Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quadpus posted:

Suddenly to me the thread is basically this:

Ita too hot for that yet. Its basically the intro to Pitch Black up in this bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Does the package that's now in North Platte contain tools?

Also seconding the idea of posting a CL ad for a round-trip to pick it up. Someone will probably do it for less than it'd take to ship a gigantic bike box (though it'd be good to have an estimate for that cost, too).

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Tricky Ed posted:

Does the package that's now in North Platte contain tools?

Also seconding the idea of posting a CL ad for a round-trip to pick it up. Someone will probably do it for less than it'd take to ship a gigantic bike box (though it'd be good to have an estimate for that cost, too).

There are some tools in the box, but nothing complete. I'm home this evening and can ~overnight anything from Dave's toolbox and my spare tools stash that might be useful as well.

e: can also hit Harbour Freight beforehand to cover any gaps we don't collectively have lying around

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

HandlingByJebus posted:

There are some tools in the box, but nothing complete. I'm home this evening and can ~overnight anything from Dave's toolbox and my spare tools stash that might be useful as well.

e: can also hit Harbour Freight beforehand to cover any gaps we don't collectively have lying around

You and Tremek are the MVPs.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

DICK DICER posted:

Its basically the intro to Pitch Black up in this bitch

I just watched this last week

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

DICK DICER posted:

YALL HAVES A HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT. GOOGLE PLAY LETS YOU DOWNLOAD GENERAL PATTON VS THE X-ECUTIONERS. LISTEN TO IT IN ITS ENTIRETY.

UNDERSTAND IT
Uhm this album is really good, I kind of want more Dave music recommendations now

I want to state for the record, i dogpiled on a muthafucka for using 'snowflake' unironically. It offended my delicate sensibilities.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The lifting mechanism itself looks like a glorified (hand operated) parking brake to me. Except instead of yanking a handle up to pull a single cable to the block, you turn Dave's crank. Either way, it's pulling 4 cables on a block (instead of 2 like with a parking brake).

Are there any retaining clips to keep it up once up? Like on a car lift?

Alternatively, if the tracks are exposed, is there a way to wedge some wood into each rail to keep them from falling suddenly?

Yes that's exactly right it's 4 cables instead of 2 and the block moves back and forth on a threaded shaft with a ratcheting mechanism so it cannot free fall. It sounds like there is something wrong with the ratcheting mechanism though. The vertical rails are exposed only on the inside of the trailer, there is a pulley top and bottom with a cable in between that goes back to the whiffletree (lol Coleman makes up great names for stuff). You could jam broom sticks or something in there to help hold it up but once Dave can get the cover off of the bottom it's probably an easy fix. It is a simple but tough system. Alternatively notching the top of a 2x4 to fit into the roof lip of the trailer and then pounding the bottom into the ground will work too. It would be very awkward and hard to lift the roof up all alone without the lift system or someone else to jam poo poo into places to brace it.

Once he gets the roof fully raised and secured and the door put on it's going to be a sweet little home. The furnace it comes with will keep you toasty deep into the fall.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hope it gets looked after and Immortan Dave tows it to Florida.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just roll it up into the truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I grabbed a flat rate box and will get a bunch of small tool sets into it tonight. SAE is more useful than metric for this project right?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
TREMEK

  ↓

TEREKM

  ↓

TREKME

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I grabbed a flat rate box and will get a bunch of small tool sets into it tonight. SAE is more useful than metric for this project right?

In similar news, I've got a 14" box full of sleeping bag and a couple other comfort odds and ends going out this afternoon. I'll toss sims the tracking number to forward to Dick.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

As a side note, if the tooth pain gets too much you can combine acetaminophen(1000mg) and ibuprofen(600mg) every 8 hours and its does a really good job of killing the pain. Granted you don't want to use it for too long, as it will(at least for me) do terrible things to your stomach. I have had a lot of dental issues as well, and that combo does a better job than Vicodin, just without the fun opiate side effects.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Be careful not to OD on acetaminophen. It can gently caress your liver and kill you.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Dude he said every eight hours, that's even a bit on the safe side, honestly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Totally, but some people really flip out with dosing if they're still feeling lovely.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It was a long haul catching up with this thread but a thrill ride the whole way.
Got a couple of snacks boxed up to send your way tomorrow. More of a morale booster than anything else.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
DJDaddo says hi

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I think the box is shippable. They will let fedex pickup. Its probably gonna be about $100. I'm happy to pick up a big chunk of it, but if anyone wants to help, let me know.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone asked the North Platte Taxi company what they would charge to deliver it? I can't imagine thy get a ton of fares.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone asked the North Platte Taxi company what they would charge to deliver it? I can't imagine thy get a ton of fares.
I can't make any calls today (or any time tgis week during business hours), but if someone could call before I go too far down the well on fedex. It has fewer potential issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

If I'm reading the trailer diagrams correctly, the cable mechanism can only pull down, so that would mean that the telescoping posts, or something else, would have to be spring tensioned to raise the top, and the cable system keeps it down and/or from just leaping up, right?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

If I'm reading the trailer diagrams correctly, the cable mechanism can only pull down, so that would mean that the telescoping posts, or something else, would have to be spring tensioned to raise the top, and the cable system keeps it down and/or from just leaping up, right?

