Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Much like never picking the right orientation for a usb cable on the first try, it drives me nuts when i get it wrong when i'm putting a fitted sheet back on my bed. It happens like 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Microsoft Word automatically sets new documents to "don't add space between paragraphs" no matter how often I try to make the opposite the default setting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who ignore their kids when kids are being shitheels.

I went to a family friend's house today for an art day. Just some fun painting and domino stamp art and poo poo because she never gets a chill day with me and our nieces. So we go to her house, and she has a 6 year old who is, overall, okay. But he gets loving wound up and his mom does nothing. The kid ran to the fridge where I had put my drinks and yanked a Sprite out, and I took it away before he opened it, which he had started to do. His mom said nothing, other than to ask him why he thought he could have soda.

Later we were making the domino art, where you take stamps and make little cute designs on wood dominos. The kid grabbed about 40 pieces...and glued them into a mini tower, which kept breaking, so he kept stealing more dominoes from the pile to add to his gluefest. His mom only asked him to stop using so much glue.

Now I would not have minded him wasting dominoes but I BOUGHT THE FUCKERS. I brought them over just for this, and we were using all my personal supplies, the stamps, the expensive ink, everything. I brought over some snacks, he tore into a bag of candy and ate the entire thing. He spent most of the time screaming the word PENIS over and over and trying to be the center of attention...which as a single child, he gets, a lot.

Our nieces are teens so they kinda watched him, but they were enjoying a parent-free day too, and were doing the art stuff.

So many times I wanted to snap at the kid to shut up and sit down, or just to stop throwing poo poo, or stop chasing their family dog, but it's not my house. gently caress, his mom even complained she was always being asked why they didn't have more kids. "OMG what if there were two of him! He's so wild!" Well, maybe if you DISCIPLINED YOUR KID, HE WOULDN'T BE WILD.

Same idea, I saw my two nephews yesterday. The oldest is 10, the youngest almost 2. So the older kid is used to being the center of grandma and grandpa and everyone's world. He's okay for the most part, but yesterday he was in one of the moods where he wouldn't talk to anyone, sulking nonstop, and then would act out to get attention. Throwing poo poo, jumping on furniture, leaping on his granddad and trying to wrestle. He got sent into a timeout finally, where he was close to crying after a few seconds.

Kid, I understand, I tried to chat with him or ask him about his new love of DBZ and Pokemon, but he wanted his grandparents' attention, not mine. Flat out ignored me and sulked because I turned my attention to the much happier 2 year old, who wasn't walking away or pouting if I tried to talk to him.

Watch your kids, assholes! Try to help them out because it is loving irritating to say nothing!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Same idea, I saw my two nephews yesterday. The oldest is 10, the youngest almost 2. So the older kid is used to being the center of grandma and grandpa and everyone's world. He's okay for the most part, but yesterday he was in one of the moods where he wouldn't talk to anyone, sulking nonstop, and then would act out to get attention. Throwing poo poo, jumping on furniture, leaping on his granddad and trying to wrestle. He got sent into a timeout finally, where he was close to crying after a few seconds.

Sounds closer to how a 5 year old would act than a 10 year old tbh

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the elongating the wrong letter thing can work when deliberately used, like 8-Bit Theatre had a funny use of it where the whole joke was the Black Mage was go enraged he couldn't even finish saying "gently caress". It just came out as "fffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" which in context really sold his incoherent fury.
"I think he's sprung a leak."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Sounds closer to how a 5 year old would act than a 10 year old tbh

Nope, he turned 10 in March. It doesn't help that the baby is his half brother (but no one calls him that) and his stepmom is awesome and beloved by the family...his mom, not s much. So his mom spoils him rotten, his dad wasn't part of his life for the first 5-6 years, and his grandparents were, and spoiled him nonstop as he was the first ever grandkid.

Peeve: family who want to talk politics during a dinner/lunch with kids present. Why do people want to argue politics in a loving restaurant?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nope, he turned 10 in March. It doesn't help that the baby is his half brother (but no one calls him that) and his stepmom is awesome and beloved
Peeve: family who want to talk politics during a dinner/lunch with kids present. Why do people want to argue politics in a loving restaurant?

