Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sephyr posted:

poo poo, I thought I was the only one who even remembered they existed.

Not saying that series had good or consistent writing, but the team itself was rather cool and interesting.
You mean the only one apart from the people working on the movie, who included one of them in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Tottenham court road GW is pretty nice, it's their flagship store (outside of WW itself) but it's just a store.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Tottenham-Court-Road

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Just noticed this:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/december/the-warmaster-ebook.html

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Cool, only ten years until the Pariah sequel then. :v:

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Maybe GRRM should start writing for BL?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've just finished a 40k binge that included Gaunt's Ghosts, the Iron Warriors omnibus, the first Space wolf omnibus, Legion of the Damned, Dead Man Walking, and some other stand alone novels. Does anyone have any non-40k sci-fi recommendations?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Revelation Space is a nice book

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Blindsight by Peter Watts (and to a lesser extent its sequel Echopraxia) is my favorite sci-fi novel of all time.

Anyway, speaking of skippable HH books, I read the synopsis for Descent of Angels and it doesn't sound that interesting or relevant. Plus the next, Legion, is Dan Abnett and so have loved all of his books so far. Should I skip it?

I know it involves pre-imperial society for part of it before contact and then through for formation of an Astartes legion. Does that mean it follows a Primarch before and during his first contact with the Emperor? That process does sound interesting, does it cover that well?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Alternative pants posted:

I've just finished a 40k binge that included Gaunt's Ghosts, the Iron Warriors omnibus, the first Space wolf omnibus, Legion of the Damned, Dead Man Walking, and some other stand alone novels. Does anyone have any non-40k sci-fi recommendations?

Read

Grunts by Mary Gentile it's amazing

Armor by JOHN Steakly

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Read

Grunts by Mary Gentile it's amazing

Armor by JOHN Steakly

You recommended these to me back when I was laid up and they were really solid recs.

If y'all haven't read this- it is definitely worth your time

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alternative pants posted:

The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad.

Also, Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I remember enjoying Grass by Sheri S. Tepper.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

D-Pad posted:

Blindsight by Peter Watts (and to a lesser extent its sequel Echopraxia) is my favorite sci-fi novel of all time.

Anyway, speaking of skippable HH books, I read the synopsis for Descent of Angels and it doesn't sound that interesting or relevant. Plus the next, Legion, is Dan Abnett and so have loved all of his books so far. Should I skip it?

I know it involves pre-imperial society for part of it before contact and then through for formation of an Astartes legion. Does that mean it follows a Primarch before and during his first contact with the Emperor? That process does sound interesting, does it cover that well?

Descent of Angels is boring as hell, and is completely skippable. It doesn't give The Lion any characterisation, and the only view of pre-contact Caliban is through the Knightly Orders. Which are exactly what the name makes them sound.

Terrible book, doesn't move the narrative, doesn't provide any significant insights. Don't bother.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
You can definetly skip all the Dark Angels books.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I liked Descent but it's a total blue balls, the book is more about Luther and Caliban than the lion or the legion. The main two POV characters also go nowhere and are killed off in a crap book later I didn't bother with.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

This saturday, 16th of september, Chris Wraight's new book is coming out and it will be about the custodes. I'm excited!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/september/emperors-legion-ebook.html

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
This looks spectacularly bad

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Riff Raff: the later years.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That art is so poo poo it could be a cover from a US publisher.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Baen, perhaps.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

This is giving me such a Goosebumps vibe.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
At first I thought RL Stine got his start doing warhams books.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Confucious once said: "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." -- I think that quote is personified by Bile in the cover art. Look how happy he is! That man isn't just cutting a paycheck, he is fulfilling a passion and living his best possible life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the green goo

Is it just liquid chaos ?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Generic evil serum, or GES for short.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

so that's what Ben Franklin got up to after he swore off French Prostitutes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did ADB really sneak in a Transformers the Movie reference into Helsreach? On the skirmish at the downed ship primus starts muttering "this is bad comedy!" while hacking up orks

He does this in numerous novels of his. If you keep an eye out, you'll see. I remember it happening in the Night Lords books as well.

e: https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/aurelian-cover-art/

The Rat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 12, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Are those Necrons I spy on the cover?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Xenomrph posted:

It's hard to tell at first glance but that is actually a drawing of Fabius Bile

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Uncle w Benefits posted:

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. —Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one now to mock your own grinning? Quite chapfallen? Now get you to my lady’s chamber and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favor she must come. Make her laugh at that."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Well, that explains the green goo. It's just pureed Necron-brand Evil Glowing Crystals.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fabulous Bill is going to clone necrons?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Actually that cover owns? Can't speak for the book though.

Is Wrath of Iron by Chris Wraight, who wrote the Carrion Throne, any good?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Syncopated posted:

Actually that cover owns? Can't speak for the book though.

Is Wrath of Iron by Chris Wraight, who wrote the Carrion Throne, any good?

It's definitely well written. Bleak even by 40k standards though.

E: the Iron Hands are utter bastards.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just want a WH40K choose your own adventure where we get to play as Fabulous Bile. Is that too much to ask BL?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Guys, guys, guys, guys.

This gonna be a sick-rear end bong.

-Fabius Bile, m41.999

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's definitely professor putricide.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Put him on a talk show with Ahriman and Lucius where he debuts his half finished clone of ahriman

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did anyone say more like Clownlord yet? He's just so happy. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope he makes the Ultramarines a whole chapter of evil twins, each with a sinister goatee.