Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
no it means when you're part of the opposition and have no chance of passing anything you can sponsor whatever the hell you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

NewForumSoftware posted:

no it means when you're part of the opposition and have no chance of passing anything you can sponsor whatever the hell you want

they weren't even doing that before, which was ze pollack's point

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Man, why wont the democrats do something we want.

Ugh, the democrats are only doing something we want to deceive us

I get being cautious of people's change in opinions. This is like reason # 256 why hillary lost, but at the same time you should not complain about things moving in the direction you want them to move. Maybe something along the lines of "well that's a good start M. Booker, please continue to evolve on these issues and help us move the party to where it needs to be" instead of "gently caress you, you snake."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

that's why Cory Booker doing it is encouraging.
this is the guy who in that same zero-consequences environment shut down a bill to import cheaper drugs from Canada on grounds that, uh, ~safety concerns~.

that someone so deeply in pharma's pocket was capable of conceding he has to at least publicly support socializing american medicine shows that Team Corporate Dem is, genuinely, feeling the pressure to not do that poo poo anymore.

it's a baby step. but it's a step.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I get being cautious of people's change in opinions. This is like reason # 256 why hillary lost, but at the same time you should not complain about things moving in the direction you want them to move. Maybe something along the lines of "well that's a good start M. Booker, please continue to evolve on these issues and help us move the party to where it needs to be" instead of "gently caress you, you snake."

how about both? cory booker is obviously a snake after he cited republican arguments to vote against a bill that merely made the statement "we should reimport drugs from canada"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
centrists becoming more effective politicians is a bad thing, not a good thing

unless of course you want president booker

him continuing to shoot himself in the foot is the best case scenario unless you want to explain in 2020 why he actually doesn't want the bill he cosponsored while he runs around campaigning on it

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

call to action posted:

It's really sad that people might be fooled by Booker and Harris' co-sponsoring of Bernie's bill. :(

This only works if you assume Democrats operate in good faith. At this point, you have to be truly delusional to belive anything Dems say when they're in the opposition. Remember all that stuff Obama was supposed to do for unions? They can go chew soap. Lip service IS NOT PROGRESS.

I don't in the slightest. But remember how long they just gave lip service to the idea of gay marriage until public opinion started becoming so massively overwhelming that they had no choice? Hopefully we'll see the same thing for leftist economic policy in the next decade or three :v:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

him continuing to shoot himself in the foot is the best case scenario unless you want to explain in 2020 why he actually doesn't want the bill he cosponsored while he runs around campaigning on it

that you find the idea of people being obliged by public pressure to support your policies a bad sign is painfully illuminating

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There's no credible position to take BUT MFA at this point. What are Booker or Harris going to do in the face of a Hillary loss - try to sell Obamacare, precisely when it's clear that it's not going to control premiums in any meaningful way and most people already hate it? And that assumes that Trump won't try to sabotage it!

Why would they fall on that sword? This is pure strategic triangulation taken by a party that literally cannot do anything.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

how about both? is obviously a snake after he cited republican arguments to vote against a bill that merely made the statement "we should reimport drugs from canada"

If repeating republican arguments is such a sin, half the leftist posters in this thread are just as bad if not worse than cory booker. Sure, he's a wall street democrat, but this line of argument is a bit ridiculous.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If repeating republican arguments is such a sin, half the leftist posters in this thread are just as bad if not worse than cory booker. Sure, he's a wall street democrat, but this line of argument is a bit ridiculous.

no, voting it down based on republican arguments is the sin

do you understand the difference between action and speech loam?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Corey Booker is a snake, but "We'll pretend to give you what you want" is a distinct step up from "We will stand in solidarity as members of the ruling class against what you want" which is where they were at.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

that you find the idea of people being obliged by public pressure to support your policies a bad sign is painfully illuminating

ahh yes people can change and maybe Corey Booker will become the leader the left actually needs

your stockholm syndrome is showing

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

call to action posted:

There's no credible position to take BUT MFA at this point. What are Booker or Harris going to do in the face of a Hillary loss - try to sell Obamacare, precisely when it's clear that it's not going to control premiums in any meaningful way and most people already hate it? Why would they fall on that sword?

great question. but I can tell you that up until now, that's exactly what they were doing.

quote:

This is pure strategic triangulation taken by a party that literally cannot do anything.

indeed. centrists are not good. but they have this saving grace: they are controllable. this is pure strategic triangulation to what they see as the safest thing to do.

so when you change what the safest thing to do is, you drag the centrists towards you.

they are large, heavy, stupid, and will actively fight the process. but you can get them to support leftist policy, if only out of terror of what will happen if they don't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's entirely reasonable to be suspect of fair-weather friends given you know they will abandon you the moment they see it as slightly convenient.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

ahh yes people can change and maybe Corey Booker will become the leader the left actually needs

your stockholm syndrome is showing

ahh, yes, and furthermore;

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

they are large, heavy, stupid, and will actively fight the process. but you can get them to support leftist policy,

[citation needed]

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

no, voting it down based on republican arguments is the sin

do you understand the difference between action and speech loam?

