Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Necco wafers, maybe. That's it. That's all I've got.

I like those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

To be fair to Necco wafers, I've probably never tried any that hadn't been kept in an old lady's purse for half her life before the moment finally came when she met a little boy she wanted to see weep with disappointment.

Circus peanuts are still bad regardless.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

To be fair to Necco wafers, I've probably never tried any that hadn't been kept in an old lady's purse for half her life before the moment finally came when she met a little boy she wanted to see weep with disappointment.

Circus peanuts are still bad regardless.

I looked up necco wafers from your post out of curiosity and apparently they've been around since the 1840s and tried to change up their recipes in 2009 to appeal to modern mothers or something with all natural coloring and flavors which is patently insane because the only people who eat necco wafers are 70+ years old so they lost 35% of their sales and reverted soon after lol

burial
Sep 13, 2002

As long as an old person ate one before they reverted and doing so made them cry with disappointment, I can call it even.

At least werther's original have value.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Werthers is good.

So is salmiakki and other salty licorice.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Circus peanuts are loving fantastic.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Leavemywife posted:

Dibs on you as my Halloween candy trading partner!

Just kidding. Nobody gives out circus peanuts because, as I already said, circus peanuts are terrible. Like, really-really.

But also I guess we can still trade if somehow somebody does.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I refuse to believe anyone can actually hold this opinion

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

I refuse to believe anyone can actually hold this opinion

I can buy someone liking them, but thinking they're fantastic has to be hyperbole. I don't despise them but even as a kid I can't ever remember thinking "I want to eat those" and wondered who would ever buy them when there was much better candy right next to them.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
rap and country are the best music genres and the only genuine examples of american exceptionalism.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hello, new FAROOQ account

There's very little anti-Semitism from the far left but some people do take their anti-Zionism a little bit too far.

Actually I'm a Niggerstomper58 re-reg

Das Boo posted:

If you go way far left, you get race separatists, actual misandry and a privilege point system where you're judged for things beyond your control, same as the right. I really, really didn't want to believe it until I met a living and breathing person who practiced it. She buys her two sons only dresses and dolls to play in/with, forbids them from watching superhero shows (which they watched at my nephew's house, in secret), openly talks about how males are garbage in front of them and criticized my niece for liking little girl things like princesses and mermaids. Her husband left her and she's now dating a trans person solely for the purpose of, in her own words, "supporting the cause." I met her, gently caress me. I actually met this person.

And her logic for feminism and racial support goes so far it looks right back to being misogynistic and racist. Like that women and minorities need things handed to them because they can't accomplish things on their own.

The point is, monsters exist in every group.

Call CPS?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

If you go way far left, you get race separatists, actual misandry and a privilege point system where you're judged for things beyond your control, same as the right. I really, really didn't want to believe it until I met a living and breathing person who practiced it. She buys her two sons only dresses and dolls to play in/with, forbids them from watching superhero shows (which they watched at my nephew's house, in secret), openly talks about how males are garbage in front of them and criticized my niece for liking little girl things like princesses and mermaids. Her husband left her and she's now dating a trans person solely for the purpose of, in her own words, "supporting the cause." I met her, gently caress me. I actually met this person.

And her logic for feminism and racial support goes so far it looks right back to being misogynistic and racist. Like that women and minorities need things handed to them because they can't accomplish things on their own.

The point is, monsters exist in every group.

This is the "Early Life" section of a serial killer's Wiki article :catstare:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tv shows increasingly moving toward the short 8-10 episode seasons and/or splitting up a season into two parts is bad. I don't care that more episodes means more filler, at least it will be more (show i like).

I mean, stargate sg1 managed 20+ episode seasons for 10 years and theres maybe only 6 or 7 episodes I skip every rewatch so it can be done without sacrificing too much quality.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't mind short seasons but I'm a little annoyed that Amazon Prime has recently had some shows release 5 episodes, wait a few months, and release the other 5.

I just want to sit and marathon the new Tick drat it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Agent355 posted:

I don't mind short seasons but I'm a little annoyed that Amazon Prime has recently had some shows release 5 episodes, wait a few months, and release the other 5.

I just want to sit and marathon the new Tick drat it.

I'm more frustrated with the gaps between season halves really. I kind of get why they do it, but binge-watching has ruined my ability to enjoy watching when I have to wait so long for the end. I like the model some netflix shows do and they just make the entire season available on day 1. Even if it's a short season at least I can be be done with it in a couple days instead of spreading it out over 6 months or whatever.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

No hyperbole involved. I loving love circus peanuts.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Leavemywife posted:

No hyperbole involved. I loving love circus peanuts.

To clarify, you are talking about the lovely marshmallow candy?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the best candy imo has to be those reeses bars, best cookies gotta be chessmen

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

Necco wafers, maybe. That's it. That's all I've got.

another unpopular opinion, Necco wafers are a good candy. Reeses Pieces are really disgusting though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

reese sticks loving rule

my metro area is a big test market, so I got hooked on those and then they went away for a while. I was stoked when I saw them come back in force

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hawowanlawow posted:

reese sticks loving rule

my metro area is a big test market, so I got hooked on those and then they went away for a while. I was stoked when I saw them come back in force

i dunno why, but the chewy peanute butter chocolate poo poo is always so good. even PB Twix. shame that chocolate doesnt go well with a soda

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Dross posted:

To clarify, you are talking about the lovely marshmallow candy?

Yep, the orange peanut shaped globs of whatever loving flavor that is. Something tells me that I should be repulsed by them, but they're really, really good.

I can't eat too many, though, otherwise I get a belly ache.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tv shows increasingly moving toward the short 8-10 episode seasons and/or splitting up a season into two parts is bad. I don't care that more episodes means more filler, at least it will be more (show i like).

