Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

maskenfreiheit posted:

just thought of something: while there are infinite universes, there isn't infinite time to explore them all

so Rick saying they can only pull this off a few more times can totally jive with an infinite worlds theory.
There are infinite worlds. There aren't infinite worlds with Ricks and Morties, is how I interpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

It's a meta tv show reference.

Why are you guys so quick to dismiss it this way? Is there a concrete reason why rick was suddenly breaking the fourth wall to make a meta tv joke that isn't meant to be canon in the middle of an episode? I'm gonna go watch the episode again, I guess.

LividLiquid posted:

There are infinite worlds. There aren't infinite worlds with Ricks and Morties, is how I interpret it.

That doesn't make any sense, if there are infinite world then by definition there are infinite ricks and morties.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

QuoProQuid posted:

Reverse Rick Outrage was dressed like the "Rent Is Too drat High" guy, but was Rick Guilt Rick supposed to be a reference to anything?

I thought Rick Guilt Rick was the rent guy.

(It was the gloves that made me notice it.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

empty whippet box posted:

Is there a concrete reason why rick was suddenly breaking the fourth wall to make a meta tv joke that isn't meant to be canon in the middle of an episode?

He does it a lot. He did it this episode too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is there a concrete reason why rick was suddenly breaking the fourth wall to make a meta tv joke that isn't meant to be canon in the middle of an episode?

Like when he says "Lick lick lick my balls! Yeah, I say that all the time!" (See, because that's what he said in the original Doc and Mharti video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0u15voZRFI

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 11, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

prefect posted:

I got my Rick names mixed up!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Not to go far down this rabbit hole, but if there's infinite worlds then there are infinite worlds with Ricks and Morties and infinite worlds without Ricks and Morties. That's what "infinite" means. (I feel like I should be doing this post like Rick's speech patterns). The "central finite curve" can mean a lot of things but what it comes down to is it's the reason that a random Rick has a three digit dimension code instead of a quintillion digit long code. It's the reason that the galaxy isn't packed end to end with degenerate Morty matter. It's the reason why there can be a one "Rent is Too drat High Rick" instead of an entire planet of them. And those examples are scaled down in a way so that your brain can wrap itself around them. When you start dealing with infinites things get crazy fast. It's better to just accept the premise given to you than start trying to make Rick and Morty fit into that.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
There are infinite universes with Ricks but also infinite universes without Ricks. But that second infinity is still a bigger infinity.

Think about infinite trees.

How many trees? Infinity
How many leaves on those trees? Infinity

Are there more trees or leaves? Leaves

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Splendid posted:

There are infinite universes with Ricks but also infinite universes without Ricks. But that second infinity is still a bigger infinity.

Think about infinite trees.

How many trees? Infinity
How many leaves on those trees? Infinity

Are there more trees or leaves? Leaves

Yep this right here is the concept of cardinality

There's infinite integers and infinite real numbers but for every single integer there are infinite reals, so even though infinite is infinite, there's more reals than integers.

And you have to imagine that other ricks blow up their worlds and move to others too, not just C-137. So he can only go so far until he runs into another universe that another Rick has already "used". So there's a concept of a localized pocket of dimensions within the greater whole of infinity dimensions.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Why are you guys so quick to dismiss it this way? Is there a concrete reason why rick was suddenly breaking the fourth wall to make a meta tv joke that isn't meant to be canon in the middle of an episode? I'm gonna go watch the episode again, I guess.

In the first loving episode of this show, Rick implores Morty "Don't think about it!" What he meant by this was "Don't think about it!"

It's a goofy science fiction comedy. This thread is terrible.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Anyone else get a Richard Dawkins vibe from Reverse Rick Outrage?

I also enjoyed that the news team are all (presumably) progressively shittier clones of the same Rick.

This season is killing it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep this right here is the concept of cardinality

There's infinite integers and infinite real numbers but for every single integer there are infinite reals, so even though infinite is infinite, there's more reals than integers.

And you have to imagine that other ricks blow up their worlds and move to others too, not just C-137. So he can only go so far until he runs into another universe that another Rick has already "used". So there's a concept of a localized pocket of dimensions within the greater whole of infinity dimensions.

I remember in 10th grade my Algebra teacher started to explain this concept to us off of some tangent and began to draw the symbols that represent them on the board. I told her it looked like she was just making them up on the spot. There were lots of squiggly lines, but they weren't greek letters or anything recognizable like that.