Yes, I see there is a difference, but I feel like it's moot since it wasn't a bill that would have done anything. If he voted against a medicare for all bill using GOP talking points I would feel the same way as you, but the bill that was actually voted on was a nothing burger and wouldn't have mattered. Yes it sucks that he chose to vote that way in a symbolic vote, but I don't see it as the massive sin as others I guess.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's entirely reasonable to be suspect of fair-weather friends given you know they will abandon you the moment they see it as slightly convenient.

absolutely.

fact remains that when the fair-weather friends start moving in your direction, that's not a bad sign.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
i too celebrate the co-opting of progressive movements by establishment democrats

really great thing that absolutely didnt get taken advantage of by a right winger to spend 8 years in office after campaigning on opposing his own preferred policies

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

[citation needed]

american history from the years 1940-1970

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's pretty good that Cory Booker came out in favour of Bernie's bill. It means that the overton window will shift a bit more to the left, and it will also be fun to see the bad dem cultists meltdown over another bad dem siding with Bernie.

So while Booker definitely still needs to be primaried, in the meantime might as well take what you can get.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, I see there is a difference, but I feel like it's moot since it wasn't a bill that would have done anything. If he voted against a medicare for all bill using GOP talking points I would feel the same way as you, but the bill that was actually voted on was a nothing burger and wouldn't have mattered. Yes it sucks that he chose to vote that way in a symbolic vote, but I don't see it as the massive sin as others I guess.

no it's not moot. he refused to commit to lipservice to the idea of medication reimportation based on republican bullshit. that's a step lower than refusing to commit to actual medication reimportation

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If it indeed it was a nothing bill, why didn't he give a symbolic yes vote? (The answer is even that would have pissed off his donors.)

If you want to say that them adopting more publically positive views on UHC is a sign leverage is working, fine. If you want to say we should actually trust them or broadly support them, that train left in 2009.

If the left essentially gives in any time a Democrat gives a concession, jack poo poo is going to happen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

she already did embolden white nationalists and nazis, what do you think her anti-crime 90s were about? i guess calling young blacks superpredators was just a silly mistep, not giving ammo to white nationalists? or suggesting obama was actually a muslim?

i dont know whats progressive about attacking bill's victims or opposing LGBT rights but I guess that counts in today's day and age

the ACA should be repealed

she threatened war with russia (worse than nuking north korea)

also I'll just go ahead and say almost every us political figure supports the nuking of hiroshima and nagasaki so you can add pro-genocide to both of their creds too

The ACA should be replaced with something better like Medicare for all but lol if you think Abuela was gonna do that

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's pretty good that came out in favour of Bernie's bill. It means that the overton window will shift a bit more to the left, and it will also be fun to see the bad dem cultists meltdown over another bad dem siding with Bernie.

So while Booker definitely still needs to be primaried, in the meantime might as well take what you can get.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about booker sponsoring bernie's bill, and I've been labeled as a centrist bad dem cultist. Please do primary booker, as long as that doesn't cause his seat to go R.

EDIT; removed flippant remark as I misread this post.

Condiv posted:

no it's not moot. he refused to commit to lipservice to the idea of medication reimportation based on republican bullshit. that's a step lower than refusing to commit to actual medication reimportation

Well, agree to disagree on this. I am not going to defend booker on his pharma stances, because they are awful, however, that vote just meant much less to me than it meant to you.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

absolutely.

fact remains that when the fair-weather friends start moving in your direction, that's not a bad sign.

They're just keeping their enemies closer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ardennes posted:

If it indeed it was a nothing bill, why didn't he give a symbolic yes vote? (The answer is even that would have pissed off his donors.)

If you want to say that them adopting more publically positive views on UHC is a sign leverage is working, fine. If you want to say we should actually trust them or broadly support them, that train left in 2009.