Or anytime it's inappropriate, really. Why say something controversial in a setting where it would be inappropriate to respond or debate? Last week one of our contingent workers spent ten minutes extolling the virtues of spanking your kids, while we were in a meeting. Even if someone wanted to disagree, it wouldn't have been a good idea to start a debate on such a hot topic. Keep poo poo neutral at work, people.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Much like never picking the right orientation for a usb cable on the first try, it drives me nuts when i get it wrong when i'm putting a fitted sheet back on my bed. It happens like 90% of the time.

I bought some sheets from Target I think and they have labels for Top/Bottom and Sides. There's also an extra elastic band for the corners to keep them tucked. Best sheets ever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I bought some sheets from Target I think and they have labels for Top/Bottom and Sides. There's also an extra elastic band for the corners to keep them tucked. Best sheets ever.

That's just cheating.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Or anytime it's inappropriate, really. Why say something controversial in a setting where it would be inappropriate to respond or debate? Last week one of our contingent workers spent ten minutes extolling the virtues of spanking your kids, while we were in a meeting. Even if someone wanted to disagree, it wouldn't have been a good idea to start a debate on such a hot topic. Keep poo poo neutral at work, people.

My dentist is the worst about this. He's an outspoken Trump supporter while on the job, throws fits if you ask him to change the channel from Fox news, and takes a particular joy from making GBS threads on my generation while he's wrist deep in my mouth. He's the cheapest guy in my area, though, so I have to put up with it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That's just cheating.

you aint cheatin you aint tryin

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dentists talking to you while your mouth is full of sharp objects is some weird poo poo but I'm not sure there are any dentists that don't do it

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
The other night my boyfriend and I invited a couple over who we are friends with for some tabletop games and a movie. They asked if they could bring their puppy along since they didn't want to leave it alone all evening. Said puppy is very cute and on the few occasions we'd seen it before was well-behaved and never had an accident. WELL... when the puppy actually arrived it just pissed everywhere, every couple of minutes, and our friends just sort of laughed about it. They wiped it up with a paper towel but... still, ick. We have a parrot so we're used to his little tiny bird poops, but mammals pissing all over our floor is a whole other ball game. It even peed on the carpet once. That stuff stinks you know! I ended up staying up very, very late washing the entirety of the downstairs floors.

I guess I'm just irritated that they didn't warn us at all? A little "hey, our puppy gets nervous in new places and this might happen" would have been a great heads-up. And I'm going to feel like an rear end in a top hat when I tell them they can't bring it over any more down the road.

At least I've been cured of my vague interest in getting a dog.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

On one hand, if you've ever interacted with a puppy before you have to know that kind of stuff is going to happen no matter what. It's what puppies do.

On the other, they should have brought some cleaner anticipating this and not left it to you to handle. That's the only peeve-worthy thing about the situation to me.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

On one hand, if you've ever interacted with a puppy before you have to know that kind of stuff is going to happen no matter what. It's what puppies do.

I had a dog growing up so I'm aware how puppies are. However, during my previous interactions with this particular puppy it did not exhibit any of these behaviours, so it was a great surprise to me when these events unfolded. I suppose I should have verified that it was indeed housebroken (and not just assumed based on my previous experiences with it), but I also feel like it should be the owner's responsibility to give a little forewarning when inviting their pet over.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Or if they brought a tinkle belt/diaper along with them the entire argument can be avoided

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

Dentists talking to you while your mouth is full of sharp objects is some weird poo poo but I'm not sure there are any dentists that don't do it

My family dentist was born without a personality and only spoke to tell you to open wider or whatever. His hygienist wife however, never stopped talking.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My dentist would always just ben stein style monotone ramble about bullshit the whole time but he'd at least only ask yes or no questions while he's digging around. He burned to death in a car crash recently though. He was pretty good.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

My dentist would always just ben stein style monotone ramble about bullshit the whole time but he'd at least only ask yes or no questions while he's digging around. He burned to death in a car crash recently though. He was pretty good.

what'd you have for dessert?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A Classy Ghost posted:

what'd you have for dessert?

