Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I hope the walk on proam stuff is improved this year, that was the only online mode I could stand. Even that got super cheesy and the timeout bug actually made me stop playing but it was fun when you had a good team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
By timeout bug do you mean calling a timeout when someone was taking a free throw to gently caress up their UI/camera?

They did fix that around the New Year iirc. But yeah walk-on was the best mode last year, Park was a disaster.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dreylad posted:

By timeout bug do you mean calling a timeout when someone was taking a free throw to gently caress up their UI/camera?

They did fix that around the New Year iirc. But yeah walk-on was the best mode last year, Park was a disaster.

Yes that was it, glad to see they fixed it after a few months of abuse.

Walk on is fun because my 6'10 raw athletic defensive PF can just run the floor, move off the ball and play basketball whereas in MyCareer you need to score 55 to have a chance to win on any given night

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I never tried pro am but that DOES sound fun. Think ill give it a shot

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Pro-AM is great especially if you have a few friends, otherwise it can be like park but worse because shot % are lower because of the increased difficulty.

It's the best game mode though.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I dont have a lot of online friends but i should add a few of you on ps4

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I meant to get into pro am and stuff in 2k17 but mycareer was especially busted with the broken help defense and constant, instant double teaming the minute you had like two "decent" games in a row and then fifa weekend league took over my gaming life.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am excited for Live on Friday.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

cowboy elvis posted:

I am excited for Live on Friday.

I caved and went with 2k, because I am weak and stupid.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Live will probably be discounted by christmas get both

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've traded some poo poo in for 2K as well. More excited to play Live.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm not a big enough basketball guy to buy one of the games at launch but I'm morally behind Live and I'll buy it Christmastime if they have a decent ultimate team mode. Anyone here buying live on xbox?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've got both, I'm excited for both, but Live's demo left me genuinely wanting to know how the story finishes while 2k's left me going 'yea ok it'll be fun to do cool dunks and all like usual'.

Speaking of live's ultimate team, anyone with the early access wanna speak on that? I mean, Madden and all is kinda the iconic 'good ultimate team poo poo' so it's hard to imagine they gently caress up real bad. It is a bit odd that unless I've missed something literally the only way we even know ultimate team even exists is A) it's an EA sports game, and B) the preorder bonuses include a gold Harden, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Huh, neat thing from Youtube I just saw. In Live not only do you instantly get a 'hey this is your agent, you wanna work a trade out' way to change teams if you don't dig your draft but unless it was bugged or something it looks like the draft actually is altered thanks to where you are? Like, some guys are on different teams and all because the dude I'm watching was the #1 pick. If Live has some kinda wacky 'smart draft' in career mode that's cool as hell.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 12, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
One of the older 2k releases did that and it was pretty jarring, it basically meant you couldn't play with the real NBA rosters. If you do a draft I think I prefer the parallel draft, honestly. I do like the idea of trying to trade your draft rights, even though that's hella unrealistic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, its a very awkward issue

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I missed all the good sd card deals and won't have one in time for 2k Switch this week. If anyone sees a good deal on one, pls post it in this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lockback posted:

One of the older 2k releases did that and it was pretty jarring, it basically meant you couldn't play with the real NBA rosters. If you do a draft I think I prefer the parallel draft, honestly. I do like the idea of trying to trade your draft rights, even though that's hella unrealistic.

Yea I dig the 'what if' aspect of the draft changing more realistically but I get how it can be annoying too. I can see why 2k moved away from it but hey, that's the advantage of two games for the same sport.

IntravenusDiMilo
Jul 27, 2004

There's a fine line between stupid...and clever.
I'll be getting both Live and 2K on the Xbox, and I'm excited for both. The Prelude was way too short, but felt pretty good, gameplay-wise. I am surprised how legit Live feels compared to 2K, though. I played a bunch of Live through EA Access over the weekend, and there's a lot to like.

