Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Why would you even do that to yourselves.

I was doing a lot of upgrading armor & needed mats/was just wandering around to areas I hadn't explored, with the korok mask and hero's path map upgrade you find a lot of them. Then I went to zeldamaps.com when I realized I had under 100 left. It really wasn't much grinding at all tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

And I don't really care for a whole lot of games, so the ones I do play I usually go completionist over.

Managed to take down Master Mode Final Boss, and as someone who can't perfect parry and dodge every time, it took max gear and food attack bonuses and a bit of luck to combat regen health and all the other bullshit included in that fight.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mega64 posted:

The game should delete your save if you find all 900 Korok seeds.
e: Not really.

Don't you get a giant turd as a reward? That seems a sure sign that the developers didn't want you to do it.
(And yes, the Korok "seeds" are actually their droppings; there's a character in one of the stables confirming it.)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zopotantor posted:

Don't you get a giant turd as a reward? That seems a sure sign that the developers didn't want you to do it.
(And yes, the Korok "seeds" are actually their droppings; there's a character in one of the stables confirming it.)

Yep it's a big ol' stinky gold turd.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

The game should delete your save if you find all 900 Korok seeds.
Would you like to help others find their Korok seeds when they don't have enough?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What was your favorite Korok seed?

I'm partial to the giant spiral of rocks on the southern end of Faron myself.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

What was your favorite Korok seed?

I'm partial to the giant spiral of rocks on the southern end of Faron myself.

I like the one in the SE region in the loop where you have to break all the targets and then it shows up above the shack

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm really partial to the apple in the palm tree, and the tree branch on the bridge. They're both just out of place enough to call attention to themselves.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I liked the one in Gerudo Heights where it's just a standard rock puzzle, but the trick is getting the rock up on the slightly raised plateau. It's not just find rock, place rock, boom you're done; it actually had a smidgen of difficulty and I appreciated that a lot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mine is all of them except the one where you need to get a rock on top of the beach house because gently caress that one

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I like the ones near the Yiga hideout where you just give them ALL the bananas.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The one in north Akkala where you need to golf a big boulder up a somewhat steep hill and theres a Lynel hanging out half way there can go gently caress off too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Would you like to help others find their Korok seeds when they don't have enough?

No, because games are silly little things.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Mine is all of them except the one where you need to get a rock on top of the beach house because gently caress that one

I have that one marked on my map as a star to go back to, because gently caress that one. Unfortunately, I'm almost to the point where I have to go back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I finally found a Switch in stock and picked it up along with Zelda. I've probably put somewhere between 5-7 hours in, but I'm not actually that far because I am dying over and over and over and over again. There's a lot to like about the game, but I'm struggling in ways I don't normally expect to struggle in a Zelda game. Combat-wise, I die constantly, and not just to big things. A truly incredible number of things one-shot me, and the things that don't come damned close. Individual bokoblins aren't a big threat, but even a single Moblin is scary, some skeletal lizard thing I had no idea was there one-shot me right after I climbed up the side of a ruin wall, both of the combat shrines I've done have had things that one-shot me or close to it, and when I tried to fight the Lynel above the Zora area (story-related), that one-shot me too. Sometimes I wander too close to a Guardian I didn't know existed and their lasers appear to be literally undodgeable unless you can find something to put in between the two of you really, really fast. Those two-shot me, if I'm at full health.

What in the suffering gently caress is going on? Most Zelda games are too easy with way too much hand-holding, but I have the opposite of both problems in this one. I'm not amazing at video games but I''m reasonably competent, I've been playing them since the '80s and can beat Zelda 1 without dying. I seem to be extremely bad at noticing the breadcrumbs the game is supposed to be putting out for me, so there are a lot of things I had to be told to do by other people -- for example, I went all the way to Zora's Domain in an old shirt and pants because I didn't know I could buy armor. (I didn't look, because you can't buy armor in most Zelda games.) I returned to Kakariko and bought the Hylian outfit and had the Great Fairy there upgrade it -- I also hadn't gone for the Great Fairy at first, because in Ocarina most of them gave you magic that was irrelevant until the endgame and I didn't think it was important -- and then I was told that I could also buy a set of Soldier armor in Hateno, so I went and bought that. I've started to upgrade it but am still gathering materials. (I've upgraded one piece so far). Until I finish upgrading it it's all worse than my upgraded Hylian outfit. I am given to understand I am also supposed to be doing something with Koroks in Kakariko, but I don't know what those are or where to find them, and I have looked for that particular breadcrumb.