Gums icecream with a blood foam, garnished with tooth fragments.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I need these sheets. I don't know what kind of weird-rear end mattress I have, or what kind of weird-rear end sheets I've been getting, but every set I put on recently is just ridiculously loose and constantly bunching up in the middle or coming untucked from normal rolling-over-in-the-night. They also all catch on or stick to themselves and the flat sheet somehow, so I wake up tangled in fabric with it all bunched up underneath me.

This is the same mattress and the same size of sheet I've been using for years. I have no idea.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

I need these sheets. I don't know what kind of weird-rear end mattress I have, or what kind of weird-rear end sheets I've been getting, but every set I put on recently is just ridiculously loose and constantly bunching up in the middle or coming untucked from normal rolling-over-in-the-night. They also all catch on or stick to themselves and the flat sheet somehow, so I wake up tangled in fabric with it all bunched up underneath me.

This is the same mattress and the same size of sheet I've been using for years. I have no idea.

I've had problems in the past with that too and yeah these don't do that at all. I'll look when I get home at what brand they are but I think they're they "hotel" version that Target carries.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Gums icecream with a blood foam, garnished with tooth fragments.
doesn't sound like rear end to me, i call bullshit on your username *slaps with glove*

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

I feel you on both of these!!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I posted a few months ago about how our office was getting out of hand for multiple birthday/going-away/baby/engagement celebrations. It's getting WORSE. A colleague just came by with a card for me to sign, saying "who the hell is Lorie?"

Lorie works for our facilities department. We had to circulate a thank-you card to the facilities manager who moved us into our new building. I don't know what she did, but it was her job, and the new building absolutely loving sucks, but I wrote "thank you" on it anyway. Like, literally, we're circulating a card to someone for doing her job. Never mind that we actually have a rewards program in place where if you want to thank someone for doing a great job, you can do so online and they can trade their points or whatever in for poo poo that has actual value, but instead we all have to sign a card for a person most of us couldn't pick out of a lineup. Maybe it was meant as a nice gesture, but it rings really hollow.

The admin has everyone's birthdays on a calendar and I suspect she's the one perpetuating this crap. She's a very nice lady but it's getting out of hand. I'm going to ask her privately to do nothing and tell no one about my birthday in a couple of months, and if I get a lunch/pastries/happy hour/birthday cake invite (I'm not kidding, we've done up to three separate celebrations for each occasion), I'm going to decline it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Write thanks for doing your job

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CainsDescendant posted:

My dentist is the worst about this. He's an outspoken Trump supporter while on the job, throws fits if you ask him to change the channel from Fox news, and takes a particular joy from making GBS threads on my generation while he's wrist deep in my mouth. He's the cheapest guy in my area, though, so I have to put up with it.

Unless you two are friends, or he's familiar enough with you that he knows you share the same political views, this is really unprofessional.

Pet peeve: When somebody starts a conversation with "I never discuss politics," Followed by a lengthy diatribe on whatever the current hot-button political issue is. Is the "I never discuss politics" supposed to make me the rear end in a top hat if I don't sit quietly and listen to everything he says?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Games that don't let you pause during cutscenes or boss battles. So when I really have to pee (or whatever) I have to reload an old save--oh and here's another one: not enough checkpoints so you spent 20 min doing stuff but nope! Gotta go back and do it again cause I was in pain from holding it in to the point of pain! And boss battles where if you leave your controller idle in a boss battle he just keeps attacking and you die, so you have to be there 100% of the time, god forbid something IRL happens. And games that don't have enough save points so you stay up till 4 am just to get to one even though you have to work at 9 because if you don't get to that save point you'll lose a gently caress ton of very important progress (many hours worth); and no, I can't leave my system on because my cats will press buttons to ruin everything because they are cats :catstare:

VIDEO GAMES

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've had problems in the past with that too and yeah these don't do that at all. I'll look when I get home at what brand they are but I think they're they "hotel" version that Target carries.

They're the Threshold ones. I have them too and they rule. There's like two rows of elastic on the corners and they're deep pockets so they stay on really well.

