Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It ain't over yet. Let's see how CGR handles Sonoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

After Dixon wins the title he's coming to my apartment with his friend Jimmie Johnson to kick me in the dick

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

kidcoelacanth posted:

After Dixon wins the title he's coming to my apartment with his friend Jimmie Johnson to kick me in the dick

Dixon

Johnson

kick me in the dick

:thunk:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Dixon will win his FIFTH title and become only the third driver in American Open Wheel racing history to have more than 4 championships, also solidifying his position as the best driver of his generation and one of the 4 greatest drivers of all time with Foyt, Mears, and Andretti.

Yeah, but Dixon is the most boring of all of those four.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kidcoelacanth posted:

That is the worst misspelling of suck I have ever seen.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are there going to be 22 or 23 entries at Sonoma, though? Also Josef's car would need to be utterly totalled. They'll thrash to get that car back on track even laps down (see: Power at Fontana for the 2012 finale) if they can pick up any points at all.

And if he needs one place to beat an Andretti car they have 3 they can pull to make sure it happens.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Only way Rossi wins the title is if he 1. wins Sonoma, 2. people above him finish poorly, and 3. Newgarden doesn't start the race so basically Rossi has no chance of winning the title.

financially racist posted:

helio is a whiny tax-evading bitch though.

As an accountant I don't disagree with this.
But the racer in me says that someone whose face is on the Borg Warner Trophy three times deserves at least one Astor Cup.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

And if he needs one place to beat an Andretti car they have 3 they can pull to make sure it happens.

Penske is notoriously anti team order and all four are a legit shot. No way any Penske car doesn't finish Sonoma unless it is irreparably shredded.

Chip, on the other hand, would at least consider parking a good car to give Dixon another spot.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

RLLR are entering a 2nd car, this presumably means Rossi will now beat a retiring first Josef in theory?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dudley posted:

RLLR are entering a 2nd car, this presumably means Rossi will now beat a retiring first Josef in theory?

Yes. Josef has to finish dead last (22nd) and have less bonus points than Rossi. A Rossi win and equal bonus points, coupled with a Newgarden 22nd finish, would give Newgarden the championship (assuming no one else yoinks it) because he has more wins.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems pretty likely that there will be more than 22 cars at Sonoma. 23 is likely, 24 is possible, outside chance at 25.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Andretti should run Sage Karam to take out Newgarden and Dixon.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
These are the points awarded this weekend:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

Andretti should run Sage Karam to take out Newgarden and Dixon.

I don't think there's enough money in all of motorsports to get Karam in an Andretti car.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
In semi-related news, Arie Luyendyk Jr is gonna get another shot a love on The Bachelor

quote:

After weeks of mounting anticipation, ABC finally announced that a familiar face from the past will be The Bachelor‘s newest leading man.

Although speculation swirled that Peter Kraus, Luke Pell and Robby Hayes were contenders, Good Morning America announced Thursday that 35-year-old Arie Luyendyk Jr. is returning for another shot at love on an ABC series.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Watched the '89 season finale a bit ago, and if this year's champion doesn't get a video package set to Forever Young then I'm throwing poo poo.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'll fight anyone who doesn't think they should bring back Delta Force for the 500 intro, but...

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Watched the '89 season finale a bit ago, and if this year's champion doesn't get a video package set to Forever Young then I'm throwing poo poo.

:chloe:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I know I'm an IndyCar shill, but if anyone wants Hinch's autograph this is a good deal

I think I might get another Hinch diecast, this one to remind me of the Aero Kit era to go along with his stock DW-12 #27 Team UFD diecast.

http://shop.ims.com/2017-james-hinchcliffe-arrow-1-18-diecast/

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
TK ends his career at Foyt, I guess.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sure looks like it:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143967-kanaan-expected-to-drive-for-foyt-in-2018

In other news:
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143961-schmidt-honda-strengthen-ties
"Honda has nominated Schmidt Peterson Motorsports to play a greater role in its Verizon IndyCar Series efforts."

