Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

TenCentFang posted:

"Think of him as a drug lord, and us as cops on his payroll" stood out, but it just wasn't a funny episode, which compared to every episode of season one and very nearly every episode of season 2, has really been this season in a nutshell. Still, it wasn't a bad episode, like the Vindicators.

I don't get people who keep saying this season is bad. It's easily the best one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That was one of the best episodes of the series, and this is coming from a guy who didn't enjoy the first Citadel episode. I am not entirely sure if I want the Citadel storyine to cross with the main show again, though. I think this episode worked so well because it didn't have to deal with the concept of "The Rickiest Rick", which allowed it basically to be all about Rick (and Morty).

I hate that I have to be a bit spoilery here, but if you enjoyed the concept of a world with multiple versions of the same two individuals interacting with each other, you should read Zack Parson's novel Liminal States.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rexides posted:

That was one of the best episodes of the series, and this is coming from a guy who didn't enjoy the first Citadel episode. I am not entirely sure if I want the Citadel storyine to cross with the main show again, though. I think this episode worked so well because it didn't have to deal with the concept of "The Rickiest Rick", which allowed it basically to be all about Rick (and Morty).

I hate that I have to be a bit spoilery here, but if you enjoyed the concept of a world with multiple versions of the same two individuals interacting with each other, you should read Zack Parson's novel Liminal States.

Liminal States is pretty good!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

The Human Crouton posted:

Does Evil Morty have any real conflict with Rick C137? Evil Morty never actually targeted C137. They only crossed paths because The Citadel naively blamed C137 for Evil Morty's crimes.

Evil Morty could be pissed at C137 for ruining his original plan, but he seems too pragmatic to actually seek revenge on a enemy that doesn't even give a poo poo that he exists.

Evil Morty (via Evil Rick) remotely altered C137's portal gun data to make it look like he murdered the other Ricks.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Also, the fact that more or less every other version of himself got together and made that shithole explains a lot about Rick.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, the fact that more or less every other version of himself got together and made that shithole explains a lot about Rick.

We don't know enough about the multiverse to know. Maybe the citadel has a population of a million, and that could represent only 1% of known ricks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's obvious. Our Rick is the reason Evil Morty is evil. He's likely our Rick's original Morty. It's why he treats our Morty like poo poo to keep him in his place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Awesome ep but I did kinda want to see an Atlantis episode lol. Good credits song and sounds very familiar to something I've heard before.

Teasing at the end that Morty even got laid is a real tease.

They know we want the Atlantis episode. They can't do it now though, it'd be hard to actually deliver. It works better if we don't see it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think the "bootleg portal gun fluid" death of Rick was possibly my single favorite animation in the whole series.

I'm not even sure why. It was just really slick.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

It's obvious. Our Rick is the reason Evil Morty is evil. He's likely our Rick's original Morty. It's why he treats our Morty like poo poo to keep him in his place.

But the rick and morty of the show are both c-137, unless that's a lie. Which it could be.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the "bootleg portal gun fluid" death of Rick was possibly my single favorite animation in the whole series.

I'm not even sure why. It was just really slick.

It also revealed some information about how the portal gun works, even if only a little. And 'bootleg' portal gun fluid? So the ricks in the citadel aren't allowed to have their own portal guns? hosed up, man. Or maybe bootleg fluid can't be tracked, or something like that. Anyway, it was some subtly dropped information about the portal gun that seems ripe for rampant speculation.

LividLiquid posted:

Is it ever explained if C-137 is the show's universe, or the show's previous, now-Cronenberged universe?

That notwithstanding, a lie would be involved, but it's not like Rick never lies.

We don't even really know if that's actually c-137 or if he simply fooled the council of ricks into thinking he was. As morty put it in ep 1 of this season, whenever rick's around, everything real becomes fake, everything fake becomes real....there's really no way to tell what's true and what's not about rick.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 11, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Typically, yes. Most Hollywoo actors have a German voice actor who does most if not all of their dubbings. I'm not sure of the particulars, though. Just that if you watch German versions of a lot of movies, you'll hear the same guys over and over again. The funny part is most German VAs that do this are stand ins for multiple actors, so you'll get times where they're talking to themselves if they happen to cover two major actors in the same film.

Edit: Indeed it is!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

From several pages ago and obviously drowned out by the new episode, but I wanted to say another funny thing is that in Germany they dubbed over Arnold Schwarzenegger's english speaking roles with a different actor, despite the fact that he offered to do it himself, because the Austrian accent is basically the "hick" accent in German and it would have given roles like the Terminator a VERY different tone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Evil Morty's Rick was the Rick we saw in that episode. He was being controlled as an electronic puppet by Evil Morty, but he was still a Rick once upon a time.

empty whippet box posted:

It also revealed some information about how the portal gun works, even if only a little. And 'bootleg' portal gun fluid? So the ricks in the citadel aren't allowed to have their own portal guns? hosed up, man. Or maybe bootleg fluid can't be tracked, or something like that. Anyway, it was some subtly dropped information about the portal gun that seems ripe for rampant speculation.

