Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure it was announced as two parts to begin with and they didn't call it IT: Chapter One or whatever because they weren't sure how it would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm pretty sure it was announced as two parts to begin with and they didn't call it IT: Chapter One or whatever because they weren't sure how it would do.

Ok, that makes sense. Guess we should be looking forward to chapter two then, because chapter one already seems to be successful and well received.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InterrupterJones posted:

Ok, that makes sense. Guess we should be looking forward to chapter two then, because chapter one already seems to be successful and well received.

I appreciate them not being presumptuous about it, but they really should've had more confidence. It's only two parts, not seven.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
While you goofs are all seeing IT, I went to see Wind River. One of the best movies of 2017 so far. Great performances by the entire cast.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970): B, I guess

This was an odd movie, and I'm not altogether sure what to make of it. A young Barbra Streisand plays a college student who has played a variety of past lives, including a British seductress in the early 19th century. Yves Montand is a psychiatrist who stumbles upon the past lives when hypnotizing Streisand's character to compel her to quit smoking. It was entertaining, and Streisand is definitely a talented singer, but the ending is somewhat vague, in my opinion, and the story line itself is strange and a little meandering.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Five Easy Pieces (1970, Bob Rafelson) - 4/5 [Blu-ray]
Drive, He Said (1971, Jack Nicholson) - 3.5/5 [Blu-ray]
A Safe Place (1971, Henry Jaglom) - 2.5/5 [Blu-ray]

You almost can't go wrong with any early Jack Nicholson performances, even if the film varies in quality. He's a powerhouse in Five Easy Pieces, strengthened by an equally amazing performance by Karen Black. Nicholson's directorial debut, Drive, He Said, is fascinating as both an anti-war statement and a slice of Vietnam-era America. While it doesn't always work as a film, it has enough to make it worthwhile (also, another great performance by Black). A Safe Place is one film I knew would be underwhelming, but it sort of works as a film based on stream of consciousness and almost a drunk logic to it.

Interiors (1978, Woody Allen) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray]

Woody Allen's first dramatic film is a real gut punch. He excelled at bringing a clever cinematic look to his comedies of the 70s, so it's not surprising that he and camera maestro Gordon Willis made something as stunning to look at. It's brooding, much like a Bergman film, but with an extra layer of dread and melancholy. Incredible performances, especially from Geraldine Page.

Tampopo (1985, Juzo Itami) - 5/5 [Blu-ray]

This is an absolute joy of a film. Some reviews compare this film to the work of Jacques Tati, which is apt. While there's the main "ramen western" story, Itami doesn't hesitate to turn the camera to other characters only tangentially related to the main plot for some great asides. It also manages to break the fourth wall a few times, almost like a cartoon. This is one great scene after another, with plenty of offbeat humor and easily the most delicious food photography I've seen in a film. Never see this film on an empty stomach. This shoots to the top of my favorite movies and I can't wait to watch it again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tailored Sauce posted:

While you goofs are all seeing IT, I went to see Wind River. One of the best movies of 2017 so far. Great performances by the entire cast.

I was happy to see Jon Bernthal, at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It solid 4/5. Kids were great, especially Bev. Effects were solid and Pennywise was really drat good. Can't imagine the adult sequel will live up to this, as everything that made it work so well relied on the kids (both character wise and casting).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tailored Sauce posted:

IT was way better than Wind River

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Ghost in the Shell (2017) (full review at the link)

Rating: Dislike (scale of Like/Indifferent/Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Sort of a poor artist's RoboCop (2014). The whitewashing of Major is (almost) the least of GitS' problems. Too sterilized in its body horror, ScarJo capable of doin' the flippy poo poo without giving her much of an opportunity to do the flippy poo poo, and a sort of preordained conspiracy telegraphed heavily by the claustrophobic nature of the city's presentation. Michael Pitt is wasted behind the special effects and doesn't get the opportunity to tap into the intriguing darkness he can summon on a whim. Nearly fell asleep watching it due to the on-rails nature of the whole production.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Beach Rats - 66/100

Mother! - 91/100

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Butterflies Are Free (1972): A
Alice's Restaurant (1969): B+

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yankee Doodle Dandy is on the AFI Top 100 so if you think that means something you probably should see this, or if you are interested in seeing how much biopics have changed.

