Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The thrill of seething the new dempsey is significantly lessened when it's clear that Ippo's normal punches are nearly killing his opponent.

Edit- really though it's just Ippo being loving dumb because why show off your trump card at this point? it just allows a future, better opponent to develop a counter for it.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
it's always been ippo's strength and weakness set though

new dempsey is just him doing these mixups like a real boxer so he can land those killer blows

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ugggh just kill this guy already.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Monaghan posted:

The thrill of seething the new dempsey is significantly lessened when it's clear that Ippo's normal punches are nearly killing his opponent.

I'm hoping that that's the point. He gets to the end of the fight never having pulled of the improved dempsey and finally realizes he's already strong, he just needs to fight like a real boxer and not rely on gimmicks and he'll continue to grow.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
speculation He's gonna murder this guy and then fight to support his sibling back home. That's his new motivation.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm convinced Morikawa has a version of these panels where Ippo kills all the non-Japanese fighters and he just has Ippo do that over-the-shoulder-open-mouth pose that he does and then everyone'll go ohohoho that's our wind god.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I just caught up with the new chapters and this is what I got

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
In order to draw the fight out even longer Ippo, who just took two chapters figuring out how to get past being foot-blocked, is now taking the next two chapters tripping over the guy's leg and rolling around in the ring. Take this manga out back and shoot it in the head already.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Two new chapters: http://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1192/4589/1

I was ready to get real steamin' mad at Noted Bad Boxer Ippo continuing to gently caress the hell up, but 1193 put it into a good context, and this panel in particular is really good.

Spoilers for next chapter: Ippo glimpses upon the light of the full moon and transforms into the mighty Oozaru, destroying the whole arena.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Flubby posted:

In order to draw the fight out even longer Ippo, who just took two chapters figuring out how to get past being foot-blocked, is now taking the next two chapters tripping over the guy's leg and rolling around in the ring. Take this manga out back and shoot it in the head already.

I think the point is that Ippo is so singularly transfixed on using the new Dempsey that he's ignoring the hundreds of opportunities to remove organs and vaporize his opponent, whose name I can't even be bothered to remember.

It's an actual, legit reason for Ippo to be playing off his game, instead of the whatever thousands of other nonsense reasons we get for Ippo taking massive damage just so he can activate his Samurai Spirit for a turnabout win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i decided to read these chapters after not reading since woli and they should dump all the ice down his trunks again

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Coughing Hobo posted:

I think the point is that Ippo is so singularly transfixed on using the new Dempsey that he's ignoring the hundreds of opportunities to remove organs and vaporize his opponent, whose name I can't even be bothered to remember.

It's an actual, legit reason for Ippo to be playing off his game, instead of the whatever thousands of other nonsense reasons we get for Ippo taking massive damage just so he can activate his Samurai Spirit for a turnabout win.

Yeah, and he's realised it (relatively) quick too. Instead of maybe 8 chapters of him going through the same motions, he's already realised he's messing up somehow, even if he can't quite realise why himself.

He came in strong, had the correct gameplan, the opponent's more or less out of gas, and he's still not got it in the bag, even though everyone else, opponents included, think he's got it in the bag.

Doesn't excuse all those other fights tho.

Jose posted:

i decided to read these chapters after not reading since woli and they should dump all the ice down his trunks again

Go back to just before chapter 1,000 and start reading, you missed out on a great Volg fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm confused because I last stopped reading after Ippo whipped out the new Dempsey and seemed like he was about to totally own this opponent. How in the world is the fight still going on?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I'm confused because I last stopped reading after Ippo whipped out the new Dempsey and seemed like he was about to totally own this opponent. How in the world is the fight still going on?

Turns out Ippo is really good at punching but really bad at boxing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that coach isn't holding a towel it's just a really flexible piece of flypaper, how many times is he gonna try to throw that poo poo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its worse than rocky 4

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He's blatantly padding out the story to build suspense and anticipation.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this is getting torturous

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

He might lose though!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Maybe the author is waiting until #2000 for Ippo to unleash the new Dempsey, and we'll see an explosive win to celebrate the release of the chapter?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i like when ippo is mad. He should brutally knock this guy out

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

In another AnJ homage, Ippo kills a guy in the ring

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ippo becomes insanely dark as he kills every opponent in the ring but for some reason he keeps getting fights

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eight-Six posted:

In another AnJ homage, Ippo kills a guy in the ring

Centzon Totochtin posted:

*snuffs out a man's life*
ippo: but what does it mean... to be strong?????

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Jose posted:

ippo becomes insanely dark as he kills every opponent in the ring but for some reason he keeps getting fights

"Th-that's our Wind God!!"

"Yeah! Show them the spirit of Japan!"

*cut to the stone-faced wife of the fallen boxer standing over his headless corpse*

"I guess we have a lot to learn about Japan!"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is my reading too, he's throwing a given win because of this. But come on, tripping and rolling around the ring like a jackass? Repeatedly? Really?

Also knowing this manga there won't be any actual learnings or developments from it, or at best an rear end-backwards one. "I'm strong like living steel, but don't know even the basics of boxing... I guess... it's my fault for not trusting my coach enough! He got me to this point after all! I just gotta trust harder"

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 27, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Next chapter, Ippo discovers that he can use the rolling to add further momentum to the Dempsey Roll and attack from all-new angles.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Next level of the Dempsey is the 4th dimension. He's going to attack in the past present and future while weaving in and out between timelines.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Dexo posted:

Next level of the Dempsey is the 4th dimension. He's going to attack in the past present and future while weaving in and out between timelines.

He will attack the Woli fight then.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
We find out that the 4-D Dempsey roll was what killed Ippo's dad all those years ago, when a temporal liver blow knocks him off the stern of his boat in the storm

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
N-Nani!?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this fight was going pretty well too. it was nice to see a newly motivated ippo do what he needed to do, even if he was a little obsessive w/ the new dempsey. this tripping falling brain damage maybe who the gently caress knows poo poo is tedious just pick one and go with it

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

that stuff becomes awkward when fighting southpaws isn't strange though. They can mess with even elite boxers, make them look lost.
It makes sense for Ippo to trip on feet and stuff, he's no technician.

on another note its funny how takamura is chiding ippo for losing control.. i mean come on now

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wild Horses posted:

on another note its funny how takamura is chiding ippo for losing control.. i mean come on now

Hey, come on, he's always in control, like in that fight where he only threw uppercuts. That's some control right there!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

takamuras good enough he can afford to lose control

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

And Ippo is a brick shithouse. I mean he can win right here just by angry punching

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I want some one to love me like Ippo loves the Dempsey roll

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i legit want ippo to kill someone in the ring

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jose posted:

i legit want ippo to kill someone in the ring

he's trying his damnedest to kill himself so you'll get your wish soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

that stuff becomes awkward when fighting southpaws isn't strange though. They can mess with even elite boxers, make them look lost.
It makes sense for Ippo to trip on feet and stuff, he's no technician.

Ippo has been boxing for like 10 years or some poo poo, you'd think he would have had some opportunities to properly train against southpaws by now.