My pet peeve is that I have a new coworker who is really nice but always keeps conversations going past that point where it feels like everyone else is done and wants to get back to work. I feel bad for being annoyed, she is cool otherwise :smith:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

I've lost all patience for games that don't respect your time or life outside the game. There are a thousand other fantastic choices for every game that pulls this.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I posted a few months ago about how our office was getting out of hand for multiple birthday/going-away/baby/engagement celebrations. It's getting WORSE. A colleague just came by with a card for me to sign, saying "who the hell is Lorie?"

Lorie works for our facilities department. We had to circulate a thank-you card to the facilities manager who moved us into our new building. I don't know what she did, but it was her job, and the new building absolutely loving sucks, but I wrote "thank you" on it anyway. Like, literally, we're circulating a card to someone for doing her job. Never mind that we actually have a rewards program in place where if you want to thank someone for doing a great job, you can do so online and they can trade their points or whatever in for poo poo that has actual value, but instead we all have to sign a card for a person most of us couldn't pick out of a lineup. Maybe it was meant as a nice gesture, but it rings really hollow.

The admin has everyone's birthdays on a calendar and I suspect she's the one perpetuating this crap. She's a very nice lady but it's getting out of hand. I'm going to ask her privately to do nothing and tell no one about my birthday in a couple of months, and if I get a lunch/pastries/happy hour/birthday cake invite (I'm not kidding, we've done up to three separate celebrations for each occasion), I'm going to decline it.

There's been a rash of deaths recently to the point where 6 or 7 sympathy cards are going around. I'm not a complete cold-hearted bastard, despite my presence here, but at one point a card for a grown woman who lost her grandmother went around and when I asked how she died the person leading the charge said "I dunno but she was 97".

Maybe we don't need a sympathy card for that person? Maybe that takes away from the card for the guy who lost his wife?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Thin Privilege posted:

And boss battles where if you leave your controller idle in a boss battle he just keeps attacking and you die, so you have to be there 100% of the time

I'm with ya on most of this stuff, but are you really complaining about having to be present for boss battles?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm with ya on most of this stuff, but are you really complaining about having to be present for boss battles?

No I mean it's if it's a boss battle where there's no option to pause, so if you walk away from the game, like to use the bathroom, the boss just keeps attacking you till you die.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When you're searching for gift ideas for someone in a specific situation and all you can find are lists of the most generic garbage that they almost definitely already have, and/or is something your grandma would grab at the last second for you at walgreens. For example, someone traveling overseas, the ideas I found on the first link I clicked: a book to read on the airplane, a map of the area, a phrase book of the language they speak there, a travel journal, etc. I'm sure I could find some nice examples of those to make it a little better, but still.

Basically I hate having to be creative on my own.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

When you're searching for gift ideas for someone in a specific situation and all you can find are lists of the most generic garbage that they almost definitely already have, and/or is something your grandma would grab at the last second for you at walgreens. For example, someone traveling overseas, the ideas I found on the first link I clicked: a book to read on the airplane, a map of the area, a phrase book of the language they speak there, a travel journal, etc. I'm sure I could find some nice examples of those to make it a little better, but still.

Basically I hate having to be creative on my own.

You'd be surprised how well a good moleskine journal can go down for someone going overseas for an extended period of time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Intoluene posted:

You'd be surprised how well a good moleskine journal can go down for someone going overseas for an extended period of time.

Is that like an app or something?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Intoluene posted:

I'm trying to think bigger since it's a wedding gift for my brother's honeymoon and want to do something nicer/more creative than a giftcard or an envelope of cash (the latter of which my dad is doing so it would be pretty lame to copy his gift even if I put more in mine).

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Is that like an app or something?

No, it's a specific type of hardcover journal for scribbling notes in. Over here in Australia, they're associated with travel or business.

I'm trying to think bigger since it's a wedding gift for my brother's honeymoon and want to do something nicer/more creative than a giftcard or an envelope of cash (the latter of which my dad is doing so it would be pretty lame to copy his gift even if I put more in mine).

Okay, wedding gift makes this a LOT harder. Godspeed, goon sir.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When people use "exponentially" to mean "quickly". Exponential growth is actually a fairly specific thing that may or may not be fast, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I've never seen that mistake in my life before (thankfully). Maybe they're going for "expediently?" That's the only explanation I can think of in that case.