It wasn't what I imagined at all from the trailer, but Vampire Carnival is perfect viewing for a Halloween movie party, provided people aren't sensitive about some grody nudity.

Speaking of nudity (although I think its explicit stuff is more tasteful than Vampire Canrival and I'm talking about a film where guy shits into a glass container), Holy Mountain is really cool and if you're into artsy, absurd movies, see it.

Lupin the 3rd: Castile of Cagliostro is AMAZING. See it!!! I'm not much of an anime guy in general, but I loved this a lot.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 16, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mother what the hell/5

Aronofsky at his most Aronofsky. Symbolism was too on the nose for my liking. His weakest film other than Noah, which was trash. Jlaw and Javier killed though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ingrid Goes West 3/4, mostly how I expected but still drat good as a 20teens update of single white female, and sticks the landing. Cringey in the best way

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Mother what the hell/5

Aronofsky at his most Aronofsky. Symbolism was too on the nose for my liking. His weakest film other than Noah, which was trash. Jlaw and Javier killed though.

IMO the whirlwind pace and intensity made up for the lack of subtlety.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

IMO the whirlwind pace and intensity made up for the lack of subtlety.

Yeah, agreed. I think it's his best film by a country mile, but I'm not a superfan of his.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Holy Mountain - 89/100
Probably the most scathingly anti-capitalist film I've ever seen. Bravo.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, agreed. I think it's his best film by a country mile, but I'm not a superfan of his.

Agreed, I like The Wrestler and Black Swan, and Mother is phenomenal, but the rest of his stuff never really connected with me.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Ghost in the Shell (2017) (full review at the link)

Rating: Dislike (scale of Like/Indifferent/Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Sort of a poor artist's RoboCop (2014). The whitewashing of Major is (almost) the least of GitS' problems. Too sterilized in its body horror, ScarJo capable of doin' the flippy poo poo without giving her much of an opportunity to do the flippy poo poo, and a sort of preordained conspiracy telegraphed heavily by the claustrophobic nature of the city's presentation. Michael Pitt is wasted behind the special effects and doesn't get the opportunity to tap into the intriguing darkness he can summon on a whim. Nearly fell asleep watching it due to the on-rails nature of the whole production.

Couldn't agree more, that film was absolute guff

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Mother! - Dir. Darren Aronosfky, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

Claustrophobic, paranoia-inducing, haunting, and nightmarishly surreal at times. The film begins with quiet tension and continuously escalates into scenes that are terrifying, disturbing, hard-to-watch. Some audiences will hate the extreme violence that pops up. Others will find the allegories/themes over the top or on the nose. Personally, I loved the film. It was sledgehammer-subtle at times, but it was such a spectacle and such a masterclass in tension and repulsive violence that it more than made up for any artistic excess. The film supports multiple readings and interpretations but doesn't ultimately feel indulgent or sloppy. It's a unique film, unlike anything out in theaters this year, and if you can hang with some genuinely unpleasant violence against women and children, but not animals, I recommend it.

4/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Mother! - Dir. Darren Aronosfky, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

Claustrophobic, paranoia-inducing, haunting, and nightmarishly surreal at times. The film begins with quiet tension and continuously escalates into scenes that are terrifying, disturbing, hard-to-watch. Some audiences will hate the extreme violence that pops up. Others will find the allegories/themes over the top or on the nose. Personally, I loved the film. It was sledgehammer-subtle at times, but it was such a spectacle and such a masterclass in tension and repulsive violence that it more than made up for any artistic excess. The film supports multiple readings and interpretations but doesn't ultimately feel indulgent or sloppy. It's a unique film, unlike anything out in theaters this year, and if you can hang with some genuinely unpleasant violence against women and children, but not animals, I recommend it.

4/5

I feel confident saying that Mother! has some of the most atheistic (and frankly audacious) religious allegory I've come across in film.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I feel confident saying that Mother! has some of the most atheistic (and frankly audacious) religious allegory I've come across in film.