I do every shrine I can find -- getting to some of them is a colossal pain in the rear end -- but I've only found ~12 or so. I've taken 2 heart upgrades (so a total of 5 hearts now) and one stamina upgrade so far.

What am I doing wrong in this game? It's gorgeous but I'm incredibly frustrated and came close to quitting for good last night. I don't even know if I'm supposed to be doing Zora things yet, I came across the Prince Sidon chain while out wandering. Currently I have the Lynel crap on hold and am just wandering around northwest of there looking for shrines and towers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have you used the orbs from the shrines to upgrade your hearts?

Are you cooking heart food that gives you more than your maximum hearts?

Also the guardians can be killed with their own lasers, which is pretty much the only way to kill them early in the game.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Partly that's intended, and the punishment for getting killed is usually very minor. The Guardians and Lynels especially are supposed to be scary; I was running from those for a long time. But you may need to fundamentally rethink your approach to combat. Stealth, observation, and tactical planning are key, as well as knowing when to just run for your life - early on, that's fairly frequent, e.g. with the Guardians.

The other part is gaining experience with combat, and buffing, especially with foods and elixirs you can learn to cook up for bonus effects.

Also, slow down a bit and explore off the beaten path (this is the real meat of the game). If you're 5-7 hours in and already been to several villages and Zora's Domain, you're rushing it. A lot of people stay on the plateau for almost that long.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also don't loving fight the lynel. Your don't have to.

Be stealthier in general. There is no need to engage every enemy, and certainly not by just rushing in. Explore!

If you fight lynels in Zelda 1 with your starting gear you're probably just as dead.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah the Zora's Domain Lynel area is designed for you to sneak around and grab the arrows lying around/in trees and then dive off the waterfall.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

guppy posted:

What am I doing wrong in this game? It's gorgeous but I'm incredibly frustrated and came close to quitting for good last night. I don't even know if I'm supposed to be doing Zora things yet, I came across the Prince Sidon chain while out wandering. Currently I have the Lynel crap on hold and am just wandering around northwest of there looking for shrines and towers.

don't sweat the dying. i died probably a hundred times in the first 20 hours, the lynel near zoras domain probably did me in 20 times even though I was trying to be sneaky. the talus on the plateau another dozen times. It really doesn't matter, you don't lose anything as the game sets you right back.

In the last 150 hours I've died 0 times. You get more hearts, your armor gets stronger, you learn to cook which food saves your rear end, it becomes pretty much impossible to die.

BotW is very different form earlier LoZ games, there is no hand holding, but that makes it more rewarding.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is the strategy guide for this worth buying

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I beat that lynel on my first encounter.:smug:

African AIDS cum posted:

It's 2017 so no.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

African AIDS cum posted:

Literally the point is exploration and discovery, so I'd say you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

Sometimes I wander too close to a Guardian I didn't know existed and their lasers appear to be literally undodgeable unless you can find something to put in between the two of you really, really fast. Those two-shot me, if I'm at full health.

You can outrun lasers! The lasers also set the grass on fire, giving you a nice boost into the sky for either a getaway plan or some matrix bullet time to plan your next route. Also, shields block those lasers assuming they aren't wooden ones.

There is always more than one way to approach a situation. Enemy giving you trouble? Don't fight them! Sneak around! Remove some clothes, use L3.

Have you equipped a shield? Those protect you while you're climbing.

Use your scope to mark threats and interesting areas and plan a course.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

African AIDS cum posted:

Perhaps as a collector's item? There are guide videos on YouTube for practically every aspect of the game, so if you want spoilers you probably won't need it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Bloop posted:

Literally the point is exploration and discovery, so I'd say you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

bro i have already beaten the game so it would just be for completing all the obscure stuff and it can be a pain to keep looking stuff up on the ipad

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

Perhaps as a collector's item? There are guide videos on YouTube for practically every aspect of the game, so if you want spoilers you probably won't need it.

Yeah I got it and its massive and gorgeous and I still haven't actually looked through most of it besides pulling the map out to mark up as I clear Koroks.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

guppy posted:

I finally found a Switch in stock and picked it up along with Zelda. I've probably put somewhere between 5-7 hours in, but I'm not actually that far because I am dying over and over and over and over again. There's a lot to like about the game, but I'm struggling in ways I don't normally expect to struggle in a Zelda game. Combat-wise, I die constantly, and not just to big things. A truly incredible number of things one-shot me, and the things that don't come damned close. Individual bokoblins aren't a big threat, but even a single Moblin is scary, some skeletal lizard thing I had no idea was there one-shot me right after I climbed up the side of a ruin wall, both of the combat shrines I've done have had things that one-shot me or close to it, and when I tried to fight the Lynel above the Zora area (story-related), that one-shot me too. Sometimes I wander too close to a Guardian I didn't know existed and their lasers appear to be literally undodgeable unless you can find something to put in between the two of you really, really fast. Those two-shot me, if I'm at full health.