And now I'm looking for examples online and I can't find any so...maybe she really was making them up...!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Concatenation posted:

Anyone else get a Richard Dawkins vibe from Reverse Rick Outrage?

I also enjoyed that the news team are all (presumably) progressively shittier clones of the same Rick.

This season is killing it.

I took it more like "these are all the same rick, but each of them were injured / scarred differently from the same incident. So three different offshoots of same universe, three different ricks.

Incidentally, this may mean that C-137 is both the Cronenberg'd universe and the one Rick and Morty took over for their dead counterparts. I haven't seen the ep. in a while but the implication was it was the same except Dead Rick solved the whole virus thing in time.

Probably overthinking it but thinking about it is fun!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

FELD1 posted:

In the first loving episode of this show, Rick implores Morty "Don't think about it!" What he meant by this was "Don't think about it!"

How does an ostensibly grown rear end adult arrive at "don't think about it" as a response to anything? What a banal loving boring thing to think

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, this episode was really cool. The idea of the citadel and infinite copies of the same two or so people living on it is a great Sci-Fi concept.

But yeah, I agree with C137 Rick. It's not something they should keep going back to. To me, the show is about The Smith family falling apart because Beth and Jerry ultimately despise each other and do a really good job of hiding it and Rick is the most toxic person in the multiverse.

The citadel would need to be it's own complete show and Rick and Morty needs Beth, Summer and Jerry at this point.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, this episode was really cool. The idea of the citadel and infinite copies of the same two or so people living on it is a great Sci-Fi concept.

But yeah, I agree with C137 Rick. It's not something they should keep going back to. To me, the show is about The Smith family falling apart because Beth and Jerry ultimately despise each other and do a really good job of hiding it and Rick is the most toxic person in the multiverse.

The citadel would need to be it's own complete show and Rick and Morty needs Beth, Summer and Jerry at this point.

On its face I agree with you but...

Counterpoint: the two best episodes this season (for me) were basically all Rick and Morty

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

prefect posted:

Holy hell :chanpop:

Just got back to work to echo that this is easily the best episode of the season, even with the highs like Pickle Rick or Whirly Dirly. I guess this is where they spent all the time that they didn't on the Vindicators episode, and I gotta say it was worth it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Mulva posted:

It's a meta tv show reference.

NO IT IS REAL AND ROOTED IN SCIENCE :colbert:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

That doesn't make any sense, if there are infinite world then by definition there are infinite ricks and morties.

One thing does not imply the other. You could have infinite worlds and only one with Rick and Morty. The number of Rick and Morties universes is whatever the show writer decides.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"Ohhh, we'll be right back, ladies and gentlemen."

"Hey, look, it's like a where's waldo painting!"

"See you next season! Season 2!"

etc. He does it all the time. It's a common trait of Dan Harmon shows, and Rick and Morty is even more explicit about it than Community was.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

"Ohhh, we'll be right back, ladies and gentlemen."

"Hey, look, it's like a where's waldo painting!"

"See you next season! Season 2!"

etc. He does it all the time. It's a common trait of Dan Harmon shows, and Rick and Morty is even more explicit about it than Community was.

No, I know he does it all the time. That's not in question. I went back and watched it again. I was wondering what, specifically, about this time made you guys think that he wasn't saying that he had done this before. I'm wrong, but it's not 'because they do that all the time' but specifically because Rick does not in fact indicate that he had done it before. He says 'they can't just do this every week, we only get 3 or 4 more of these, tops'. That in no way indicates that he's done it before, thus I was incorrect. Thus, I was wrong, and also you are all wrong about why I was wrong, thus we are all wrong together. Now we're aaaaaall accountable.

FELD1 posted:

congrats to this guy for being the wrongest of everyone

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Don't think about it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Ps the moral of this episode is the best Rick rejects the idea of the Citadel, which is a dystopian city of various himselfs, and goes on cool adventures with the best Morty, and if you concentrate on poo poo that doesn't really matter to those two (who are best) you miss out on some mer-puss

Now let's get this all out of the way and move on the to item fifty-nine in tonight's agenda, which concerns timelines in Legend of Zelda

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The show creators have said multiple times not to think about it too hard and how they don't want to go up their own rear end with super complex continuity. That's why people are telling you this.

