crashing, or lag, whenever I used that, or any other custom launcher.

• Some weird bug with the headphone jack. I’d plug my car aux in, and the headphone logo would show in the notification tray (as it should), but music would still play from the phone speakers. This would happen at least 30% of the time I plugged into my car. Went on the Xiaomi forums and found out other people also had the same issue, but Xiaomi never issued a fix.

• You had to use the MIUI music player if you wanted "play pause" buttons on the lock-screen. I used to use Poweramp, but the MIUI and Poweramp lockscreen controls kept on interfering with each other. Half the time I’d get Poweramp on the lock screen, half the time I’d get the MIUI music controls.
I know these sound like minor things, but add them all up, plus other minor but frequent bugs (Youtube app crashed way too often), and try to live with them on a day-to-day basis, and it ends up being a pretty horrible experience.

That’s why I always recommend people to go with stock Android phones (Motorola, OnePlus, now Nokia as well). They just tend to have less bugs and issues.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

coke posted:

• The notification thing is actually super annoying. On my Motorola and Oneplus (both stock Android), I can see the contents of a Whatsapp message without opening the app. This way, the sender of the message does not get the blue (read) ticks. I know it sounds like I’m being nitpicky, but sometimes you really want to avoid someone, or just reply to them later. Especially when it comes to clingy romantic partners, where it’s a lot easier to just let them think you didn’t read the message because you were busy, rather them let them know you read their message, but chose not to reply at the time. MIUI really hosed me over with this.
    Do NOT underestimate how significant that notification thing is when it comes to day to day life.

this one sounds like its not the phone being terrible but the user

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sereri posted:

e:

sarnsung does it on every phone whether its sold or used in the eu or not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

coke posted:

I have owned a Mi Note 3. MIUI is pretty bad.

• The MIUI interface does not have an app drawer (it’s iOS style). This wouldn’t be an issue, as I would just use a custom launcher, but because of those horrible memory management issues, the phone never played nice with my favourite, Nova Launcher. It would keep on crashing, or lag, whenever I used that, or any other custom launcher.

• Some weird bug with the headphone jack. I’d plug my car aux in, and the headphone logo would show in the notification tray (as it should), but music would still play from the phone speakers. This would happen at least 30% of the time I plugged into my car. Went on the Xiaomi forums and found out other people also had the same issue, but Xiaomi never issued a fix.

• You had to use the MIUI music player if you wanted "play pause" buttons on the lock-screen. I used to use Poweramp, but the MIUI and Poweramp lockscreen controls kept on interfering with each other. Half the time I’d get Poweramp on the lock screen, half the time I’d get the MIUI music controls.
I know these sound like minor things, but add them all up, plus other minor but frequent bugs (Youtube app crashed way too often), and try to live with them on a day-to-day basis, and it ends up being a pretty horrible experience.

That’s why I always recommend people to go with stock Android phones (Motorola, OnePlus, now Nokia as well). They just tend to have less bugs and issues.

source your quotes i love making fun of people who buy china phones

honestly surprised this doesnt end with them saying that they paid only $250 and that its suiting their needs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

source your quotes i love making fun of people who buy china phones

honestly surprised this doesnt end with them saying that they paid only $250 and that its suiting their needs

don't worry THIS is the one that doesn't send all your data to china

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

e:

lol the eu is retarded.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol the eu is retarded.

and how!!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if you do have have an android couldn't you just comment out the code that displays the warning or smth

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

OldAlias posted:

if you do have have an android couldn't you just comment out the code that displays the warning or smth

:stonk:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

akadajet posted:

and how!!

hey, we like how around here :mad:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

sleepwalkers posted:

*goes outside* congratulations on going outside! :toot:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i just did the 8.0 update. i forgot to say goodbye to my blob emojis before i did it :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i just did the 8.0 update. i forgot to say goodbye to my blob emojis before i did it :(

the new emojis are so bad

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
use bitmoji lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol the eu is retarded.