Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Was there ever a reason for the Taken to show up? At least for the fallen/vex/hive you are traveling to places where they already were living. For the Taken they jump around space and are normally more directed I thought.

I think for nothing else than there's no reason for them not to. They never got wiped out, and (not a lore expert) but I think the ability to produce taken was not exclusive to anyone, like Oryx. So my guess would be that they still exist and pop up everywhere.

I'm glad - they're usually more challenging and I like fighting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Was there ever a reason for the Taken to show up? At least for the fallen/vex/hive you are traveling to places where they already were living. For the Taken they jump around space and are normally more directed I thought.

The Taken have been described as directionless since the end of TTK, they're full of free-floating aggression and every so often coalesce around a new leader we have to kill and the assets and backstory for them are already established so why not throw them in and get more chances for cool emergent three-way battles

e: The ability to produce Taken was supposed to be exclusive to Oryx but there's an adventure where you can actually watch it happen so something may have been retconned changed.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
If I remember correctly there was an adventure mission that I did that had some dialogue mentioning there was a new successor to Oryx trying to find a way to get to our world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Javes posted:

If I remember correctly there was an adventure mission that I did that had some dialogue mentioning there was a new successor to Oryx trying to find a way to get to our world.

It suggests it, yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Javes posted:

Yeah, even in D1 there were guys trying to usurp Oryx, like that Darkblade guy.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Javes posted:

Yes, it's one of his sisters and there are multiple scannable objects that mention her as well

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Vatek posted:

I have never gotten anything but random garbage blues from vanguard strikes. They don't really seem worthwhile for the time it takes to do them.

I think I got about 1 legendary engram per strike I did last night, and actually got an exotic engram from the boss chest on one (granted it was the hover wings chestpiece for the bad warlock spec of the worst warlock subclass).

Also random garbage blues still raise your ilvl if you're below 265.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Is there a simple explanation for how item level drops work now? I have been at 273 for a minute, and have DE'd like 40 drops that have all come out as 266, both blue and purple. My gear does not have a bunch of level boosting mods, and I cannot find even 267 gear. I'm not all that bothered, but i assume I need to wait for the reset to get some good drops again.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bard Maddox posted:

this was the absolute best way to win a game of crucible

https://twitter.com/SlapnutsSA/status/907029254298390529

Paradox "zìxīang máodùn" solved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irresistible_force_paradox

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
why the gently caress would Zavala think that the hive wouldn't be on a moon of Saturn when their giant ship is chilling around Saturn still

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moist turtleneck posted:

why the gently caress would Zavala think that the hive wouldn't be on a moon of Saturn when their giant ship is chilling around Saturn still

Asher Was Right

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I love the hover wings. I've settled on a devour build though, using Nezarec's Sin. A good void assault rifle means you're constantly recharging grenades and super incredibly quickly, and getting health back on every kill.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

... wait what

I assume he's talking about Lion Rampant. I got them too and they own. Float and skate everywhere.

Also lol at that guy saying night falls are easier than D1. The time limit can die in a fire.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

moist turtleneck posted:

I have a feeling Eris is going to pull a Kerrigan and become more hive ish

Kerrigan became more Zerg tho, not hive. I don't think the hive were in Starcraft.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mods please change my name to Commander Vuvuzela tia

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

FishBulb posted:

... wait what

They let me jump forever

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The many ways Asher misspell Za-ba-la just broke me in tears. I love the guy.

Also "Zabala" is the vasque word for "Wide" (or Bridge?).
https://translate.google.com/?hl=en#auto/en/zabala

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

the good fax machine posted:

Mods please change my name to Commander Vuvuzela tia

RIP El Hefe

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jolo posted:

I was playing a bunch of the timed events in the EDZ last night and it got me wondering about how the game handles players in the open areas. I would check the roster from time to time and sometimes there'd be 4 or 5 people in the area, but other times I'd be the only person in the area. I couldn't figure out the flow to it, because I could do 2 or 3 heroic events with a bunch of people and then follow that up with 2-3 where I'm the only person around. I wonder if I'd be better off loading out to orbit and back in to find people or if that wouldn't actually affect anything.