What in the suffering gently caress is going on? Most Zelda games are too easy with way too much hand-holding, but I have the opposite of both problems in this one. I'm not amazing at video games but I''m reasonably competent, I've been playing them since the '80s and can beat Zelda 1 without dying. I seem to be extremely bad at noticing the breadcrumbs the game is supposed to be putting out for me, so there are a lot of things I had to be told to do by other people -- for example, I went all the way to Zora's Domain in an old shirt and pants because I didn't know I could buy armor. (I didn't look, because you can't buy armor in most Zelda games.) I returned to Kakariko and bought the Hylian outfit and had the Great Fairy there upgrade it -- I also hadn't gone for the Great Fairy at first, because in Ocarina most of them gave you magic that was irrelevant until the endgame and I didn't think it was important -- and then I was told that I could also buy a set of Soldier armor in Hateno, so I went and bought that. I've started to upgrade it but am still gathering materials. (I've upgraded one piece so far). Until I finish upgrading it it's all worse than my upgraded Hylian outfit. I am given to understand I am also supposed to be doing something with Koroks in Kakariko, but I don't know what those are or where to find them, and I have looked for that particular breadcrumb.

I do every shrine I can find -- getting to some of them is a colossal pain in the rear end -- but I've only found ~12 or so. I've taken 2 heart upgrades (so a total of 5 hearts now) and one stamina upgrade so far.

Just keep at it. For me it was like Dark Souls in that you die a lot at the start but once you start getting used to it and find better gear/upgrade your health you become nigh-invulnerable and only die to stupidity/impatience.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Bloop posted:

Is that one with the stones arranged in a triangle? I just attached balloons to the rock, and hit it in the direction of the roof.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just remember that settlements, like towns, stables, and campsites, are valuable sources of information, gear, and the occasional sidequest. Talk To Everybody.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is that one with the stones arranged in a triangle? I just attached balloons to the rock, and hit it in the direction of the roof.

MOTHER F--!

I guess the idea of lifting small boulders into the air with a few balloons is so profoundly weird to me that I completely forget you can do this someone mentions it. I probably spent a good half hour trying to get the a tree to fall the right way to function as a bridge, and failing, (after also failing with stasis golf), and had written that one off for later.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

guppy posted:

Dying doesn't matter at all in this game. Avoid that Lynel unless you wanna practice fighting as others have said. There's a tipping point where all of a sudden your upgraded equipment and hearts/stamina and ability turns you into a God. Until then don't rush into fights (sneak around, use bombs, etc.), cook radishes one at a time for health boosts, and spend some time exploring. Tho I'd recommend beating the Zora beast since you're already there as the gift you get will really help.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The ruto guardian took only like 15 minutes and the boss was trivially easy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fetus posted:

I tried that but could never get it over the roof before they popped

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm still going at this game after however many hours, just recently beat the Goron temple to finish off all four, now I'm just wandering around like usual. I just did a temple that involved moving an ice cube to the end, getting it past fire jets (Melting Ice Hazard), but I ended up bullshitting the puzzle since I had no idea what it wanted from me. I'm glad the game doesn't care that much about how you go about solving puzzles, cause I've had to do weird stuff for them a good handful of times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

No, because games are silly little things.
Mods???

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Bloop posted:

I tried that but could never get it over the roof before they popped

After being told about it upthread, and a couple false starts, I carried a rock to put it next to the wall, popped a pair of octorok balloons on it, and wafted it a couple times with an aimed Korok leaf blast.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
For me, the best solution to the roof rock is to carry it right next to the roof, attach three octo balloons, stasis it once it gets high enough, and hit it with three arrows towards the roof. It should give it just enough momentum to knock it onto the roof once the stasis wears off.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Already at the Zora domain in 5 hours? I honestly don't understand people who want to rush through a game as quickly as possible. I don't think I got to the Zora city until the 20th or so hour of playing. There is way, way too much to explore in this game to just run by it, I think it's doing one's self a complete disservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Already at the Zora domain in 5 hours? I honestly don't understand people who want to rush through a game as quickly as possible. I don't think I got to the Zora city until the 20th or so hour of playing. There is way, way too much to explore in this game to just run by it, I think it's doing one's self a complete disservice.

Personally, I tried to rush through the story first and then did the exploring later. Still ended up exploring a poo poo load and enjoyed it, just did it afterwards