Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Z the IVth posted:

I really like your photo backdrop, where did you get it from? I've got a lovely one printed on paper but it's really fragile.

It's the Macromat from Tablewar: http://www.tablewar.com/the-macromats/

I really like the product; some folks in the previous hams complained that it makes your stuff look like it's up against 4th grade picture day backdrops, but I like the look it gives. There's a few in there or you can just buy the backdrops separately and do your own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll never get tired of just staring in awe of your gorgeous Black Templars army, SRM.

Thanqol, your blue AdMech are rad!

Question regarding the Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines codex - this doesn't include rules for Deathwatch, correct? I'd just use the Index Imperium 1 book?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'll never get tired of just staring in awe of your gorgeous Black Templars army, SRM.

Thanqol, your blue AdMech are rad!

Question regarding the Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines codex - this doesn't include rules for Deathwatch, correct? I'd just use the Index Imperium 1 book?

Correct, though you can use the Primaris stuff out of it, they just don't get Special Ammo and can't ride in the Blackstar (anymore).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm debating between Deathwatch, White Scars or just sticking with Howling Griffons and mixing the Bigmars with the little dudes.

Sucks that Deathwatch Chaplains can't take jump packs.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm debating between Deathwatch, White Scars or just sticking with Howling Griffons and mixing the Bigmars with the little dudes.

Sucks that Deathwatch Chaplains can't take jump packs.

Be the Deathwatch Desperado you always wanted to be.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've been thinking about the Badcast campaign mission and I just want to give SRM and Sex Cannon props for making a fun mission that's infinitely more balanced than any of the Konor missions.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Speaking of AdMech, preview is up - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/11/forge-world-focus-mars-sep-11gw-homepage-post-4/

Looks like Mars gets a powerful trait. Potential double Canticles, and larger radius for Aura abilities on your Warlord, and a strategem for mortal wounds when shooting.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

How the hell do I add a FW model to my detachment in battlescribe? I mean, I know how to add them to the list, but it adds an entire battalion detachment rather than adding them to the current one. :psyduck:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

Thanks! I'm hoping they'll do well at Armies on Parade this year, after my Heresy Ultras got snubbed last time.

PantsOptional posted:

I've been thinking about the Badcast campaign mission and I just want to give SRM and Sex Cannon props for making a fun mission that's infinitely more balanced than any of the Konor missions.

Just wait! They'll get worse!

Also, speaking of the Badcast, we're looking for advice! We're gonna be talking about what to do when someone is in a bad mood during a game, whether they're just losing real bad or what have you. What do you do when the game's not going well and you're not having fun? What do you do when your opponent is having that experience?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Have they hinted at all at Dark Mechanicus yet

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
AdMech Preview: Holy poo poo son, my AdMech army is about to become even more of a powerhouse. 9" re-roll zone for Cawl, Wrath of Mars is absolutely brutal. A unit of 9 Kataphron Destroyers with Heavy-Grav Cannons will unleash 45 Str 5 -3 AP shots, hitting on 4's and re-rolling misses if within 9" of Cawl.

That's mortal wounds +D3 damage if the target has a 3+ save.

All hail the machine, baby.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SRM posted:

What do you do when the game's not going well and you're not having fun? What do you do when your opponent is having that experience?

I remember the last time this happened to me! I was having zero fun in an Apocalypse game, so after my guys died I took a break for two editions and now I feel great about 40k.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How the hell do I add a FW model to my detachment in battlescribe? I mean, I know how to add them to the list, but it adds an entire battalion detachment rather than adding them to the current one. :psyduck:

If you use the mobile version there should be an option under "Faction" to activate forgeworld options, this is also how you add your assassins and other auxiliaries without creating a new det.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Can you put glue and basing material over a varnished base?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goose willis posted:

Can you put glue and basing material over a varnished base?

Yeah. You'll want to varnish over it again, though. Either with varnish or extra glue.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SRM posted:

Thanks! I'm hoping they'll do well at Armies on Parade this year, after my Heresy Ultras got snubbed last time.

Also, speaking of the Badcast, we're looking for advice! We're gonna be talking about what to do when someone is in a bad mood during a game, whether they're just losing real bad or what have you. What do you do when the game's not going well and you're not having fun? What do you do when your opponent is having that experience?

