Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've never heard an explicit term for what you're talking about, just generic stuff like "power-down" or what have you.

A lot of the old Japanese superplay videos would cover that sort of thing - not only would they show the one-credit clear, they'd show recovery patterns for every checkpoint/spawn point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of the old Japanese superplay videos would cover that sort of thing - not only would they show the one-credit clear, they'd show recovery patterns for every checkpoint/spawn point.

Now THIS is cool.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Back in the day on gamefaqs, people'd often call it "salt in the wound" or "loser's curse".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

This is actually very cool since it's the game auto-adjusting, but is if anything a response to what I'm describing. I'll explain in greater detail:

In Contra 3 and 4, you can trivially kill a boss before it can do much even on the hardest difficulty if you have crushers (esp. double crushers). If you die shortly before the boss room and lose your crusher, the boss, while remaining the same, is now considerably harder because it takes longer for you to kill it with whatever other weapon you have and it has a chance to do more stuff. The game itself hasn't changed in terms of enemy behavior, it's the player character that became weaker due to happenstance.

When you're trying to come back from a death in a SHMUP, it's called recovery. The game will rank down a little after you die because you're starting over from a checkpoint, but there's the assumption that you got so far without dying, so surely you can get through this onslaught again. If you die a few more times, then the game's rank lowers bit by bit for you to be able to beat the rest of the stage and the boss. In arcade games, they are trying to kill you in order to get another credit out of you for a continue. They're not made to be impossible to recover from a death, but people that aren't interested in credit feeding a game are going to move on and let someone else try.

Bosses in just about any video game are harder to beat with the bare minimum for equipment. It's just being under-prepared. Like, look at a recommended order to go in for a Mega Man game. You can start anywhere in that loop, but one or two robot masters a a lot easier to fight with just the Mega Buster than the others are because they take more damage from it or are simpler fights. You can beat Ganon with just the wooden sword, your plain shield, and only three heart containers but it's a mother fucker to actually do it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
A similar example but not the same as losing Zelda sword beam is losing holy water by dying in castlevania and not getting it back before death.
I guess you call it just "losing power up."
Super Mario bros is the most obvious example, but it's overlooked because it's part of the core gameplay. The worst in supermario bros. is losing fire after the last set of power ups in 8-3. Though, it's rough on people as early as 8-1 if you don't have locations memorized.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ahh yes, I forgot about Super Mario 1. And Mega Man games from running out of the boss' weak weapon is another possibility.

I'm liking "loser's curse" as the name of what I'm talking about.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Momentum

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who wants some kiosk stuff??

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=176936

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Eugh the full kiosks themselves I'd rather stay from, I'll stick to my passing interest in the carts and discs. It's a having no space thing, and I've never been particularly fascinated by a kiosk set up: I never mucked around with them much in stores.

Though why the hell did he bother to try and split it all up for more money? Even the original packaging? I would think it would be easier to move as a complete unit. And doesn't ebay have a promotion on where they're capping the final seller fee at $10 for listings that end at $100 and up too?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

Super influential and not bad so much as not user friendly. That said, if you bounce off it you're not going to like it better because it's on the PC Engine. Druaga was an early arcade game, after all, and the Famicom version is pretty solid as a port.

Of the Druaga series:

Tower of Druaga is interesting, but cruel.
The Return of Ishtar is much worse than Tower and just not worth playing.
Quest of Ki is really fantastic, though some of the final stages in the bonus levels are total dick moves.
Blue Crystal Rod I've never played and as far as I can tell, nobody outside of Japan has either.
Nightmare of Druaga is kind of neat, though it's definitely more Mystery Dungeon than Tower of Druaga.

Thank you for writing this up!

I don't think I understood Tower of Druaga until I discovered that jet boots are a thing. Being that slow from the beginning just seems needlessly hamstringing to players who want to feed your cabinet money. It takes an inordinate amount of time to accumulate all the right armor pieces to survive the end (I'm guessing old online bulletin boards or schoolyard rumors for strategies on what item was hidden on what floor).

My reason for saying the PC Engine remake may be better is because it's slightly more inviting to the player, affording you hit points and stat points, as well as on-screen hints that match the levels you play, and so on. Also, the slow crawl from the arcade is not as dismal here, and the jet boots are again a required item. Lastly, my greatest gratitude goes to the decision to murder the score table, which also meant that the countdown clock was also sacked. That means so much less stress!