The game has hidden matchmaking going on in the background all the time. A common trick in D1 when passing between zones was to walk (instead of sparrowing/sprinting) to give the matchmaking more time to find you a populated zone. Basically if you went too fast, it would give up and dump you into a fresh instance all your own.

Unfortunately the zone lines are much harder to spot this time, and are irrelevant anyways because of fast travel. It seems like getting to a public event ~4 minutes early and farting around for a little bit works the best but it's still kind of a crapshoot.

I definitely see fewer people running public events already, all the poopsockers have leveled beyond needing them so are off grinding their nuts on nightfall or whatever.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Norns posted:

RIP El Hefe

drat lol I hope he's okay or has escaped to Colombia or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tomorrow everyone's going to be on Nessus when the flashpoint changes

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

haveblue posted:

Tomorrow everyone's going to be on Nessus when the flashpoint changes

Yeah this is really it. Edz is still poppin off but the other planets can go a bit dry sometimes

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah this is really it. Edz is still poppin off but the other planets can go a bit dry sometimes

Well Titan and Io kinda suck

They clearly put more work into EDZ and Nessus

acumen posted:

I assume he's talking about Lion Rampant. I got them too and they own. Float and skate everywhere.

Also lol at that guy saying night falls are easier than D1. The time limit can die in a fire.

Cool. I hope I get them sounds clean rad and powerful

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Titan Flashpoint gonna be lit whenever it pops

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FishBulb posted:

Well Titan and Io kinda suck

They clearly put more work into EDZ and Nessus

Cool. I hope I get them sounds clean rad and powerful

Titan has the single coolest area though in the solarium

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Titan has the single coolest area though in the solarium

Ok. I'll take your word on it

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are going to announce the raid recommended light level?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Somebody give me a reason to like IO, please. It looks like a empty Venus wanabee where the taken go to dump.

Also why the hell is filled with Traveler.... blood?. Was not Mars the last visit of the traveler?

Why is not Earth filled with Traveler goo like IO? Nothing of this make much sense to me.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Tei posted:

Somebody give me a reason to like IO, please. It looks like a empty Venus wanabee where the taken go to dump.

Also why the hell is filled with Traveler.... blood?. Was not Mars the last visit of the traveler?

Why is not Earth filled with Traveler goo like IO? Nothing of this make much sense to me.

Because the Pyramidion owns

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarshyMcFly posted:

Anyone know when they are going to announce the raid recommended light level?

Don't know but I was hoping we'd at least get a teaser or trailer or something for it today.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Don't judge a planet until you do all the Adventures and post campaign missions.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The recommended raid level is 269

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Uugh is the raid here yet

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I'm gonna guess 270 to start the raid and the boss will drop 300 level gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Javes posted:

I'm gonna guess 270 to start the raid and the boss will drop 300 level gear.

Or 290 to make room for hard mode.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It will likely be

Normal 260-280 by the end

Hard 280-300 by the end.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm struggling to think of where to get my gear to 270 from. I'm about 265 at the moment and the Nightfall has definitely dropped the best gear, but below that is a large gap in power.

Javes
May 6, 2012

strangemusic posted:

I'm struggling to think of where to get my gear to 270 from. I'm about 265 at the moment and the Nightfall has definitely dropped the best gear, but below that is a large gap in power.

Powerful gear from milestones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The hard mode nightfall is at 300 and the infusion tooltip says the current highest attainable light level is 350 so who knows what the raid light level will be. Maybe they'll announced it after the first weekly reset but it does seem weird that they're letting people obsess and grind over a number that no one actually knows.

Tei posted:

You aren't required to like anything but Io leans the strongest on the "mystery" themes and most of the adventures there are about discovery and things that aren't fully understood. It's also probably going to figure into the second expansion since it's where all the Warmind stuff is.

Mars was where humans first found the Traveler, but an awful lot of time passed between that moment and when it lost the ability to move itself at the future site of the Last City. Maybe it wasn't done with Io when it had to rush back to defend Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought the goo in Io was Vex goo