Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Palpek posted:

Some games went for it early.

Deus Ex left the Twin Towers out of the NYC skyline, and the developers explained it away by saying that terrorists had blown them up

Deus Ex was released one year before 9/11

:tinfoil:

Palpek posted:

IMO If you dye in the game, you dye in real life.

:golfclap: This is a drat good joke for a Monday

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The biggest shame about the destiny shaders is how boring most of them are. It seems like most items only really display one of the four colors in each palette.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zaggitz posted:

Due to me living in the middle of nowhere, I will likely not get Ys 8 in the mail until a few days after it comes out so I would just like to wish everyone else getting it a good time with one of the worst localizations in recent history.

Also the PC port is garbage apparently.

It's NISA so I wasn't expecting much, but what's wrong with the translation?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

It's NISA so I wasn't expecting much, but what's wrong with the translation?

Everything is absurdly stiff like it was directly translated and then not edited for style or tone. All the phrasing is awkward and doesn't sound natural in English. The voice acting is also pretty bad with actors not putting emphasis on the right words in sentences, indicating that they were not given good context or voice direction.

And it's most frustrating when you compare it to XSeed giving the Trails games the best localization in all of video games.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Destiny 2 a lot the last week. It's so much fun
Let's all have fun playing games.
Someone buy a psn game and have fun. US: GGMF-DQNH-GTT3

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That really sucks about Ys8 and is unfortunately about what I was expecting when I heard they went with NISA. I might end up just skipping this one. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The biggest shame about the destiny shaders is how boring most of them are. It seems like most items only really display one of the four colors in each palette.

Are you basing that on the game of the model viewer? Because the model viewer doesn't use shaders (real shaders, shader programs) it just loads the basic flat texture color of the shader (destiny cosmetic thing, stupid name bungie) to give you a preview. Many of them are very off.

Destiny had a ton of lovely shaders until you hit max level, mostly orange and blue. You didn't get a basic red or green for hours. But once you got deep in the game you got all kinds of sick glow-in-the-dark rare raid shaders.

D2 making them consumables is dumb though.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Old Man Murray fought 9/11 the only way they knew how.
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/21.html

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sefal posted:

I've been playing Destiny 2 a lot the last week. It's so much fun
Let's all have fun playing games.
Someone buy a psn game and have fun. US: GGMF-DQNH-GTT3

Thanks! I'm going to finally play Horizon Zero Dawn

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

He literally posted this morning I don't know what any of you are talking about

This forum is larger than just the games chat thread

I'm pretty sure we were specifically talking about the games chat thread.

At least I was.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I was further along in .hack//Mutation than I remembered and I finished that yesterday. I'm playing .hack//Outbreak now and I forgot how lame the "lol Kite has to go through this area without any allies" missions are, especially when Outbreak opens with one.

It's like jeeze, the kid can't take on like three or four spellcasters on his own. He just can't.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Last week when all the shader discourse was going on I was trying to remember what game it was that did a similarly bizarre and lovely thing with it's color options.

I only just recently remembered it was Fable 3. Fable 2 had a poo poo load of dyes available in the main game with which to dye each part of your clothes. One of the most popular dyes being of course, simply pitch black.

Fable 3 had Black Dye available as part of a Dye DLC pack. You couldn't dye any of your clothes black if you didn't pay the MS points equivalent of a dollar back then.

And it wasn't even day one DLC it was like, two weeks later DLC after most people who bought the game had already completed it or returned it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Last week when all the shader discourse was going on I was trying to remember what game it was that did a similarly bizarre and lovely thing with it's color options.

I only just recently remembered it was Fable 3. Fable 2 had a poo poo load of dyes available in the main game with which to dye each part of your clothes. One of the most popular dyes being of course, simply pitch black.

Fable 3 had Black Dye available as part of a Dye DLC pack. You couldn't dye any of your clothes black if you didn't pay the MS points equivalent of a dollar back then.

And it wasn't even day one DLC it was like, two weeks later DLC after most people who bought the game had already completed it or returned it.

I don't hate the idea of special cosmetic dyes inherently, a few games will have like a special gold or diamond skin that you can buy.

But man, basic poo poo like, the colors of the rainbow need to be available. Locking away basic colors is really hosed. Also hosed is giving us a bunch of pastel colors and making the vibrant or dark colors DLC.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you basing that on the game of the model viewer? Because the model viewer doesn't use shaders (real shaders, shader programs) it just loads the basic flat texture color of the shader (destiny cosmetic thing, stupid name bungie) to give you a preview. Many of them are very off.

Destiny had a ton of lovely shaders until you hit max level, mostly orange and blue. You didn't get a basic red or green for hours. But once you got deep in the game you got all kinds of sick glow-in-the-dark rare raid shaders.

D2 making them consumables is dumb though.

Wow, that's really dumb. So not only are they consumable, but I won't know what it's actually supposed to look like until I consume it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Wow, that's really dumb. So not only are they consumable, but I won't know what it's actually supposed to look like until I consume it?