I had been meaning to look at Quest of Ki; thank you for the recommendation!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

Dragon Power is one of the most unplayable NES games out there, only it's the one that flies under people's radar.

I'm going through the Chrontendo series by leaving it to play while I cook or do other poo poo around the house and so far what I'm getting from it is that Bandai and Toei made some especially awful games during the Famicom days.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. Really the mechanic is kind of a "streak" and the games incentivize keeping your streak by making you lose your power when you gently caress up.

Contrast this with Mega Man, for example, where such a mechanic doesn't really exist and I intentionally game over when I start a new stage just so I'll have a full stock of lives :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turbinosamente posted:

Eugh the full kiosks themselves I'd rather stay from, I'll stick to my passing interest in the carts and discs. It's a having no space thing, and I've never been particularly fascinated by a kiosk set up: I never mucked around with them much in stores.

Though why the hell did he bother to try and split it all up for more money? Even the original packaging? I would think it would be easier to move as a complete unit. And doesn't ebay have a promotion on where they're capping the final seller fee at $10 for listings that end at $100 and up too?

Full disclosure? That's mine. I assumed it would be harder to sell the whole shoot and match. Maybe I was wrong?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Full disclosure? That's mine. I assumed it would be harder to sell the whole shoot and match. Maybe I was wrong?

If you have the complete kiosk, I would sell it as a whole, especially if you have the stand and everything and they just need to attach a TV and plug it in.. What area are you in? There are sure to be some collectors who would go for it, if not for anything other than to brag about for collectors cred.

I think a Wii Kiosk would be the one I'd probably most go for if I had room since you stand and move for many of its games anyway.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It was all conjecture on my part but I was of an understanding that kiosk collecting is a niche within a niche, and that it'd be harder to move individual parts, but there may be more general game collectors interested in a complete set up all at once. My thought was the arcade community is always looking for salvageable cabinet parts and CIB collectors will buy boxes and manuals separate, but are there enough kiosk collectors who want/need to do the same thing?

I could be totally wrong on this though, I'm sure some one else in this thread can confirm/deny on the nature of the kiosk market.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Rollersnake posted:

OK, so what is the best general purpose PC gamepad then, for retro and modern games? I need to replace my Xbox 360 controller since the left stick is drifting, and I'm not getting an Xbox One controller since I prefer wired and it's ludicrous to spend $70 on a gamepad anyway.

Are there any particularly good 3rd party 360 controllers?

For retro games I really like the official Saturn USB controller.

The only big annoyance is having to set up a DirectInput->XInput wrapper for most modern 2D games. I haven't been able to use x360ce with Sonic Mania because of its DRM :sigh:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The other annoyance is that the legit ones are like $100 these days.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I ended up going with an XBox One controller after all. No idea why I thought they were $70—I must have been looking at limited edition colors before, or something.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cross-posting with the SNES Classic thread: The NES Classic is re-entering production and will return to shelves next summer. The Famicom Classic is also re-entering production, but no date beyond "2018" has been specified.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I used some of the my nintendo coins I had piling up on getting the nes castlevania games at a discount. Completely forgot you couldn't remap the buttons, which reminded me why I don't buy nes games on the 3ds.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm going through the Chrontendo series by leaving it to play while I cook or do other poo poo around the house and so far what I'm getting from it is that Bandai and Toei made some especially awful games during the Famicom days.

Bandai was the LJN of Japan. Though they turned out better in the end due to joining up with Namco.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a 16-bit game but Dragon Power, the unlicensed western conversion of the first Dragon Ball game, gave not-Master Roshi a burning desire for not-Bulma's "sandwiches" which I'm pretty sure were just the original panties sprite flipped upside-down.

Fascinating. I don't think the game was unlicensed, though. I think Bandai published it. A family member of mine had the game, it had a proper gray cart and whatnot.

univbee posted:

Got a very out-there game design question for something mostly seen in retro games. Basically, I want to know if there's a name or accepted term for the concept where the difficulty ramps up considerably because you got hit or died. Things like losing the "beam" in Zelda when you get hit, or when you lose weapons from dying in games like Contra, Gradius and Adventure Island.