If the left essentially gives in any time a Democrat gives a concession, jack poo poo is going to happen.

It was totally because of his donors. anyone that doesn't see that is wrong. I just don't hold it over him as much as this thread does because I understand that Cory Booker is the way he is. As soon as he can be replaced, i'm all in. I would just much rather have nooker than any other R.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

They're just keeping their enemies closer.

ain't nobody asking you to mistake them for friends. you don't call the mercury in a thermometer your friend after it finally moves up from below freezing, but it's still an encouraging sign after a long loving winter.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think after what happened in California people are a little skeptical that the democrats will actually move forward on medicare for all when they have the power to do it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It was totally because of his donors. anyone that doesn't see that is wrong. I just don't hold it over him as much as this thread does because I understand that Cory Booker is the way he is. As soon as he can be replaced, i'm all in. I would just much rather have nooker than any other R.

In all honesty, I think the only way forward is regime change in the Democratic Party itself. Otherwise, it will always be a game of bait and switch and in all honesty, I think we are running out of time (looking at the damage being done).

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

ain't nobody asking you to mistake them for friends.

I mean any maneuvers they make have a 100% chance of being intended to destroy the left as opposed to genuine conversion. Treat them as a hated enemy because that is absolutely their attitude towards leftists. This means not falling for their empty gestures or misinterpreting them.

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe

moths posted:

I realize this is second-rate trolling, but I would be genuinely interested to understand how "being in the pocket of rich douchbags" is worse than actually being one of those douchbags from an outside-politics know nothing perspective.

Cutting out the middle-man?

For extra credit, five hundred words or less on why it was cool that Trump named GS appointees.

I think it's a measure of competency rather than policy. By all accounts, Trump has (at best) a child's understanding of what being PotUS actually entails and gets Real Mad at anyone who tries to make him work.

It's the difference between owning a company and working for a company.

If you own a company, you can do whatever you want. If you work for a company, you have to do whatever the boss said. Trump is his own man whereas Hillary is owned by corporate interests.

That is different from bringing industry experts in to run the government. People who work in business understand business as opposed to academics who never worked a day in their life but think they understand what is happening because of "theory".

Trump is the hardest working President we've ever had. He's accomplished more in his first 100 days than any other president.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

ain't nobody asking you to mistake them for friends. you don't call the mercury in a thermometer your friend after it finally moves up from below freezing, but it's still an encouraging sign after a long loving winter.

I really like this analogy. Ze, I usually take umbrage with your post's self righteous nature, but your attitude towards booker I think is the right one to have. I will try and adopt it more when working with people that I don't exactly trust intentions, this thread included.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

John Henry Miller posted:

It's the difference between owning a company and working for a company.

If you own a company, you can do whatever you want. If you work for a company, you have to do whatever the boss said. Trump is his own man whereas Hillary is owned by corporate interests.

That is different from bringing industry experts in to run the government. People who work in business understand business as opposed to academics who never worked a day in their life but think they understand what is happening because of "theory".

Trump is the hardest working President we've ever had. He's accomplished more in his first 100 days than any other president.

Nobody loving cares, this is not the trump thread.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't want a President Booker but if runs in 2020 and wins and at the same time the Progressive Caucus is like half the House and there's a few socialists there as well - well that's pretty much 10x what anyone could have hoped for TBH.

Like I want a socialist in the WH as well, but I'd take a centrist who's more scared of attack on his left flank than the right, for a change, and who acts accordingly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I really like this analogy. Ze, I usually take umbrage with your post's self righteous nature, but your attitude towards booker I think is the right one to have. I will try and adopt it more when working with people that I don't exactly trust intentions, this thread included.

um, nice backhanded compliment i guess?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I will care about them moving the right direction once they show that was the right decision.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Jizz Festival posted:

I think after what happened in California people are a little skeptical that the democrats will actually move forward on medicare for all when they have the power to do it.

I lived in CA at the time, and I am not exactly sure what you wanted from that bill. It was A single payer bill, but not exactly a good one. I would much rather move for a MFA than sand up a new system with no structure.

Ardennes posted:

In all honesty, I think the only way forward is regime change in the Democratic Party itself. Otherwise, it will always be a game of bait and switch and in all honesty, I think we are running out of time (looking at the damage being done).

Regime change is already happening. slowly, and needs to be faster, but democrats are definately going through a change right now. I am not sure just changing the top people is enough as we also have to change the voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Jesus christ it's like you literally can't write a post without whining about something in it.

• Locked thread