I mean, if you really, really want to you can figure out the intricate canon which accurately describes everything you're seeing, but keep in mind that the show's writers aren't even trying to adhere to it, in which case, what's the point?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
"What does your kind say? Don't think about it?"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that was a loving masterpiece.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

a cock shaped fruit posted:

"What does your kind say? Don't think about it?"

Loved this line. And this whole episode was fantastically hilarious. There are way too many great moments.. this one's definitely worth a rewatch

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

lol I doubt we've seen the last of the citadel. It's the perfect metaphor for Rick's self-destructiveness and self-loathing.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
"You want to reign in your Morty?"

That line at the beginning really stuck with me. I think it's interesting that our Morty is becoming more and more of an outlier on the Morty scale.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jaete posted:

I liked that in the election there are like five Ricks and only one Morty. So that makes it much easier for Morty to win, since Rick voters will end up dividing their vote. Like Trump in the Republican primaries

Yeah, my first thought was that Morty would win in a landslide and then my second thought was "do Mortys get a vote?"

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

prefect posted:

It made me laugh when I realized who he modeled after

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

The show creators have said multiple times not to think about it too hard and how they don't want to go up their own rear end with super complex continuity. That's why people are telling you this.

I mean, if you really, really want to you can figure out the intricate canon which accurately describes everything you're seeing, but keep in mind that the show's writers aren't even trying to adhere to it, in which case, what's the point?

They don't want to, yet they do. No way evil morty and the citadel doesn't come back to haunt rick, him saying that they'd never have any effect on them ever again was pretty obviously foreshadowing. I think one of the genius parts of this show is that they do such a good job of not giving a gently caress while actually giving a whole bunch of fucks actually, because for something with such a disdain for continuity it's actually got really good continuity. Hell yeah I want to sit around and puzzle over dumb little aspects of a science fiction cartoon, if you don't see the point in that then I'm not really sure how you wound up reading or posting in a thread about it in the first place.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
The 10th episode's synopsis is literally "Rick goes on a confrontation with the President."

Y'all guys need to gradu-uh...grad- gradjutate Rick and Morty school, this episode was a huge set up.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They don't want to, yet they do. No way evil morty and the citadel doesn't come back to haunt rick, him saying that they'd never have any effect on them ever again was pretty obviously foreshadowing.

Remember that they seemingly put Rick in a really deep hole in the cliffhanger last season, but Rick was easily able to overcome it, to the point where it questionable whether he planned the whole thing that way.

Because remember, Rick is a demon, or super-hosed-up god. He can do anything. It doesn't matter what Evil Morty's plans are, Rick will either beat him, ignore him, or just plain bail. Any of those would be interesting and I'm sure amusing as hell. But I would expect this show to continue to build up expectations only to undercut them, rather than make some showdown between Rick and Evil Morty the centerpiece of any legitimate story arc.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm calling evil Morty getting murdered by Morty.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

a cock shaped fruit posted:

The 10th episode's synopsis is literally "Rick goes on a confrontation with the President."

Y'all guys need to gradu-uh...grad- gradjutate Rick and Morty school, this episode was a huge set up.

Yeah but...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-a7848171.html

quote:

The pair also revealed that Keith David will be back to voice "the god dammed President of the United loving States!", a character first seen in the episode 'Get Schwifty'.

Could go either way, really.

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm calling evil Morty getting murdered by Morty.

Jerry.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

But I would expect this show to continue to build up expectations only to undercut them, rather than make some showdown between Rick and Evil Morty the centerpiece of any legitimate story arc.

This is an especially good point after the atlantis fake-out they did this week.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Like I said, there are infinite worlds with Rick and Mortys. But there is not infinite time to explore them all. Most likely each Rick ends up developing portal technology and coming across other Ricks, and over time you get a spiderweb of known Rick-having worlds. I-i-i-it's not that complicated guys.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

timp posted:

I remember in 10th grade my Algebra teacher started to explain this concept to us off of some tangent and began to draw the symbols that represent them on the board. I told her it looked like she was just making them up on the spot. There were lots of squiggly lines, but they weren't greek letters or anything recognizable like that.

And now I'm looking for examples online and I can't find any so...maybe she really was making them up...!

I see you never went to hebrew school.

PS By forums moderator decree, the trees and the leaves have the same cardinality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was my favorite episode of this show ever. Move over Meseeks and Destroy.