I wouldn't call it atheistic, more Deistic or anti-theistic. Bardem, the I Am, is alternately indifferent to Lawrence's pain and unable/unwilling to act or actively hostile to her while excusing his cruelty with platitudes about pain being necessary for creation. In this theology, it's not that God doesn't exist, it's that his values are abhorrent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

I wouldn't call it atheistic, more Deistic or anti-theistic. Bardem, the I Am, is alternately indifferent to Lawrence's pain and unable/unwilling to act or actively hostile to her while excusing his cruelty with platitudes about pain being necessary for creation. In this theology, it's not that God doesn't exist, it's that his values are abhorrent.

I interpreted I Am I more as a pattern of natural behavior or inclination that is rationalizing/paternalistic in the extreme (perhaps nature's male instinct, or a patriarchal manifestation within the cogs of creation) but also a self-acknowledged in it's inability to properly assess morality, therefore somewhat indifferent to the more abstract pain, passivity, subtlety of feeling, and slow labor of Gaea/Home.

The remarkable thing is how coherently it weaves together chaotic, displaced visual references to the timeless overindulgence of society, material excess, manipulation of iconography, and the inability to finish even the smallest complete thought in our age of immediate information/disaster capitalism/terror war (with the extended horror sequence owing some of its visual motifs to Children of Men). The movie is an incredibly abstract fever dream of the human compulsion to despoil.

Now, it's all told within the framework of numerous religious parables from across the spectrum (christian symbolism, talmudic reference), but the focus is ALWAYS on Gaea's emotional reaction to perpetual horror, that is, Jennifer Lawrence's face. So even though the cinematic allusions to final-girls and 70s horror movies are spread on pretty thick...the focus is nearly always on this sort of reaction shot of the acquiescent victim, as if to force the viewer to finally personalize their destruction of nature.

AND...at the same time it's entirely cyclical and infinite. Very thought provoking.
Sorry for :words:

edit; At this point I'm not even sure I would call it a horror movie, even though it both has scenes that are horrifying and appropriates horror tropes. I feel like it transcends the genre.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 17, 2017

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Went and saw IT (2017), stayed for Wind River.

IT (2017): 6 thumbs up out of 7
Wind River: 5 thumbs up out of 7

IT: Was close enough to the plot of the book to be scary, condensed and changed things in ways that seemed necessary to me. Basically perfect except I have to turn one thumb down for the "loud" noises that seem to have to accompany the scares, as others have mentioned.

Wind River: A mystery with good performances from actors and actresses I normally wouldn't have expected. Putting down two thumbs due to not giving the audience enough information to solve the mystery on their own (I think all mystery stories should give at least some info to allow someone paying attention to predict a conclusion) and the very odd way the mystery is just suddenly explained out of nowhere in the third act.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Last Picture Show (1971, Peter Bogdanovich) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray]
The King of Marvin Gardens (1971, Bob Rafelson) - 4/5 [Blu-ray]

Finally finished the Criterion BBS set. The Last Picture Show is pretty much just an excuse to put a lot of terrific actors together and let them loose. Often haunting. It helps that it's in B&W, which gives it a stark feel, especially in the swimming scene. Great performances, but I think the best one if Cloris Leachman. Especially her last scene.

The King of Marvin Gardens is another one set in the wastelands of America, this time in Atlantic City. Not as clear as Five Easy Pieces, but still some drat good acting. Ellen Burstyn, especially. Also, Bruce Dern makes any movie better by his presence.

La ronde (1951, Max Ophuls) - 3.5/5 [Filmstruck]

It's a pretty film, but I felt it was a bit too smug for its own good. A+ for style, but C for substance.

Fantastic Planet (1973, Rene Laloux) - 4/5 [Filmstruck]

Trippy. While the actual animation is pretty basic (it's more like a series of illustrations), it does have a lot of imagination. It's really obvious they were fans of the Disney's "Mars and Beyond" since a lot of the alien creatures are right out of that film.