* On-ball defense feels better on Live than what I've seen so far on 2K
* The Pro-Am tour is actually fun and challenging without feeling like the AI is too hard in a bullshit kind of way (the objectives are pretty useless, though, since they don't seem to relate to your character archetype at all)
* I prefer the character progression in Live vs. 2K, especially considering there are zero microtransactions for leveling up. I am excited to see how the progression works this in year in 2K, though, with everything you do contributing to leveling up.
* The AI in both seems to have good and bad in different ways, although the AI in the Prelude, aside from much improved PnR defense, was pretty bad. At least the AI in 2K understands when you're setting them off-ball screens, though.
* I like the "badge" system in Live which is more of a load-out kind of system, where you have to make decisions on what you want to be good at or focus on, but can also change things up depending on who you're running with.

If Live had a 5-on-5 online mode with fouls like 2K Pro-Am, I'm not sure how much 2K I'd be playing this year.

I do like the dual archetype system 2K has this year, and I will be playing rebounding/defense-focused big men in both.

I didn't spend any time on the Live Ultimate Team part of Live, but 2K MyTeam still seems like it has way more to offer at this point.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Have you played any of the franchise mode in Live?

IntravenusDiMilo
Jul 27, 2004

cowboy elvis posted:

Have you played any of the franchise mode in Live?

Nah, I'm not much of a franchise mode guy. On paper, though, it seems like Live has a lot of catching up to do in that area compared to 2K.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is there any bonus for playing the prelude then getting the full game?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eleven extra elephants posted:

Is there any bonus for playing the prelude then getting the full game?

if you get the trophy for taking a selfie before hitting the court you unlock a pair of jordans

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
2K has mercifully granted us the legendary 'actual information and not just 'play what you want :3' answers' now that people are just going 'gently caress it just tell us what rank unlocks things then'.

https://twitter.com/choops4life/status/907670432462934016

86 ball control is for level 3 dribbling, 90 is for the new elite rhythm dribbles so if you wanna do that, there's your skills and heights.

e: and yes, if you're 6'6" with the wrong order apparently kiss elite rhythm dribbles goodbye even if you max skills out.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 13, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So can I finally make a custom Durant instead of whatever lumbering thing 2k thinks tall SF's are?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
ATTN glumslinger https://twitter.com/trillballins/status/907752745536552960

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I am sooooo far removed from everything involving MyCareer

Also, go play Pack And Playoffs this year, its super fun

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 13, 2017

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

IntravenusDiMilo posted:

I'll be getting both Live and 2K on the Xbox, and I'm excited for both. The Prelude was way too short, but felt pretty good, gameplay-wise. I am surprised how legit Live feels compared to 2K, though. I played a bunch of Live through EA Access over the weekend, and there's a lot to like.

* On-ball defense feels better on Live than what I've seen so far on 2K
* The Pro-Am tour is actually fun and challenging without feeling like the AI is too hard in a bullshit kind of way (the objectives are pretty useless, though, since they don't seem to relate to your character archetype at all)
* I prefer the character progression in Live vs. 2K, especially considering there are zero microtransactions for leveling up. I am excited to see how the progression works this in year in 2K, though, with everything you do contributing to leveling up.
* The AI in both seems to have good and bad in different ways, although the AI in the Prelude, aside from much improved PnR defense, was pretty bad. At least the AI in 2K understands when you're setting them off-ball screens, though.
* I like the "badge" system in Live which is more of a load-out kind of system, where you have to make decisions on what you want to be good at or focus on, but can also change things up depending on who you're running with.

If Live had a 5-on-5 online mode with fouls like 2K Pro-Am, I'm not sure how much 2K I'd be playing this year.

I do like the dual archetype system 2K has this year, and I will be playing rebounding/defense-focused big men in both.

I didn't spend any time on the Live Ultimate Team part of Live, but 2K MyTeam still seems like it has way more to offer at this point.

Yeah i played the Live trial too, and I agree on your points especially on-ball defense feeling tighter. Stil feels really laggy or delayed on inputs some times, like trying to Block/Rebound can just amount to nothing. And still a lot of the same issues as 2K with passing not going where you want/expect. It was a pretty bad idea for them to run it so slow, as i feel like it improves greatly by increasing the game speed up to about 90. I feel a lot of people might have been put off instantly by the slow movement.