This is maybe what I love most about Rick & Morty. The feel that there's so much more going on in the world that they don't stop to explain, they just show a quick flash of it. But obviously there's thought put into it, how it works, and if you're clever you can work it out just off the tiny bits we see.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I liked that in the election there are like five Ricks and only one Morty. So that makes it much easier for Morty to win, since Rick voters will end up dividing their vote. Like Trump in the Republican primaries

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

But the rick and morty of the show are both c-137, unless that's a lie. Which it could be.
Is it ever explained if C-137 is the show's universe, or the show's previous, now-Cronenberged universe?

That notwithstanding, a lie would be involved, but it's not like Rick never lies.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The Rick candidates for the Council of Ricks are

Retired General Rick, Private Sector Rick, Juggling Rick, Rick Guilt Rick, and Reverse Rick Outrage

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Evil Morty's Rick was the Rick we saw in that episode. He was being controlled as an electronic puppet by Evil Morty, but he was still a Rick once upon a time.
But how do you know that was his original Rick?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think my favorite thing about the episode in general was bad cop morty. The way he goes to interrogate the morties in the alleyway by adopting their mannerisms and acting like he's 'one of them' seems to me like an indictment of cops doing the same thing to citizens, maybe especially black cops, though I could be reaching too far there(I don't think I am, but I could be). "Morties killing morties" is a lot more on the nose about it, though.

I also wonder if bad cop morty wasn't the Rickest Morty.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think my favorite thing about the episode in general was bad cop morty. The way he goes to interrogate the morties in the alleyway by adopting their mannerisms and acting like he's 'one of them' seems to me like an indictment of cops doing the same thing to citizens, maybe especially black cops, though I could be reaching too far there(I don't think I am, but I could be). "Morties killing morties" is a lot more on the nose about it, though.

You either die a Morty or live long enough to become a Rick.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

jaete posted:

I liked that in the election there are like five Ricks and only one Morty. So that makes it much easier for Morty to win, since Rick voters will end up dividing their vote. Like Trump in the Republican primaries

Not if they are using an instant-runoff voting system. Rick would have never allowed a Morty to have a chance to win the elections like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

Teasing at the end that Morty even got laid is a real tease.

They know we want the Atlantis episode. They can't do it now though, it'd be hard to actually deliver. It works better if we don't see it.

I can't see them doing a whole episode of a fun adventure in which everything goes well.

The whole Atlantis bit was a joke.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I always thought Morty just heard Rick identify himself that way and just sort of picked it up. Morty probably is just assuming that he is C-137 Morty, when all we really know is that Rick Prime is C-137 Rick. Dimension C-137 is presumably the one that was Cronenburged, but it could also be another one altogether taht we've never seen.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Funkmaster General posted:

I always thought Morty just heard Rick identify himself that way and just sort of picked it up. Morty probably is just assuming that he is C-137 Morty, when all we really know is that Rick Prime is C-137 Rick. Dimension C-137 is presumably the one that was Cronenburged, but it could also be another one altogether taht we've never seen.

Actually we do know that that wasn't our rick's original universe, because in that episode he explains that he's 'only got a few of these left'. So he's already destroyed multiple universes and ran off to other ones. That's how he knew that they could do it. He didn't come up with that idea on the fly, he had already done it.

Therefore, either rick isn't c-137 or morty isn't c-137

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

But how do you know that was his original Rick?

We don't but occam's razor its more likely than C-137 somehow being his original Rick. Until we have evidence otherwise.

LividLiquid posted:

Its never hard confirmed AFAIK, but there were a lot of theories about the jerry daycare ticket episode floating around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah that was definitely the implication.

The way he easily slips into "well, hey, jeeze guys, what's going on fellas?" but its funny because instead of tough-guy urban slang, its Morty-speak.

But my favorite part of that was when he said "your Rick" and Morty took it personally and snapped out "He's not my Rick! He's my Partner!!......ah...jeeze." and the "Ah, jeeze" part is still in the angry tone of voice, that was great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Actually we do know that that wasn't our rick's original universe, because in that episode he explains that he's 'only got a few of these left'. So he's already destroyed multiple universes and ran off to other ones. That's how he knew that they could do it. He didn't come up with that idea on the fly, he had already done it.

Or that was a joke about TV.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Baronjutter posted:

We don't know enough about the multiverse to know. Maybe the citadel has a population of a million, and that could represent only 1% of known ricks.

