Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm looking at the blessing list and oh my god the stuff on there is absurd.

They made ethereal a blessing. Ethereal.
Magic weapons are an S2 non-awakened bless, so at least the counter is easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

You only need Astral 10 and Magic +3 scales, and awake Pretender!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Archenteron posted:

I mean it needs S9M3 and to be awake but good gravy.

It's S10M3. The investment is absurd but the payoff is the easiest expansion ever.

Other fun stuff, with descriptions of what they do coming from #dom4goons:

Reanimation is a 50% chance to reanimate any dead killed as a soulless. This also applies to cast spells.

The regeneration blessing no longer works on things that the spell wouldn't, but there are variations of it specifically for the undead and constructs to compensate (Reforming Flesh and Reconstruction, specifically)

Solar weapons are anti-demons and undead. Thunder weapons can stun like all other lightning damage and so are probably hilariously overpowered as a result.

Fateweaving means anyone who hits the unit blessed with it in battle is cursed.

Death explosion is self-explanatory.

Blood bond is shared damage between the blessed units within a certain area (apparently 10 squares). So they'll take a lot of punishment before they start dying, and then they'll all die at once.

Larger isn't a complete trap of a bless, since bigger units get more movement to compensate.

The stat buffs aren't very good anymore (like Attack Skill and Defense Skill) since they don't scale up with paths like they did previously. So even if your pretender is F10, the Attack Skill blessing still only gives +1 Attack Skill).

Apparently if your troops have a ridiculous enough movement, you can actually just attack a non-adjacent province even without flying.

Some nations get forts made out of ice rather than regular rock/wood/kelp, like MA Caelum. Said forts can actually temporarily melt if the temperature gets too high and downgrade in quality, meaning that putting up Second Sun against them is probably on par with Burden of Time/Utterdark/Astral Corruption in completely loving them over (given how higher quality forts is now actually a big deal). It used to be possible for them to completely melt away forever, but that was removed after test games had capital forts cease to exist on turn 2 due to random events.

Rain of Stones is now a battlefield enchantment rather than a one-shot spell, hitting 10% of squares a turn.

Thunder Strike spam has been nerfed a bit due to mechanics changes, since casting Storm takes two turns. That means that unless you have a storm staff, Thunder Strike spam won't be going off until at least turn 4.

Units actually will keep their immortality even when not under friendly dominion, but can be permanently killed if their "birth" province is captured and no longer are guaranteed to reform immediately after death. So vampires are now even harder to permanently get rid of, but if they're not very close to where they were created will be out of action for at least some time (3 months to reform if they died 5 provinces away, for example)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

the Orb of Zot posted:

What's 'incarnate only'?

I may have to finally learn to play when D5 comes out...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Since there's probably something like ~2 months left before Dominions 5 comes out I'm creating sign-ups for a couple more games if people are feeling like :siren: one last hurrah in Dominions 4.

One Last EA game and One Last MA game are going to be standard, vanilla games that only use the "how are u" quality of life mod (blood & vamp nerfs, no BoT, no bat tribe indies).

The game Just Late is an LA game with a few slots still open for sign ups too!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad to see that they are willing to radically change the game to make a more interesting experience.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prism posted:

What's 'incarnate only'?

If your god is awake and not dead/in another plane, they work, otherwise they don't.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Prism posted:

What's 'incarnate only'?

From what I read it means your god has to be awake and alive on the map for it to work. So, still sleeping in Year 2? No bless. Killed by a turkey? Bless turns off. Eating virgins in your capital? Bless active.

Also, "Larger" as a bless? That seems useless, getting smaller is usually better

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If the bless is always on then it looks that will help Abyssia a lot as with a small nature bless + magic scale they will not have to worry about aging.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turin Turambar posted:

You only need Astral 10 and Magic +3 scales, and awake Pretender!

I don't think paths go to bless points on a one to one ratio?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Any word on roads without forts

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Have they figured out a way to make water nations not suck and unfun to play/play against?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

paging the good players to the thread to post all the speculation they're talking about rn in IRC

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Important question. Because I didn't play Dom4 in the last year, I had forgotten this already, but it's one of the biggest grievances in Dominions...

Are there more orders to script for battles? In special, is there any 'hold 4 turns and attack' order, in addition to the normal 'hold 2 turns and attack'?? Because I hate how my birds or my light cavalry or my flying monsters get killed instead of waiting until the infantry line clashes.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ChickenWing posted:

paging the good players to the thread to post all the speculation they're talking about rn in IRC

we are all griping about changes being exactly the opposite of what they should be :(

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

R'yleh getting some new toys. It's actually only available as dormant or imprisoned, RIP

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is this revamped update to a sketchy as hell game still going to cost like 50 bucks or whatever dumb poo poo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's supposedly rebuilt from the ground up on the backend, just has a familiar interface. No word on pricing, but I'd bet 35-40 USD.

Slaan posted:

Have they figured out a way to make water nations not suck and unfun to play/play against?

Maybe if water breathing was a lower-tier bless :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

It's amazing how much better selling on Steam for $20 is versus selling via grognard word of mouth for $999.99!