On shmupsforum sometimes we call that "Gradius Syndrome". Even with the rank adjustment, it is often too much of a hill to climb without power-ups.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Fascinating. I don't think the game was unlicensed, though. I think Bandai published it. A family member of mine had the game, it had a proper gray cart and whatnot.

Unlicensed in the sense that it no longer had the Dragon Ball license.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Unlicensed in the sense that it no longer had the Dragon Ball license.

If memory serves, the PAL versions actually retained the Dragon Ball license (although have the same censorship as the Western version's upside-down panties). It's interesting going back to those days because Japanese Anime and Manga had pretty heavy presence in parts of Europe like France from like the 60's to the 80's, far more than North America had at the time before the mid-90's big Anime push.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

univbee posted:

If memory serves, the PAL versions actually retained the Dragon Ball license (although have the same censorship as the Western version's upside-down panties). It's interesting going back to those days because Japanese Anime and Manga had pretty heavy presence in parts of Europe like France from like the 60's to the 80's, far more than North America had at the time before the mid-90's big Anime push.

According to Dragon Ball Wikia:

"The European edition of the game was only released in France and it retained the license using familiar art and music from the Dragon Ball anime. It is also the first Famicom/NES game translated into French, however this translation includes many misspellings and errors."

I had looked at that page last night when I was trying to remember if he called them sandwiches or tacos... I just remembered the triangle shape

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh was it just France? I played a bit of that version and yeah, it was messy. The sandwich bit was "un repas" (a meal).

French itself just requires too many drat letters to say stuff. You know how some NES games have the problem where there isn't enough memory or text box space to have proper translation, so they just stiffly do it? With French it's worse again than that.

I also like how France got a pathetically small number of actual NES game translations and that had to be one of them.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I was trying to swap an 8 pin bios chip. One of the legs came completely off. It didn't snap, it like, slid out of the drat chip. So there's not even a spec for me to solder on to.

I've been reading that I could lightly Dremel the chip to expose some metal of where the pin went to. However, I thought these things were like micro SD cards in that every spec of it has data on it. I don't want to "scrape off" any data. Is the "data" typically on the top of the chip, or the bottom? Or neither? Basically, does it matter which side I scrape to get to the pin?

The chip die itself is most likely much smaller than the package, so you're probably safe to shave off a bit to get access to the traces. Something like this:

You won't know for sure though unless someone else has already x-rayed or decapped that particular chip.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I was trying to swap an 8 pin bios chip. One of the legs came completely off. It didn't snap, it like, slid out of the drat chip. So there's not even a spec for me to solder on to.

I've been reading that I could lightly Dremel the chip to expose some metal of where the pin went to. However, I thought these things were like micro SD cards in that every spec of it has data on it. I don't want to "scrape off" any data. Is the "data" typically on the top of the chip, or the bottom? Or neither? Basically, does it matter which side I scrape to get to the pin?

I've done this with a NES PPU chip before and it worked fine. The real challenge is getting solder to stick to the pin leads; I had to sand it a bit before coating it with flux.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

I also like how France got a pathetically small number of actual NES game translations and that had to be one of them.

I like that Kirby's Adventure was the only NES game with a French Canadian release.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

cosmicjim posted:

Super Mario bros is the most obvious example, but it's overlooked because it's part of the core gameplay. The worst in supermario bros. is losing fire after the last set of power ups in 8-3. Though, it's rough on people as early as 8-1 if you don't have locations memorized.

Vs. Super Mario Bros. (the arcade version) is straight-up evil in a few places. In the NES version of world 5-2, there's a mushroom in the top row of bricks right before you encounter this Hammer Brother, so you can at least tank the hit and move on while you're invincible. The Vs. version gives you absolutely nothing here. If you're small going into 5-2, you may as well start over, unless you're really good at dodging hammers.

The game is weird in that it actually gets significantly easier once you make it past world 6. IIRC, world 8 is largely identical to the original NES version.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

univbee posted:

Oh was it just France? I played a bit of that version and yeah, it was messy. The sandwich bit was "un repas" (a meal).

French itself just requires too many drat letters to say stuff. You know how some NES games have the problem where there isn't enough memory or text box space to have proper translation, so they just stiffly do it? With French it's worse again than that.

