Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

The bigger question is whether Apple is using the wireless charging standard or just moving us from proprietary lightning cables to proprietary charging pads.

More courage. No ports.

Edit: Ars Technica has a good roundup of all the leaks/further rumors for tomorrow.

Some I wasn't aware of:
Animoji - an iPhone X-exclusive feature where it works like Snapchat filters to create animated emojis based on your face and voice that you then send to others.
3GB of RAM for the X and 8+, 2 for the 8.
The glass back for the 8/8+ which I thought would be exclusive to the X (but which have already been discussed in this thread).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thwomp posted:

More courage. No ports.

I think this is likely within 4 years.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I never remember, do the old models' prices drop when the new phones are announced, when they're available for pre-order, or when they are shipping/available in stores? USA if it makes a difference.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jealous Cow posted:

Man, I would legit stop buying iPhones, and I say this as someone who's been firmly in the "headphone jack doesn't matter" camp. Unless there are more use cases I'm just not seeing, wireless charging ceases to be viable as soon as you step away from the office.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Thwomp posted:

Animoji - an iPhone X-exclusive feature where it works like Snapchat filters to create animated emojis based on your face and voice that you then send to others.

This sounds super creepy and weird.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

At this point in time I think it's possible that the iPhone X is going to be available only as a sim-free model at full price through Apple. It falls in line with the branding involved as well as mitigates some of the supply issues. Barring an actual design change that somehow hasn't leaked, the 8/8+ naming would be a psychological strategy to make it seem like an entirely new product versus the usual s-model spec bump.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Minidust posted:

Man, I would legit stop buying iPhones, and I say this as someone who's been firmly in the "headphone jack doesn't matter" camp. Unless there are more use cases I'm just not seeing, wireless charging ceases to be viable as soon as you step away from the office.

I am ready for the no cables all wireless everything dystopian future.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am ready for the no cables all wireless everything dystopian future.

Agreed. I would be happy to not connect another cable to anything I use.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

I never remember, do the old models' prices drop when the new phones are announced, when they're available for pre-order, or when they are shipping/available in stores? USA if it makes a difference.

I'm curious about this too. I know my carrier had generous trade-in deals leading up to the new iPhone announcement, but I would prefer a straight up discount on a 7S.

I'm going to guess...no though. It'd odd, Apple doesn't even sell (or have stock of) refurbished 7's. I think it's all like 6's and 6S's and the discount isn't that great. So either 7's sell out fast or they just don't offer them.

They get discounted a lot on Swappa and eBay and craigsmurderlist.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jealous Cow posted:

Once someone figures out true wireless charging (not that on a mat bullshit) they might actually eliminate the port. There's a company that has been showing that tech off for like 2 years now, but we're a bit from that becoming a thing. To drop the port you'd need wireless charging and headphone tech to be so ubiquitous that it wouldn't matter.

They took the 3.5mm away but provided a way to keep using those headphones, it kind of sucks if you want to charge at the same time, but the option is there. Take away the only port on the device and you have to be certain the support is there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

astral posted:

Day of announcement.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ouhei posted:

Once someone figures out true wireless charging (not that on a mat bullshit) they might actually eliminate the port. There's a company that has been showing that tech off for like 2 years now, but we're a bit from that becoming a thing. To drop the port you'd need wireless charging and headphone tech to be so ubiquitous that it wouldn't matter.

They took the 3.5mm away but provided a way to keep using those headphones, it kind of sucks if you want to charge at the same time, but the option is there. Take away the only port on the device and you have to be certain the support is there.
I mean, now that I think about it more, I suppose they could do a thing like with the current battery-charging cases. So to charge while driving, you put the battery case on (which now just interfaces with the back of the phone instead of a lightning port) and in turn plug a cable into that case. So it's just an ironic reversal where "conventional" charging now requires adding bulk to the phone with some third-party case.