Paris, Texas (1984, Wim Wenders) - 4.75/5 [Filmstruck]

With Harry Dean Stanton passing this week, I wanted to see one of his best films. This lives up to the reputation. Incredible performance by Stanton. Also, Hunter is one of the best child performances I've seen in a film. Pretty much any time he's on screen with Stanton is gold.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 18, 2017

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
The Lost City of Z (James Gray, 2016) - 4.5 / 5

They really don't make them like this anymore. One of the best slow-burn adventure films I've seen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 67/100

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Guess who got a movie pass?

IT B
Good Time A-
mother! B+
Logan Lucky B-
Atomic Blonde C+

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

IT B
Good Time A-
mother! B+
Logan Lucky B-
Atomic Blonde C+

How long did it take to arrive? I'm still skeptical that their whole system will ever be profitable or last.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

How long did it take to arrive? I'm still skeptical that their whole system will ever be profitable or last.

It took about a month I think, though my mom ordered one before me and still hasn't gotten here so it seems pretty random.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

glam rock hamhock posted:

IT B
Good Time A-
mother! B+
Logan Lucky B-
Atomic Blonde C+
To my extreme displeasure my Movie Pass came just too late to see Good Time, which has vanished from theaters here. However, as you can see, I did manage to see some new stuff (scores out of 100):

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 72
Near Dark (1987) - 79
Mother! (2017) - 84
Ingrid Goes West (2017) - 81
K-19: The Widowmaker (2002) - 70
Blue Steel (1990) - 75
Beginners (2011) - 82
Wind River (2017) - 79
Logan Lucky (2017) - 80
The Loveless (1982) - 82
Baby Driver (2017) - 82
Dunkirk (2017) - 93
A Single Man (2009) - 80
The Shooting (1966) - 89
The Lobster (2015) - 83

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on Near Dark?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

got any sevens posted:

Why so down on Near Dark?
79's a good score! I wasn't really feeling the two leads, and the scene in the bar was really the only time I ever felt like the movie was firing on all cylinders. Also most of the time it just wasn't a particularly great looking movie. As you can see, I've been watching a bunch of Bigelow, and compared to her movie right before this, The Loveless, the aesthetic was pretty tired. Bill Paxton's spurs, for instance, didn't really mesh with the rest of his costume at all. The characterization of the kid vampire was tough to follow: he's super old but also randomly acts like a child sometimes? Lance Henricsen's bae had pretty much no character or personality. But, again, 79's a pretty good score. I liked the movie!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Super Mario Bros. (1993): D

This was my first time seeing this movie, and I'm still not exactly sure what to make of it. I may end up amending my rating upwards or downwards. Reimaginings are not necessarily a bad thing, but recasting the Mushroom Kingdom as some sort of....cyberpunk dystopia where Goombas are dinosaur things, and Koopa is a white guy with a horrible haircut, is just...weird. I felt so sorry for Bob Hoskins. After all the good will and praise he (rightly) generated after Who Framed Roger Rabbit, he embarrasses himself in this movie - not through his acting, which is fine, but by simply appearing in it.

Granted, a Japanese game about an Italian stereotype eating magic mushrooms to take on anthropomorphic turtles is weird enough on its own. This movie, though, was just a little too strange and overly stylized for my tastes.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The super Mario movie is oddly brilliant because it's like an exec said there needed to be a Mario movie to capitalise on the franchise success and there has to be a plumber and dinosaurs and mushrooms and a Princess and someone with no context for how any of that applied to the games was given the go to make it.

Saying that I haven't seen it in about 20 years, maybe should revisit it one day just to explore what a mindfuck it was.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Macarius Wrench posted:

The super Mario movie is oddly brilliant because it's like an exec said there needed to be a Mario movie to capitalise on the franchise success and there has to be a plumber and dinosaurs and mushrooms and a Princess and someone with no context for how any of that applied to the games was given the go to make it.

Saying that I haven't seen it in about 20 years, maybe should revisit it one day just to explore what a mindfuck it was.

Mindfuck is a good word for it. I didn't exactly hate Super Mario Bros., but I don't think I can say that I liked it either. It's not as clearly awful like Freddy Got Fingered and other horrible movies I've seen. It's just....something.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm the same boat but yeah the last time I watched it I was maybe 11/12 so that probably tainted my view

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
On the other hand The Wizard was a legit good movie about Super Mario Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like Freddy Got Fingered and Mario bros