They pull down on a system of pulleys such that the fully extended position is the one with the least cable between the pulleys.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Aha, I get how it works. Had to sit and look at the overall set of pulleys and cables in the masts. No spring loading.
As long as the threaded rod is turning an it and the whiffletree aren't stripped, it should go up.
You also can't just force it up unless you release the cables.

Possible help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artzZ5yI364
(fricking vertical video)

At least a good explanation of the clutch mechanism. The crank should freewheel several turns between raising and lowering.
The ratchet should only click going up, apparently. And, since it's got a clutch/brake pad in there, it can't be over-greased.

Once Dave has sockets, it can also be raised/lowered using the nut on the end of the threaded rod, which will be inside the crank extension tube.

His other video has one that has the chain-driven remote crank, if Dave's has that, though the problem with that one is different Still a good look at the crank end of the mechanism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AcidRonin posted:

Uhm this album is really good, I kind of want more Dave music recommendations now

SubRosa: No Help for the Mighty :q:

Earthless: From the Ages or Rhythms of a Cosmic Sky

If you dont know much Mike Patton, GIT SUM

Mr Bungle (self tifled), Fantomas, Tomahawk, all gold

.....Ziltoid the Omnicient

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey Dave (and friends):

If you like real heavy doom that makes you wanna dig up graves and slow dance with the dead, check out Coffinworm's Great Bringer Of Night.

If you like your doom more melodic, Pallbearer are my absolute go-to. Nice guys too.

Ahab is also a great time if you like slow, almost funeral doom style with good melodies and some clean/dirty vocal styles.

Mmdoom.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

So I think the box is shippable. They will let fedex pickup. Its probably gonna be about $100. I'm happy to pick up a big chunk of it, but if anyone wants to help, let me know.

PM sent.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Don Dongington posted:

Hey Dave (and friends):

If you like real heavy doom that makes you wanna dig up graves and slow dance with the dead, check out Coffinworm's Great Bringer Of Night.

If you like your doom more melodic, Pallbearer are my absolute go-to. Nice guys too.

Ahab is also a great time if you like slow, almost funeral doom style with good melodies and some clean/dirty vocal styles.

Mmdoom.

Good stuff here, i personally have been sticking to music that says "none of this is normal or should ever be considered okay"

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

How did the Medicaid office visit go?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I uh....i was too busy riding around town saying hi to everyone

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DICK DICER posted:

Good stuff here, i personally have been sticking to music that says "none of this is normal or should ever be considered okay"

Where do you sit on Dog Fashion Disco

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

DICK DICER posted:

This is a good reason, serious post

Especially if that police officer told people about the Return of the Jeep Immolater

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

DICK DICER posted:

2021- Dave is the Mayor of Valentine.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

MullardEL34 posted:

2021- Dave is the Mayor of Valentine.
You jest but my hometown is about the size of Valentine and the mayor is also the local NAPA store owner wizard.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Don Dongington posted:

Hey Dave (and friends):

Mmdoom.
Can this just temporarily be the doomchat thread? Dave has good taste in music. I finally saw Pallbearer a couple months ago, and they've been one of my favorite bands for a couple years. The only recent discovery that's blown me away as much is Bell Witch (new album in october, too).

e: actually it occurs to me that once we know the essentials are down there, I could send down tons of music. What's the data plan on your phone like? In danger of chewing through it all from the livestreams/music/etc?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 12, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Don Dongington posted:

Where do you sit on Dog Fashion Disco

Im liking what im hearing so far, trap dodged or sprung?

I remembered another album.

Space Fisters Vol. 1. Trust me

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

DICK DICER posted:

Im liking what im hearing so far, trap dodged or sprung?

I remembered another album.

Space Fisters Vol. 1. Trust me

Reminds me of The Sword. Check out their album Warp Riders.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay,look seeuously i need my fi ki g sfyi ff because i just goy beaned on tje jead by afifkcing fuckitn 2 by 3 BECAUSE O CANT PUT A GUCKIBG DOOR ON TJOS FICKIBY TJING ANF TJE FLIES ARE EVERY loving WJERE GEY ME MY FICKINY STUFF

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If theres no solution by morning im riding to Platte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DICK DICER posted:

Okay, look, seriously I need my loving stuff because I just got beaned on the head by a loving fuckin' 2x3 because I can't put a loving door on this loving thing and the flies are every-loving-where. Get me my loving stuff

I'd be crazy pissed off too if flies were swarming me.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 12, 2017

• Locked thread