I'd say ask about why and, if the game went cruddily, have a post-game jam session to talk the issue through. If it's about army comp, there's no harm in list tailoring to make a casual game between friends more fun. If it's about a rule bugging them, a houserule in the right place might make it better. If it's just bad rolls, stepping away from 40k and dicegames in general can be a needed change of pace.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Have they hinted at all at Dark Mechanicus yet

Only in the Forgeworld Chaos Index, where there are 2 Dark Mechanicus units (Chaos Hellwright)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SRM posted:

If it's me, and I'm not having fun, I'll usually stick out the game, unless the opponent is really a miserable fucker. I try really hard not to be salty, so unless I think they are either intentionally being a dick or are just unpleasant opponents all around, I'll play the game out and then just remember not to play them again.

If its the opponent being grumpy, I'll ask them if they want to call it or keep playing, but once I ask once or twice I'm not gonna keep asking - I'll play my game and let them fume if they want to. Nothing makes an angry person angrier than being condescended to, so no use in making it worse.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

Speaking of AdMech, preview is up - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/11/forge-world-focus-mars-sep-11gw-homepage-post-4/

Looks like Mars gets a powerful trait. Potential double Canticles, and larger radius for Aura abilities on your Warlord, and a strategem for mortal wounds when shooting.

Mars is insane. The other FW rules are going to have to be incredible to compare to Mars being 'all of Cawl's good points are even better than before, with no drawbacks.'

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What if you had a little dollhouse table, and you pulled it out if things were going bad. Then either you or the other guy flips it to relieve frustration.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If I'm running a Spearhead Detachment can I take Sergeant Chronus as the HQ requirement, even though Chronus is bought as an upgrade to one of the Heavy Support choices?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Also Konor is finished, and surprising absolutely no-one the Imperials won.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Schadenboner posted:

If I'm running a Spearhead Detachment can I take Sergeant Chronus as the HQ requirement, even though Chronus is bought as an upgrade to one of the Heavy Support choices?

Yes - he's still an HQ, just one weirdly attached to a HS.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SRM posted:

Gloat about how great you're doing and how poo poo they are. Get mad or stay bad.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Gloat about how great you're doing and how poo poo they are. Get mad or stay bad.
I was about to suggest that the PNW Crew would be a great case study on the matter.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Schadenboner posted:

No, battlescribe sometimes does, but remember battlescribe makes mistakes. The vehicle becomes Chronos's profile but he is still an HQ choice at the end of the day.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

SRM posted:

Finger in the butt.

But also emphasise the positive. Are they sucking at everything? Emphasise their small victories.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thundercloud posted:

Emphasise their small victories.

That poo poo don't work. Wifey had some poo poo stolen from her booth this weekend and I told her that it was flattering, in a way.

Her eyes went D strength.

E:OTOH finger in the butt is an idea I can get behind.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

DiHK posted:

That poo poo don't work. Wifey had some poo poo stolen from her booth this weekend and I told her that it was flattering, in a way.

Her eyes went D strength.

E:OTOH finger in the butt is an idea I can get behind.

Wonder what strength her eyes will go after that?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I played a guy the other week who got first turn and tried to smash Celestine + Seraphim across the board and charge some bikes (i.e. the obvious bait unit I'd given him). He Advanced out of phase instead of shooting which I let go because whatever, then he tried to charge and sulked when I wouldn't let him, which got worse I killed all his stuff. With like 4/5ths of his army still on the board and absolutely no attempt to turn things around he conceded and decided I'd "diced" him because I rolled well (not true at all - just the standard stacking re-rolls with Pedro + LT) and ignored gentle suggestions that maybe his list wasn't good. In that kind of situation all you can really do is shrug and move on, it's not up to me to figure that stuff out for him.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 11, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New AdMech list in preparation for the new codex:

HQ:
Cawl

Troops:
Kataphron Destroyers x 3 - Heavy Grav Cannons, Flamers

Elites:
Cybernetica Data-Smith
Fulgurite Electro Priests x 5

Heavy:
Kastelan Robots
Onager Dunecrawler, Neutron Laser & Heavy Stubber, Cognis Heavy Stubber

1989 points. Yes...yes that will do nicely.

This is, of course, before I see what sweet rear end combos Mechanicus Knights get.

Re: Making bad gaming experiences good - I usually focus on the epic moments on the table and celebrate my opponents victories. An example was this past weekend I played my AdMech against a Space Wolves army. One of the coolest moments was when my opponent killed my 2 Kastelans with Bjorn & a Iron Priest before they even got to swing. Just completely annihilated them. I ended up winning that game pretty handily (i only lost the Kastelans and 1 Kataphron Destroyer), but my opponent still had a great time.