France (and other European nations) got Terranigma, though, and they'll always have that one over America.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I have an N64 that powers on but doesn't output audio or video. I've tested all the cables with a functioning N64 and all that so I'm confident the issue is internal. Anyone know what the most common culprit would be? Trying to decide if it's worth my time to repair myself or if I should just sell it for parts/repair.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

I have an N64 that powers on but doesn't output audio or video. I've tested all the cables with a functioning N64 and all that so I'm confident the issue is internal. Anyone know what the most common culprit would be? Trying to decide if it's worth my time to repair myself or if I should just sell it for parts/repair.

By far the most common culprit is that drat expansion pack. Even if you don't have extended memory, there's still electronics in there and it comes loose all the time and makes the system not do anything. Pop it out, scrub the connectors, and try again.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Breadallelogram posted:

Oddly enough, the power switch may also be the culprit. If I push the power switch on mine all the way up, the power light turns on, but I get no sound or video until I nudge it down slightly. Try spraying some contact cleaner directly in the switch and sliding it on/off several times (with the console unplugged, of course).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Breadallelogram posted:

By far the most common culprit is dirty connectors. Clean you slot. Clean your games.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

What the others said, but also make sure the reset button isn't stuck. Contact cleaner or opening it up and giving the button a slight sanding helps. Happened to mine in college, and I would have to pry it back up with a knife blade, so I stopped using it. However, it would sometimes get bumped and I didn't notice it was stuck slightly down, so power light would be on, but not video or sound. I was lazy and didn't reset for over a decade, but Monitor Burn gave it a sanding and that fixed it when he did my RGB mod.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Think of it this way: It's already screwed up. Can't screw it up any more. I would personally work my way in from the top on the edges.

azurite fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 13, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Oh lord no, they simply couldn't manufacture things that way back in the day, at least for cheap components meant for consumer devices (they would do it for important high budget things like spacecraft, high end military equipment, special miniaturized devices). They're designed to allow a good bit of leeway in putting on the encasing bits around the active parts and the pins, to ensure you get as few duds in production as possible.

Dremeling a little bit away on the sides will be fine, you'll see the pins change in size noticeably before you reach the actual sensitive parts.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

By far the most common culprit is that drat expansion pack. Even if you don't have extended memory, there's still electronics in there and it comes loose all the time and makes the system not do anything. Pop it out, scrub the connectors, and try again.

jesus it doesn't even have a jumper pack

guess I figured out problem #1 - thank you all for sharing your knowledge

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, a couple of weeks ago I was poking around eBay and in the Gameboy Color games I found this baby:

Now I like go even though I'm terrible at it. And my school's go club has disbanded so I can't even get a decent game anymore. What this means is that if I spot a go game that I can pick up for less than $2 including shipping from Japan, I'll take it even if I don't have any expectation of the Game Boy Color's processor putting up a fight. So I got my copy of Jissen Yakudatsu Tsumego tonight and the title would have been a hint except my Japanese isn't good enough to recognize the word written in Japanese. See, this isn't a go game; it's essentially a puzzle game based on go.

See Tsumego refers to a particular type of go problem where the typical goal is to insure that your stones are not captured. In English they're called life and death problems because stones that cannot be captured are "alive" and stones that can be captured are "dead". So this cart has 100 puzzles on it along with 15 walk throughs of common positions. I can't say I mind terribly since 100 go puzzles is probably worth more to me than a really lovely AI (and maybe one that could only play a 9x9 board).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

See Tsumego refers to a particular type of go problem where the typical goal is to insure that your stones are not captured. In English they're called life and death problems because stones that cannot be captured are "alive" and stones that can be captured are "dead". So this cart has 100 puzzles on it along with 15 walk throughs of common positions. I can't say I mind terribly since 100 go puzzles is probably worth more to me than a really lovely AI (and maybe one that could only play a 9x9 board).

Are there any shogi games focused on tsumeshogi? I've been too lazy about actually learning to play better (still don't remember the basic castles) but checkmating puzzles are hella fun.

I went through a small book of beginning puzzles by Habu that I got through inter-library loan and that was cool. I have no idea where to look for shogi books at Book Off.

• Locked thread