Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Slugnoid posted:

failing that, you could steal a bunch of money from an aspie

You misspelled rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yoink!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A reminder that after Notch bought that house he invited a bunch of people he doesn't know to his housewarming including famous at the time for making the same song over and over again; Martin Garrix

http://photo.rukes.com/notch/notch.html

Notch appears in 3 photos.

Some toe-sucking goin' on in there.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like Notch was probably a dick prior to making it big, but it can't help that he's a friendless loner and whenever he says "FEMINISM MORE LIKE CANCER" he has legions of fans slobbering his knob calling him a badass hero. It's probably the only positive contact the dude gets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like Notch was probably a dick prior to making it big, but it can't help that he's a friendless loner and whenever he says "FEMINISM MORE LIKE CANCER" he has legions of fans slobbering his knob calling him a badass hero. It's probably the only positive contact the dude gets.

He really doesn't, even "gamers" all hate him and the mention of his name in charity streams and poo poo get gasps and boos. No one likes or respects him and he's miserable about it, yet 100% brought it on him self.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Baronjutter posted:

He really doesn't, even "gamers" all hate him and the mention of his name in charity streams and poo poo get gasps and boos. No one likes or respects him and he's miserable about it, yet 100% brought it on him self.

Really? I was under the impression, and had seen enough lovely reddit posts calling him ~based Notch~ to think he was this beloved Gamer icon

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Baronjutter posted:

I still remember at this year's Summer Games Done Quick event, the announcer was so happy to announce, "We've just received a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR DONATION..."

The audience in the auditorium went wild, and they all started to cheer and clap.

And then the announcer finished, sounding notably less enthusiastic, even a little crestfallen, "...From Notch."

All of the applause stopped, immediately.

It was incredibly surreal to watch. The only name that could have gotten a bigger negative reaction would probably have been "Martin Shkreli."

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would 100% accept a $100k a year job from Notch to help him get friends and possibly a girlfriend. It'll be harder than my current job, but I think with my do-itude and stick-to-itiveness that I could find a way to turn his billions into likeability.

Slugnoid posted:

failing that, you could steal a bunch of money from an aspie

Nah, too much like what the Howard Stern show is nowadays: a bunch of freaks latching onto isolated rich people and creating a shark/lamprey symbotic relationship of loneliness and sadness.

That said, I'm glad Milo's house destruction hasn't gotten any more attention. Somehow that seems like the best punishment: a famewhore has something really bad happen to them and the news media says 'this happened' and then rolls on from it, leaving the misery to sit and not become some basis for this rear end in a top hat to get back in the limelight being an useless obnoxious gently caress.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

Notch is a loving idiot redpill dork but honestly he's a pretty depressing dude. Yeah he's rich as gently caress, but he's very clearly deeply miserable inside.
So are a lot of the compassionate, amazing, poor people I know so I'm not going to feel bad for someone who moved away from some of the best psychological care, which he would actively be helping paying for, for someone else down the line just so he (thinks he) can openly be a bigot and doesn't have to pay "too much" in taxes.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

A man who took apricot kernels to beat cancer got cyanide poisoning

He didn't die, but hopefully learned his lesson about alternative "medicine", right?

hahahahaha nope

IIRC the active chemical in apricot kernels actually does kind of work. It's just at the level you need to take it at it's basically lethal as well.

Both the US and USSR ran tests on it in the early 20th century and both determined that it's far, far too toxic to be worth it.

So even soviet loving Russia noped out of it, but NATURAL REMEDIES man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Really? I was under the impression, and had seen enough lovely reddit posts calling him ~based Notch~ to think he was this beloved Gamer icon

It was that way for awhile when he was purely known as "Minecraft Man". As soon as people got to know him personally.... whoopsie.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

I listened to an episode of a podcast where one of the dudes "accidentally" said the word "midget" quickly realized his mistake and said that it was a hosed up word to use and that he still has a lot to learn. Which is a pretty cool way to react and handle that sort of situation, especially because he could have just cut it out.. A "whoops, ain't I a stinker?" laugh, not so much. I thought Swedes were cool and progressive but turns out you're just well spoken Danes :(

Was it 'I Don't Even Own a Television,' a podcast about bad books? I thought it was weird when he stopped the whole show and drew so much attention to it, is midget really considered a slur? I don't want to be all Old Guy on the Internet but to me midget just means 'little person' with absolutely no built-in negative connotations.

e:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A reminder that after Notch bought that house he invited a bunch of people he doesn't know to his housewarming including famous at the time for making the same song over and over again; Martin Garrix

http://photo.rukes.com/notch/notch.html

Notch appears in 3 photos.