Couple that with some big advances in battery life and I could see it working as a practical thing.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Minidust posted:

I mean, now that I think about it more, I suppose they could do a thing like with the current battery-charging cases. So to charge while driving, you put the battery case on (which now just interfaces with the back of the phone instead of a lightning port) and in turn plug a cable into that case. So it's just an ironic reversal where "conventional" charging now requires adding bulk to the phone with some third-party case.

Couple that with some big advances in battery life and I could see it working as a practical thing.

Oh I think it's coming in some form within the next 5-10 years. True wireless charging being a safe and reliable thing will change electronics forever. What if your wifi network sent out another signal that charged all your wireless devices? Imagine what you could do when you don't have to worry about running wires to a plug or hardwiring anything. Battery tech could remain roughly the same and it wouldn't matter because your devices are basically always plugged in.

Get that tech up there and all you'd need is something like the smart connector on the iPad pro for emergency/diagnostics cases. So long as a standard is set and used, offices and businesses would just have these power broadcast boxes set around like wifi routers and everything just charges if it's in range.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

Oh I think it's coming in some form within the next 5-10 years. True wireless charging being a safe and reliable thing will change electronics forever. What if your wifi network sent out another signal that charged all your wireless devices? Imagine what you could do when you don't have to worry about running wires to a plug or hardwiring anything. Battery tech could remain roughly the same and it wouldn't matter because your devices are basically always plugged in.

Get that tech up there and all you'd need is something like the smart connector on the iPad pro for emergency/diagnostics cases. So long as a standard is set and used, offices and businesses would just have these power broadcast boxes set around like wifi routers and everything just charges if it's in range.

Intel demo'd wireless electricity in TYOOL two-thousand-freaking-eight (2008):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7NAD-RtGk0

Can only imagine where this is now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Minidust posted:

It's another big failure point. I have a 6S + unlocked, and there are two things that don't work well on it. One is the home button, (which they are about to get rid of) which has somehow completely stopped working, and the charging port is very finicky. It charges, but not with third party cables. Wireless charging cases already exist for the 7+, and new cars like the Prius Prime have built in wireless charging stations. You have a pad at your house, work, and maybe your car if you need it, and that (mostly) covers you. Starbucks already has wireless charging built into a lot of their tables at stores.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sock The Great posted:

Video not available in the US due to copyright.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

Video not available in the US due to copyright.

That's weird. I am in the USA but we have a German IP address at work. Don't see what possible copyright this could infringe upon since it was a public demonstration a decade ago.

Just google Intel Wireless Electricity to have your mind blown.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

There's a company called Energous that's been demoing near ready stuff for a few years now too: https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/energous-wattup-rf-charging-first-products/

They've been hinting that they're working with Apple too, though there's not a ton other than the CEO making semi vague statements.

Honestly, wireless charging as it exists now is pretty useless IMO, stuff like this is the actual leap forward.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah wireless charging now is more of a trickle charge. Give me some full speed quick charge and I'm definitely in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

At this point in time I think it's possible that the iPhone X is going to be available only as a sim-free model at full price through Apple.

This would obviously be a huge bummer for me working at Verizon. I'll also be biased on this, but I think A. Enough people go through cell stores and big boxes where Apple will still sell phones through there, and B. Either way payment plans have become super popular so I'm be shocked if Apple didn't offer it on payment plan.

Now if you are saying the iPhone X will only be available at Apple stores at launch, then later at other places, that would probably be correct. The iPhone 7+ last year was only in Apple stores for launch, then trickled into carrier stores about 2-4 weeks later.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I think I'm willing to give up Touch ID for an oled screen. Despite hating everything about android on a Pixel, that screen ruined me for LCD.

What was so bad about Android on a pixel?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Crampy Grampaw posted:

The answer is in your question.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Crampy Grampaw posted:

The Android

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made a iPhone event thread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nice!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah wireless charging now is more of a trickle charge. Give me some full speed quick charge and I'm definitely in.