The in-game viewer works fine. But there's lots of websites with Destiny information that data mine all the equipment and guns and they have preview programs which let you see the actual 3D models and are handy but are far from perfect, the colors are completely wrong.

I'm waiting for Destiny 2 PC so I haven't played D2 yet, (other than beta) but if its anything like D1 you'll get lots of really boring shaders until you hit max level, and then you'll start getting much cooler ones, but at complete random so you can't control which colors you want, which is dumb. I can't imagine them having less variety than D1 though, so there should be all kinds of two-tone or three-tone color schemes that swap colors around, not to mention the really crazy tiger-stripes or camo or neon shaders, but those will probably require specific achievements / raids.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The in-game viewer works fine. But there's lots of websites with Destiny information that data mine all the equipment and guns and they have preview programs which let you see the actual 3D models and are handy but are far from perfect, the colors are completely wrong.

I'm waiting for Destiny 2 PC so I haven't played D2 yet, (other than beta) but if its anything like D1 you'll get lots of really boring shaders until you hit max level, and then you'll start getting much cooler ones, but at complete random so you can't control which colors you want, which is dumb. I can't imagine them having less variety than D1 though, so there should be all kinds of two-tone or three-tone color schemes that swap colors around, not to mention the really crazy tiger-stripes or camo or neon shaders, but those will probably require specific achievements / raids.

Oh no, I'm looking at them in game. It's just annoying cause I have a pile of shaders that look like they'd be a nice array of colors, but when I preview it on my gear, the whole thing is basically light blue, or maroon, or yellow, rather than being mostly one color with differently colored detailing. I'm also just now hitting power levels appropriate for a level 20 character, so maybe later gear pieces will have more varied channels (not the right word, but w/e).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I can't make my alarm music something I like because I'd learn to hate it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Same with ringtones imo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

This is (unsurprisingly) my alarm and it's still good.

https://youtu.be/G9xzhyp431c

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about the Pewdiepie thing is the sheer amount of people outing themselves as loving awful people by acting like accidentally saying "friend of the family" is something that happens to everyone, not realizing that it is in fact something that doesn't happen to loving anyone unless it's a word they say a lot.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

glam rock hamhock posted:

My favorite thing about the Pewdiepie thing is the sheer amount of people outing themselves as loving awful people by acting like accidentally saying "friend of the family" is something that happens to everyone, not realizing that it is in fact something that doesn't happen to loving anyone unless it's a word they say a lot.

And even if it did somehow happen, a normal person would drop everything, apologize their rear end off, and immediately figure out where the gently caress that came from and excise it.

Not, you know, “whoops my bad”

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Cities Skylines supposed to be hard or am I just extremely bad at city planning

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Cities Skylines supposed to be hard or am I just extremely bad at city planning

It's quirky and unintuitive and if I had to hazard a guess: you're expanding too fast and your road/highway interchange system sucks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Literally the entire Republican Party tripped over each other rushing to call themselves a deplorable when Hillary said that only a portion of Trump voters are. I don't think they care about being outed anymore.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Raxivace posted:

I was further along in .hack//Mutation than I remembered and I finished that yesterday. I'm playing .hack//Outbreak now and I forgot how lame the "lol Kite has to go through this area without any allies" missions are, especially when Outbreak opens with one.

It's like jeeze, the kid can't take on like three or four spellcasters on his own. He just can't.

yeah theyre trash

Im at quarantines dumb "you must farm a bunch of cores" part and im like nah

also if any of yall are wondering if you should play dothack 1-4, you shouldn't, just wait for the yakuza style synopsis on dothack gu hd turbo edition

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

These games are for sure heavily flawed but they at least have interesting ideas, or at least from a historical perspective IMO. Like the Core farming is dumb in execution (The drop rates between Cores and equipment for Data Draining monsters really, really, really should have been swapped around at the very least) but the attempt to actually try and make it feel like you're breaking into areas you really shouldn't be is at least interesting in theory (And kind of a weird contrast to games that use arcadey minigames to somehow represent hacking like BioShock 1 or NieR: Automata).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just remember the new MVC comes out this month and that absolutely nobody gives a poo poo. I hope Capcom goes out of business

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Shattered_Earth/status/907360017128542210

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

marie called callie a "loving octie" on live tv and thats why they dont have a show anymore

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

I just remember the new MVC comes out this month and that absolutely nobody gives a poo poo. I hope Capcom goes out of business
Resident Evil and Ace Attorney are still good though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that's, uh, a really specific number

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is some flawless logic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

It's unsurprisingly the number of subscribers pewds has

Splatoon actually should not have voice chat for the same reason COD shouldn't have had it back in the day: children on voice chat

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is some flawless logic.

It actually is

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess all the other companies that let you do voice chat or regular chat all endorse using slurs

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The White Dragon posted:

The loud majority

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Is there even any gameplay footage of it? I have yet to see any in the promos they've put it for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You heard it here from twitter user @Shattered_Earth, every single person subscribed to pewdiepie is ok with dropping harsh n-bombs in video games. All of them. Every one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess all the other companies that let you do voice chat or regular chat all endorse using slurs

that's a weird way to read it

• Locked thread