I'm the chick wearing a Japanese-style transparent raincoat indoors. And sure most of this is excessive tacky bullshit, but I actually might do the candy wall if I could. Not on that scale, I'd never be able to eat it before the back half went stale, but it's kind of a neat idea. I might have an issue with sweets and self-control tho :smith:

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Sep 12, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RaspberryCommie posted:

IIRC the active chemical in apricot kernels actually does kind of work. It's just at the level you need to take it at it's basically lethal as well.

It doesn't. There have been repeated studies on it over decades and it's consistently no better than placebo.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

Was it 'I Don't Even Own a Television,' a podcast about bad books? I thought it was weird when he stopped the whole show and drew so much attention to it, is midget really considered a slur? I don't want to be all Old Guy on the Internet but to me midget just means 'little person' with absolutely no built-in negative connotations.

dwarves is the correct term but i think saying midget is more of a faux pas than an offensive insult

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Slugnoid posted:

dwarves is the correct term but i think saying midget is more of a faux pas than an offensive insult

I'm just a terrible internet shut-in then, to me dwarves are from LotR books and THAT would be a horrible insult to call a real person.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's what the Little People Association of America has to say about it.

quote:

LPA issues statement to abolish the "m" word
September 2015

Little People of America, the world’s oldest and largest dwarfism support organization and an international, membership-based organization for people with dwarfism and their families, advocates to abolish the use of the word “midget”. The word “midget” was never coined as the official term to identify people with dwarfism, but was created as a label used to refer to people of short stature who were on public display for curiosity and sport. Today, the word “midget” is considered a derogatory slur. The dwarfism community has voiced that they prefer to be referred to as dwarfs, little people, people of short stature or having dwarfism, or simply, and most preferably, by their given name.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm just a terrible internet shut-in then, to me dwarves are from LotR books and THAT would be a horrible insult to call a real person.

The condition is literally called dwarfism.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Not so much. When a rather connected friend I used to play D&D with introduced me (to among others, Jerry Pournelle) at one of his parties, he said "Hi, this is [Sam]. He's a dwarf."

His parties were great, but definitely skewed geeky.

(I am half an inch under 6 feet, BTW.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Takes No Damage posted:

To be a proper pedantic nerd about it, dwarves are from LotR, dwarfs are little people and/or diminutive fantasy characters. The former word didn't exist until Tolkien.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It was that way for awhile when he was purely known as "Minecraft Man". As soon as people got to know him personally.... whoopsie.

He was smart enough to keep his opinions under wraps until after he'd sold everything to Microsoft and they could no longer affect his income.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

To be a proper pedantic nerd about it, dwarves are from LotR, dwarfs are little people and/or diminutive fantasy characters. The former word didn't exist until Tolkien.

It did exist, but he popularized it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like how all these groups keep trying to steal some of "the N word"'s power for themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

It did exist, but he popularized it.

Yeah.

Here it is in an 1864 book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp :owned:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Data Graham posted:

Kinda tangential but he also invented Orcs whole-cloth. (Def not elves tho)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

“He was a very great philologist, and he knew precisely the way he wanted to say things. In a sense, I was more his correspondent than his editor during ‘The Lord of the Rings.’ His spellings could be eccentric‐his plural of dwarf was dwarves, for example. Once a printer corrected all his so‐called misspellings. Tolkien was furious. The printer then quoted as his authority the Oxford English Dictionary. And Tolkien responded, ‘Why, I wrote the O.E.D.!’ As a matter of fact, he had worked on it early in his career.”

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/10/02/archives/behind-the-best-sellers-jrr-tolkien.html

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

a kitten posted:

Here's what the Little People Association of America has to say about it.

This is a good link, and the preferred terms are 'dwarf' or 'little person' at least to most people with dwarfism. Midget is absolutely a slur, and is actually considered pretty offensive, like the link says it's basically calling them a name coined to represent them as a carnival act.

source: younger brother has dwarfism

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Captain Monkey posted:

source: younger brother has dwarfism

You mean your little brother?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

ante posted:

You mean your little brother?