The various pads quickcharge, which means they charge phones wirelessly quicker than an iPhone charges.
The actual uses remain pretty niche though.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If it doesn't include the pad to charge it in the box (it won't), I don't see it catching on. It's a nice "me too" from Apple though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

If it doesn't include the pad to charge it in the box (it won't), I don't see it catching on. It's a nice "me too" from Apple though.

There's absolutely no chance it will come with the phone. It will most likely be a $49.99 accessory.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

This would obviously be a huge bummer for me working at Verizon. I'll also be biased on this, but I think A. Enough people go through cell stores and big boxes where Apple will still sell phones through there, and B. Either way payment plans have become super popular so I'm be shocked if Apple didn't offer it on payment plan.

Now if you are saying the iPhone X will only be available at Apple stores at launch, then later at other places, that would probably be correct. The iPhone 7+ last year was only in Apple stores for launch, then trickled into carrier stores about 2-4 weeks later.

I preordered my 7+ through verizon on day one?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's absolutely no chance it will come with the phone. It will most likely be a $49.99 accessory.

The Watch dock is $79.00. I'd expect an iPhone dock to be at least that, probably more. And have a MFi requirement so it'll be six to nine months before any 3rd party docks are available.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel like the xXiPhoneXx is going to come with AirPods and a wireless charging dock if the $1000 MSRP estimate plays out. Also if the "no ports at all" thing plays out, but I dunno, that seems really courageous.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

enojy posted:

I feel like the xXiPhoneXx is going to come with AirPods and a wireless charging dock

Absolutely not

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a iOS planner app?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just a hunch, and only if the $1000 thing pans out. I'm not sure why it'd merit a $300 premium otherwise... ah poo poo! I forgot, this is Apple we're talking about here.

Actually, I forgot that $700 applies to the non-plus base model. Isn't the X supposedly starting at 128GB? With probably a 5+" screen, yeah, maybe no AirPods or other packaged incentives besides exclusivity.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 11, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Any recommendations for a iOS planner app?

Outlook has a decent calendar / the stock calendar works well too both can connect to Exchange and do all that stuff, but I use Todoist for todo lists, nice because there's a macOS and Windows app as well, and you can easily share lists with people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

Just a hunch, and only if the $1000 thing pans out. I'm not sure why it'd merit a $300 premium otherwise... ah poo poo! I forgot, this is Apple we're talking about here.

Actually, I forgot that $700 applies to the non-plus base model. Isn't the X supposedly starting at 128GB? With probably a 5+" screen, yeah, maybe no AirPods or other packaged incentives besides exclusivity.

The OLED screen adds about $75-$100 in parts to the phone.

OLED is still pretty expensive

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Duckman2008 posted:

The answer is in your question.

What is the actual reason?

I’m curious because I’ve had nothing but pain and disappointment on the software side since switching from a Nexus to an iPhone

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Android is a loving dumpster fire of bad design and poo poo performance.

Saying Android is to iOS as Windows is to MacOS isn't even fare...

It's more like Android is to iOS as Linux on the desktop in the late 90s is to MacOS.

Out of the box I was getting "system errors" because Android was trying to update system apps in an order that violated dependencies.

Out of the box. Fresh from google.

Third party apps are awful. The design is horribly inconsistent, performance is awful, and everything just feels slapped together.

I once expressed these opinions to my 200 twitter followers and nearly got run off the internet by idiots that spend all day searching for people criticizing android.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i also find the android experience to generally be unoptimized and bug-ridden but as a developer it sure does make things easy for you, and as a power-user you can janitor the hell out of your phone
luckily i only touch android when work ropes me into doing some stupid mobile thing, but i had an android tablet for a while and it was ok i guess.

different strokes for different folks i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

enojy posted:

If you take the general concept behind the `Edition` moniker and apply it to the X (just going back to those "iPhone Edition" rumors), it makes sense that it's a device that not everyone is going to be able to afford.

A vast majority of people will buy the 8/8+ and still have the second best phone on the market.