To be fair, paying the full price got me a gigantic book back when I bought Dominions 3. It looked impressive as hell, even just in a ring-binder! (Then I promptly lend it to my then-girlfriend and she never gave it back. :v: )

Anyway, Dom5 looks nice enough I'll buy it as soon as it comes out! Which is in less then two months? :lol: Good god that's what I call secretive, guys. At least they told us before release!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

the Orb of Zot posted:

R'yleh getting some new toys. It's actually only available as dormant or imprisoned, RIP

...Map move 102?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Prism posted:

...Map move 102?

It is in all places and none, at the same time.

So deep.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Each province has a fixed cost now. Somebody posted it on /vg/:

quote:

Saravan Guard [Ragha heavy cav] . . . map move of 14. Map Move is done differently where moving through provinces is generally easier now, as the province type is a fixed value (normal and farmland is 6, Forest and Waste is 10, Cave 12, Mountains 16, Snow +4, Enemy Controlled Territory +8 (or 6 for stealthy units), Roads -4)

So 14 is apparently equivalent to the old MM2

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The best part is we can make a new thread so that the OP is no longer inactive.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TheDemon posted:

The best part is we can make a new thread so that the OP is no longer inactive.

jsoh for new op

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
so is there a domgoons discord thing yet or do i need to bother installing an irc client again

got an urge to sperge with mad pd

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

IRC, this is a grog game. Though I just use web based IRC

Edit: I actually don't know, I haven't played in like a year

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 11, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

IRC only, use mibbit web based so you don't have to install an IRC application.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jBrereton posted:

If your god is awake and not dead/in another plane, they work, otherwise they don't.

ha ha now tell them how they nerfed Pan

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
pan can't build forts bigger than size 1 which means it takes 2 turns to recruit a dryad and maybe 3 for a pan idk. also revellers cost slightly more. also they get a spell that's forest only that instantly makes a level 2 fort ha ha ha

Ramc
May 4, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

pan can't build forts bigger than size 1 which means it takes 2 turns to recruit a dryad and maybe 3 for a pan idk. also revellers cost slightly more. also they get a spell that's forest only that instantly makes a level 2 fort ha ha ha

:kheldragar:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

IRC only, use mibbit web based so you don't have to install an IRC application.

Or just install Nettalk so you can set a huge gong sound to play every time someone mentions your name

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

so is there a domgoons discord thing yet or do i need to bother installing an irc client again

got an urge to sperge with mad pd

Mapgoons has a Dom4 channel https://discord.gg/q8JwyHJ

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Any word on roads without forts
They're a map option, fort improvement beyond additional levels (Palisade -> Fortress -> Castle -> Citadel) has been taken out.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Please tell me there's an option to introduce player design point handicaps. I enjoy playing around with big ol' sacreds buffed to all hell, and want to make some monstrous units with the new system.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

For EA Pan it's Alteration 0 and has a path requirement of 4N (aka what a Pan has automatically). 35 nature gems is a bit steep but that's about it, and your labs cost only 250 gold now for some reason anyways.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's funny. My first impression after visiting the announcement page was that it was the typical Illwinter sequel, that are more iterative than any other thing. A pair of new big-ish features, a pair of new nations, and a big collection of smaller new features (custom priest spells, dominion drawn on the map, winter provinces, etc), fixes, and balances changes, and new stuff like new items, spells, etc. Nothing surprising, they are not a big game company with the manpower for big changes.

But thinking more carefully, playing Dominions is essentially about four things

-Recruiting pixelmens
-Moving pixelmens armies
-Fighting battles with them
-Doing magic stuff (site search, research, forging, casting rituals, etc)

And they are changing how to recruit armies (recruitment points, fort system affecting commander recruitment), how the movement in the map works (more granular, more factors taken in account, attacking a far away province possible if you have the points), and how the battle works (real time). So three of the four 'pillars' of the game with big changes. Not bad.

And reading on discord channel, there are a hundred smaller changes, too.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

For EA Pan it's Alteration 0 and has a path requirement of 4N (aka what a Pan has automatically). 35 nature gems is a bit steep but that's about it, and your labs cost only 250 gold now for some reason anyways.

Well if they are making Pan even more powerful it is a good thing they've nerfed vampire lords certainly right.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ramc posted:

Well if they are making Pan even more powerful it is a good thing they've nerfed vampire lords certainly right.

The speed at which you can get vampire swarms going was cut down to a third at least (from 3 vampires for 33 blood slaves to 1 vampire for 11 blood slaves), and vampire lords at least require a big enough commitment to blood that they'll still serve as a "I am going all in on blood, kill me now" signal.

But if they do get going they're even more impossible to deal with now.

EDIT: Weapon bless numbers; do take note that all of them but Magic Weapons and Solar Weapons are incarnate only blessings

Flaming Weapons (7F): Same as previously, 6 AP fire
Frost Weapons (5W + 1 cold): 8 AP ice
Thunder Weapons (7A): 1 AN lightning (capped) + 3 AN stun
Magic Weapons (2S): nothing changes except they ignore ethereal now
Solar Weapons (3S + 1F): 3 AP x3, applies only against demons and undead
Withering Weapons (4D): inflict decay on hit, no change to damage
Death Weapons (7D): Same as previously, 2 AN damage checking MR
Poison Weapons (4N + 1 death scale): 5 poison
Unholy Weapons (6B): 10 AP, applies only against holy units

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 11, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Can't imagine that I'll be playing, but I'm curious how Dom5 changes terrain - especially underwater. Sounds like they've removed at least some of the former hardcoded restrictions on UW mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
6B to kill sacred troops.

• Locked thread