:vince:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Definitely a slur but its along the same lines as cracker or saying I got gyped. No ones leaving out letters in them.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Dwarves are a band 😉

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Little people (midgets/dwarfs) and the mentally handicapped (retards/idiots/imbeciles/morons/dummies) really should aim to address the underlying issue behind the words' usage as pejoratives, with also trying to take ownership of the terms some use to their detriment. Otherwise you're just going to see society turn the next "clinical", "unbaggaged" term for them into another insult—a process that's been described as a euphemism treadmill. "Retard" itself came into being in an effort to popularize an initially non-pejorative term for the mentally-handicapped.

Homosexuals (gays), on the other hand, led successful campaigns to both transform society's view of homosexuality and claim the word "gay" for themselves. This also had the effect of pushing stronger slurs (human being) even further outside the bounds of acceptable discourse, though still at times used as a badge of pride within the community. You still get retards and bigots that try to use them that way, but, unless you live in a particularly backwards area, the use of the terms as pejoratives is greatly diminished. The evolution of the word "friend of the family" in the African American community and broader society parallels "human being", and it's hard to say whether we as a society can ever achieve the racial equity necessary for it to ever become a shared positive term in the way "gay" is becoming (and there's plenty of debate about whether or not the term should instead be excised entirely, though that horse has probably left the barn).

I can see little people being successful at reducing the usage of their descriptors as insults, especially with more exposure for them in popular media that emphasizes their humanity. Reduce the "novelty" in seeing a little person and affirm that they're just like you or me. Probably should have gone just championed "dwarf" as it rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "little person" and has cool Tolkein-esque connotations in popular culture, but whatever—I guess they made their decision.

As for the mentally handicapped, however, it's probably impossible to dissociate any term used for them from a colloquial pejorative, nor keep any new term from becoming an insult. If there is one that thing serves as the foundation of how humans characterize humanity, it is intelligence—principally: self-awareness, communicative ability, and complex reasoning. No matter how much some try to put divider between terms used for the voluntarily moronic and the involuntarily handicapped, I just don't see it sticking because language is too drat fluid and we humans are loving retarded.

Really, if there's one word used as an insult that is long overdue for a sea-change to transform its negative connotations to positive, it's pussy. Pussy's loving fierce and don't need none of your poo poo. There have been more and more positive uses in popular protest, but even these more-progressive-than-not forums still uses it to mean "weak" or "pathetic" with disgraceful regularity.

Anyways, this long, possibly-offensive rambling from a white male cracker is courtesy of me procrastinating on going to sleep. The Schadenfreude is on my future, sleep-deprived self.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Source your quotes.

Seriously, please tell me you did not just unironically write a million word post with the premise "I am a white man and here are my unprompted thoughts about how minorities should handle prejudice."

EDIT: Good news minorities! Remember that little slur problem you've been having? I solved it! It really is quite simple, I'm not sure how you haven't figured it out yet. Anyway you're welcome."

Ariong has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FalloutGod posted:

Definitely a slur but its along the same lines as cracker or saying I got gyped. No ones leaving out letters in them.

I was tutoring a teenage a while back who used the word "Gypped" in a sentence. I corrected him, and said that the term was offensive. He honestly didn't know. I had to explain to him that it referred to Gypsies, and that he should use another term.

So he said, "Well, what I am supposed to say, 'I got Jewed out of it?' "

Kids these days.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Somebody sum up what this Notch guy did that got him so reviled with, uh, pretty much everybody?

All I know about him is 'made Minecraft' and I guess bad personality? Did he shoot up an orphanage or something, what is the story here

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Somebody sum up what this Notch guy did that got him so reviled with, uh, pretty much everybody?

All I know about him is 'made Minecraft' and I guess bad personality? Did he shoot up an orphanage or something, what is the story here

He hates feminists, to start. And now he's rich and bored and doesn't have to work so he spends all day on twitter doing poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/tegiminis/status/735877108933623808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Parrotine posted:

he started an indie game company in sweden then sold it to microsoft for ONE HUNDRED... BILLION... DOLLARS who laid off heaps of his original staff. then he moved from sweden to the states, took a big bite of the red pill and became a hardcore MRA/proud boy/white nationalist