I mean, stargate sg1 managed 20+ episode seasons for 10 years and theres maybe only 6 or 7 episodes I skip every rewatch so it can be done without sacrificing too much quality.

I could not disagree more, the less but longer episodes trend is a good thing as it ensures quality over quantity. The former being the issue nowadays over the other. There is an abundance of painfully mediocre shows (Stargate being an example) that you don't even have the time to watch half of with their 20 episode minimum structure. We should have 8 episode thing plus make sure that most series has only one or two seasons, thus guaranteeing us that it has consistency and a payoff instead of more seasons made just for the sake of making megabucks.

Midig has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Sep 11, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I find that even with the lowered episode count that most shows are still garbage and full of filler. Walking Dead, Sherlock, etc. All that's happening is that there are less jobs for writers. The ratio of good to crap is still the same.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I find that even with the lowered episode count that most shows are still garbage and full of filler. Walking Dead, Sherlock, etc. All that's happening is that there are less jobs for writers. The ratio of good to crap is still the same.

Walking Dead and Sherlock would be poo poo no matter what you did.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

At least we don't have to watch as much crap.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Do raffle tickets count as gambling or charity?

I'm trying to figure out why I don't buy them, and both of those things are good answers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

I could not disagree more, the less but longer episodes trend is a good thing as it ensures quality over quantity. The former being the issue nowadays over the other. There is an abundance of painfully mediocre shows (Stargate being an example) that you don't even have the time to watch half of with their 20 episode minimum structure. We should have 8 episode thing plus make sure that most series has only one or two seasons, thus guaranteeing us that it has consistency and a payoff instead of more seasons made just for the sake of making megabucks.

But I can go through an entire 8 episode season in a day. I need value, when I rewatch a show I want it to take up at least a couple weeks.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

But I can go through an entire 8 episode season in a day. I need value, when I rewatch a show I want it to take up at least a couple weeks.

Value based on how good it is, not how much time you spent with it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

Do raffle tickets count as gambling or charity?

I'm trying to figure out why I don't buy them, and both of those things are good answers.

Raffle tickets should be bought for entertainment purposes only, and not as an investment.

So yes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Maybe get a hobby?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I know the general consensus is that watching television is not a hobby, and I think I'm on board with that.

What about critical analysis of television? Does that count? Sometimes I just want to watch TV but I want to do it in the most productive way possible.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yes, though I'd say critical thinking of almost anything can be a hobby. It's not just about considering the artistic merits or themes of a relatively small canon, either. You can think critically about the production of a reality tv show, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just want to watch TV but I want to do it in the most productive way possible.

That would be video games.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spit on my clit posted:

I think Fastbreak bars are amazing and probably the best bar, but chessman is a good choice for branded cookies

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Caufman posted:

Yes, though I'd say critical thinking of almost anything can be a hobby. It's not just about considering the artistic merits or themes of a relatively small canon, either. You can think critically about the production of a reality tv show, too.

I tend to agree! I was just curious what people would say given how strongly opposed to the idea that media (visual, especially) can an element of a hobby some folks seem to be.

Jerry Cotton posted:

That would be video games.

I like those sometimes! :ssh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think TV shows and seasons should be shorter. Six half-hour episodes is plenty if they're good. And if people like it and there's enough potential to make more, make a second season. Also, no loving season-spanning cliffhangers. Finish what you started and assume you won't get to come back and do more. You can leave some stuff open or write a deliberately ambiguous ending, but don't make the last episode of season one a glorified trailer for season two. The end of each season should be a reasonably satisfying place to stop watching.

And I prefer them to be released weekly rather than all at once, because it makes it easier to talk about them with other people since you don't need to work out where everyone's watched up to - everyone's a the same place or maybe one episode behind. When Netflix or whoever puts out a 13-episode show all at once, some people watch it immediately, some people watch it in chunks, some people watch it one episode at a time, and no one's on the same page.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think Fastbreak bars are amazing and probably the best bar, but chessman is a good choice for branded cookies

Chessmen. As close to baking childhood disappointment into a cookie as modern technology can come. I'm all for the unpopular opinions, but this is just flat out abusive and borderline sociopaths. Either Samoa's or Thin Mints are the best cookies. And for my money Thin Mints right out of the freezer is the way to go.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

I think TV shows and seasons should be shorter. Six half-hour episodes is plenty if they're good. And if people like it and there's enough potential to make more, make a second season. Also, no loving season-spanning cliffhangers. Finish what you started and assume you won't get to come back and do more. You can leave some stuff open or write a deliberately ambiguous ending, but don't make the last episode of season one a glorified trailer for season two. The end of each season should be a reasonably satisfying place to stop watching.

And I prefer them to be released weekly rather than all at once, because it makes it easier to talk about them with other people since you don't need to work out where everyone's watched up to - everyone's a the same place or maybe one episode behind. When Netflix or whoever puts out a 13-episode show all at once, some people watch it immediately, some people watch it in chunks, some people watch it one episode at a time, and no one's on the same page.

I do agree they should be shorter since, by and large, American shows are way too full of ppppaaaaddddiiiiinnnggg. I'm not asking for constant bombardment, but they should at least follow script-writing 101 and progress something with each and every scene. Something needs to have changed when you cut to a new location or character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chessmen. As close to baking childhood disappointment into a cookie as modern technology can come. I'm all for the unpopular opinions, but this is just flat out abusive and borderline sociopaths. Either Samoa's or Thin Mints are the best cookies. And for my money Thin Mints right out of the freezer is the way to go.

Thin mints fuckin suck!!!

Samoas are alright though. The best girlscout cookies are the peanut butter ones. I always felt bad for Boy Scouts cause the cookie game is far superior to the popcorn game or whatever the hell theyre supposed to sell