I think as long as you root for your opponent as well, and celebrate them doing cool poo poo, it goes a long way. This might only apply to friendly games, because i'm not sure someone playing a competitive game would be all that interested.

When all else fails, finger in the butt.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

SRM posted:

What do you do when the game's not going well and you're not having fun? What do you do when your opponent is having that experience?

I'm a really upbeat and casual player so people usually feed off my energy. I like to make truck sounds when I move vehicles, get excited when my units blow up and kill all my dudes, and I'm really laid back about opponents doing stuff they forgot like psychic phase and junk.

I just try to be a positive and fun person who roots for both sides because I like seeing stuff blow up regardless of side.

I once shot an overcharged plasma pistol from my chaos lord at a rhino with 1 wound. It blew up the rhino killin his 3 remainin marines, which also blew up my hellbrute after I command point re-rolled the failed explosion, which in turn killed my entire chosen squad leaving the objective open to my singular cultist.

All in the name of fun! :yayclod:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Seeing wrath of Mars paired with protector protocol kastelan robots has me salivating. Now they can finally be a credible threat to 7 toughness vehicles! (Not that Ad Mech doesn't already have answers to those anyway)

Making Cawl's insanely good aura bubble even better and getting double canticles is just icing on the cake.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
A question for folks in the know: I picked up three of the Deathwatch: Overkill sets, and therefore, have three Patriarchs, Maguseseses, etc. Do I need/want all that poo poo (at this point, seeing as the codex hasn't dropped), or should I sell the extras off?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm trying to arrange my rather fragmented minis collection into a passable army. Would this do as a patrol detachment?

I'm going to use them as an Inq warband alongside a standard Grey Knights detachment.

Is it OK to mix and match like this? Both in terms of rules and sportsmanship?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah that's fine structurally and half the armies in the game now are mixed faction so whatever, people are used to it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SRM posted:

Bail out and go do something else. Play an easy card game, go get some food, get a drink, watch a movie, whatever. 40k is a high intensity activity from a mental standpoint, and its easy to get over-stressed playing it. After all you've invested hundreds (if not more) of dollars, hours of painting, time devising your list, the hassle of carting all your poo poo from home to the game, and so on and so forth. To have all that effort blow up in your face because someone brought the Tau Drop Army From Hell can be demoralizing and aggravating. Rather than let someone have a decidedly negative experience, its better to go do something low intensity to help them recharge. If time permits, maybe you can get back to the table and try a new game or something. If not, well better you had a good time doing something else than force yourself to have a poo poo time not having fun.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 11, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
If you're winning, commiserate with their bad luck, even if it's not all that bad (skip this if they're making a concerted effort to get better.) And for gently caress's sake, be a good sport when you have a few poo poo rolls. Nothing's worse than getting crushed while the other rear end in a top hat is bitching about their dice.

If victory is pretty certain and the game doesn't matter, don't play cutthroat. There's plenty you can do without being patronizing and going easy on someone. Let people do takebacks and fix their mistakes. Not after dice are rolled, but if someone's losing in a friendly game, I'd totally let them go back and do a forgotten psychic phase even if it would have altered things. Warn them about gotchas and dumb poo poo they might be doing (though coaching can get annoying and you have to play it by ear. I think you're generally safe with "Are you sure you want to do that? that makes unit X vulnerable to my poo poo Y" though)

If they still have units and don't want to get tabled to end their misery, go for objectives. Killing poo poo is fun, even if you're losing 17-2 on score.

Depending on players, going for cool stuff like warlord fights, cinematic moves and duels, and longshots is also good, but can risk setting off some people who don't want you to go easy on them.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

richyp posted:

Wonder what strength her eyes will go after that?

What's the Imperium's term for destroying the whole planet? That.

she's Italian

E: Exterminatus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, that's true. It's definitely possible to win without rubbing your dominance in peoples' faces. I have friends who play Commander in Magic, and they love having the top two players team up and shoving the weaker ones out of the game before they even get a chance to play. It's super unfun to deal with, and turns losing from "oh well, better luck next time" to "why bother showing" when stunts like that get pulled. The objective strategy is a great way of getting around that feeling because it still lets your friend play, and on a good roll they might even snatch your objective and turn some of the tide. You're still playing to win, too, even if not playing to crush, so it isn't like you're giving them a pity win.

Similarly, maybe try other narrative play objectives. There are a lot of cool ways to play 40k now, and a deviation from the norm might give them a chance to focus on aspects they prefer.