They keep saying something about the "Central Finite Curve," which is probably the way's show of addressing that without actually addressing it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

That's a meta-joke about how they can't just solve all of their problems by hopping to another universe every time they gently caress everything up without the show losing credibility. It's a wink at the fourth wall, nothing more.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

vermin posted:

The Rick candidates for the Council of Ricks are

Retired General Rick, Private Sector Rick, Juggling Rick, Rick Guilt Rick, and Reverse Rick Outrage

Reverse Rick Outrage was dressed like the "Rent Is Too drat High" guy, but was Rick Guilt Rick supposed to be a reference to anything?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

They keep saying something about the "Central Finite Curve," which is probably the way's show of addressing that without actually addressing it.

Have they mentioned it more than the once? We as a thread keep mentioning it but I don't think it came up on the show past that one time.

That was a way of addressing the problem of having literally infinite Ricks.

Nah that just means Rick scoped out viable universes at some point, which we already knew.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It's perfect. I can conjure up images of exactly what it is, and they work for me, but the show doesn't have to dwell on it, and other viewers can imagine it themselves.

It's the kind of Star Wars explanation for a thing that would later get ruined by a tie-in novel (or a prequel movie) by loving explaining it.

QuoProQuid posted:

Reverse Rick Outrage was dressed like the "Rent Is Too drat High" guy, but was Rick Guilt Rick supposed to be a reference to anything?
White guilt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

It's perfect. I can conjure up images of exactly what it is, and they work for me, but the show doesn't have to dwell on it, and other viewers can imagine it themselves.

It's the kind of Star Wars explanation for a thing that would later get ruined by a tie-in novel (or a prequel movie) by loving explaining it.

Its really just the math concept of cardinality of infinite sets.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Has anyone thought that perhaps Evil Morty is a clean Morty that never got his toxins back?

uhh yeah rick, i mean, there's infinite mortys so some of them must be confident on their own right?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Zaphod42 posted:

Have they mentioned it more than the once? We as a thread keep mentioning it but I don't think it came up on the show past that one time.

I think this episode marks its second usage (the first being in the episode that introduced the Citadel), but I couldn't swear to that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really just the math concept of cardinality of infinite sets.
I'm not a math guy. I just pictured it as the space between two variablues of infinite universes where the universes were similar enough to have a Rick and Morty. Anything outside of that wouldn't have them, and the farther you get out from each end of the finite curve, the more you're gonna' get blender dimension and dimension of butts.

But the show didn't have to explain it. It gave me the tools to come up with something satisfying for myself, and then just leaves it there. I don't need The Force explained by miticlorians. The answer to "how does the force work" is "very well, thank you."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Look at Factory Rick, for example. His only demand was a portal gun, and it was clearly pre-calibrated by Rick Security before he could get his hands on it.

I think life in the Citadel goes as follows. You live your day to day Rick life, have your Rick job back at home to make the Rick ends meet, rent out a portal gun for a bit of Citadel-sanctioned adventure, and then go back home to veg out with your Morty a bit. To many Ricks, it's probably less than ideal and fine enough. Sure, you have to be part of society, but it's better than dealing with the Federation of your universe, everyone else is someone you can tolerate and get on the same wavelength as, and you get some of the Rickiness of being a Rick without the constant danger associated. Obviously, the Ricks whose jobs are "business owner" and "council leader" that's better than the Ricks stuck pushing buttons to make machines work. To our Rick, that's all needless limitation, and he says screw you and screw the system.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I'm not a math guy. I just pictured it as the space between two variablues of infinite universes where the universes were similar enough to have a Rick and Morty. Anything outside of that wouldn't have them, and the farther you get out from each end of the finite curve, the more you're gonna' get blender dimension and dimension of butts.

But the show didn't have to explain it. It gave me the tools to come up with something satisfying for myself, and then just leaves it there. I don't need The Force explained by miticlorians. The answer to "how does the force work" is "very well, thank you."

I agree but midichlorians are worse because they changed the force from being a quasi-religious mystic thing to a hard science thing. Just explaining things instead of showing them is bad but that's worse. Taking something people have loved for years and in a sequel to a sequel to a sequel re-defining what it meant the whole universe over, even in the old films, is a huge change and can't be compared to something like simply explaining what a thingy is.

But anyways I just really like math and wish more people did too. Its cool stuff :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I think this episode marks its second usage (the first being in the episode that introduced the Citadel), but I couldn't swear to that.

Good catch, I'm rewatching the episode and the "simple rick" commercial voice-over mentions it. I missed that because its such a quick side commercial thing. Interesting stuff.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
just thought of something: while there are infinite universes, there isn't infinite time to explore them all

so Rick saying they can only pull this off a few more times can totally jive with an infinite worlds theory.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zaphod42 posted:

That was a way of addressing the problem of having literally infinite Ricks.

They mention it in this episode; Simple Rick is a few units off the central finite curve, hence why he's a family man and not a mad genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

maskenfreiheit posted:

just thought of something: while there are infinite universes, there isn't infinite time to explore them all

so Rick saying they can only pull this off a few more times can totally jive with an infinite worlds theory.

It's a meta tv show reference.