Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if tim had any integrity or leadership he would delay the release of ios 11 and force the entire team to redesign it completely before firing them all (out of a cannon into the sun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

still though, being not an apple employee and getting Genuinely Mad Online because of press conference spoilers is loving hilarious

well, that and being an apple employee not in an upper management position and BGMO about it is pretty bad too

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
like what are the actual negatives for apple of this being leaked? tech journo hot takes start on monday instead of tuesday?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

like what are the actual negatives for apple of this being leaked? tech journo hot takes start on monday instead of tuesday?

absolutely nothing other than some more reputational "apple can't keep a secret" biz or I guess chinese fakes coming out a little faster than before? it's too late for anyone to change what they're doing

it's impossible to ramp up a supply chain to make 100 million of something without thousands of people being a part of it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
samsung will poo poo out their own face thingy tonight that they wrote over the weekend and everyone will buy the new galaxy SX with S-face technology powered by the new 32-core tegraXL

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

most likely a net positive for apple considering the amount of coverage discussing the leaks they get, the previous secrecy was more about jobs' ego than good business. note that there are no terribly solid leaks of the things apple don't do, images get scrubbed of the failing tv and imploded car, it is just the stuff where talking can turn into sales

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

samsung will poo poo out their own face thingy tonight that they wrote over the weekend and everyone will buy the new galaxy SX with S-face technology powered by the new 32-core tegraXL

samsung already has a face thingy and it can be fooled by an image on another phone

wasn't their fingerprint scanner storing pngs in a public directory?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Plank Walker posted:

More or less. A large presentation like this is going to get a buttload of publicity across pretty much every type of media and will probably be the first that a lot of people hear that Apple is even releasing something new. Controlling all the information available to the press gives Apple that the best chance of the message that the public receives is exactly what Apple wants it to be.

Realistically it won't matter much because most of the press is just a PR machine that will parrot back what Apple says regardless. Plus none of the leaked information that I've read so far seems like it should hurt their narrative unless they thought they were going to get away with nobody realizing they won't have TouchId.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Plank Walker posted:

loss of respect by the industry for your internal security, for one

why would you want to do business with a company if there's a distinct likelihood that your proprietary data will be stolen and leaked to competitors due to their laxity?

loss of competitive edge for another

why bother trying to fund your own r&d and development process if you can just wait for your competitor to leak and then take their work?

also a tremendous display of incompetence on the part of leadership

how can you trust that a company is being led competently if they can't ensure that their own employees and partners are properly motivated to secure internal data? or ensure there are consequences when they don't?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol at putting trust in companies in the first place

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

samsung already has a face thingy and it can be fooled by an image on another phone

wasn't their fingerprint scanner storing pngs in a public directory?

the latter was htc

samsung's just required you to swipe your thumb for a generation or two

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

open offices, open access GMs

f u timb

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
here's what happens with leaks. someone leaks the fact that apple is putting a fingerprint sensor on the phone. a million pundits, tech "journalists", forum posters etc violently agree that this has already been tried and that also it isn't very good or convenient or secure so clearly apple is stupid and this is a gimmick.

then Apple releases product and does it well and it's the best in the industry instead of the garbage everyone was speculating on or was previously done. but for a couple of months everyone has been talking about how bad and dumb this is and now it's an uphill battle to convince people that it's good instead of just showing it to them.

see also "a touchscreen phone", "a new connector", "Retina display", "NFC payments", "dual camera", etc.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh then maybe it really is in tim's best interest to start cracking down on leaks instead of just letting them happen with a shrug and a mumbled "doubling down on security" platitude following a silly video skit

steve literally had a person killed to punish a leak to prove he had no respect for human life, let alone programmer life

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've been really impressed with how well apple pay works tbh

i don't think it's ever not worked for me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stymie posted:

gosh then maybe it really is in tim's best interest to start cracking down on leaks instead of just letting them happen with a shrug and a mumbled "doubling down on security" platitude following a silly video skit

steve literally had a person killed to punish a leak to prove he had no respect for human life, let alone programmer life

apple takes leaks and security very seriously. this gimmick is even dumber than your other one.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've been really impressed with how well apple pay works tbh

i don't think it's ever not worked for me

doesn't work in target or rite aid last i checked
it's frustrating bc the only thing shower than paying with a chip reader is trying to pay quickly with your phone, waiting a few seconds to realize it doesn't work, and then waiting for the chip reader for your card

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cis autodrag posted:

apple takes leaks and security very seriously

lol

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Stymie posted:

is this some sort of story i don't know about or just this thread's private joke?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

go play outside Skyler posted:

is this some sort of story i don't know about or just this thread's private joke?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=8144291&page=1

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

doesn't work in target or rite aid last i checked
it's frustrating bc the only thing shower than paying with a chip reader is trying to pay quickly with your phone, waiting a few seconds to realize it doesn't work, and then waiting for the chip reader for your card

it doesn't work there because these stores literally disabled their NFC readers because they hate their customers.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

apple takes leaks and security very seriously. this gimmick is even dumber than your other one.

You should see how much of a joke access to the big databases are.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

it doesn't work there because these stores literally disabled their NFC readers because they hate their customers.

i know, but that doesn't make it less annoying when some subset of common stores refuses to let it work. not looking to janitor my payment methods here

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
apple pay works at rite aid and walgreens. source: I have used it at both

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

emoji posted:

when people tell me about conspiracy theories I just point to these huge tech giants like Apple and Microsoft and say "if these fuckers can't keep their poo poo together for minor stuff like a phone or a laptop, why would you think the government would be able to fake something like going to the moon"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

when Apple Pay doesn't work just abandon your shopping cart in the middle of the checkout line and walk out of the store

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

was this before or after they installed the suicide nets?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
also Apple Pay woks as a credit card condom when the knuckle-dragging IT staff at your shop of choice leave their servers' collective rear end hanging out in the open and somebody tries charging your cc for a 15 year subscription to Jock Strap Online. it's apple's problem so no updating cc numbers for you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apple: good to the last drop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

was this before or after they installed the suicide nets?

what the gently caress do you think?

e: thought the worker jumped out the factory window oops lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ripoff posted:

also Apple Pay woks as a credit card condom when the knuckle-dragging IT staff at your shop of choice leave their servers' collective rear end hanging out in the open and somebody tries charging your cc for a 15 year subscription to Jock Strap Online. it's apple's problem so no updating cc numbers for you

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/09/10/bbc-confirmation

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

just don't answer the phone lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
why was a build available to the public internet and not a set of whitelisted ips anyway?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

why was it even available outside of their internal vpn

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
prob a select few privileged external developers or something.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
reviewers, carriers, ...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

emoji posted:

the what now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

the what now

guessing their customer data and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

guessing their customer data and poo poo