The ultimate team for Live seems pretty decent to me, played a few games and its much the same as 2K's myTeam although there is less option to customize your team.

I have ordered both, and i suspect i will play 2K more because its way more customizable in all aspects. I like to make expansion teams in myLeague and also create my own Uniform/Arena in myTeam.. Doesnt look like there is much customization at all in Live. Also the camera in Live is still bugging me.

Even if i dont end up playing Live very often i am happy to support it just so they can keep developing and making competition for 2K, as they have gone off the rails with the VC microtransactions and corny stories.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Glumslinger posted:

I am sooooo far removed from everything involving MyCareer

Also, go play Pack And Playoffs this year, its super fun

When does the app launch, I spent way too much time on that dumbass treadmill moneysuck last year

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

When does the app launch, I spent way too much time on that dumbass treadmill moneysuck last year

I think it already launched?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Glumslinger posted:

I think it already launched?

Awesome. Time to tap my screen a bunch

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I haven't downloaded it but I hear they cut VC gains on the app this year

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't downloaded it but I hear they cut VC gains on the app this year

Yeah instead of 500 for playing games plus whatever you can get from the match 3 thing (which was up to a max of like 2500 or something every 3 days) its just a flat 100 bonus a day.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hopterque posted:

Yeah instead of 500 for playing games plus whatever you can get from the match 3 thing (which was up to a max of like 2500 or something every 3 days) its just a flat 100 bonus a day.

How do you get the bonus, is it just logging in?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Away all Goats posted:

How do you get the bonus, is it just logging in?

Yeah, it seems to be sort of broken right now and console log in often end up in a weird endless loop but I've still been getting the VC popups from actual games so who knows.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

hopterque posted:

Holy poo poo, really? That blows. I usually didn't play the game much, but I'd do the max 3.

IntravenusDiMilo
Jul 27, 2004

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Yeah i played the Live trial too, and I agree on your points especially on-ball defense feeling tighter. Stil feels really laggy or delayed on inputs some times, like trying to Block/Rebound can just amount to nothing. And still a lot of the same issues as 2K with passing not going where you want/expect. It was a pretty bad idea for them to run it so slow, as i feel like it improves greatly by increasing the game speed up to about 90. I feel a lot of people might have been put off instantly by the slow movement.

The ultimate team for Live seems pretty decent to me, played a few games and its much the same as 2K's myTeam although there is less option to customize your team.

I have ordered both, and i suspect i will play 2K more because its way more customizable in all aspects. I like to make expansion teams in myLeague and also create my own Uniform/Arena in myTeam.. Doesnt look like there is much customization at all in Live. Also the camera in Live is still bugging me.

Even if i dont end up playing Live very often i am happy to support it just so they can keep developing and making competition for 2K, as they have gone off the rails with the VC microtransactions and corny stories.

Yeah, I will say 2K feels more responsive than Live does. The lag is annoying, but the only time it seems to really affect me is for shot contests (which is especially annoying for defender-type builds).

IntravenusDiMilo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 13, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so apparently they said playing a big in the paint is a much more satisfying experience in 2k18, anyone make one in the prelude to test that out? I'm torn between making a shorter and speed focused guy or a big center rear end kicker for my Driving & Finishing/Post Scorer

IntravenusDiMilo
Jul 27, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

so apparently they said playing a big in the paint is a much more satisfying experience in 2k18, anyone make one in the prelude to test that out? I'm torn between making a shorter and speed focused guy or a big center rear end kicker for my Driving & Finishing/Post Scorer

I play bigs every year, and The Prelude was so short that I couldn't really tell any difference. I didn't do much in the post, so maybe that's where I missed the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IntravenusDiMilo posted:

I play bigs every year, and The Prelude was so short that I couldn't really tell any difference. I didn't do much in the post, so maybe that's where I missed the differences.

yea apparently 2k guys on twitter are specifically saying the post stuff is a big improvement, I typically play bigs too but this time I tried something new so I got no clue.

Good thing we can only play the prelude once

• Locked thread