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143956-pagenaud-likes-penske-progress-during-sonoma-test
"Pagenaud likes Penske progress during Sonoma test"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it will be Kanaan and Daly. The car is bad but Munoz himself has looked a little unmotivated. I'm not sure if he was a real improvement over late career Sato.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Miller & Pruett also figure it'll be Daly. On their last podcast, I think Pruett mentioned Daly has been better at developing the car than Munoz, but bottom line the team really needs a veteran hand to serve as a team leader.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren: WE HAVE NEWS :siren:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/zach-veach-signs-with-andretti-autosport-through-2020-951896/

Zach Veach will be full time for Andretti.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Three year deal with a sponsor, good stuff. Good for Veach. Also randomly, Andretii turned into an all-american 4 car lineup.

This more or less confirms the Kimball and Chilton to Carlin thing, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

This more or less confirms the Kimball and Chilton to Carlin thing, too.

I'm confused about how one implies the other, unless the rumor was that Veach was going to be at Carlin instead?

Edit: holy hell this is funny.

quote:

Hinch re-ups with SPM and a driver shootout is conducted for the second seat. Six guys show up with no name on the helmet and a dark shield so everyone is treated the same and after two days a pudgy little guy is with gray hair is selected because of his outright speed. But Mario Andretti fails the IndyCar vision test and is sent back to the two-seater.

I could actually see Mario trying that, given the chance.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 11, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kimball and Chliton were apparently in talks for that 4th car at Andretti. Although Andretti did talk about running 5, so maybe thats him keeping that door open.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like we've got 20 full time cars confirmed at the moment. Hope we find a few more, would like to get into that 24 car range.

Chevy

Penske
Newgarden
Pagenaud
Power
4th car closed?

Ed
Pigot?
Ed+?
3rd car? Ed part time?

Foyt
Kaanan
Daly

Harding
Chaves

Carlin?

Kimball?
Chilton?

Juncos?

Honda

Ganassi
Dixon
Hartley?
3rd car closed?
4th car closed?

Andretti
Andretti
Hunter-Reay
Rossi
Veach
5th car? (Possible)

Rahal
Rahal
Sato
3rd car? (Unlikely)

Schmidt
Hinch
?
3rd car? (Unlikely)

Coyne
Bourdais
Jones?

Shank?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:frogsiren:http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/144031-gommendy-to-drive-third-spm-car-in-2018-indy-500:frogsiren:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yes! Let's get the entire ChampCar 2007 field back together.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's Jan Heylen doing these days anyway

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Alex Figge may or may not be under contract at this time

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

At this rate Mark Plourude is gonna have a ride next year

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bobby K can bring his dildo bucks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dentist toy box posted:

At this rate Mark Plourude is gonna have a ride next year

Don't tease me like this.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmGxqzw1L3QBGnORZZBpZN5IlGOIHzint

Fan reviews of a number of past Indy 500s. Good way to spend some time with the off-season looming.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/144043-hartley-tipped-to-join-ganassi

Hartley to Ganassi apparently imminent

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Good. That's a big plus to the field.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sucks that Rosenqvist apparently couldn't get out of his Formula E contract. Would really like to see him in IndyCars too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Man, Hartley would be a fantastic addition to the series.

Is [FIRST NAME] Sperafico a possibility too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NEWS DUMP:

Gateway will have the same weekend as this year, but starts an hour earlier

Also won't have to fight with the Cards that night either. The funny thing:

quote:

Fans in attendance had two major complaints - getting out of the crowded parking lots afterward and the fact concession lines were too long before the track ran out of food.

Which is a good sign if you ask me.

Costs per kit have been unveiled

Each team gets two free kits per team. The final price, which is guaranteed for all three years of its use, is 90k, saving ~35k to 75k per kit. The cost to convert a 2017 spec DW12 chassis to a 2018 spec is roughly 5.5k.

Also, Cosworth is offering to retrofit the current wheels with the LCD screens at a cheaper cost than a brand new steering wheel.

• Locked thread